• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

You ain't gotta like it cause the hood gone love it.

gta5fanart22.jpg

I've only lightly skimmed some summaries of the previews, but from what I've seen it's sounding really promising. The only thing that's setting off any that's-probably-going-to-get-really-annoying! alarm bells in the back of my head is the character switching outside of missions.

As nice an idea as it is to be able to 'drop in' on the characters as they're going about their business, I can see it leading to an annoying amount of travelling if you just want to get one guy to a specific place. And I guess that's in danger of being compounded by character-specific traits and skills (if they're going to be implemented meaningfully).

Rockstar might well pull that off brilliantly somehow, but I'm preparing myself for the worst.

sunnz

So I read this part in the IGN preview:

This mission showed off GTA V’s driving mechanics, which looked the same as Grand Theft Auto IV’s, but are apparently reworked and tighter than ever. While players of past GTA games had legitimate gripes about on-foot movement and combat, Rockstar always nailed driving, and if they’ve refined the system even further, whether in a car or truck, or in a plane or boat, then all the better. Either way, it was great to see someone driving carefully around Los Santos, because it was certainly a different approach than I take when I’m behind the wheel in GTA.

And my hype went from 8/10 to 12/10. To me, all these features and additions are nice but don't really mean anything if the driving physics were crap and I know for a fact I will get a hell of a lot more enjoyment out of just driving around the map, from the city to the desert, than I would with anything else.

So hearing it may be similar is fantastic news and kinda deals with my BIGGEST worry about V.

I just hope its's true and R* don't change to be more like SR/SD *shivers*

Lakitu

st5fu
I just really really hope they increase the traffic speed. Especially when I'm driving a car I don't want to damage, it's hell on those single lane roads where they're driving so slowly in front of you.

Into

Any news on radio stations? Will there be a New Jack Swing station? Probably not since the game does not take place in early 90s

Hopefully there is a retro 80s station, i want Phil Collins, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Duran Duran, Mr. Mister, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Tina Turner, Lionel Richie etc etc

And yes i want it hosted by Fernando!

Doesn't look too good for me. I loved GTA IV, hands down my game of the generation. What I've heard about V really bums me out so far.

I dont think you should buy this game then. It seems like every improvement they have made to try and make it better you are just dismissing without really knowing too much about it.

SJRB

Gold Member
I hope ghost cars are finally gone. You know, you're driving the highway, the road ahead is empty, you look behind you and suddenly a car spawns right in front of you causing you to crash right into it. Such a weird thing.

I hope ghost cars are finally gone. You know, you're driving the highway, the road ahead is empty, you look behind you and suddenly a car spawns right in front of you causing you to crash right into it. Such a weird thing.

Given that they're still working within the same memory restrictions on consoles, I very much doubt it.

as disappointing as gta iv was compared to san andreas...it was still the best open world game of the gen.

Completely disagree. I'm usually too harsh on GTA IV, it's not a bad game, it's just not a great one either imo. However, there have been plenty of open world games this gen, and there's quite a few that I enjoyed much more than GTA IV.

Everything they've done with GTAV sounds like they're going back to the same formula they had with the old GTA's. All i can say is about fucking time. I liked GTAIV, but, Niko was unlikeable and it got kinda boring. Nothing fun to do.

Any news on radio stations? Will there be a New Jack Swing station? Probably not since the game does not take place in early 90s

Hopefully there is a retro 80s station, i want Phil Collins, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Duran Duran, Mr. Mister, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Tina Turner, Lionel Richie etc etc

This.

Such music in GTA V will be me just cruising the virtual road for hours and hours on end.

dreamfall

Everything they've done with GTAV sounds like they're going back to the same formula they had with the old GTA's. All i can say is about fucking time. I liked GTAIV, but, Niko was unlikeable and it got kinda boring. Nothing fun to do.

Did you play the Episodes? They added more personality, some pretty amazing weaponry and character specific side activities that were great.

For those that didn't enjoy IV, is it just the return to some of the ideas of San Andreas that intrigue you again?

I hope certain areas of the city feel dangerous and the player witnesses other crimes/accidents occurring - and i'm not just talking about rival gangs etc.

It'd be a pretty huge immersion boost.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Awww, I liked Niko. He was a cool customer. Johnny is a bit of a dick, but I've come round to him a bit since finishing LatD.

dreamfall

I hope certain areas of the city feel dangerous and the player witnesses other crimes/accidents occurring - and i'm not just talking about rival gangs etc.

It'd be a pretty huge immersion boost.

That'd be pretty incredible! Maybe a variety of dynamic events (that don't repeat too often!) like in Red Dead! Choosing whether or not to take action or getting caught in random cross-fire in a dangerous neighborhood could be awesome.

abundant

That'd be pretty incredible! Maybe a variety of dynamic events (that don't repeat do often!) like in Red Dead! Choosing whether or not to take action or getting caught in random cross-fire in a dangerous neighborhood could be awesome.

The Game Informer article mentioned that in Gang controlled territories, they will attack and harass cops on sight.

I really hope there's an inside car view while driving. Not that shitty as if there's a camera on the hood or bumper of the car cam, but I want an interior. I don't care if the details look like shit! I love that shit. ;(

sunnz

I would LVOE IT if R* focused more on getting songs from pre 2000, from rap, pop, queen, rock etc...

Just copy the GTA SA radio with some songs from 3/VICE CITY : P

This generation of music is terrible for the most part.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
i could see first person for vehicles just dont know how they would pull that off walking around it would look really disorienting with the way the characters move and all the little things like if you get nudged by a car you fall over

So much win in this post! Emotion 98.3 with Fernando Martinez, by far the best radio station in the GTA franchise! I think this won't be topped in GTA V unfortunately.

jmKElFGBKrrPO.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd_-hw9xKTg

GQman2121

Banned
What? This was a hands off demo. They've barely shown anything :lol

With the amount of detail some of the previews give you'd think they were shown all of that stuff first hand. There's no way most of the bolded quotes in the OP--specifically the Polygon section--was demo'd to them in a hands off preview. The writers are just taking what they're told or what they can expect to be in the game and putting that in their articles.

So much win in this post! Emotion 98.3 with Fernando Martinez, by far the best radio station in the GTA franchise! I think this won't be topped in GTA V unfortunately.

jmKElFGBKrrPO.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd_-hw9xKTg

This is the truth. I've been obssessed with the 80s ever since this video game. it even got me into 80s shows like Miami Vice that inspired it.

It's quite simply, the best game soundtrack of all time, as far as licensing goes. But VC was the almost-perfect game.

I hope night time isn't annoying. I forget if it was or not in gta 4 but playing San Andreas recently I really appreciated that you could see at night time, so it wasn't impossible to explore at night. Many other games, like fallout or skyrim make exploring at night impossible. Always annoyed me

There can be both, you know? Saints Row III for the likes of you and GTA IV for me.

Saints Row III is crazier than GTA ever was, that series isn't a real replacement for people who loved San Andreas (not since Saints Row 2 anyway). People just want some over the top mission variety again, but with Rockstar's detail and production values. GTAIV was so lacking in things to do and types of missions. GTAV is already a better game and it's still months away. You'll come to see the truth in time.

as disappointing as gta iv was compared to san andreas...it was still the best open world game of the gen.

Do not agree. RDR, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2 (despite the world having no personality), Assassin's Creed II, Ass Creed BroHood, maybe Infamous 2. Does Arkham City count? etc, etc. Mechanically alone, those games blow GTAIV out the water. I don't even understand how GTAIV charts on the Xbox Live lists every month with its terrible controls. And no, Liberty City isn't enough to make it great, even if you enjoy riding in taxis staring out the window listening to the radio because "ATMOSPHERE."

I hope night time isn't annoying. I forget if it was or not in gta 4 but playing San Andreas recently I really appreciated that you could see at night time, so it wasn't impossible to explore at night. Many other games, like fallout or skyrim make exploring at night impossible. Always annoyed me

RDR was fine in that aspect, I think you'll be fine here. I'd argue that GTA's never really gotten nighttime lighting right anyway, it's always been a bit too bright.

KaiserBecks

I always liked the "additional layer" of gameplay opportunities the night time provides (if done right). Night time should not supposed to be a slightly darker extension of day time.

Besides: what would a game like GTA be without a night drive? And what about heists that might take place at night? I wouldn't list Skyrim as one of those games that offer a proper night time, but what keeps you from just waiting/sleeping a couple of hours if you don't like it?

Do not agree. RDR, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2 (despite the world having no personality), Assassin's Creed II, Ass Creed BroHood, maybe Infamous 2. Does Arkham City count? etc, etc. Mechanically alone, those games blow GTAIV out the water. I don't even understand how GTAIV charts on the Xbox Live lists every month with its terrible controls. And no, Liberty City isn't enough to make it great, even if you enjoy riding in taxis staring out the window listening to the radio because "ATMOSPHERE."

i have played all of those except ass creed bro (because this franchise is shit i can't do it anymore) and while i really enjoyed infamous 2 and sleeping dogs a lot none of these worlds you listed are as fully realized and fun to be in as gta iv's

sure just cause 2 has the fun factor, sleeping dogs has the combat, infamous 2 has the gameplay. but their worlds are crap compared to gta iv

in sleeping dog's case i only went straight to the missions and side missions. the world was pretty dull (great soundtrack and kung fu homages though)

i have played all of those except ass creed bro (because this franchise is shit i can't do it anymore) and while i really enjoyed infamous 2 and sleeping dogs a lot none of these worlds you listed are as fully realized and fun to be in as gta iv's

sure just cause 2 has the fun factor, sleeping dogs has the combat, infamous 2 has the gameplay. but their worlds are crap compared to gta iv

in sleeping dog's case i only went straight to the missions and side missions. the world was pretty dull (great soundtrack and kung fu homages though)

All I'm saying is in 6-8 years I'll still be able to play all of those game I mentioned. GTAIV aged horribly on day 1. Having a great world doesn't mean much when everything on foot feels terrible.

Lakitu

st5fu
I can't be the only one who thinks that San Andreas (on 360) has better on-foot controls, combat and driving controls than IV.

MormaPope

Banned
Do not agree. RDR, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2 (despite the world having no personality), Assassin's Creed II, Ass Creed BroHood, maybe Infamous 2. Does Arkham City count? etc, etc. Mechanically alone, those games blow GTAIV out the water. I don't even understand how GTAIV charts on the Xbox Live lists every month with its terrible controls. And no, Liberty City isn't enough to make it great, even if you enjoy riding in taxis staring out the window listening to the radio because "ATMOSPHERE"

Only other open world games that are equal to GTA IV for me is Arkham City and RDR, every other game doesn't capture my interest nearly as much. My favorite GTA might be GTA III, so GTA IV having less stuff mechanically never bothered me.

Just Cause 2 is vastly overrated by many people, game feels like a soulless but sometimes entertaining romp through a world with big explosive vats. Might have the worst vehicle physics of all time for a open world game.

MCN

Banned
I can't be the only one who thinks that San Andreas (on 360) has better on-foot controls, combat and driving controls than IV.

If you put the effort into actually learning to use them properly, IV's driving controls shit all over previous GTA driving controls from a significant height. But, you know, lazy gamers just want the game to do all the work for them while they just coast along without having to think or use any kind of actual skill.

GQman2121

Banned

I enjoyed the combat (the cover system is shit though) and the driving is my absolute favorite thing about the game. I can see why the driving isn't for everyone, but personally, I preferred the weighty feeling and variety to the vehicles. Some people just want to hold the gas down and go--which is understandable for the number of people who are going to check the game out. They'll never satisfy everyone. The series is too popular.

MormaPope

Banned
Saying San Andreas has better combat/combat controls than IV is on the same level as treason legally. The console versions of San Andreas had the player hold a trigger and press a button, that's the combat for 60 hours.

IV without autoaim always feels responsive and at times challenging, the enemy animations and ragdoll physics make every firefight feel realistic and straight up fun. Not to mention each weapon/weapon type has drastic differences, whereas in San Andreas using a MP5 or AK/M4 would allow you to steamroll everything in your way.

Controls on foot, definitely because San Andreas was super arcadey and snappy. Hand to hand combat is equally as terrible, GTAIV has better shooting if only because enemies react to bullets, and I'm fine with either driving style.

Only other open world games that are equal to GTA IV for me is Arkham City and RDR, every other game doesn't capture my interest nearly as much. My favorite GTA might be GTA III, so GTA IV having less stuff mechanically never bothered me.

Just Cause 2 is vastly overrated by many people, game feels like a soulless but sometimes entertaining romp through a world with big explosive vats. Might have the worst vehicle physics of all time for a open world game.

Janky mechanics bother me a lot. I can't even play Vice City or III anymore, and San Andreas, while still playable, isn't as fun as it used to be. I prefer to leave the games as pleasant memories. I'm not a fan of lock on pop-gun shooting (which the old ones have in spades), and IV added heavy, slow character movement, and an awful cover system on top of that. It just feels bad.

Scapegoat

Nope lol. I'm sure there will be plenty who agree however.

The driving was good for the generation, but when I tried to go back all the cars felt like toys, floating about the world. Reminded me (not as bad though) as Saints Row The Third.

Previews sound insane. Definitely sounds like that similar step up in scope and scale we saw from Vice City to San Andreas. Shit I remember reading the first wave of content packed San Andreas previews. Just hearing about how you could drive out to the country and the desert just blew my mind so hard.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I went from little hype to mega hype for this game after reading all the previews. Everything about it sounds amazing! Guess I should finish GTA IV one of these days...

Gustav

Banned
Basically "I don't like it" to everything. Boring much?

sry for your insipidly horrible taste

Wow, some of you are super salty just because other people have different taste.

I dont think you should buy this game then. It seems like every improvement they have made to try and make it better you are just dismissing without really knowing too much about it.

I may end up not buying it. Stats are really bumming me out in a GTA game. Also, Trevor is huge turn off for me.

friday

The giant bomb preview is one of the better responses I have seen so far. They struck a nice balance of being excited but still cautious. I love rps, but they were way to negative about the character videos.

UrbanRats

.. even if you enjoy riding in taxis staring out the window listening to the radio because "ATMOSPHERE."
I loved doing that.
Or even just walk around the city looking at how alive it was, listening to the sounds and shit.
Only RDR was as good in world building, imo.

But i still consider Sleeping Dogs, Just Cause 2 and a bunch of other open world games better in every other department.

Also, Trevor is huge turn off for me.
You want him to take his dick out again?
The giant bomb preview is one of the better responses I have seen so far. They struck a nice balance of being excited but still cautious. I love rps, but they were way to negative about the character videos.
Giant Bomb's had their usual honesty, which is good, but they seemed a little bit too unprepared, they could've used a list of features printed on paper or something, to go through.
The RPS article was embarrassingly bad, instead.

Lakitu

st5fu
If you put the effort into actually learning to use them properly, IV's driving controls shit all over previous GTA driving controls from a significant height. But, you know, lazy gamers just want the game to do all the work for them while they just coast along without having to think or use any kind of actual skill.

Did you just call me lazy?

:(

Top Bottom