• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gorillaz Album titled "Humanz" releases April 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Never liked the idea of having a featured artist on every single song, especially when the "featured" artist is actually 80% of the song and Gorillaz 20% lol. Also doesn't help that it's mostly rap.

every gorillaz song is a featured artist tho 🤔

You think the album version won't have the honks? I hope so. Would be shitty if Damon had to acquiesce to people whining about politics in a Gorillaz album, but I don't think he'd do that given all their albums have been pretty overtly political.

Apple music has the honks in it, that's where I listened to it.

NotLiquid

I think after a few listens this is one of those songs I think I like for its overall lyricism/message as opposed to it's instrumentation but I think it sort of juxtaposes things well in this regard as well. I think a lot of people will groan at the very overt highlighting of Obama and Trump but it makes sense for the narrative; Pusha T's lines come from this insecure, weak place of desperation who is latching perversely onto a figurative deity or person of power to solve the problems in the world, with Mavis being that person in this case - and Mavis' lyrics while serene and inspiring have an overall tone of "tough shit, you're gonna have to deal with it". At a surface value the song might seem preachy but I think it's sort of deceptive since it feels like it has a nice message about persistence - even if the song ends somewhat poignantly as, despite 2-D having convinced himself he's not going to grow any less complacent, Pusha keeps chanting "let me out" by the end of it, almost like a lamentation and that he's too weak for the task at hand.

It's an interesting dichotomy and certainly one of the more thought provoking songs from the album thus far. It's not too glamorous but I think it mixes Mavis' gospel talents well with Pusha's bars, and I think bringing such diverse talents together under Gorillaz's production is what defines them as a band rather than any specific "sound".

Gorillaz

Yea don't mind featuers it's more of the fact if the features themselves vibe with Damon's approach or if they are just doing their own thing. Let Me Out isn't bad but it feels too restraint to call it FGI 2.0. But it feels like this is the albums FGI.

I think Rhinestone Eyes hit that mark a little better. It's not bad tho especially for the random pusha gorillaz colab

Fjordson

re: features, while just about every track has a feature, tracks like Busted & Blue and Andromeda show how incredibly subtle some of these features actually are so I wouldn't say they hog things up.
Yeah, not every feature is the same thing. Some are like Neneh Cherry on Kids With Guns or Tina Weymouth on 19-2000.

Aurongel

I 100% agree with the sentiment that Let Me Out is almost a good song but lacks that final oomph. I kinda get the feeling that it'll flow well into the next song of the album because of how it kinda builds towards seemingly nothing.

daripad

I actually feel that these new songs are too short, it's like the album needs to be a huge one single thing because they don't feel that good by themselves.

hughesta

Banned
You think the album version won't have the honks? I hope so. Would be shitty if Damon had to acquiesce to people whining about politics in a Gorillaz album, but I don't think he'd do that given all their albums have been pretty overtly political.
Honks were added because the song was recorded before Trump even got the Republican nomination and Damon wanted it to feel relevant during any situation.

Can't see why it would. It's one thing when it's streaming/on the Radio, and when you're straight up name dropping Presidents like Trump and Obama in this political climate it's kind of a different level. But there would be no reason to censor it on an album, if Damon didn't want it on the song he would've asked Pusha to change it rather than just censoring it. This album is pretty anti Trump so I don't think they have any reason to pussy out on the actual album.

Edit: reading the Reddit comments of triggered Trump supporters really drives that idea home for me.

Yo what the fuck with Amazon. They better not seriously expect me to pay separately for downloading let me out when I already preordered and paid for the full album. Probably an error with their system

Can't see why it would. It's one thing when it's streaming/on the Radio, and when you're straight up name dropping Presidents like Trump and Obama in this political climate it's kind of a different level. But there would be no reason to censor it on an album, if Damon didn't want it on the song he would've asked Pusha to change it rather than just censoring it. This album is pretty anti Trump so I don't think they have any reason to pussy out on the actual album.

Edit: reading the Reddit comments of triggered Trump supporters really drives that idea home for me.

Just downloaded the iTunes album track and it still has the honks. I like that it at least honks the amount of syllables in their names lol

Just downloaded the iTunes album track and it still has the honks. I like that it at least honks the amount of syllables in their names lol
I'd say wait for the actual album release, I'm thinking (hoping) at the very least the physical ones aren't censored. But right now it looks like the only version they sent out was the censored one.

hughesta

Banned
I will guarantee you guys right now that the honks will be present on the album. maybe the alternate versions won't have them, but the album we're getting on 4/28 will absolutely have them.

Yeah it's the De La Soul one.

Let Me Out has grown on me a lot, as I expected it might. The beat is awesome.

Nice. That one's gonna be amazing though...mark my words: Sex Murder Party is going to rock the socks off of us. I feel it. With the collabs on it? It's gonna be good.

Realeza

Banned
Every song is fire. Things are looking really promising for the album, and it might end up matching Plastic Beach, which I think is as good as Demon Days.

Wasn't planning on listening to it, but I had to listen to this honk thing for myself. Totally overblown. It feels more like a stylish censor than an actual one. Definitely seems like it's building up to the next track, and if Sex Murder Party is what everyone says it is, goddamn I can't wait.

All six tracks have been great so far. Really loving the vibe of all of these songs.

Nice. That one's gonna be amazing though...mark my words: Sex Murder Party is going to rock the socks off of us. I feel it. With the collabs on it? It's gonna be good.

I'm unfamiliar with the guests but with a name like sex murder party you can't go wrong

I'm excited to hear Submission. I haven't listened to the live version but I imagine Danny Brown is a perfect fit for the vibe they're going for on this album.

NotLiquid

I haven't heard it but I assume Sex Murder Party is the designated "banger" of the record? (a la Punk, White Light and Glitter Freeze)

I remember every interview/track-by-track breakdown that Gorillaz did for their albums from the fictional band members' perspective featured Murdoc saying every album needs a "heavy" track like that or else he's not interested.

hughesta

Banned
Sex Murder Party is kind of a slow, evolving jam. Not a rocker or a banger. Structurally it reminds me more of Double Bass than anything else.

I'm actually looking forward to driving around the field for work tomorrow, get to listen to the song in my car's sweet sound system instead of my laptop's crappy speakers haha.

Sex Murder Party is good but it's not like "holy shit" good imo
The live version of Let Me Out and Momentz are though.

I'm ready for Momentz. Think that's going to be the Feel Good Inc. hopefully.

I'm unfamiliar with the guests but with a name like sex murder party you can't go wrong

I'm excited to hear Submission. I haven't listened to the live version but I imagine Danny Brown is a perfect fit for the vibe they're going for on this album.

I haven't heard it but I assume Sex Murder Party is the designated "banger" of the record? (a la Punk, White Light and Glitter Freeze)

I remember every interview/track-by-track breakdown that Gorillaz did for their albums from the fictional band members' perspective featured Murdoc saying every album needs a "heavy" track like that or else he's not interested.

Sex Murder Party is kind of a slow, evolving jam. Not a rocker or a banger. Structurally it reminds me more of Double Bass than anything else.

I was unfamiliar with the guests as well, but I went and checked them out. It's going to have a sweet beat and take us back to Plastic Beach I feel with the vocals. Haven't heard it yet but I'm using my flawless intuition. :lol

-GJ-

I really don't like the Ascension remix, the rest are great though. As a huge Bonobo fan I really love this remix, but the We Got The Power remix really surprised me. I'm not sure if I want these tracks to end up as the flips in the deluxe vinyl box, I'd rather have 'official' alternate versions (by Damon, be it demo's or vip's) rather than remixes (remixes aren't confirmed to be in the deluxe box, just speculation), but I can see these ending up as the alternative versions. We'll see!

The remixes are on the super deluxe, not regular iirc.
Deluxe just has bonus tracks. Super deluxe has two sides vinyl for every song with b-sides and remixes.

I'm not paying super deluxe prices. I'd love to give them my money but I don't want vinyl. If they release the remixes in another form via digital I'll buy them asap. I want to give them my money, but they're making it hard if they limit to only that item.

I'm sure they'll come out in some form digitally in this way, but I don't think you can get them physically. Unless you wanna drop $350.

I think that out of the 5 my list goes:

1. Andromeda
- That beat right before the chorus is just incredible, and I love the lyrics. It's one of the Gorillaz best "chillin'" tracks and I live for those.

2. Let Me Out
- Love the beat and the 3 layers of this song. Pusha T starting, then the switch to Mavis, and then 2D topping it all off. The lyrics even if I'm not a huge fan of the "police" line are awesome and strike a chord.

3. Saturnz Barz
-Popcaan is awesome in this song and that reggae feeling works with the Gorillaz style. Again, when 2D starts singing it's really instills a certain type of "HELL YEAH. This is the Gorillaz." feel, and I really really like that.

4. Ascension
- The sky's falling baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash. Awesome beat, and really great use of 2D. Lyrics are great and Vince Staples is great.

5. We've Got the Power
- Honestly the song I sing the most too. It's got some really good lyrics, and the message is great. Jehnny Beth's vocals in this song are straight FIRE. Love it.

LOVE all of them. Seriously. They're all great. I really think that as long as we have the quality of these 2D interjections in every song, I won't even care how much he's in them for. Cause it's so good.

-GJ-

The remixes are on the super deluxe, not regular iirc.
Deluxe just has bonus tracks. Super deluxe has two sides vinyl for every song with b-sides and remixes.

Yeah I got the super deluxe version pre-ordered (bye bye savings), but I need something more than just remixes. Luckily nothing has been confirmed yet, but just remixes would disappoint me a little, I think.

Yeah I got the super deluxe version pre-ordered (bye bye savings), but I need something more than just remixes. Luckily nothing has been confirmed yet, but just remixes would disappoint me a little, I think.

Part of me hopes he has a lot of songs saved up for a possible H-sides

I think that out of the 5 my list goes:

1. Andromeda
- That beat right before the chorus is just incredible, and I love the lyrics. It's one of the Gorillaz best "chillin'" tracks and I live for those.

2. Let Me Out
- Love the beat and the 3 layers of this song. Pusha T starting, then the switch to Mavis, and then 2D topping it all off. The lyrics even if I'm not a huge fan of the "police" line are awesome and strike a chord.

3. Saturnz Barz
-Popcaan is awesome in this song and that reggae feeling works with the Gorillaz style. Again, when 2D starts singing it's really instills a certain type of "HELL YEAH. This is the Gorillaz." feel, and I really really like that.

4. Ascension
- The sky's falling baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash. Awesome beat, and really great use of 2D. Lyrics are great and Vince Staples is great.

5. We've Got the Power
- Honestly the song I sing the most too. It's got some really good lyrics, and the message is great. Jehnny Beth's vocals in this song are straight FIRE. Love it.

LOVE all of them. Seriously. They're all great. I really think that as long as we have the quality of these 2D interjections in every song, I won't even care how much he's in them for. Cause it's so good.

This is probably my order. I'm already not listening to We Got the Power, and once the full album releases I'm likely to also skip Ascension once the full album drops. Nothing against these two songs, I just am not particularly in love with them and I've tried giving them multiple chances.

-GJ-

Part of me hopes he has a lot of songs saved up for a possible H-sides.

There was an article/interview on Pitchfork recently where Damon said he had about 40-45 (I don't remember the exact number) tracks that didn't end up on the album. We don't know if these songs are full songs or like the demo's/unfinished tracks like most of the 70 Plastic Beach leftovers (of which some ended up on other non-Gorillaz projects over the years), but at the least we know there's more music waiting to be finished/released. We also know Jamie has been drawing new Gorillaz stuff for 2 years now. I don't think that's for just one album.

When asked how many songs on the album there were Damon said 26, which the deluxe has (which are all original) so I don't know if you'll be getting any new material. Like Woofington said, Damon will probably be saving that for H-sides since there was 66 songs recorded from the Humanz sessions (26 on album, 40 outstanding). I feel like if there were more on the super deluxe he would've mentioned it. But I'm kinda happy that there isn't, because as much as I'd like to pay $350 for that, I can't so I got the regular vinyl deluxe for $90 (the super deluxe would've actually been around $500 here) and I'm getting the same amount of content and same nice case, just without individual colored vinyl or signatures.

There was an article/interview on Pitchfork recently where Damon said he had about 40-45 (I don't remember the exact number) tracks that didn't end up on the album. We don't know if these songs are full songs or like the demo's/unfinished tracks like most of the 70 Plastic Beach leftovers (of which some ended up on other non-Gorillaz projects over the years), but at the least we know there's more music waiting to be finished/released. We also know Jamie has been drawing new Gorillaz stuff for 2 years now. I don't think that's for just one album.

Jamie always does a LOT of art for a phase. You have to remember that his art isn't just being used for the album and music videos, it gets used for EVERYTHING. Interviews, magazines, promotional material for various things, posters, the whole 9 yards. Then out of that he probably never uses all of it anyway.

Curious. What is everyone's top 3 favorite Gorillaz songs?

If I was to not include Feel Good Inc., Clint Eastwood, or Melancholy Hill:

Empire Ants
Rhinestone Eyes
Kids With Gunz

I am addicted to the rapping parts of Superfast jellyfish, and the melody of Tomorrow Comes Today as well as the entirety of O' Green World. They would probably be my honorable mentions. Also Bobby Womack's vocals in Stylo are legendary. Demon Days also makes me super happy, probably the most emotionally resonating song of theres aside from Empire Ants.

Man all I want is a full Gorillaz movie. Like following them around doing a tour ala Bananaz, but fictional documentary with the actual characters.

This so much...like a dark comedy musical type of deal.

I wish that one day they'll get to make that dark feature film that got turned down. I think in this day and age after Deadpool and Sausage Party and if they blow up again then it can work. The tour idea would be cool though too.

-GJ-

I feel like if there were more on the super deluxe he would've mentioned it.
Of course. I'm not talking about different songs. But when they say "alternative versions" of songs, my mind doesn't immediately go to remixes, but to things like demos (like DARE/People for example), or maybe some extended versions like Justin Vernon did with the last Bon Iver record. If they are all going to be remixes by different artists, that would be a tad disappointing, no matter how good the remixes are. Especially if they end up on things like Spotify (they will end up on torrents anyway, but still). They call it "an exclusive alternate version" in the official description. The thing comes out in August. Those remixes wouldn't be "exclusive" since they're already on streaming services.

Jamie always does a LOT of art for a phase. You have to remember that his art isn't just being used for the album and music videos, it gets used for EVERYTHING. Interviews, magazines, promotional material for various things, posters, the whole 9 yards. Then out of that he probably never uses all of it anyway.
Yeah of course! I'm super excited for the artbook. Who knows what we might end up getting. But as a graphic designer myself, a drawing like the ones they use for interviews can be made in like a day. Less, even. Of course there goes way more into a piece than just drawing it, but 2 years is a long time for a 56-page artbook and a music video that uses a lot of 3D animation and a lot of in-between frames that were probably done by a studio. I'm not saying that he might be working on something for an album after Humanz, but there's (probably) more coming than just this 1 video and this 1 artbook. I'm excited, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom