• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

antitrop

Framerate, IQ and pop-in are what I would assume.

I think it's actually more to do with the quality of the programming and the game's internal code.

Everything I've heard relates that it is a complete mess and it's almost something of a miracle that the game actually even works on consoles.

Glue and duct tape, essentially. Getting the game working properly on PC would mean substantially re-writing the code, I would assume. That seems to be the impression I've gotten over the years.

Squire

Banned
Why is RDR a technical nightmare?

Apparently San Diego had a hard time getting that game together and getting it to stay together. Like, it's supposed to be held together with tape, from a programming perspective.

Edit: Yeah, same as Antitrop.

RoKKeR

Glue and duct tape, essentially. Getting the game working properly on PC would mean substantially re-writing the code, I would assume. That seems to be the impression I've gotten over the years.
This is correct. But I couldn't care less because god damn, I love RDR. Really a shame we'll never get it on PC.

sunnz

Framerate, IQ and pop-in are what I would assume.

Hmm, I played the game a lot and still do to this day and dont find the FPS or IQ that bad at all. Pretty stable FPS and good, actually very good IQ I think.

Never noticed any pop in.
Not perfect, but pretty damn good.

Apparently San Diego had a hard time getting that game together and getting it to stay together. Like, it's supposed to be held together with tape, from a programming perspective.

Ahh, I see

Edit: Yeah, same as Antitrop.

I've heard similar things. It's shocking to hear considering how good the game turned out but I guess there were quite a few crazy glitch videos out there.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think it's actually more to do with the quality of the programming and the game's internal code.

Everything I've heard relates that it is a complete mess and it's almost something of a miracle that the game actually even works on consoles.

I dont know where this idea comes from. The game plays smoothly and looks great on the 360. I fail to see how it could be a technical mess.

I dont know where this idea comes from. The game plays smoothly and looks great on the 360. I fail to see how it could be a technical mess.

I think it had a troubled development, and there's not really been a good reason why it hasn't been released on PC when every other Rockstar game has. But yeah, the game runs great and is beautiful.

antitrop

Ya, considering how much of a PC elitist I tend to be, I was very fine with playing RDR on 360.

It was my favorite game of the generation until last month. Could very well be #3 by the end of the year.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So it is probably just very disorganized and hard to identify routines. I could see that happening. Not very human-readable.

UrbanRats

Do you guys tink they will keep using the stupid weapon cycle from GTA 3-4 or something like the wheel from RDR? Or even something more hardcore like MP3 (lol, hope not)?

Squire

Banned
I've heard similar things. It's shocking to hear considering how good the game turned out but I guess there were quite a few crazy glitch videos out there.

If you remember, there was a fuss around the game's launch about the team being incredibly overworked. There was less of a propensity for drama in the press and the game was ultimately pretty damn good, so it wasn't a topic that ranged on, but a for a few weeks, the word was that the Houser brothers and their company might not exactly be the best people to work for in this industry.

Squire

Banned
Ya, considering how much of a PC elitist I tend to be, I was very fine with playing RDR on 360.

It was my favorite game of the generation until last month. Could very well be #3 by the end of the year.

RDR is high on my list as well. That ending stays with me. What's your number one?

~Kinggi~

Banned
If you remember, there was a fuss around the game's launch about the team being incredibly overworked. There was less of a propensity for drama in the press and the game was ultimately pretty damn good, so it wasn't a topic that ranged on, but a for a few weeks, the word was that the Houser brothers and their company might not exactly be the best people to work for in this industry.

That was the San Diego wives lawsuit thing i believe. Most actually thought the game was going to be a disaster and Rockstar were slave-workers until they started releasing those Doc trailers.

nick nacc

Banned
Jesus I stoked for this. I really hope they make a PS4/720 version that runs extra smoothly with a locked framerate and pushed back draw distance. If they confirm that, Ill redbox it or borrow till next gen release. GODAMMIT I wish rockstar would just show the actual gameplay, i just want to see how the game moves. Bastards. I remember when GTA4 leaked and ustreams and twitch streams were up and getting shot down left and right. When this inevitably leaks its going to be epic.

MormaPope

Banned
Oh my god.

I realized something, when the player recruits people for the bigger heists, you can pool different types of people together. That means you can mish mash different criminals and people together.

Michael's friends/ex-cons might be more intelligent when it comes to following direct orders and sticking to a plan, but they might be more haphazard and fearful when the heat gets pumped up and the plan has to change.

Franklin's friends/gangbangers could be great for cheap soldiers and can handle plenty of opposition, but they might not be the best people for a clean and structured operation, they follow a plan loosely and could bail out when shit gets too heavy.

Trevor's friends/ex military demand higher prices and will carry out an operation perfectly, but they might cause the most destruction and be the most ruthless, they'll cause more of a ruckus and get more police attention than any other group.

sappyday

God. I don't know how this can fail. Even with a horrible story just the fact that the world map is 5x bigger than RDR, you can buy property, change your character in a lot of ways, have different attributes, MP3 gunplay, and the largest selection of weapons & vehicles already guarantees this game as GOTY for me.

sunnz

Oh my god.

I realized something, when the player recruits people for the bigger heists, you can pool different types of people together. That means you can mish mash different criminals and people together.

Michael's friends/ex-cons might be more intelligent when it comes to following direct orders and sticking to a plan, but they might be more haphazard and fearful when the heat gets pumped up and the plan has to change.

Franklin's friends/gangbangers could be great for cheap soldiers and can handle plenty of opposition, but they might not be the best people for a clean and structured operation, they follow a plan loosely and could bail out when shit gets too heavy.

Trevor's friends/ex military demand higher prices and will carry out an operation perfectly, but they might cause the most destruction and be the most ruthless, they'll cause more of a ruckus and get more police attention than any other group.

They did say you can pick your own crew for some heists and this seems like it could be how it's done.

Interesting.

Sblargh

Banned
God. I don't know how this can fail. Even with a horrible story just the fact that the world map is 5x bigger than RDR, you can buy property, change your character in a lot of ways, have different attributes, MP3 gunplay, and the largest selection of weapons & vehicles already guarantees this game as GOTY for me.

The characters are already interesting, so even the story has to make an effort to fuck it up.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hope it doesn't suck.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope the fake internet is back. I really, really liked that. Especially the dating mission one with Nico's fake profile

nick nacc

Banned
red dead redemption teased me with animals and ragdoll. I would blowup horses and trying to get them high up. It was hard and they had some serious weight in the game.
Now I can finally run them bitches over with a jumbo jet. thank god. I am going to try to coax a dog or something into carrier of a jet and skydive with that pup, gonna be awesome messing around in this game. Shit just running into a deer fullspeed in a car is going to be so fun. (don't judge gaf you know your excited too)

pargonta

have street prostitutes been confirmed?
michael is upset at his wife for cheating and the player can go out and get a prostitute and have fun in a vehicle, so hopefully that's dealt with narratively in some way. but i hope prostitutes are in ofcourse.

Summary From GTAV.net
  1. You can buy property; houses, garages and businesses can all be purchased for extra revenue sources.
  2. You can customise yourself with haircuts, new clothes, and tattoos
  3. Each character is rated in a series of skill categories: Stamina, Shooting, Strength, Stealth, Flying, Driving, Mechanic, Lung Capacity.
  4. Each character has a 'Special': Franklin is an adrenalin junkie and can slow down time while driving; Trevor has a frenzy mode, where he does double damage, takes half damage, and has a unique melee attack; Michael has his own version of bullet time
  5. Specials are governed by a meter, it drains after use and recharges slowly
  6. Other skill categories are shared and can be improved by completing missions, side missions, activities and more
  7. Trevor will always be the best pilot, Franklin will always be the best driver but each can improve their proficiency a little
  8. One of the skill categories is stealth, suggesting players will be able to take different approaches to missions
  9. Pay N Sprays can also mod cars with paint jobs, new wheels, window tints, grilles, spoilers. Upgrades to suspension, engine and brakes can also be made.
  10. Weapons can also be customised with laser sights, scopes, silencers, and high capacity magazines
  11. You can pick up hitchikers, do stunt jumps and flying challenges, take part in yoga, golf, tennis or bike races.
  12. Some boats will include gear such as wetsuit, flippers and tanks for diving
  13. An underwater ecosystem exits, "the sea is teaming with fish and sharks"
  14. Treasures can be found underwater, but NPCs will be looking for them too
  15. GTAV rewards exploration, there's no signposting underwater, so you'll have to find the treasure the hard way
  16. Dives won't offer massive payoffs, but will "help grease the wheels"
  17. The character selection wheel is split into four triangles: Franklin, Trevor, Michael, and your multiplayer character
  18. It seems there's a closer relationship between single and multiplayer. Simply pressing Down on the d-pad will drop the play in and out of MP.
  19. Rockstar has said it will reveal more on multiplayer in the future
  20. There are subtle differences in the way each character moves to reflect their personalities; Michael is slower and deliberate.
  21. Rockstar says there will be five times as many pedestrians in GTA V as there were in Grand Theft Auto IV
  22. There's a "crazy level of detail": Tourist buses can be boarded for a tour of celebrity homes, film posters are plastered on the walls, men in comedy costumes try to corner you outside the Cathay Theatre, including the Superman-like Impotent Rage and Master Chief riff, Space Ranger.
  23. iFruit, the game's new phone, can be used to snap pictures and upload them to Rockstar's Social Club
  24. The phone also has apps. In addition to the camera there is internet, contacts, social media, a calendar, and a replay missions app. There are three more Rockstar hasn't yet revealed.
  25. Michael's obsession with classic films translates into in-game set pieces based on real world movies. In the demo the three characters mount a heist very similar to the one from Heat.
  26. 'Mini heists' are used to teach the player about preparation. Players must secure vehicles, outfits, masks, the getaway vehicle.
  27. These build up to a bigger heist where the execution must be flawless. They'll require the right crew and players will have to decide on the cheap option, which results in less skilled people, or paying more for skilled crew members that will take a larger cut.
  28. You can switch between Franklin, Trevor and Michael during a cutscene, manually, or automatically when the AI takes control for you
  29. Each character has a job to do, how much you switch yourself in or let the computer do, is entirely up to you
  30. If you die the game reloads to the last checkpoint, even if two other characters are alive
  31. Although it's up to the player when they switch, dialogue will suggest ideal moments. For example, when Michael and Franklin are being overwhelmed by snipers, Michael might ask for Trevor's help.
  32. A combat roll has been introduced for moving between cover
  33. There is a wider field of vision, and players can run-and-gun

FqZoO.gif

After reading the previews and watching the CVG videos and all that, I can safely say that I don't give a single fuck when it comes to next gen consoles. All I want from all of existence is to play GTA V, simply the best game to be released of the generation and possibly even more than that.

smr00

Banned
It’s properly explorable down there, assuming you aren’t crippled by a paralysing fear of sharks
Well.. The idea was great. Guess i will never step foot in the water in this game.

I know some people might find the fear of a shark in a game to be absurd but it's absolutely fucking terrifying to me. I had a panic attack playing FC3 and saw 2 sharks coming at me.

MormaPope

Banned
Well.. The idea was great. Guess i will never step foot in the water in this game.

I know some people might find the fear of a shark in a game to be absurd but it's absolutely fucking terrifying to me. I had a panic attack playing FC3 and saw 2 sharks coming at me.

One of the first things I did in Far Cry 3 was use a jet ski and then swam into the middle of the ocean, during a nighttime thunder storm. I was murdered brutally.

sunnz

Don't worry, I am sure most people who played RDR have the same feeling with those damn mountain lions.

I'm still not sold on the underwater stuff.

It looks pretty and definitely better than the above-the-surface only stuff in IV but eh.

Karak

Don't worry, I am sure most people who played RDR have the same feeling with those damn mountain lions.

Yep I also have the same fear of bears in Skyrim.
Mountains lions, sharks, bears. Sharks are the worst because WATER!

But I am going to live in this game. I have 3 months of sick time at work(never take it) It would be awesome to just take it all.

Top Bottom