• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Aleph

Weather really is something I'm most excited about. Those storms in Red Dead were so utterly perfect...

Yep, that's exactly what came into mind after seeing these screens. In the RDR storms you could hear the thunder, wind and the rain, and see the lighting at the distance. It looks like R* is taking a lot of elements from previous games and using them to improve GTAV (MP3 shooting, RDR random encounters)

the water does indeed look awesome, my main worry now is framerate.

Yes, it may (will?) be a problem. I only played the 360 version and PC version... the 360 one had an acceptable framerate at most times... don't know about the PS3 version.

Weather really is something I'm most excited about. Those storms in Red Dead were so utterly perfect...

It'd be pretty damn amazing if natural disasters like hurricanes were dynamic. You could hear about one coming on the radio stations and/or see people boarding up their homes etc. Then to finally have a massive hurricane roll in with wind gusts, pouring rain everywhere and kicking up street signs, trees, floods, etc.

Maybe for GTA VI :p

ironcreed

Banned
I'm jumping the gun way ahead here but all of this actually has me thinking wtf kind of magic Rockstar will pull next gen. HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG.

Believe!

RedDeadRedemption-Multi-Edit029.jpg

MCN

Banned
It'd be pretty damn amazing if natural disasters like hurricanes were dynamic. You could hear about one coming on the radio stations and/or see people boarding up their homes etc. Then to finally have a massive hurricane roll in with wind gusts, pouring rain everywhere and kicking up street signs, trees, floods, etc.

Depending on how far into next-gen GTA6 comes, and whether they create a new engine or just refine RAGE further, it may end up being cut-down again like 4 was.

SRTtoZ

People are hyped because R* are addressing a lot of the complaints of GTA4 like the gunplay, lack of stuff to buy, lack of customization, lack of stuff to do , etc. They are also bringing back various features from past games that people loved like wildlife, buying properties, leveling up stats, more customization, gangs, etc.

Exactly. Not only that, but because since GTA4 has come out both MP3 and RDR have come out and R* has shown they listen and can adapt. RDR improved basically every single open world element since GTA4 and then MP3 gave us some of the most cinematic, awesome shooting, TPS ive played this gen. I've been playing through MP3 on PC and I forgot how fucking great this game is (specifically the shooting and busting through windows in bullet time with music playing). I trust them by now.

Raptomex

This is one of the most ambitious games I've ever seen. I glad to see my wish for a big arsenal is coming true.

R* just needs to avoid polluting the game with stylized cut-scenes ala Max Payne 3... i really felt those really ruined the sense of immersion.

Raiden

Banned
Man, i'm going to be terrified when i get shot mid-air and have to crashland in the ocean. Deep water and sharks are my biggest fear in games. I still have nightmares about certain Mario 64 and Banjo & Kazooie levels.

I'll love it!

I remember reading last Fall when the GI cover came out, that there was gonna be an original score for this game as well as radio stations.

If those turned out to be true then my god, Rockstar is going balls deep with this game and rightfully so.

Artex

Banned
Rockstar don't want to spend a fuckton of money porting it to machines that have no user base. Did San Andreas get a next-gen version?

Stop living in dreamworld.

SA didn't release a month before the next generation of consoles though...

dreamfall

Seriously, the stuff of dreams! More dynamic weather would be incredible- storms and their effects in game would be amazing to witness.

I loved all the different weather elements in Red Dead. Snow in Tall Trees, rain in Thieves Landing, and the sunshine in Diez Coronas- there was a lot of variety that I really appreciated! But thunderstorms were so rad!

ScOULaris

Holy fucking shit. I love these info-dump previews for upcoming GTA games. I am hyped beyond words, which means that the wait until September is gonna be unbearable.

GTA IS BACK!!!

i'm shoveling coal into the hype train as i type... how is that physically possible when i'm already using my two hands you say? BELIEVE!!!

The Edge article preview at the link mentioned regenerating health... and I'm actually glad. GTA is one series where I'd love to have it.

Harder, better, faster, stronger rampages

abundant

I remember reading last Fall when the GI cover came out, that there was gonna be an original score for this game as well as radio stations.

If those turned out to be true then my god, Rockstar is going balls deep with this game and rightfully so.

I have to mention the music. No, not the radio stuff. There's an actual original score now that you'll hear in missions and other activities that immerse you into the experience like never before. There was an absolutely peaceful musical score playing while flying through the sky in the parachute, and then a different one while we were underwater.

Missions like Blitz Play also offer a dynamic score that changes to match with whatever is happening on the screen, like in Max Payne 3. I'm sure the radio stations will be filled with amazing things like before, but I'm actually more excited for these original scores that adds so much more to what you're doing.
From Destructoid.

The Edge article preview at the link mentioned regenerating health... and I'm actually glad. GTA is one series where I'd love to have it.

The GI article mentioned how it regenerates up to 50%. There's also going to be different types of armor apparently.

MCN

Banned
GTA IS BACK!!!

i'm shoveling coal into the hype train as i type... how is that physically possible when i'm already using my two hands you say? BELIEVE!!!

I've never left the hype train! GTA is by far my favourite series ever. I want to have Rockstar's babies.

amnesiac

I hope this doesn't come out for next gen consoles. I don't want to buy one yet, nor do I want to pay for an inferior version.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I just wish there was a larger emphasis on shoot-dodging and a lesser emphasis on cover. In Max Payne 3, of course, not GTA.

I didn't really use much cover in MP3 at all on normal or on hard difficulty (in terms of just staying behind cover). When staying still and hiding behind cover you are at your most vulnerable, it's when you are jumping around/in slow mo you won't get hit as much. You of course did have to be careful but I just used cover to quickly position myself between shoot dodges :p They did tone it down in terms of you couldn't refill your slow mo bar by shooting fools which was a bit shit. Fantastic game though.

It does have me curious about player movement in GTA though. In MP3 the combat was much improved (some of the best this gen) but I found Max a little bit sluggish in his control. I know his character was an older alcoholic but in comparison to playing MP3 on PC the difference was night and day in responsiveness and much more fun on that platform (for me anyway). But then I've always had a problem with character movement in Rockstars games since they moved to the RAGE engine, they've gotten much better with each game but they've never felt 'right' to me. MP3 on PC was near enough perfect though but I guess a combination of higher framerate and mouse control contributed to that too.

I like what I'm reading though, sounds like they are really going headfirst into all the complaints with GTA IV. I'd love to see the drug deal mini game from Chinatown Wars make it into the full game. Having full on gang wars over product :p Still, the thought of slow mo in a new GTA game has me absolutely drooling. I won't fall for the hype the way I did for GTA IV but it's off to a good start :)

solarus

I just wish there was a larger emphasis on shoot-dodging and a lesser emphasis on cover. In Max Payne 3, of course, not GTA.
Yeah i can agree with this, it was difficult to slow mo jump all the time because you would get slaughtered in seconds once you were out of cover.

This 3 character setup they're going with is actually rather brilliant, because it allows the player to take on different roles with different behaviors and attitudes, depending on which one they're controlling at the time.

Michael - Low key and conservative who probably obeys the road rules when not on a mission and doesn't go shooting up places

Franklin - Typical gangbanger type. Petty crimes, beating up strangers and jacking cars. Driving like a lunatic.

Trevor - Psychopath who is the type to steal a tank from a military base then go on a rampage.

ironcreed

Banned
From top to bottom, I think Rockstar has quietly observed all of these wonderful things other games have done since GTA IV and decided to raise the bar 100 miles higher yet again. Take Just Cause 2 and it's empty water environment for instance. But in GTA V, we are also getting scuba diving in fully detailed underwater environments with an ecosystem, sea life, items to find, etc. Just goes to show the benefits of long development cycles that many publishers seem to want to shy away from these days.

I'm speechless with everything I just read. My hype level is through the roof, the sky and into the high heavens. I'd probably faint if they announced a PC version.

First person mod + Oculus Rift...glorious

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
They had me at "evolved Max Payne 3 combat system"

UUUUGH.... Now just announce a next gen version so I can double dip.

Top Bottom