• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

I was going to play some MP GTA IV the other day but the friend of mine that I was going to play with was having one of those all too common GFWL nightmares. It just kept failing to load his profile.

Karak

Wait. The previews are from the PS3 version? I really hope this is true, anyone can confirm this?

I always bought every Rockstar game for 360 because all of them are inferior on PS3 (except for Max Payne 3).

I want GTA V for my PS3 but it better be good!

Ya. I don't buy into ANYTHING regarding what system the game was shown on. Everytime that seems to supposed matter, the end result isn't a good reflection of it.

antitrop

Watch this score lower than GTA IV's 98 on metacritic. Just watch it.

If GTA V even lives up to half of the hype set by these previews/details in the OP, and is our San Andreas for this generation, than a true 98 will sit on metacritic that I can be proud of.

I bet this game will have a lower overall score on Metacritic, but be a substantially better game than GTA IV was.

Squire

Banned
IGN preview:
Edge preview:
Polygon preview:
Destructiod preview:

I read some better conflicting information regarding the visuals yesterday but I couldn't find it today to quote :/

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We have people in this very thread who think this game looks like dogshit.

The reason I suspect their showing the PS3 build is psychological. PS3 versions of GTA:IV and RDR were lacking certain things. resolution,certain missing elements

Max Payne 3 was pretty close on both systems with EG giving the final nod to the 360 version over a few small issues.

So to stop PS3 owners being worried that R* are hiding that version they do press previews with it. Very canny. Everyone feels their buying a good version and R* get less grief.

With Max Payne 3, they showed off both versions before release, and in the end, they looked and performed mostly identically (though the PS3 version had some framerate drops during certain sequences). Hope it's the case with V aswell.

This is really sounding a lot more like a sequel to San Andreas than IV. Sounds neat. And it's impressive how they've managed to cram all this stuff onto a PS3. Especially considering GTAIV wasn't running great.

Unfortunate that the PC version's not out simultaneously though. Don't know if I'll wait, settle or double-dip.

You are right, in the sense that those opinions are certainly true. But when website X says GTAV looks 'leaps better than GTAIV', and website Y says that GTAV does not look impressive, those opinions certainly ARE conflicting. Would you not agree?

No, not at all. It is certainly possible for someone to say "game x looks better than game y, but I still don't think it looks that great" would this make their opinion conflicted? People say that all the time. It is absolutely possible for them to think V looks better than IV but overall not be that impressed by it visually. If ign said it looked worse, while everyone else said it looked better, than you'd have some legit conflict.

leadbelly

Banned
IGN preview:

lol

This confused me because I read the IGN preview linked in the OP, and this is not said at all. In fact pretty much the opposite is said. It turns out it was a different article.

This is the preview here.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/02/how-grand-theft-auto-5-moves-the-series-forward

The game certainly looks impressive in the trailers, but then they probably cleaned it up a little for presentation reasons. Still, based on what has been said in some of the previews, the trailers are pretty indicative of the final product. If that is true, it looks pretty amazing.

With that said, Colin Moriarty criiticises the fact that it still has texture pop-in issues. Considering the limitations of the hardware, most notably the memory limitations, it's kind of expected that the game will have texture pop-in issues. Especially considering how rich and detailed the world seems to be. Does he really expect an open-world at that level of detail to have very minimal pop-in? The hardware just isn't capable of that.

I'm also wondering what games he is comparing it against. He states that it doesn't stand up to recent games, but then what games is he talking about? If he is referring to games like Tomb Raider then he doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about.

Fjordson

Wait. The previews are from the PS3 version? I really hope this is true, anyone can confirm this?

I always bought every Rockstar game for 360 because all of them are inferior on PS3 (except for Max Payne 3).

I want GTA V for my PS3 but it better be good!
At least some of the press saw it on PS3, maybe all of them, not totally sure.

Was just watching CVG's YouTube video on their experience with the demo and they said it was the PS3 version.

Squire

Banned
Conflicting info would be sterile facts. IGN: "There are weapon mods!" Polygon: "No weapon mods, dawg :("

But that's not happening. Whether the game looks good is up for debate. I think it's gorgeous, myself.

MJLord

I'm curious to see how much of the detail makes it over to the multiplayer version. IV didn't even put trains on the tracks of the subway.

It won't make a difference but It's one of the things I think could have been improved from IV

bud23

I find it interesting.

Rockstar said:
It was a fine line, but we managed to carve out a tiny slice, talk about the fundamental changes to mechanics, and keep pretty much the entire game a secret. As it should be. It’s not about lists of features, it’s about the being able to hear about the world’s mechanics, look at a few screens or some video of gameplay (and as always, it’s almost all gameplay) and imagine the possibilities.

From GTAV.net

Con_Smith

Banned
I'm curious to see how much of the detail makes it over to the multiplayer version. IV didn't even put trains on the tracks of the subway.

It won't make a difference but It's one of the things I think could have been improved from IV

I'm more interested in the promised feature for crew integration from Max Payne 3. Although I never really got a chance to play with any gaffers, It would be really nice to see how and what that wil effect the multiplayer for V. Maybe even get some of the clothing options imported or some of the perks since it seems bullet time is being introduced to the series now.

If i can pick up a hooker, drive up a mountain, enter bullet time *** drive off a cliff, bail out of the car while the hooker does the same, pull out a revolver and blast her as we and the car fall *** exit bullet time, free fall for a few seconds, pull my chute, watch the car explode on impact (killing a few deer in the process), glide down and land next to a family camping in the mountains, pistol whip the father, rob him, and then steel their SUV... i'm sold.

At least some of the press saw it on PS3, maybe all of them, not totally sure.

Was just watching CVG's YouTube video on their experience with the demo and they said it was the PS3 version.

Thanks for the info.

GTA V is a game I have to get on the release, there is zero chance Digital Foundry will be online before the game releases, that's a shame. The only real trustfull source imo.

sunnz

If i can pick up a hooker, drive up a mountain, enter bullet time *** drive off a cliff, bail out of the car while the hooker does the same, pull out a revolver and blast her as we and the car fall *** exit bullet time, free fall for a few seconds, pull my chute, watch the car explode on impact (killing a few deer in the process), glide down and land next to a family camping in the mountains, pistol whip the father, rob him, and then steel their SUV... i'm sold.

Ha, a Mountain lion will destroy your car enough to stop it from operating, forcing you to exit to try and kill this monster, resulting in the inevitable death by Mountain Lion. Same happens to the hooker.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm more interested in the promised feature for crew integration from Max Payne 3. Although I never really got a chance to play with any gaffers, It would be really nice to see how and what that wil effect the multiplayer for V. Maybe even get some of the clothing options imported or some of the perks since it seems bullet time is being introduced to the series now.

A form of bullet-time was in GTA 3 and Vice City in the form of drug pick-ups.

Yeah, I'd be interested to see if they do some of that. What system are you on? I'm always up for a bit of Max Payne 3 MP.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

why not have a friend in mutltiplayer pick you up mid air with a helicopter then ram it into a blimp

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Only bad thing about gta iv's multiplayer is the modders that can freeze the match. Me and my friend sometimes play TAG. Fucking awesome fun. High speed chases.

Ha, a Mountain lion will destroy your car enough to stop it from operating, forcing you to exit to try and kill this monster, resulting in the inevitable death by Mountain Lion. Same happens to the hooker.

There better me tanks in this game. Even the mighty mountain lion can't fuck with a tank. And I can finally get my sweet revenge for all the horses (and Martsons) they killed.

why not have a friend in mutltiplayer pick you up mid air with a helicopter then ram it into a blimp
true!.

We would bail out right before the blimp and chopper collide and parachute to safety as the zeppelin is engulfed in flames and crashes into the beach were numerous NPC's are enjoying a day in the sun. The flaming wreckage forces people into the ocean (because they are on fire) where they are eaten by sharks and giant squid. My online friend an i jump in a boat, motor over to the water beasts and throw a few sticks of TNT overboard. The explosion sinks our boat and we find ourselves under water surrounded by the carnage...

keep it going.

Wasn't GTA IV also shown at PS3 first for mass media preview ?

I don't think so -- the game was a timed exclusive on the 360 and was widely promoted on 360 as part of a Rockstar & Microsoft cash agreement. Also, the PS3 version was generally inferior in a lot of technical levels to the 360 version, so I think that most previews were 360 builds.

Con_Smith

Banned
A form of bullet-time was in GTA 3 and Vice City in the form of drug pick-ups.

Yeah, I'd be interested to see if they do some of that. What system are you on? I'm always up for a bit of Max Payne 3 MP.

360, but I let my cousin borrow it once the crew I was in kind of disbanded. Sucked as we were making our way up the ranks taking out some of the top 20 at the height of our playthroughs. You always get that one asshole though that fucks it up for everyone.

The PC release of San Andreas and GTA4 had vicious unoptimized system requirements. If the framerate is not to outlandish I will just cave in and play this on a console.

Fjordson

I don't think so -- the game was a timed exclusive on the 360 and was widely promoted on 360 as part of a Rockstar & Microsoft cash agreement. Also, the PS3 version was generally inferior in a lot of technical levels to the 360 version, so I think that most previews were 360 builds.
IV wasn't a timed exclusive. You're probably thinking of the DLC.

Everything else you said rings true from what I can remember, though.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
360, but I let my cousin borrow it once the crew I was in kind of disbanded. Sucked as we were making our way up the ranks taking out some of the top 20 at the height of our playthroughs. You always get that one asshole though that fucks it up for everyone.

Ah, that's a shame, man. How did he mess stuff up...?

I absolutely LOVE MP3 MP; it simply can't be beat for moment-to-moment gameplay. I can't fathom why the population dropped off so quickly. I can't tell you how excited I am that GTA V is taking on the hip-firing and bullet-time.

ironcreed

Banned
wow the press are truly ejaculating over this one, they have no shame. i'm getting fond gtaiv memories

truly

omg tell me more

yea why the fuck not

its almost too good to be true

yeah eat it you fuck

----

when the media stops wording "previews" like a fucking sales pitch maybe we'll start getting somewhere

skeptical.gif

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Michael has a fascination with action movies and this influences his heist planning, right? So, I ask you, what movie heists do you think R* will be referencing? We already know about the armoured car heist from Heat, but can anyone think of any others...?

Con_Smith

Banned
Ah, that's a shame, man. How did he mess stuff up...?

I absolutely LOVE MP3 MP; it simply can't be beat for moment-to-moment gameplay. I can't fathom why the population dropped off so quickly. I can't tell you how excited I am that GTA V is taking on the hip-firing and bullet-time.

He was an asshole to people we would ty to let in to the clan or our female members. We had a chick from cali who he kind of played fast and loose with her ethnicity and gender which would make me get in his shit till he would chill. She was a great player and even though I hate it I had to stick up for her because everyone else would just play dumb while he acted an ass. The other girl in the clan he would hit on in a creepy way. She eventually left and caused a few others to leave with her as well. After awhile it was probably only 3 of us a night and we'd get crushed after being a full roster full pretty much every night.

I kind of grew tired after awhile as well because as much as Rockstar claimed to fix the game to stop cheaters, people would still exploit the game in the non dlc maps, which made it hard to find good games afterawhile. Though I did catch some of the new maps when they introduced the bomb diffusal suit and liked they were introducing tighter maps to stop some of the snipe-whoring going down.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
He was an asshole to people we would ty to let in to the clan or our female members. We had a chick from cali who he kind of played fast and loose with her ethnicity and gender which would make me get in his shit till he would chill. She was a great player and even though I hate it I had to stick up for her because everyone else would just play dumb while he acted an ass. The other girl in the clan he would hit on in a creepy way. She eventually left and caused a few others to leave with her as well. After awhile it was probably only 3 of us a night and we'd get crushed after being a full roster full pretty much every night.

Ugh. What a nob. I feel that; I've been in a few Crews with complete bellends in and left pretty quickly.

I kind of grew tired after awhile as well because as much as Rockstar claimed to fix the game to stop cheaters, people would still exploit the game in the non dlc maps, which made it hard to find good games afterawhile. Though I did catch some of the new maps when they introduced the bomb diffusal suit and liked they were introducing tighter maps to stop some of the snipe-whoring going down.

Ah, fair enough. Sniping got nerfed, I believe. I've always been a dual pistolero myself; love a bit of John Woo. :)

Also? Club Moderno and Roscoe Street Station are THE NUTS, as is the co-op mode.

Con_Smith

Banned
Michael has a fascination with action movies and this influences his heist planning, right? So, I ask you, what movie heists do you think R* will be referencing? We already know about the armoured car heist from Heat, but can anyone think of any others...?

Would love a mission where you have a botched heist lead to a reservoir dogs situation where you have to find out which of your recruits is a rat.

Con_Smith

Banned
Ugh. What a nob. I feel that; I've been in a few Crews with complete bellends in and left pretty quickly.

Ah, fair enough. Sniping got nerfed, I believe. I've always been a dual pistolero myself; love a bit of John Woo. :)

Also? Club Moderno and Roscoe Street Station are THE NUTS, as is the co-op mode.

I should really get it back from my cousin. Never tried the co-op mode, but I have heard some good things.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Would love a mission where you have a botched heist lead to a reservoir dogs situation where you have to find out which of your recruits is a rat.

I think you may have nailed the finale... :p Jesus, a mexican stand-off between the three of them and you have to pick which one to play as would be crazy (my imagination may be running away with me here...)

I haven't seen it, but Inside Man has pretty strong reviews. Is that heist any good? Also, isn't Beverley Hills Cop 2 set in LA? That has some sweet heists (namely, the racetrack).

SinSilla

The PC release of San Andreas and GTA4 had vicious unoptimized system requirements. If the framerate is not to outlandish I will just cave in and play this on a console.

They have learned and massively improved, did you miss Max Payne 3?
You should give it a try, even more so since we know that V will have its (improved) shooting mechanics.

Ricky_R

haha good job making me picture that completely in my mind.

Hmmmm... I could totally see this as a major storyline, where one of your members (even a core character -- we know that R* isn't afraid to kill off protagonists) is a rat... and you basically choose who the rat is similar to how you choose who dies in GTA4.

Con_Smith

Banned
I think you may have nailed the finale... :p Jesus, a mexican stand-off between the three of them and you have to pick which one to play as would be crazy (my imagination may be running away with me here...)

I haven't seen it, but Inside Man has pretty strong reviews. Is that heist any good? Also, isn't Beverley Hills Cop 2 set in LA? That has some sweet heists (namely, the racetrack).

I was gonna bring up Inside man but that movie might be a little hard to translate into a video game. Unless we really have a super level of detail in how we plan a mission and rockstar is willing to let you play out a situation where you have little to no bodycount and even I think they aren't at that level of mission design yet. While I love them to death, this is still Grand Theft Auto, and you will still need to gun down some dudes to get shit done. I would love to be proven wrong though and you totally mind fuck some antagonist cop with good prep time.

Dabanton

Which online GTA4 community is the best? Ballad, biker, or vanilla GTA4?

Or RDR?

Out of the GTAs I'd say Ballad. As you can parachute and base jump always good for getting away from helicopters and cars chasing you.

Go to a building with a pink arrow go inside and jump off the top and sail away before they get to you.

Yeah I like the features of Ballad + the motorcycle riding is improved I think. But I think the community is stronger in vanilla. Are the scenario modes any better these days? When the game launched, they sucked because nobody knew what anybody was doing so it'd basically just be a free ride for 10 minutes and then it'd be over. Or is it all DM?

Marleyman

Banned
Yeah I like the features of Ballad + the motorcycle riding is improved I think. But I think the community is stronger in vanilla. Are the scenario modes any better these days? When the game launched, they sucked because nobody knew what anybody was doing so it'd basically just be a free ride for 10 minutes and then it'd be over. Or is it all DM?

Ballad is so empty; it sucks.

Vanilla was great back at launch; cops and crooks was always a blast. Nowadays, I usually stick to TDM and ranked GTA race..god I love those races. I really liked Mafiya Work as a game type but there is hardly ever any matches. Oh yeah, I also enjoy the one with escorting Petrovic to the baseball field in one piece; that gets really intense on the highest difficulty.

Top Bottom