• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Raziel

So the gameplay is Max Payne 3.

Yup, that's the thud of disappointment I expected. I'll wait to hear from the inevitable backlash.

Dabanton

Other open world devs must have been like this reading all these previews.

frustratedgnfbp.gif

R* works to a standard that's hard to beat. Time and money to build these worlds with so much care and detail.

I'm trying to think is GTA:IV The only open world game since 2008 that offers 16 player freeroam and numerous MP modes?

smr00

Banned
World bigger than RDR? Shooting like Max Payne 3? Buying property? Aesthetic customization? Lite RPG elements? All of the world accessible from the start? Drop in/drop out online multiplayer? A ton of car customization? In-game photo support?

tumblr_m5mfa6OocG1qb05kio1_500.jpg

If this is anything less than my game of the year I will be shocked and Rockstar would have to really screw it up. Like, really screw it up.
WshQAuR.jpg

smr00

Banned

Yup, that's the thud of disappointment I expected. I'll wait to hear from the inevitable backlash.
So they take arguably one of the best current gen TPS shooter mechanics and implement into a open world game, into a franchise that is notorious for mediocre shooter mechanics and you think this will backlash?

You out your goddamn mind.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

cos-whut.gif

I... I... Max Payne 3 has some of the best moment to moment gameplay, shooting mechanics, physics and animations this gen (so far).

I'm trying to think is GTA:IV The only open world game since 2008 that offers 16 player freeroam and numerous MP modes?

RDR had that, too. Waaay better implemented, too.

pakkit

Banned
I remember the GTAIV previews being ridiculously positive, too...

I remember thinking that entering buildings was going to be a big part of the game based on previews...

I remember...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sounds pretty amazing. Just really hoping for a next-gen announcement. Would be a shame to not allow this incredibly ambitious game to reach its full potential on hardware that can actually handle it. I don't need a completely overhauled next-gen version or anything, just one not held back by ancient hardware. The PS360 versions will no doubt suffer from poor IQ, struggling framerates, bad draw distance and/or LOD, crappy textures, etc. All of that could be fixed by just running the game on more powerful hardware, without really having to go in and upgrade anything.

Also, I want a first person view, dammit! Makes me feel much more immersed in the world. Third person view makes me feel like I'm watching the world from the outside, not like I am in it myself.

Artex

Banned
Only thing I don't like is how Franklin will always be the best driver, given that driving is the best part of GTA games. Would be nice if they could drive equally well. Other than that, sounds amazing. Can't wait for the PC version.

EDGE said:
Like Skyrim, each of the protagonists’ skills in certain disciplines – shooting, driving, flying and so on – improves the more they are used. So while Franklin will start the game as the most accomplished driver and Trevor’s time in the military means he’s the best pilot, you’ll be able to redress the balance simply by playing the game. Stamina, lung capacity, strength and stealth are also tracked, and Rockstar says new tools and boosts will be unlocked as you improve.

Crisis averted?

GTA is one of those games that have a very wide appeal range but Rockstar just outdoes themselves everytime making it impossible for competitors in the same genre to catch up. No wonder GTA 4 sold what sleeping dog couldn't sell in one day. Amazing.

Raptomex

I want to see gameplay, not staged cinematics. Somethink akin to the Watch Dogs gameplay we've all had the pleasure of watching.
If you've played Max Payne 3 you can pretty much know what to expect from the shooting gameplay and then some. But all GTA trailers are cinematic. And technically not everything in the trailer is from a cutscene. You're seeing gameplay in a cinematic fashion.

UrbanRats

I remember thinking that entering buildings was going to be a big part of the game based on previews...

I remember...

Yeah i'm trying to keep a bit my expectations in check, despite the absurd hype i already have, because i remember a bunch of features from the GTA SA, and IV previews not making it into the game.

jkanownik

I remember...

They're pretty late in the dev cycle this time. I would be surprised if there are major changes between what they think is in the game now and what is released in Sep.

Please don't screw this up. If GTAV ends up being bad, I'll probably just stop gaming. My hype meter is going through the roof.

I'd like cheat codes to return. They are what made half the experience for me in GTA San Andreas and their implementation in GTA4 was pretty lame.

I'm hoping one of the secret apps for the phone is a cheats menu... I know long button presses are nostalgic sometimes, but just let us get on with it; Perfect Dark style

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I remember...

I remember recently reading an old preview of RDR and being surprised at how accurate it was...

Max Payne 3 gunplay is a thing of irrefutable beauty, so to hear it's appearing in a GTA makes me soil my undergarments a little.

World bigger than RDR? Shooting like Max Payne 3? Buying property? Aesthetic customization? Lite RPG elements? All of the world accessible from the start? Drop in/drop out online multiplayer? A ton of car customization? In-game photo support?

tumblr_m5mfa6OocG1qb05kio1_500.jpg

If this is anything less than my game of the year I will be shocked and Rockstar would have to really screw it up. Like, really screw it up.

It's going up against Bioshock Infinite. I personally think it's going to be a very tough decision.

Dabanton

I'd assume there'll just be other people swimming around "looking" for treasure so that you'll have people to interact with while under water. They could also indicate to players that there's treasure around if they see a high density of npcs in a particular location.

Also they'll probably serve as shark bait so you can make your getaway:p

With how hilarious the footage seems so far, I'm ok with unskippable cutscenes :p
Never

Don't even tempt fate. ;P

This is me replaying Max Payne 3:

*insert disc*
*select chapter from menu*
*cut-scene starts to play*
*hit button to skip*
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
...STILL LOADING
*eject disc*

The hell are you talking about? MP3's problem is NOT the gunplay. It has amazing precision, physics, detail, and balance between heavy physics and playability. GTA playing more like that is a Godsend.

DigitalOp

Banned
No guys, seriously!

When this releases, Is the RDR community gonna skedaddle?

Up and poof??

What does the GTA4 community look like nowadays, I don't own a copy.

sunnz

What would you have preferred?

Plus since it was mentioned, 100% of the feedback to it being like MP3 has been positive, just look at this thread for example ( well, it was 100%, till you gave us your opinion)

Robot Pants

Said it before, and gonna say it again:

WHEN WAS PC?!?!?
Can we stop with this? No one knows yet. The PC GAF TRAIN is waiting with baited breath for any news on the PC release (myself included). So when Rockstar announce it, you can guarantee there's gonna be a thread dedicated to it.

Until then we don't need a "when PC???!!" every other post.

And yes, I know you're just hyped. We all are :)

Max Payne 3's combat mechanics are stellar, it's just the fairly basic level design/unskippable cutscenes that mar it. Any moment you get to fight in an open area in Max Payne 3 is pure bliss - considering that's all GTA is, I'd say this is exciting news.

Top Bottom