• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question as I haven't had a chance to read all the previews yet, has it been confirmed that Rockstar are using Euphoria in GTA V ?

Sothpaw

Only thing I don't like is how Franklin will always be the best driver, given that driving is the best part of GTA games. Would be nice if they could drive equally well. Other than that, sounds amazing. Can't wait for the PC version.

ironcreed

Banned
This 3 character setup they're going with is actually rather brilliant, because it allows the player to take on different roles with different behaviors and attitudes, depending on which one they're controlling at the time.

Michael - Low key and conservative who probably obeys the road rules when not on a mission and doesn't go shooting up places

Franklin - Typical gangbanger type. Petty crimes, beating up strangers and jacking cars. Driving like a lunatic.

Trevor - Psychopath who is the type to steal a tank from a military base then go on a rampage.

Seems like a little strategy and RPG elements were implemented to spice things up a bit. This game is sounding like a god damn monster on every level.

Marleyman

Banned
From top to bottom, I think Rockstar has quietly observed all of these wonderful things other games have done since GTA IV and decided to raise the bar 100 miles higher yet again. Take Just Cause 2 and it's empty water environment for instance. But in GTA V, we are also getting scuba diving in fully detailed underwater environments with an ecosystem, sea life, items to find, etc. Just goes to show the benefits of long development cycles that many publishers seem to want to shy away from these days.

Excellent post. Rockstar always takes their time and it seems to always pay off. Some weren't confident they would step it up from GTA IV amazingly; they went beyond stepping it up w/ what we are hearing/seeing for GTA V.

Quick question as I haven't had a chance to read all the previews yet, has it been confirmed that Rockstar are using Euphoria in GTA V ?

Of course, I believe that's a key part of their RAGE engine.

Only thing I don't like is how Franklin will always be the best driver, given that driving is the best part of GTA games. Would be nice if they could drive equally well. Other than that, sounds amazing. Can't wait for the PC version.

I doubt Michael or Trevor will be terrible drivers. In the end they need to make sure that every aspect of the game is fun for all characters. But making each of them the best at something in key areas will make sure that players spend a good amount of time with all of them.

Zep

Banned
I was a little down on the game after reading about the lack of property buying, customization, etc. from the last previews.

They've pulled me back.

Sothpaw

Regenerating health? Oh wow, that's disappointing. Ah well, no game is perfect.

You would rather stop at hotdog stands or burger joints to get your health back? That is one thing I am glad to see go from GTA IV.

It certainly beats getting shot then hiding behind a car for a few seconds to be at full health again. Where is the challenge in that?

MCN

Banned
I feel a little bit sorry for Volition now. I mean, I love Saints Row, but it doesn't even come close to this.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gonna be honest...I was a little down on the game after reading about the lack of property buying, customization, etc. from the last previews.

They've pulled me back.

justwhenithoughtiwasolqc2w.jpg

MormaPope

Banned
You would rather stop at hotdog stands or burger joints to get your health back? That is one thing I am glad to see go from GTA IV.

I've read through lists and seen the previews but is regenerating health confirmed? I really prefer that to health packs and having to track down a vender/fast food joint.

Regenerating health? Oh wow, that's disappointing. Ah well, no game is perfect.

It certainly beats getting shot then hiding behind a car for a few seconds to be at full health again. Where is the challenge in that?

Health management in GTA IV and past GTA's sucked ass big time.

Lakitu

st5fu
I've read through lists and seen the previews but is regenerating health confirmed? I really prefer that to health packs and having to track down a vender/fast food joint.

Tracking back for health using GTA IV's akward controls was annoying, but I'd be happy with no regeneration if they really improve the on-foot controls.

cbox

I'm trying not to hype myself too much, but these previews sound really really good. I installed San Andreas the other day just to cruise around, should be enough to tide over until the launch.

Marleyman

Banned
Gonna be honest...I was a little down on the game after reading about the lack of property buying, customization, etc. from the last previews.

They've pulled me back all the way.

They listened to the core gamers compaints about this and, IMO, delayed the game to implement that amongst other things..or at least I think they did.

They had me at "evolved Max Payne 3 combat system"

UUUUGH.... Now just announce a next gen version so I can double dip.

whaaat? evolved MP3 combat system??? HNNNNNNNNNNGGGG!

didn't have much of a chance to read the previews much since im at work.. i loved MP3 and it's combat system. the news keeps getting better and better for GTA5.. fuck.. i have no 360 or PS3... crap... might have to borrow my bro's 360 again

ironcreed

Banned
Excellent post. Rockstar always takes their time and it seems to always pay off. Some weren't confident they would step it up from GTA IV amazingly; they went beyond stepping it up w/ what we are hearing/seeing for GTA V.

Indeed, they seem to be covering the spectrum for those of us who loved the realism, as well as for those who wanted more of the craziness back. But they are cranking it up to full blast on both accounts, with an abundance of everything you could want in a game like this. I'm just glad we have developers like Rockstar and a publisher like Take Two who actually take the time to be able to reach these kinds of heights. As we can see by the popularity and sales, the payoff is always worth it.

There will be a PC version a few months after most likely.

Yeah.. not really what I want. I have a powerful enough PC, but none of my friends play on PC. So I would like a console version. Also I thought they usually take a long time porting to PC?

I will gladly double dip and buy both versions if they have next gen.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Max Payne 3 combat in an open sand box?! HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

MormaPope

Banned
Tracking back for health using GTA IV's akward controls was annoying, but I'd be happy with no regeneration if they really improve the on-foot controls.

RDR handled it perfectly, health regeneration is slow so you have to be extremely focused on not letting enemies flank you or get the jump on you, along with items that could be used to make your health jump back up quickly.

Hell, maybe each character will have an item that heals them. Michael has a flask full of whiskey and a swig will raise his health back up far more quickly, Michael's slow mo special also regenerates.

Franklin smokes a weed joint that raises his health at a faster rate than before and takes more accurate shots, movement is slightly slowed, and smoking a joint while driving makes his special meter go up far more quickly.

Trevor puts coke on his finger or knuckle and snorts it. Health is maxed out, and his movement/aiming speed is far better. Trevor's special meter is depleted from doing coke though.

Regenerating health and MP3 gunplay are a godsend. I hope they let the MP3 team design all the on-foot controls, with the very first step being to get rid of the hold-a-button-to-jog bullshit. I don't want to have to mash A for 90% of the time I spend playing the game, Rockstar.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Man, I was looking forward to GTA5 but I wasn't overly hyped, but god damn I have totally bought a ticket for the hype train, ChooChoo!

It's silly, but I would love it if they let us steal a bus and pick up people, VC let you do this and you would slowly get money for it iirc, but they never got off again. Small things like this has always made Rockstar games one of the finest so I hope they continue.

I said ot in the trailer topic, but It would be a crime if this doesn't end up on both Durango and PS4 at some point.

Montresor

god damn at having Max Payne 3's gunplay, even to the point of having the X reticle with headshots and all

this is all that I wanted

Are you for real??? Fucking wow. The X reticule in Max Payne 3 is for any kill, not just headshots FFS.

Joking. About my tone. Not about the reticule. =)

Or first aid packs, or pills; anything that requires some player agency.
I like this. I wouldn't mind managing health in GTA games if we could have health related items in our inventory. That way we can stack up for a mission. Hell, I'd be fine with cooldowns so we couldn't spam them too.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I hope for multiplayer Rockstar removes the soft lock playlists, multi should be (IMO of course) free aim only as it causes a split in the playerbase. I guess with GTA V though playerbase numbers wouldn't be much of a problem. Give me some MP3 style slow mo MP matches please.....why yes please.

MormaPope

Banned
I like this. I wouldn't mind managing health in GTA games if we could have health related items in our inventory. That way we can stack up for a mission. Hell, I'd be fine with cooldowns so we couldn't spam them too.

It'd be awesome if health management was tied to items instead of food places and random pickups. I just don't want green magic packs to be the main way of saving yourself during missions.

Montresor

Can GAF please let me know I'm not the only one who loved the side mission where you get a clue and a picture of a car via text and then you have to find that car, like a treasure hunt in the streets of Liberty City. I think the guy who texts you those missions in GTAIV is called Stevie.

It wasn't very difficult. But whenever the clue was a road or even an intersection (aka a freebie) I would love pulling out the paper map that came with the game and running along the roads with my finger trying to physically spot the road/intersection on paper and then comparing that with the in-game map.

Top Bottom