• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Oh god, so much info to read through. I'm loving what I'm reading/hearing so far though.

Was it mentioned what system they demoed the game on? I know they demoed it before on the PS3, I'm just hoping it's not a shitty port this time.

The_Monk

This might be a long shot but do fellow GAFfers remember when they asked for feedback/ideas for some missions/factions on their site?

Users sent the information for them and I believe that at least one of those was going to be selected or considered. I sent mine long time ago, just for fun. I wonder if anyone in here wrote something for them.

Gabeking

From what I have read it also says that you can add to your bought properties, such as a helipad.

xgb1a45cn6.gif

Where did you read that?!

Muffdraul

The EDGE preview has me excited about the multiple characters having their own 'lives' away from player control - but I'm equally cautious about how this will really work.

Part of the appeal for open world games is immersion into the world, and it might be a bit jarring to switch characters to find them engaged in a gunfight or something drastically away from the player's mindset.

This is precisely the one thing that rubs me the wrong way about this game having multiple characters. A big part of the draw for me in these games is that I get to inhabit a character from start to finish. This breaks that. But all in all, no big whoop. Not like it's going to ruin the game for me. A minor niggle.

And actually there's one more thing- I don't like it that the map is completely accessible from the get go. Finally unlocking new sections of the map as I progress is a huge endorphin trigger for me.

Whatever, these are minor quibbles lost in the ocean of awesomeness of these previews. Schwing!

Sothpaw

Abilities should have been:

Michael: bargains for more $ upon mission completion.
Franklin: runs faster and has more stamina.
Trevor: ability to ignore damage.

Elixist

I wonder how the mechanic skill works out? Jump out and tinker with your engine or more to do with the paint shops, determines your ability to upgrade with them?

AOC83

Banned
Rockstar don't want to spend a fuckton of money porting it to machines that have no user base. Did San Andreas get a next-gen version?

Stop living in dreamworld.

Yeah because porting the PC version will be very complicated. And the Userbase will be big enough to sell 1-2 million units easily.

Raptomex

I'm loving this whole crew thing. They need some real heist side missions. I want to fucking rob everything.

antitrop

Rockstar don't want to spend a fuckton of money porting it to machines that have no user base. Did San Andreas get a next-gen version?

San Andreas didn't come out the same year as a new console, though.

I had no idea there would be such a big emphasis on heists and preparing them properly.

My hype just increased tenfold.
My dream heists right there. And Midnight Club: LA like customization and Max Payne-ish shooting too?

I... I just... can't comprehend... it can't... wut?

MCN

Banned
Never played a GTA but this one looks and sounds great and might be my first. Have they shown PS3 footage at all? All the screens and trailers I have seen look too good and must be highend PC. I remember reading GTA IV ran like crap on PS3? So I am really curious how it runs on PS3 with much bigger world. Might have to get it on PS4 if they announce it.

They have had a further five years to develop and refine the engine since GTA4. You have to bear in mind that GTA4 was their first big game using RAGE, so it was bound to have teething problems. Much like GTA3 seems sparse and limited compared to San Andreas, GTA4 will feel sparse and limited compared to GTA5.

i don't understand why people are getting so easily hyped again. it's almost as if nothing was learned from the marketing generated hype then utter disappointment that happened with gta4, la noire and max payne 3. it's well known they dump a lot of money on marketing but still. this is ridiculous

i'll be interested after i see some gameplay and impressions from people i can trust. until then, this game doesn't exist to me

All those games were great. What's your point?

Con_Smith

Banned
The Rev3 impressions as well as CVG have me pretty hype for what this could turn into. Max PAyne meets GTA with an actual Next Gen solution to dynamic battles and actual planing of heists? Sign me up I'm ready for this shit. Looks like Rockstar is showing all the open world dudes how it's done once again before next gen really kicks off.

Michael: bargains for more $ upon mission completion.
Franklin: runs faster and has more stamina.
Trevor: ability to ignore damage.

Oh jesus.

All of these previews are sending me over the hype edge. I didn't overly care before the last few weeks... now, fuck.

I'm jumping the gun way ahead here but all of this actually has me thinking wtf kind of magic Rockstar will pull next gen. HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG.

Con_Smith

Banned
i don't understand why people are getting so easily hyped again. it's almost as if nothing was learned from the marketing generated hype then utter disappointment that happened with gta4, la noire and max payne 3. it's well known they dump a lot of money on marketing but still. this is ridiculous

i'll be interested after i see some gameplay and impressions from people i can trust. until then, this game doesn't exist to me

Then leave the thread and never enter a GTA thread again. La Noire was a good game with major flaws and Max Payne was awesome so if you want to shit this place up with your opinions go take your soapbox elsewhere until you have a better argument.

JawzPause

Surely it can't be that hard to port the game onto next gen consoles? All I want is a port with 1080p & a steady frame rate.

Not to bring up Bioshock: Infinite but seeing as these two games took just as long to make you can see 1 LITERALLY if filled with new genre-defining content instead of sticking to a standard formula. Will it work, would it not? It doesn't matter, all the previews at the this point have been positive. I like the fact that 3 people could be accessed on the fly. While "optional", one can literally take advantage of the sandbox provided for these "heists" mission. The only make-or-break deal would be the AI as it seems far more ambitious than Elizabeth. Again my faith in R* will be resolved if they managed to pull this off after that tranquilizer-effect that is GTAIV.

Never played Max Payne 3. How does the gunplay machanics compare to IV, which as we know was very frustrating. Is this a good thing?

antitrop

Seriously excited for GTAV already ... is it wrong that I've only ever played the original?

GTA 1 was pretty cool in 1998, but it is nearly unplayable these days. It was sort of unplayable in 1998, too. You can't see where you're driving and crash into everything, time hasn't changed that.

You're definitely missing out.

SA came out a YEAR before 360 and TWO years before the Wii and PS3. This is a different scenario. This is launching in the same holiday season as two major consoles. While I'm doubtful, we did see better versions of GTA III and VC on the OG Xbox and I wouldn't put it past MS to fund the entire port to have it as an exclusive on next gen for their 720 where GTA VI would be for all systems.

UrbanRats

I have to mention the music. No, not the radio stuff. There's an actual original score now that you'll hear in missions and other activities that immerse you into the experience like never before. There was an absolutely peaceful musical score playing while flying through the sky in the parachute, and then a different one while we were underwater.

Missions like Blitz Play also offer a dynamic score that changes to match with whatever is happening on the screen, like in Max Payne 3. I'm sure the radio stations will be filled with amazing things like before, but I'm actually more excited for these original scores that adds so much more to what you're doing.
From Destructoid.

Sooooo happy about this, R* just nailed the Original soundtracks this gen.

Top Bottom