• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Fjordson

Co-op Heists! Nonono... Co-op BLIMP Heist!
It could be amazing.

I want blimp races from downtown out to the wilderness. And the finish line is the peak of Mt. Chiliad so everyone has to bail out of their blimp in mid air and try to parachute down to hit the top.

Or have mountain bike races down the mountains. God damn, free roam will have so many possibilities.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Here’s your headline: the gunplay is Max Payne 3′s, broadly speaking, right down to the turning circle and the kill-confirming reticule X. This is no copy-paste from Rockstar’s 2012 shooter, though: there’s a new evasive roll, and a ‘combat jog’ that lets you move at speed with your weapon drawn, but not raised.

This is all I needed to hear. I just hope the PC version won't be 8 months late again.

Fjordson

What will you guys play this on? (Seriously, I mean at launch. The PC version will come later.)
I buy basically everything on 360, so that as of now. Though with a game this big and the PS3 version being the one they're showing, I dunno. Might make an exception for V and go PS3 if the 360 version has issues.

Squire

Banned
I buy basically everything on 360, so that as of now. Though with a game this big and the PS3 version being the one they're showing, I dunno. Might make an exception for V and go PS3 if the 360 version has issues.

Yeah, that's how I'm looking at things, myself.

Aguirre

Looks like V is going to be what I dreamed IV to be. Next gen san andreas with tons of stuff to do.

for me, gtaIV was just a next gen GTA3. a lot to do, but not a lot to do!

but this is definitely gta:SA for this gen. man oh man i honestly cannot wait

Tr4nce

Well, the thing that's really strange for me is that the most previews are saying that GTAV looks better than GTAIV, while IGN says that at this moment, GTAV looks unimpressive. How come there's such a big difference. Even weirder is that CVG in their video preview, states that GTAV looks 'leaps better than GTAV'. What is the cause of this difference? Also, I don't remember from which website it was, but I also read somewhere that GTAV looks better than GTAIV, but it doesn't look like the GTAV from the trailers yet. Rockstar reps however, said that the trailers were definitely constructed from video footage taken from the PS3/X360 build. So the question is: what is the truth? Was the build that the previewers got to see an older build, and the footage taken from the trailers taken from the latest, or a newer build of the game?

I, for one, would really like to know this. I'm really curious.

Tankshell

I love all the conflicting information in the previews.

IGN preview:

But GTA V does currently have GTA IV’s texture pop-in issues, and graphically, it’s unimpressive. It looks like an enhanced version of Grand Theft Auto IV with an extra sheen added, but it also doesn’t stand up to its far more graphically-impressive contemporaries. It doesn’t look five-plus years newer than the game that came before it. The good news is that no one plays GTA for its aesthetics, but it’s nonetheless worth noting that the game looks decidedly dated this late in Xbox 360’s and PlayStation 3’s lifecycle.

Edge preview:

a huge step forward from Grand Theft Auto IV, and not just visually

Polygon preview:

There were large chunks of this GTA 5 demo that were undeniably gorgeous, even though it was running on current-gen PS3 hardware.

Destructiod preview:

I was blown away by the draw distance while there was still so much attention to detail all around you.

I read some better conflicting information regarding the visuals yesterday but I couldn't find it today to quote :/

Fjordson

I'd imagine it will be somewhere in between the two extremes. Held back by the consoles, but impressive considering the scope of the world.

rvy

Banned
IGN must be really pissed that we took the "Hollywood level acting and storyline" nonsense to heart. They're gonna be fair and balanced this time, guys. Really.

lol, IGN.

DatDude

Banned
Watch this score lower than GTA IV's 98 on metacritic. Just watch it.

If GTA V even lives up to half of the hype set by these previews/details in the OP, and is our San Andreas for this generation, than a true 98 will sit on metacritic that I can be proud of.

TheMan

If GTA V even lives up to half of the hype set by these previews/details in the OP, and is our San Andreas for this generation, than a true 98 will sit on metacritic that I can be proud of.

Why would you be proud of a game's score? Do you work for r*?

DatDude

Banned
Why would you be proud of a game's score? Do you work for r*?

No, but as a gamer what a game scores is a pretty big deal. It's kind of like earning the highest GPA out of all your class mates..a bragging rights thing. I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care that much what games score. As long as I like it, I could care less if it's a 100, or a 31. That said, I know tons of friends who will base there purchase on certain games purely on what it scores on Metacritic...

Also, I mean Ocarina of Time is the highest rated game of all time as well, sitting at 99. So it'd be nice to see something at least rival that score after nearly 15 years.

kitanii

Banned
I wonder why some screenshots have motion blur and some dont.

Some are taken in motion within the game and some aren't?
You know. Like during a high speed chase which causes motion blur while some are taken during a much slower pace.

Well, the thing that's really strange for me is that the most previews are saying that GTAV looks better than GTAIV, while IGN says that at this moment, GTAV looks unimpressive. How come there's such a big difference. Even weirder is that CVG in their video preview, states that GTAV looks 'leaps better than GTAV'. What is the cause of this difference? Also, I don't remember from which website it was, but I also read somewhere that GTAV looks better than GTAIV, but it doesn't look like the GTAV from the trailers yet. Rockstar reps however, said that the trailers were definitely constructed from video footage taken from the PS3/X360 build. So the question is: what is the truth? Was the build that the previewers got to see an older build, and the footage taken from the trailers taken from the latest, or a newer build of the game?

I, for one, would really like to know this. I'm really curious.

Nothing you just described is "conflicting". It is possible for GTAV to look better than GTAIV and, to IGN, look unimpressive.

Dabanton

The reason I suspect their showing the PS3 build is psychological. PS3 versions of GTA:IV and RDR were lacking certain things. resolution,certain missing elements

Max Payne 3 was pretty close on both systems with EG giving the final nod to the 360 version over a few small issues.

So to stop PS3 owners being worried that R* are hiding that version they do press previews with it. Very canny. Everyone feels their buying a good version and R* get less grief.

Tr4nce

Nothing you just described is "conflicting". It is possible for GTAV to look better than GTAIV and, to IGN, look unimpressive.

You are right, in the sense that those opinions are certainly true. But when website X says GTAV looks 'leaps better than GTAIV', and website Y says that GTAV does not look impressive, those opinions certainly ARE conflicting. Would you not agree?

You are right, in the sense that those opinions are certainly true. But when website X says GTAV looks 'leaps better than GTAIV', and website Y says that GTAV does not look impressive, those opinions certainly ARE conflicting. Would you not agree?

No. It's been a long generation.

*snip* Conflicting graphics stuff

I'm really anticipating GTAV to be like GTA:SA of last generation. GTA:SA had great graphics if you were thinking of draw distance, lack of load times between regions, and the "macro" view. But, close up... especially in doors... the game looked very dated. It launched along side some other games, God of War, Black, and many others, that had really pushed that generation's graphics, but were developed in such a way to maximize the player's view... Controlling your viewing angles so that they could achieve that. I'd imagine GTAV will be the same: some of the most beautiful vistas you've ever seen, but not as visually refined in close up scenarios as other games. I'm expecting a tuned up GTAIV.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

They're opinions, mind. Some people think GTA IV looks shite, some think it looks great.

BFIB

Can't wait for the release.

Also the inevitable GAF Hate train is going to be glorious on this one. The main OT thread is going to be fun!

mocoworm

PLEASE ... do not let me die before this game is released !

img-thing

Karak

I'd imagine it will be somewhere in between the two extremes. Held back by the consoles, but impressive considering the scope of the world.

This and one thing I did hear on a couple vids was talk of a better draw in distance. As this was a major complaint of GTA4 to some reviewers, perhaps those guys see the better draw in and are decidedly excited about it, regardless of popping of textures.

I will be playing on the 360. The hours of MP fun with tons of pals on that system will not be denied. Motorcross races for the WIN!

zweifuss

Lets hope the missions are better.

Yes please, this x1000. The one frustrating thing about all these open world games, such a linear structure to missions. Go to this place, do this thing, follow the line and arrow on your map. This is not an idea of fun for me.

They haven't mentioned it, but count on at least two. It's also looking like PS3 is the lead platform, since that's what's it's been shown on.

Wait. The previews are from the PS3 version? I really hope this is true, anyone can confirm this?

I always bought every Rockstar game for 360 because all of them are inferior on PS3 (except for Max Payne 3).

I want GTA V for my PS3 but it better be good!

Top Bottom