• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gorillaz Album titled "Humanz" releases April 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course. I'm not talking about different songs. But when they say "alternative versions" of songs, my mind doesn't immediately go to remixes, but to things like demos (like DARE/People for example), or maybe some extended versions like Justin Vernon did with the last Bon Iver record. If they are all going to be remixes by different artists, that would be a tad disappointing, no matter how good the remixes are. Especially if they end up on things like Spotify (they will end up on torrents anyway, but still). They call it "an exclusive alternate version" in the official description. The thing comes out in August. Those remixes wouldn't be "exclusive" since they're already on streaming services.

Yeah of course! I'm super excited for the artbook. Who knows what we might end up getting. But as a graphic designer myself, a drawing like the ones they use for interviews can be made in like a day. Less, even. Of course there goes way more into a piece than just drawing it, but 2 years is a long time for a 56-page artbook and a music video that uses a lot of 3D animation and a lot of in-between frames that were probably done by a studio. I'm not saying that he might be working on something for an album after Humanz, but there's (probably) more coming than just this 1 video and this 1 artbook. I'm excited, haha.
Yeah I think you'll get demo's and B-sides, maybe versions with swapped lyrics etc on the other side of the vinyl
Also I totally feel ya on the art book, I'm no graphic designer myself or anywhere near a professional artist but one of the things that have stayed consistent since I was very young is that I've been really into making visual art and music and Gorillaz started all that for me. So getting to have the art book and vinyl is very very special to me and my inner child is screaming.

Ranking time? 1. Yeezus, no wait.

1. El Mañana
  2. Feel Good Inc.
  3. Do Ya Thing (full version)

Those first two are locked forever, then third could've been a ton of things. Stop the Dams, Empire Ants, Clint Eastwood, Sound Check (Gravity), Every Planet We Reach is Dead, and so on.

Ranking time? 1. Yeezus, no wait.

1. El Mañana
  2. Feel Good Inc.
  3. Do Ya Thing (full version)

Those first two are locked forever, then third could've been a ton of things. Stop the Dams, Empire Ants, Clint Eastwood, Sound Check (Gravity), Every Planet We Reach is Dead, and so on.
So now I know you're a blasphemer.

DarkKyo

Top 3 is near impossible to choose as I have like 10 favorites that I can't imagine sorting favorite to least favorite... but...

Hmm...
Doncamatic
Tomorrow Comes Today
Empire Ants

-GJ-

^ I don't know a lot of people that like Doncamatic. A bold choice, I like it.

For me it's;

1. Tomorrow Comes Today
2. El Mañana
3. Feel Good Inc.

Van Bur3n

Got to say, Let Me Out is growing on me. Saturnz Barz is still my favorite though. I've been addicted to that song for a while now.

Top 3 for me:

1. Feel Good Inc.
2. Empire Ants
3. Every Planet We Reach is Dead

Stoze

I basically stated this before but my top 3 is:

Do Ya Thing (Full version)
Stop the Dams
Hong Kong

Left Hand Suzuki Method is probably a close 4th.

Jzero

How can you guys even pick 3?

My top on last FM are

• Andromeda
• The Parish of Space Dust
• On Melancholy Hill
• Amarillo
• Empire Ants
• Little Pink Plastic Bags

Top three Gorillaz?

Demon Days
Pirate Jet
All Alone (this one can be replaced by maybe five songs, but in this moment I'd say this)

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Let Me Out is pretty awesome. Really pumped for this album,
and I never really even listened to Gorillaz until two weeks ago.

Saturn Barz is probably still my favorite track from the ones they've released from this latest ablum.

I loved some of the dancehall influence we heard in tracks like Demon Days, so it was cool to see a Popcaan collab here.

KeRaSh

Top 3 is near impossible to choose as I have like 10 favorites that I can't imagine sorting favorite to least favorite... but...

Hmm...
Doncamatic
Tomorrow Comes Today
Empire Ants

Great list!

^ I don't know a lot of people that like Doncamatic. A bold choice, I like it.

For me it's;

1. Tomorrow Comes Today
2. El Mañana
3. Feel Good Inc.

I looove Doncamatic!

Doncamatic is awesome.

It is!

Top three? Wow. Not sure that's possible.

I think I feel pretty good about my number 1 but after that there are like 5 #2s and a bunch of #3s...

1. Tomorrow Comes Today
2. Doncamatic / Ascension / Empire Ants / November Has Come
3. Clint Eastwood / Feel Good Inc / Dare / El Manana / Rhinestone Eyes

And I'm still leaving some out...

Great list!

I looove Doncamatic!

It is!

Top three? Wow. Not sure that's possible.

I think I feel pretty good about my number 1 but after that there are like 5 #2s and a bunch of #3s...

1. Tomorrow Comes Today
2. Doncamatic / Ascension / Empire Ants / November Has Come
3. Clint Eastwood / Feel Good Inc / Dare / El Manana / Rhinestone Eyes

And I'm still leaving some out...

Rhinestone Eyes is incredible. It's amazing.

Because I'm in such a crazy Gorillaz mood right now I'm gonna rank Plastic Beach and Demon Days.

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

Demon Days:

1. Feel Good Inc.
2. Kids with Guns
3. El Manana
4. Last Living Souls
5. O Green World
6. Every Planet We Reach is Dead
7. Demon Days
8. DARE
9. Dirty Harry
10. November Has Come
11. Don't Get Lost in Heaven
12. All Alone
13. Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head
14. White Light

Plastic Beach:

1. Rhinestone Eyes
2. On Melancholy Hill
3. Empire Ants
4. Superfast Jellyfish
5. Stylo
6. To Binge
7. Broken
8. Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach
9. Some Kind of Nature
10. White Flag
11. Glitter Freeze
12. Sweepstakes
13. Plastic Beach
14. Pirate Jet
15. Cloud of Unknowing

Plastic Beach's highs are soooooooo high, but the second of the list just is not nearly as good as the 2nd half of the Demon Days. Not even close. But the Top 5 is fucking GOOOD. There were some songs in Plastic Beach that I had to go back to and listen cause I had completely frogotten them even though I just listened to the album in full. Demons Days doesn't have that at all. I know every last one of those songs as soon as I read the name except for White Light.

Qasiel

Oooh, top 3...

1. El Mañana
2. On Melancholy Hill
3. Feel Good Inc.
-------
4. Clint Eastwood
5. 19 - 2000 (Soulchild Remix)

Top three?

1) November Has Come
2) Dirty Harry
3) Feel Good Inc

---------------
Honorable non-Demon Days mentions:
1) Some Kind of Nature
2) 19-2000 (FIFA 02, anyone?)
3) Clint Eastwood

Because I'm in such a crazy Gorillaz mood right now I'm gonna rank Plastic Beach and Demon Days.

Demon Days:

1. Feel Good Inc.
2. Kids with Guns
3. El Manana
4. Last Living Souls
5. O Green World
6. Demon Days
7. DARE
8. November Has Come
9. Dirty Harry
10. Every Planet We Reach is Dead
12. All Alone
14. White Light

Plastic Beach:

1. Rhinestone Eyes
2. On Melancholy Hill
3. Empire Ants
4. Superfast Jellyfish
5. Stylo
6. To Binge
7. Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach
8. Some Kind of Nature
9. White Flag
10. Glitter Freeze
11. Sweepstakes
12. Plastic Beach
13. Pirate Jet
14. Broken
15. Cloud of Unknowing

Plastic Beach's highs are soooooooo high, but the second of the list just is not nearly as good as the 2nd half of the Demon Days. Not even close. But the Top 5 is fucking GOOOD. There were some songs in Plastic Beach that I had to go back to and listen cause I had completely frogotten them even though I just listened to the album in full. Demons Days doesn't have that at all. I know every last one of those songs as soon as I read the name except for White Light.

Every Planet We Reach is Dead is the secret GOAT Demon Days song

Demon Days:
1. Every Planet We Reach is Dead
2. Dirty Harry
3. Feel Good Inc.
4. O Green World
5. All Alone
6. Last Living Souls
7. Demon Days
8. DARE
9. El Manana
10. Don't Get Lost in Heaven
11. November Has Come
12. Kids With Guns
13. White Light
14. Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head

Plastic Beach:
1. Empire Ants
2. On Melancholy Hill
3. Rhinestone Eyes
4. Broken
5. To Binge
6. Superfast Jellyfish
7. Cloud of Unknowing
8. Some Kind of Nature
9. Stylo
10. Sweepstakes
11. Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach
12. White Flag
13. Plastic Beach
14. Pirate Jet
15. Glitter Freeze

Don't think I can do a top 3 overall though.

Catvoca

Banned

Demon Days:

1. Feel Good Inc.
2. Kids with Guns
3. El Manana
4. Last Living Souls
5. O Green World
6. Demon Days
7. DARE
8. November Has Come
9. Dirty Harry
10. Every Planet We Reach is Dead
12. All Alone
14. White Light

Plastic Beach:

1. Rhinestone Eyes
2. On Melancholy Hill
3. Empire Ants
4. Superfast Jellyfish
5. Stylo
6. To Binge
7. Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach
8. Some Kind of Nature
9. White Flag
10. Glitter Freeze
11. Sweepstakes
12. Plastic Beach
13. Pirate Jet
14. Broken
15. Cloud of Unknowing

The fuck is broken doing down so low? I love that song

The fuck is broken doing down so low? I love that song

Don't remember it much :/

Will give it a relisten. Maybe I missed something...

E: yeah it's good :lol don't know how I missed it.

Every Planet We Reach is Dead is the secret GOAT Demon Days song

It's so good...think I would actually put it at 6...

Listening to it now...SO GREAT.

Looking back at these albums like...Demon Days is a COMPLETE package. Probably the most complete package in any album I've seen. Plastic Beach's highs are SOOOO high though. Superfast Jellyfish has some of the best lyrics and rhymes in any of their songs...

NotLiquid

So uh, I have to be honest - after last night's shocking events I'm kinda finding a few of the tracks here to have a... much more profound effect on me with their messaging.

Anyways my personal Top 3. It changes often so this in no way is gonna stick.

1. On Melancholy Hill
2. El Mañana
3. Every Planet We Reach Is Dead

NotLiquid

Ascension just clicked with me.

That was the last song out of all of them that I didn't really have too much of an opinion on.

Yonafunu

It's completely impossible for me to make a top anything of Gorillaz, so much of it is based on my mood at any particular moment. The only thing that's actually consistent for me is that Empire Ants is a top 3 song.

NotLiquid

I kind of get the album art they went with now. It's the most realistic art Hewlett has drawn of the band members, it tries humanizing the cartoon characters which makes sense for the album title.

AdanVC

Top five songs to me would be:

5.- Stylo
4.- Rock the House
3.- Tomorrow Comes Today
2.- Feel Good Inc.
1.- Empire Ants.

Honorable mentions to Andromeda. Rlly gud!

NotLiquid

Okay so, I haven't actually listened to Hallelujah Money since any of the 5 recent tracks came out cause it wasn't on any streaming services and the original link was unlisted.

I tried re-listening to it and other than me now loving this song I queued up We Got The Power almost immediately after the end of the song to imagine how it'd be on the album.

I feel like I just fucking ascended.

Okay so, I haven't actually listened to Hallelujah Money since any of the 5 recent tracks came out cause it wasn't on any streaming services and the original link was unlisted.

I tried re-listening to it and other than me now loving this song I queued up We Got The Power almost immediately after the end of the song to imagine how it'd be on the album.

I feel like I just fucking ascended.

Ascension, Andromeda, and Saturnz Barz are fun, and I really dig them. But stuff like Let Me Out and Hallelujah Money are on a completely different plane and I really love that stuff.

And yeah, Hallelujah Money into We Got the Power is really fantastic. Would've been amazing hearing that 1-2 for the first time on the album.

KingDirk

Rhinestone Eyes is incredible. It's amazing.

Hell yeah, man. The sampled voice in the background gets me going.

Plastic Beach is my fave Gorillaz album, though. I think it's their most cohesive album and peeps on here seem way down on it which bums me out.

Also I have loved every song I have heard on Humanz so far. "Saturnz Barz" is prolly my favorite. Friend described it as dancehall written in Silent Hill.

Ridisc

Banned
Ascension, we got the power and Let me out are incredible, tier 1 for me, the rest sort of pass me by

The remixes are...not my thing.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Saturn Barz and We Got The Power remixes are where its at
Don't like the Ascension remix and Andromeda was a snore, which is a shame as its my favourite track so fa

I have NO idea how people are able to rank their favourite songs. It'd be easier for me to just list the few Gorillaz songs I don't love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom