• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Hilti92

In the picture of the plane flying over the beach, you can see a navy ship in the background. Looks like its moving almost.. Anyone think those will be drivable?

dreamfall

Well if Radio Gaga and Skeletons are any indication, so far so good.

GTA IV's soundtrack really surprised me with goodness. I still agree that Vice City had the best soundtrack, but I love that Jay Rock was in the trailer. SO, so excited!

And the score that'll play during action set pieces? Promises to be rad!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Im listening to the Vice City soundtrack. It was the bestest soundtrack of them all.

I hope V has the goods.

I feel like the kind of person who says Vice City has the best soundtrack is the kind of person who won't like any other soundtrack unless it's Vice City 2.

Best talk stations though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
4's soundtrack is underrated. One of my favorite moments in that game was driving the boat under the bridge with Brucie and 1969 was playing on the radio.

I just hope they do with the soundtrack on this like they're doing with the size. IE I'm hoping for three times as many songs at the very least

UrbanRats

4's soundtrack is underrated. One of my favorite moments in that game was driving the boat under the bridge with Brucie and 1969 was playing on the radio.

I just hope they do with the soundtrack on this like they're doing with the size. IE I'm hoping for three times as many songs at the very least

They say the radio stations list is the biggest yet, i don't know if it'll be 3x, though.

I'm more excited about the original score than the radio soundtrack, honestly. Bully, Red Dead, and Max Payne 3 have some amazing soundtracks, and the praise from previews about the atmospheric music and the Dark Knight-esque stuff during the heist mission have me excited.

But the Flying Lotus and Kavinsky "having their own station" rumors being real would be pretty great too.

Anth0ny

I feel like the kind of person who says Vice City has the best soundtrack is the kind of person who won't like any other soundtrack unless it's Vice City 2.

Best talk stations though.

Nah. Vice City is the best, but San Andreas has a kick ass soundtrack.

Still praying for a new GTA set in the 80s. Vice City is so good.

It's tough for me to rank them.

If I had a gun to my head, I'd go:

Vice City > IV > III > SA

III has the best talk show (Chatterbox).
San Andreas has the best DJ (Mary Beth Maybell).
IV has the best station (The Journey).

They're all quite good.

Soundtrack will be god-tier.

Every major Grand Theft Auto game from 3 on has introduced me to at least one new band or artist that I still listen to today.

GTA3 = The Scientist
GTA: VC = Hall & Oats
GTA: SA = George Strait
GTA4 = 10cc
GTA5 = Jay Rock

Come to think of it, that Franklin trailer may well be my favourite Grand Theft Auto trailer of all time. Just something about that trailer man.

UrbanRats

I do not understand, how they see this growth as sustainable. I really dont.

That's more Take 2's problem.
GTA is their golden eggs goose, if they must spend an obscene amount of money for a game, it better be it.
I really don't know how they plan to 1-up it in GTA6, but it'll be AT LEAST 6 years from now, the times will have changed enough.
After all GTA 4 wasn't exactly a linear increase in content over San Andreas, it actually scaled down and improved the level of detail, physics and the 'skeleton' in general.

I'm more excited about the original score than the radio soundtrack, honestly. Bully, Red Dead, and Max Payne 3 have some amazing soundtracks, and the praise from previews about the atmospheric music and the Dark Knight-esque stuff during the heist mission have me excited.

But the Flying Lotus and Kavinsky "having their own station" rumors being real would be pretty great too.
Completely agreed.
Though i don't know who Flying Lotus is.

I just want a special edition announcement. Except for the occasional Blizzard release I never bother with special editions, but I'd scoop one up for sure with GTA V.

Defintely! I think this will be the first time I've ever bought a SE. I remember being super jealous of my buddy's GTAIV SE, so I'm confident R* will deliver on V's.

Net_Wrecker said:

In RDR: that first time you cross the river and start riding up the hill into Mexico and Jose Gonzalez starts playing.. shivers! I've been a fan of his for some years now so it blew my mind, had no idea he had written a song for RDR. Supremely hyped and confident in R*'s abilities.

~Kinggi~

Banned
That's more Take 2's problem.
GTA is their golden eggs goose, if they must spend an obscene amount of money for a game, it better be it.
I really don't know how they plan to 1-up it in GTA6, but it'll be AT LEAST 6 years from now, the times will have changed enough.
After all GTA 4 wasn't exactly a linear increase in content over San Andreas, it actually scaled down and improved the level of detail, physics and the 'skeleton' in general.

Was thinking the same thing. GTA 6 will basically be GTA 4. Scaled down but with next-gen visuals and probably better AI-animations.

Did any of you guys watch all of CVGs video?

They kinda just droll on.

I want people giving their opinions/impressions and not telling X Y and Z happened. I know that. Grrr.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nah. Vice City is the best, but San Andreas has a kick ass soundtrack.

Still praying for a new GTA set in the 80s. Vice City is so good.

What about

...Bully 2 in the 80s. That said, I do think it's just a matter of time. Florida's the only place they haven't revisited yet, and the 80s 'revival' stuff is real popular these days.

DatDude

Banned
I really want rockstart to start taking risks with the setting in future gta's.

I mean, I appreciate U.S cities as much as the next guy, but there's so much left to be explored that doesn't involve the good ol' U.S of A. So much untapped potential in foreign cities.

Toronto, Montreal?

Brazil? Mexico City?

Hong Kong? Beijing?

Moscow? London? Madrid? Barcelona? Paris?

Some italian cities? Milan? Rome?

I mean, there's so much to be seen that isn't New York, or LA. Take some risks rockstar, for the love of god take some risks.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I mean, I appreciate U.S cities as much as the next guy, but there's so much left to be explored that doesn't involve the good ol' U.S of A. So much untapped potential in foreign cities.

Toronto, Montreal?

Brazil? Mexico City?

Hong Kong? Beijing?

I mean, there's so much to be seen that isn't New York, or LA. Take some risks rockstar, for the love of god take some risks.
over 100 milllion dollar budget for a single game is kind of a risk.

sunnz

Toronto, Montreal?

Brazil? Mexico City?

Hong Kong? Beijing?

I DEFIANTLY agree, I love the detail R* put into these US cities, but man I would love to see Brazil/ rio done as good, especially after playing Max payne 3.

HK is done by Sleeping dogs, albeit not as good as it could, but agree in general. A new setting for next generation please, fuk Miami which is the logical next step.

I disagree with risks and such, R* do risk and do different things from the rest ( RDR, many of the steps in V) so that isn't problem to me.

MormaPope

Banned

Toronto, Montreal?

Brazil? Mexico City?

Hong Kong? Beijing?

America or rather the United States has been perfect for portraying organized crime in fiction. Crime and organized crime exists in other countries of course, but capitalism and The American Dream are always ripe sources for making a crime epic.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I DEFIANTLY agree, I love the detail R* put into these US cities, but man I would love to see Brazil/ rio done as good, especially after plying Max payne 3.

HK is done by Sleeping dogs, albeit not as good as it could, but agree in general. A new setting for next generation please, fuk Miami which is the logical next step.

One of R strengths is that they know how to parody American life. As soon as crowds stop reacting well to that idea, then im sure they will explore other areas.

Sajjaja

As long as there is a propagation station, rap and metal station, I'm cool. Oh and disco. Oh and rock. Oh and more talk radio.... more of everything.....

~Kinggi~

Banned
Why Rockstar hasnt released some crazy in-depth making-of video, really mystifies me. They are this mammoth studio that undoubtedly encounters big challenges with every new game and yet we know very little about the behind-the-scenes production. The only theory i have is that back in the day when they got tons of hate mail and protests, they made it a point to hide in the shadows as much as they can.

DatDude

Banned
America or rather the United States has been perfect for portraying organized crime in fiction. Crime and organized crime exists in other countries of course, but capitalism and The American Dream are always ripe sources for making a crime epic.

No I agree, it is perfect material. Unfortunately it's been material that they have been recycling for quite a while now.

I just wouldn't mind playing some brazilian kid growing up in the slums, trying to work his way up to the top.

Maybe even include some other latin american cities as well.

I mean, there's a lot of OTHER source material that's out there. But it's unfortunate that rockstar is very satisfied with resting on their laurels.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why Rockstar hasnt released some crazy in-depth making-of video, really mystifies me. They are this mammoth studio that undoubtedly encounters big challenges with every new game and yet we know very little about the behind-the-scenes production. The only theory i have is that back in the day when they got tons of hate mail and protests, they made it a point to hide in the shadows as much as they can.

They're a super reclusive studio.

The "noise-cone" on the radar sounds quite awesome.

Sounds like they've reworked the wanted system beyond dropping the 6th star.

Good stuff.

MormaPope

Banned
No I agree, it is perfect material. Unfortunately it's been material that they have been recycling for quite a while now.

I just wouldn't mind playing some brazilian kid growing up in the slums, trying to work his way up to the top.

Maybe even include some other latin american cities as well.

I mean, there's a lot of OTHER source material that's out there. But it's unfortunate that rockstar is very satisfied with resting on their laurels.

I'd say they haven't really recycled that much theme wise. The PS2 GTA's were all goofy in the story department, and the commentary on American lifestyles amounted to movie/advertisement parodies.

GTA IV was the first GTA where they took a serious approach to displaying how depressing and joyless an American lifestyle could be for a unknowing immigrant. How living in America enables the worst in people and how a apathetic person can thrive in the United States.

While Rockstar might of approached gameplay fairly differently in GTA V, I expect more commentary on the United States. Michael's family is the way it is due to living in America, Franklin's position in life is due to being born in poverty in America, and Trevor might be a apathetic sociopath because of what he's done in the American military.

Characters are products of their environments, if Rockstar can't tell a honest and compelling story without a environment they can work with, I'd rather they stick to what gives them inspiration to continue telling depressing tales of Americana.

MAX PAYMENT

I just started GTA3, I want to beat all the 3D GTAs before V comes out.

OMFG GTA3 is hard. How the hell did I beat this game 10 years ago?

I'd say they haven't really recycled that much theme wise.
Word.

III was a well-done revenge story that centers around the italian mob.

VC was an 80s vision of success and excess (I'll get mine and fuck everyone else).

SA was nonsensical but in an awesome acid-trip kind of way.

IV was a rebuke to both III and VC. The criminal life is not glamorous or rewarding. You may seek revenge but at the cost of your soul and those that you love.

Dug

Banned
They were making "Digital + Analogue: The Art and Science of Rockstar Games" but that ended up falling of the face of the planet. It sucks cause I was interested in reading it.

http://elitechoice.org/2010/07/21/rockstar-games-to-introduce-a-collectible-book-collection-marking-the-companys-10th-anniversary/

andthebeatgoeson

Glad that properties and revenue are back. Like the stealth aspect, differing stats and characteristics. Might be real busy between this and watch dogs.

Im really curious why though. How a studio of that size stays so out of the spotlight. They must have had the same PR person working for them forever now. All focus goes on the game and not the people.

It's probably a combination of what you said, all the hate they used to get, especially during and after Hot Coffee when they pretty much abandoned E3, also not wanting other studios to see much of their production pipeline, and probably because they like the focus to be on the Rockstar brand rather than any one person or studio. They want the mystique of being that "doesn't say much except when they have something to say" modern, stylish, pushing the boundaries company.

I just started GTA3, I want to beat all the 3D GTAs before V comes out.

OMFG GTA3 is hard. How the hell did I beat this game 10 years ago?

I actually learned the health and armor cheat button sequence so well it just became muscle memory so I would do it quick whenever I needed it.

UrbanRats

It's probably a combination of what you said, all the hate they used to get, especially during and after Hot Coffee when they pretty much abandoned E3, also not wanting other studios to see much of their production pipeline, and probably because they like the focus to be on the Rockstar brand rather than any one person or studio. They want the mystique of being that "doesn't say much except when they have something to say" modern, stylish, pushing the boundaries company.

This is absolutely true.
I remember Dan Houser in one interview explaining how for him and his brother it was incredibly important to push and give prestige to the "Rockstar" brand, instead of them specifically as Housers.

I also remember him mentioning they liked not showing "how the sausage is made" because it would've removed some of the magic from it.

If someone can find that interview, it has to be a couple of years old.

Fjordson

Every major Grand Theft Auto game from 3 on has introduced me to at least one new band or artist that I still listen to today.

GTA3 = The Scientist
GTA: VC = Hall & Oats
GTA: SA = George Strait
GTA4 = 10cc
GTA5 = Jay Rock

Come to think of it, that Franklin trailer may well be my favourite Grand Theft Auto trailer of all time. Just something about that trailer man.
Haha, Scientist wow. That station was incredible and basically got me into dub/reggae. I even bought that album "Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of Vampires". Amazing album, with the horror theme running throughout it.

I knew of most of the music in VC and SA, but IV was similar to III in that it got me into electronic music. Growing up I never really listened to anything electronic for whatever reason (all I knew was the cliche techno stuff in clubs) but I loved that station The Journey. Guys like Steve Roach, Jean Michel Jarre, Aphex Twin, Philip Glass, etc.

Top Bottom