• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Squire

Banned
I'm really curios to see how they handle the guys lives/daily routines. Most of their protagonists have been able to pretty believably be anywhere the story necessitates, at any time. That could still be the case with Trevor and Franklin, but Michael more than likely needs to go home every night.

Fjordson

GTA IV multiplayer still does pretty well on 360 actually.

LIVE Activity for week of April 22nd

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
2. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
3. EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
5. NBA 2K13
6. Halo 4
7. Battlefield 3
8. Call of Duty: Black Ops
9. GTA IV
10. Skyrim
11. Modern Warfare 2
12. Gears of War: Judgment
13. Borderlands 2
14. EA SPORTS NHL 13
15. Injustice: Gods Among Us
16. Halo: Reach
17. Madden NFL 13
18. Gears of War 3
19. Assassin’s Creed III
20. Forza Motorsport 4

About two months ago I was randomly playing the online for a solid week and it was still active.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really curios to see how they handle the guys lives/daily routines. Most of their protagonists have been able to pretty believably be anywhere the story necessitates, at any time. That could still be the case with Trevor and Franklin, but Michael more than likely needs to go home every night.

Huh? The Housers always try to write real life characters not characters bounded by the rules of a sitcom. There is no mandatory curfew when you're an adult, especially if your working.

dummydecoy

Did not read the whole thread, but how can GTA5 have all these improvements, more of everything compared to GTA4 and still run on current gen consoles? Is it going to run at 15fps at 640x480?

UrbanRats

Did not read the whole thread, but how can GTA5 have all these improvements, more of everything compared to GTA4 and still run on current gen consoles? Is it going to run at 15fps at 640x480?

- It'll run like shit.
- IQ will be shit.
- Several improvements on the engine, during these 5 years.

Fjordson

GTA IV wasn't really the greatest looking game on consoles to begin with and was a struggle for R* (they've said they did not adjust well to the new systems at the beginning of this generation). I can easily see them outdoing that by a wide margin (even Red Dead two years ago was a big improvement over IV).

Now I'm certainly not expecting buttery smooth 60 FPS with high-res textures everywhere or flawless shadows and lighting or zero pop in ever, but I'm also not expecting it to be a total train wreck like some are.

Gorillaz

Max Payne 3 was quite good looking. Magic~

MP3 wasn't as ambitous as this is.

This has been a worry for me too. There has to be something...some type of trade off to make all of this possible. Every game has some sort of smoke and mirrors, this one will too.

Squire

Banned
Huh? The Housers always try to write real life characters not characters bounded by the rules of a sitcom. There is no mandatory curfew when you're an adult, especially if your working.

O....Kay?

Generally you spend your nights at home with your family, if you have one. Obviously when playing Michael the player won't have to sit at home, but I was referring to when you play someone else and the AI takes over.

Obviously things aren't all the way right with his family, but you can see in the trailers alone he has some sort of relationship with all of them. It'd be weird if he's never home.

Like you said: He always tries to write realistic characters :)

Fjordson

I wonder how many unique situations there are for when you drop into a new character. Like how media people keep mentioning Trevor waking up on the beach with dead bodies of the Lost MC surrounding him in the demo. Unless that's some mission starting cutscene or was done for show specifically for the demo.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
O....Kay?

Generally you spend your nights at home with your family, if you have one. Obviously when playing Michael the player won't have to sit at home, but I was referring to when you play someone else and the AI takes over.

Obviously things aren't all the way right with his family, but you can see in the trailers alone he has some sort of relationship with all of them. It'd be weird if he's never home.

Ah, I was too vague in my last post, sorry. I meant to show that narratively there is no reason that Michael would need to be limited by that aspect. In real life, if you need to be out, all a person does is inform their partner some time, like maybe in the morning or maybe with a phone call later explaining that something came up and they won't be home until late.

So in terms of the game, all they have to do is have a scene where Michael does this, or alternatively where he makes a throw away comment about how he's in trouble for always staying out/ the stereotypical 'my wife might start thinking I'm having an affair (lol considering the last trailer)' complaint. Then they're free to have Michael as an AI partner, involved in other events, etc.

Squire

Banned
I wonder how many unique situations there are for when you drop into a new character. Like how media people keep mentioning Trevor waking up on the beach with dead bodies of the Lost MC surrounding him in the demo. Unless that's some mission starting cutscene or was done for show specifically for the demo.

Yeah, that's really what I mean when I question how that's handled. You can only make so much of that stuff. I assume they do each event by hand, because I can't see them to trying to come up with a way to price surely generate that stuff.

Fun fact: the cuts on Trevor's body when he wakes up on the beach are procedurally generated. Rev3 Games said that.

Ah, I was too vague in my last post, sorry. I meant to show that narratively there is no reason that Michael would need to be limited by that aspect. In real life, if you need to be out, all a person does is inform their partner some time, like maybe in the morning or maybe with a phone call later explaining that something came up and they won't be home until late.

So in terms of the game, all they have to do is have a scene where Michael does this, or alternatively where he makes a throw away comment about how he's in trouble for always staying out/ the stereotypical 'my wife might start thinking I'm having an affair (lol considering the last trailer)' complaint. Then they're free to have Michael as an AI partner, involved in other events, etc.

Ah, gotcha.

dejay

Banned
I see Michael's family being largely indifferent to his presence because they're spoiled and don't connect and they're all doing their own things like yoga, or drugs, or the tennis coach.

Fjordson

One of the coolest descriptions of the demo I heard is of when they were showing Franklin parachuting into like a valley with a river. On CVG's YouTube channel they said they could see animals running around, bike trails, a guy on a quad driving along the river, a park ranger driving up a road on the side of a mountain, and then when Franklin landed there was a couple nearby fishing and they had a winnebago. It all sounds so lively, even out in the countryside. I love it.

dejay

Banned
I hope you can do some decent bunny hops on the bicycles. Bikes were my favourite form of transport in SA for exploring around cities, mostly because you could hop over walls. I don't expect the height of the maxed-out SA bunny hop but even half that would be amazing.

Gustav

Banned
Summary From GTAV.net
You can buy property; houses, garages and businesses can all be purchased for extra revenue sources.

Dont like.

You can customise yourself with haircuts, new clothes, and tattoos

Whatever

Each character is rated in a series of skill categories: Stamina, Shooting, Strength, Stealth, Flying, Driving, Mechanic, Lung Capacity.

Hate it.

Each character has a 'Special': Franklin is an adrenalin junkie and can slow down time while driving; Trevor has a frenzy mode, where he does double damage, takes half damage, and has a unique melee attack; Michael has his own version of bullet time
Specials are governed by a meter, it drains after use and recharges slowly

Wow, that's bad.

Other skill categories are shared and can be improved by completing missions, side missions, activities and more

Not interested.

Trevor will always be the best pilot, Franklin will always be the best driver but each can improve their proficiency a little

That sounds terrible. So if you flew with Trevor, you will hate flying with Franklin?

One of the skill categories is stealth, suggesting players will be able to take different approaches to missions

Okay. I appreciate good stealth gameplay.

Pay N Sprays can also mod cars with paint jobs, new wheels, window tints, grilles, spoilers. Upgrades to suspension, engine and brakes can also be made.

Couldn't care less.

Weapons can also be customised with laser sights, scopes, silencers, and high capacity magazines

Same. Couldn't care less.

You can pick up hitchikers, do stunt jumps and flying challenges, take part in yoga, golf, tennis or bike races.

Great stuff.

Some boats will include gear such as wetsuit, flippers and tanks for diving
An underwater ecosystem exits, "the sea is teaming with fish and sharks"
Treasures can be found underwater, but NPCs will be looking for them too
GTAV rewards exploration, there's no signposting underwater, so you'll have to find the treasure the hard way
Dives won't offer massive payoffs, but will "help grease the wheels"

That sounds superfluous.

The character selection wheel is split into four triangles: Franklin, Trevor, Michael, and your multiplayer character

Skeptical about the 3 characters, but Rockstar could pull it off.

It seems there's a closer relationship between single and multiplayer. Simply pressing Down on the d-pad will drop the play in and out of MP.

Okay. Never played IV MP. Don't know what to expect.

There are subtle differences in the way each character moves to reflect their personalities; Michael is slower and deliberate.

Great detail.

Rockstar says there will be five times as many pedestrians in GTA V as there were in Grand Theft Auto IV

Good.

There's a "crazy level of detail": Tourist buses can be boarded for a tour of celebrity homes, film posters are plastered on the walls, men in comedy costumes try to corner you outside the Cathay Theatre, including the Superman-like Impotent Rage and Master Chief riff, Space Ranger.

Very good!

iFruit, the game's new phone, can be used to snap pictures and upload them to Rockstar's Social Club
The phone also has apps. In addition to the camera there is internet, contacts, social media, a calendar, and a replay missions app. There are three more Rockstar hasn't yet revealed.

Loved the integration of the phone in 4. Will love this even more.

Michael's obsession with classic films translates into in-game set pieces based on real world movies. In the demo the three characters mount a heist very similar to the one from Heat.
'Mini heists' are used to teach the player about preparation. Players must secure vehicles, outfits, masks, the getaway vehicle.
These build up to a bigger heist where the execution must be flawless. They'll require the right crew and players will have to decide on the cheap option, which results in less skilled people, or paying more for skilled crew members that will take a larger cut.

Ok.

You can switch between Franklin, Trevor and Michael during a cutscene, manually, or automatically when the AI takes control for you

Still skeptical.

Each character has a job to do, how much you switch yourself in or let the computer do, is entirely up to you
If you die the game reloads to the last checkpoint, even if two other characters are alive
Although it's up to the player when they switch, dialogue will suggest ideal moments. For example, when Michael and Franklin are being overwhelmed by snipers, Michael might ask for Trevor's help.

Yep, still skeptical. They might pull it off, though.

A combat roll has been introduced for moving between cover

Ok.

There is a wider field of vision, and players can run-and-gun

Sounds good.

Doesn't look too good for me. I loved GTA IV, hands down my game of the generation. What I've heard about V really bums me out so far.

I too loved GTAIV, and it would also my pick for game of the generation. Still, that list does nothing to make me less excited for GTAV. It is full of things that either sound great, or I don't care about but won't lessen what I loved about GTAIV.

Gorillaz

Doesn't look to good for me. I loved GTA IV, hands down my game of the generation. What I've heard about V really bums me out so far.

Can't be serious, this already sounds more fleshed out then GTA 4. In fact GTA 4 should have been a gradual increase in what San Andreas did (thats an entirely different conversation for another thread)

I know everyone has opinions but come on son.

Fjordson

Some of those won't even really affect the game, should you not want them to. Like the special abilities. Or their stat bonuses. CVG said R* told them all three characters will be able to do anything you want them to. Yes, Trevor will be the best at piloting planes, but they aren't going to punish you should you want to fly around with Michael. Same goes for Franklin being the best driver or Michael being the best with firearms. It's meant to differentiate each character and maxing out each of their stats could be a fun diversion if the player wants, but it isn't required.

As for stuff like the underwater areas being superfluous, I guess that's not totally off base, but that sort of thing is why I love GTA so much. All the extra detail that helps flesh out the world. It pays off when I'm playing the final game, even if it may not be completely vital to the mainline experience of the story and missions.

MJLord

Doesn't look too good for me. I loved GTA IV, hands down my game of the generation. What I've heard about V really bums me out so far.

I don't understand you xD It sounds to me like IV++, I don't think anything that was in IV wont be in V. Now you get all these cool extra tidbits and a massive new area to explore. Also not playing IV online, wth man!

Gustav

Banned
I don't understand you xD It sounds to me like IV++, I don't think anything that was in IV wont be in V. Now you get all these cool extra tidbits and a massive new area to explore. Also not playing IV online, wth man!

I really hated all the superfluous systems in SA. It was an unfocused mess and this looks par for the course. :(

trey360

I'm wondering exactly how large the gaming world is, compared to Just Cause 2. If it's even 1/4 of JC2 I would be happy. 1/2 and I'd be ecstatic.

DatDude

Banned
I really hated all the superfluous systems in SA. It was an unfocused mess and this looks par for the course. :(

Oh get the fuck out of here.

If you enjoy boring, shitty ass, games than by all means continue your jerk fest over gta iv in the corner by yourself.

Lakitu

st5fu
It sounds like a perfect mix of San Andreas and IV to me with so much more thrown in.

Just went through the vehicle list on GTAV.NET and there are so many vehicles I want including vehicles based on the Bugatti Veyron and the Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG. I hope we get a huge garage to store them. Not enough space in IV.

Maximus.

It would be cool if the game allowed you to make a playlist from in game songs, so that we can listen to all the shit we like and not have to skip through the ones we dont like.

DatDude

Banned
Wow - you're quite an asshole.

I apologize, I'm really not trying to be an asshole.

But, it's people like you that ruin games. Let games be games. Let them be fun. Let them be crazy and outrageous. I'd rather have a GTA game like San Andreas that's crazy and wacky, and care free, than a game like fucking GTA IV that was a fucking, real life, simulator bore fest.

Gustav

Banned

But, it's people like you that ruin games. Let games be games. Let them be fun. Let them be crazy and outrageous. I'd rather have a GTA game like San Andreas that's crazy and wacky, and care free, than a game like fucking GTA IV that was a fucking, real life, simulator bore fest.

There can be both, you know? Saints Row III for the likes of you and GTA IV for me.

as disappointing as gta iv was compared to san andreas...it was still the best open world game of the gen.

O....Kay?

But he is a retired criminal. He was a heist mastermind, its not like he had regular hours anyway and I expect his family is probably aware so "days away" might be expected behavior.

dorn.

Driving through downtown Los Santos at night:

Nightcall >>> any other song

I've been listening to Nightcall ever since Drive came out, now I'm kind of sick of it. Still better be in the game, it just fits too well.

I'm so looking forward to the soundtrack, can't believe it's been 5 years since GTA IV. That one introduced me to a bunch of amazing artists(The Boggs, Greenskeepers...) and I expect no less from V.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
as disappointing as gta iv was compared to san andreas...it was still the best open world game of the gen.

Not for me it wouldn't be, not by a long shot. However I'm looking forward to GTA V, Rockstar are the type to really go for it and try and outdo everyone. I certainly hope they succeed.

Top Bottom