• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Gorillaz

The one thing that still bugs me is....what caused them to push it back to September?

They did it the same day, within hours of the PS meeting trailer. The timing is just too perfect.
Were they warned? Did someone tell them to hold off? Sony? MS? Take 2?

I don't think it was just over polish and adding in features. EVERYTHING billboard wise was pointing to this spring, they even had the posters and advertisement ready in gamestop for the spring. The way they pushed it back seemed like it was last minute even for them. I feel there was another factor in the decision.

We'll see if it can beat Red Dead. Hopefully getting a GTA sequel out this late means they have more exciting things like RDR 2 and Bully 2 planned.

I always thought Rockstar would do an open world title set in the period of knights in England really well. Not magic or anything, realistic. You roam the countryside and the unknown, trying to uphold the ideals of chivalry.

The one thing that still bugs me is....what caused them to push it back to September?

They did it the same day, within hours of the PS meeting trailer. The timing is just too perfect.
Were they warned? Did someone tell them to hold off? Sony? MS? Take 2?

I don't think it was just over polish and adding in features. EVERYTHING billboard wise was pointing to this spring, they even had the posters and advertisement ready in gamestop for the spring. The way they pushed it back seemed like it was last minute even for them. I feel there was another factor in the decision.

Sounds like all of the additional features is one reason to push it back... Before this latest round of previews, all of the information suggested that there would be no properties, no businesses, and loads more. I think they wanted to pull out all the stops and leave a lasting legacy on this generation.

2K publisher posturing could have had something to do with it too, anticipating worse than expected sales this holiday with the new round fo consoles, and a lot of losses, so they might have wanted to guarantee one more holiday cash in to help carry them through a high-loss time.

v1oz

Hopefully this game will have better controls than the last GTA. You couldn't even walk in a building without bumping into walls. Almost every Rockstar game has stiff controls. I couldn't even get into Red Dead Redemption because the controls are stiff.

Squire

Banned
One of the coolest descriptions of the demo I heard is of when they were showing Franklin parachuting into like a valley with a river. On CVG's YouTube channel they said they could see animals running around, bike trails, a guy on a quad driving along the river, a park ranger driving up a road on the side of a mountain, and then when Franklin landed there was a couple nearby fishing and they had a winnebago. It all sounds so lively, even out in the countryside. I love it.

Yeah, on Rev3 they said they saw deer in the distance.

The whole game sounds like it's incorporating everything R* learned from RDR and Max Payne 3 and the feedback they got from people less than charmed by GTA IV.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I, for one, am excited to see euphoia at work when I drive a truck into the wildlife.

Come at me PETA.

It'd be nice if they explained how money got into your bank account (we wired it, launder here, etc.).

Others might find it boring but I'd find it to be cool if you had to deposit your money yourself.
Perhaps even return to a bank you previously had ripped off to do so.

Or you could break into a bank vault and set all the money on fire. Bwahaha.

Sblargh

Banned
It'd be nice if they explained how money got into your bank account (we wired it, launder here, etc.).

Others might find it boring but I'd find it to be cool if you had to deposit your money yourself.

Or maybe you can rob one character with another? (as some sort of money transference mechanic)

Squire

Banned
I wonder if Michael will have a steady stream of money without doing anything for it, given his status in the plot.

I was thinking earlier how ironic it is that Franklin's friend suggests he's an informant, while Michael has most likely been one, considering he's in a Witness Protection program getting money off a plea deal.

Obviously he won't tell Franklin and Trevor about that stuff, so it'll be interesting to see how that alters their relationship once they inevitably find out.

This all seems very TV drama. I like it!

Imagine if you wrecked your car while getting away with the cash and the bills fly out everywhere.

MormaPope

Banned
I wonder if Michael will have a steady stream of money without doing anything for it, given his status in the plot.

I was thinking earlier how ironic it is that Franklin's friend suggests he's an informant, while Michael has most likely been one, considering he's in a Witness Protection program getting money off a plea deal.

Obviously he won't tell Franklin and Trevor about that stuff, so it'll be interesting to see how that alters their relationship once they inevitably find out.

This all seems very TV drama. I like it!

The story can go in so many directions, and that makes me very excited. I have a feeling Trevor is going to kill Franklin by the end of the game, or Michael might get his entire family killed because he pissed the wrong person off.

Loudninja

The other big change to the series that might merit the number at the end of the title? GTA V is a heist game. It's a three-criminal, third-person, open-world action-adventure that involves about five or six major heists—major acts of thievery that will involve lots of missions to set them up, choices by the player about how to commit the heists and, Rockstar claims, the kind of big moments that previously were saved for the ends of their games.
http://kotaku.com/ive-seen-theft-auto-v-this-ones-radically-diff-487200782

This is actually refreshing to me.

UrbanRats

End mission --> +XYZ amount of money,like every other GTA, is my guess.
It'd be cool if you had to launder it, though.

No i think they pointed out that his wife and kids are spending all his cash away and he's running out of it, at the start of the game.

The story can go in so many directions, and that makes me very excited. I have a feeling Trevor is going to kill Franklin by the end of the game, or Michael might get his entire family killed because he pissed the wrong person off.
They all have their own meter abilities so I don't think Rockstar will kill any of them unless they plan on replacing them with other characters, which seems very unlikely.

Papercuts

when did they say this? Pretty cool, assuming I dont use cheat codes :p

Has anyone ever played through a GTA without cheat codes? Just saying it sounds weird.

4 was the first time I never used any. Partially because they all seemed lame.

I had soooo much fun screwing around in SA with them. The hit into a car to make it float off thing angled right in the garage to float out of the world and parachute dive down never got old. Same with super high bike jumps on the highway.

when did they say this? Pretty cool, assuming I dont use cheat codes :p

Has anyone ever played through a GTA without cheat codes? Just saying it sounds weird.

i've beaten vice city and san andreas without cheats then replayed both with cheats on a different save. damn you zero missions.....

Hilti92

20130502150810-gta003.jpg
Does anyone think the Navy ships are drivable? Reposting this :p

Squire

Banned

On this weeks Weekend Confirmed one of the guys mentioned (and I'm pretty sure he was talking about prior to the games official reveal)
he heard that while you would play multiple protagonists, one would become the villain who you would continue to play as despite the shift in the relationship. Obviously, Trevor is the most likely candidate if that's what they're really doing.

Sweet avatar, btw.

No i think they pointed out that his wife and kids are spending all his cash away and he's running out of it, at the start of the game.

Did they? I feel like I read that as someone's own speculation. In the Rev3 preview they said the guys start robbing banks "for fun", which I could definitely see being the case to start.

Really happy with this recent information explosion. Really excited for the next one, too, since Rockstar claimed this was a small sliver of information. Bet the next information explosion will probably be in August.

Probably already been asked...any speculation on whether or not you could possibly play through the entire game without switching characters? Would love to play this 3 times through.

Papercuts

Probably already been asked...any speculation on whether or not you could possibly play through the entire game without switching characters? Would love to play this 3 times through.

I still can't imagine every single mission involving all 3 of them. Especially early on when the game eases you into all kinds of shit.

Really interested to see how it works.

I would think so as it seems that the only possible time they may force you to change characters is during missions.

If you put the effort into actually learning to use them properly, IV's driving controls shit all over previous GTA driving controls from a significant height. But, you know, lazy gamers just want the game to do all the work for them while they just coast along without having to think or use any kind of actual skill.

Yes, everyone who dislikes the driving controls must just be lazy. It can't be just that they have a different opinion from you, it must be those lazy gamers with their lazy ways!

KingKong

I'm pretty sure it's going to be just like the other GTA games where you had 2-3 quest givers and you had to complete all the missions before the next big one would pop up, only this time you have to do it with separate characters

UrbanRats

You can't.
Some missions switch you automatically and many missions will involve one character only, which is probably something you'll have to do to unlock the next round of missions for everyone.

Besides, every character had his own minigames and abilities, the game is designed for you to switch constantly.

You can't.
Some missions switch you automatically and many missions will involve one character only, which is probably something you'll have to do to unlock the next round of missions for everyone.

Besides, every character had his own minigames and abilities, the game is designed for you to switch constantly.

Understandable, seems like its the core mechanic they built the game around. Ill still play it 3 times through.

wetwired

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but with the concurrent characters\story it seems like it's been set up for co-op through the entire campaign, if that's true I dare say it will get announced at E3.

Sblargh

Banned
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but with the concurrent characters\story it seems like it's been set up for co-op through the entire campaign, if that's true I dare say it will get announced at E3.

As long the single player experience remains the main focus.

UrbanRats

They stressed several times that will not happen, though.

If there is coop, it'll be a separate mode in the multiplayer side of the game.
--

On a related note, i wonder how they'll start the game, now that they have three characters, will they jump from one to the other quickly? Or let you choose, somehow?

abundant

The multiplayer will more than likely include major heist coop missions. I'll be shocked if they don't.

I doubt they'll announce anything at E3 though. R* doesn't give a damn about E3.

On a related note, i wonder how they'll start the game, now that they have three characters, will they jump from one to the other quickly? Or let you choose, somehow?

More than likely the first couple of missions will be a tutorial on how to switch characters + introduce them. Until then, you won't be able to switch.

Hahahaha. I actually did this all the time. That was my favorite part about IV. I love the sense of place and immersion.

I loved doing that.
Or even just walk around the city looking at how alive it was, listening to the sounds and shit.
Only RDR was as good in world building, imo.

But i still consider Sleeping Dogs, Just Cause 2 and a bunch of other open world games better in every other department.

Whoa now, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate how detailed the city was in GTAIV, but being able to ride/drive/walk around and "take it all in" doesn't excuse the numerous other issues I had with the game. After Red Dead and Max Payne 3, there are no more excuses. It's up to Rockstar to prove that they can make GTAV something that's not only a great experience at the atmospheric level, but something that plays great as well.

Fjordson

Co-op for the whole game doesn't really make sense since it isn't built like a Gears of War or other similar games. Where you always have AI characters following you. There are missions involving multiple characters, but there's also plenty of stuff with just one character. It'd be weird to have to just wait around while your buddy completed a solo mission.

A specific game mode involving heists for multiplayer makes more sense I think. Either against AI cops, or maybe have one team of players as the cops versus another trying to pull of the heist.

matellis

Neo Member
I have a feeling money will play a big part in the multiplayer, which will actually make sense. You earn money to improve your cars for races, improve your weapons for more death match type events and so on. I really hope that my multiplayer character will also be able to buy property.

Top Bottom