• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder if this will be up at midnight on PSN. Considering buying this digitally, so I can, ideally, play it on my ps4 at a later time as well.

Was Bioshock up at midnight? I remember them flaunting it about.

Squire

Banned
I wonder if this will be up at midnight on PSN. Considering buying this digitally, so I can, ideally, play it on my ps4 at a later time as well.

Was Bioshock up at midnight? I remember them flaunting it about.

BioShock was, yeah.

That was 2K though. That might've been a deal they made of their own volition. If it was a directive from Take-Two, then I guess you could expect GTA V to follow suit.

Final map update. Last one ever!

Tnkg3Do.png

Map tests:

http://i.imgur.com/rVExhgm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GoHUKVC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VWqtPxX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2ky7eyS.jpg

So it seems that the leaked details that surfaced right around the time of the initial reveal trailer have all turned out true so far. I wonder if the rest of the details that are mentioned in this article are in the game still such as being able to play basketball, being able to barricade doors, human shields, overhand climbing, etc. I remember at the time really wanting those rumors to be true, well....

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ests-its-four-times-bigger-than-liberty-city/

UrbanRats

So it seems that the leaked details that surfaced right around the time of the initial reveal trailer have all turned out true so far. I wonder if the rest of the details that are mentioned in this article are in the game still such as being able to play basketball, being able to barricade doors, human shields, overhand climbing, etc. I remember at the time really wanting those rumors to be true, well....

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ests-its-four-times-bigger-than-liberty-city/

Seems like cold reading to me.
Some predictions are awfully close:
"It is possible to rupture a fuel line and if you shot at the trail of gasoline it will lead straight back to the car blowing it up."
But still for someone with such an extended view at the game, to make absolutely no mention of the main themes of the game? Weird.

Seems like cold reading to me.
Some predictions are awfully close:
"It is possible to rupture a fuel line and if you shot at the trail of gasoline it will lead straight back to the car blowing it up."
But still for someone with such an extended view at the game, to make absolutely no mention of the main themes of the game? Weird.

Yeah that is weird, but the statistics, weapon and vehicle customization, some mini-games, and stuff sound right, and it does mention burglaries, but I think the quote was mis-interpreted but I'm not sure. I remember reading some rumors months ago mentioning the depth of the economic system and the ability to find and hire team members, and I'm trying to find where I saw that.

And the reference to a 'Fugitive-like sequence in a sewer system' definitely gives some credence considering what we know about the in game action movie parodies.

EDIT: Here's the other set of rumors that were by a supposed former intern. What's interesting is that somethings are totally correct (crews, robberies vs. heists), while others are completely wrong, like the story description and other details. Also interesting.

http://www.dualshocknexus.com/2012/04/massive-rumor-ex-rockstar-intern-leaks.html

MormaPope

Banned
The Michael trailer might be the best GTA trailer that's been made, even though I love the possibilities of Franklin and Trevor's missions and stories, Michael's story is so damn intriguing. He's a criminal that got rich by leaving behind his criminal lifestyle, and he absolutely loathes that he did that.

Michael detests his family so much that he probably doesn't care if he dies in the process.

Fjordson

The Michael trailer might be the best GTA trailer that's been made, even though I love the possibilities of Franklin and Trevor's missions and stories, Michael's story is so damn intriguing. He's a criminal that got rich by leaving behind his criminal lifestyle, and he absolutely loathes that he did that.

Michael detests his family so much that he probably doesn't care if he dies in the process.
Michael's trailer, the original GTA III opera
commercial, and the debut GTA IV trailer with the Philip Glass music are my top three GTA trailers ever I think.

Michael's works so well with the music and how it bounces back and forth between the therapy and all of the crazy shit Michael is getting into. The rage compilation is still funny to me :lol after the therapist says he's addicted to chaos.

And Michael's voice actor is superb, which always helps. Won't be surprised if he's my favourite of the three protagonists.

Yeah Michael's trailer is fantastic, it manages to be upbeat but still hit the low emotional beats at the same time.
The Queen soundtrack wraps it all up in this lovely nostalgic bow.

What really excites me about that trailer is it shows off how much better R* has gotten with facial animation. There's a lot of subtlety going on there that has been missing from GTA and for the most part even missing from Red Dead.

I'm playing through IV and there's a lot of wonky scenes that feel very PS2-like.

Also one gripe: not a fan of Jimmy's redesign. Liked him a little trimmer.

Dries

Any word what the lead platform is? In retrospect, the 360 got the best GTA IV version, technically at least. Hopefully there'll be an analysis prior to lanch.

Squire

Banned
Any word what the lead platform is? In retrospect, the 360 got the best GTA IV version, technically at least. Hopefully there'll be an analysis prior to lanch.

DigitalFoundry will tear it apart certainly. As of now? Best guess is PS3. That's what it's been shown on and I actually do suspect the trailers are captured there as well (if not on PC) because Sony has them on the PlayStation YouTube channel. MS does not ( though they are streaming on the Live dashboard, so who knows?)

The last few major multiplat releases (Tomb Raider and BioShock) were ever so slightly better on PS3.
I still played them on 360.

UrbanRats

I subscribe to the love for Michael's trailer, though my top 5 GTA trailer of all time would have to be:

5- GTA IV Trailer#3 "Move up ladies".
4- GTA V Michael.
3- GTA San Andreas Trailer #2
2- GTA IV EfLC "You'll always be the king of this town".
1- GTAV debut.

Runner up would be GTA III's "O mio babbino caro".

DigitalFoundry will tear it apart certainly. As of now? Best guess is PS3. That's what it's been shown on and I actually do suspect the trailers are captured there as well (if not on PC) because Sony has them on the PlayStation YouTube channel. MS does not ( though they are streaming on the Live dashboard, so who knows?)

The last few major multiplat releases (Tomb Raider and BioShock) were ever so slightly better on PS3.
I still played them on 360.
RDR was significantly better on 360 and MP3 although much closer, was still a tad better on it.
I have little faith this one will be any different, to be honest.
I have it preordered on 360 for now, though should more informations emerge, i'm ready to change it to ps3. :p

dejay

Banned
Yeah Michael's trailer is fantastic, it manages to be upbeat but still hit the low emotional beats at the same time.
The Queen soundtrack wraps it all up in this lovely nostalgic bow.

The song is also about something (radio) that's glory days are in the past, but there's hope of capturing it's former glory. It seems to be a very close analogy to Michael.

So don't become some background noise
A backdrop for the girls and boys
Who just don't know or just don't care
And just complain when you're not there
You had your time, you had the power
You've yet to have your finest hour

The above could be written about Michael's family, his former days in crime and how he views himself in the present, wanting to recapture what he's lost. An amazing song choice for the game and the trailer in my opinion.

Fjordson

The song is also about something (radio) that's glory days are in the past, but there's hope of capturing it's former glory. It seems to be a very close analogy to Michael.

The above could be written about Michael's family, his former days in crime and how he views himself in the present, wanting to recapture what he's lost. An amazing song choice for the game and the trailer in my opinion.
Damn, I didn't know that about the lyrics, never bothered to look them up. That's awesome.

SJRB

Gold Member
After listening to some more previews, I just found out about the Los Santos bus tour. First thing I'm doing in-game.

First few hours of any open world game are usually my favourite. Getting to know the place, just checking stuff out.

Can't wait to explore Los Santos, especially with the notion that the entire map is accessible from the start. It's going to be amazing.

First few hours of any open world game are usually my favourite. Getting to know the place, just checking stuff out.

Can't wait to explore Los Santos, especially with the notion that the entire map is accessible from the start. It's going to be amazing.

I wonder, if we get to explore the whole map from the beginning, will we also be able to get into any vehicle right from the beginning too? It would be lovely to jack a crop duster and take a lazy flight all around, touching down periodically to inspect a river, maybe go for a walk in one of the towns peppering the countryside, perhaps then attempt a landing in the middle of a freeway. Thats what i would love to do first thing.

Edit:

Fucking Rockstar. I'm buying ten copies of this game as a thank you. How is it possible to be THIS HYPED.

MAX PAYMENT

I think I may give up on GTA3 in my GTA marathon. It hasn't held up all too well. I love the characters and the city, but the controls and difficulty make the game so frustrating.

I'm tempted to just move on to Vice City, my favorite GTA.

I think I may give up on GTA3 in my GTA marathon. It hasn't held up all too well. I love the characters and the city, but the controls and difficulty make the game so frustrating.

I'm tempted to just move on to Vice City, my favorite GTA.

I havent even played the GTA 4 trilogy of games yet. I'm making my way through vanilla GTA4 right now. Expansions next. Then, I'm playing through the original PS2 trilogy, then the Stories games. Its all GTA for me right now.

Then, prior to GTA5 coming out, I'm planning on making my way through some Virtual Console SNES games as a palete cleanser.

MAX PAYMENT

I havent even played the GTA 4 trilogy of games yet. I'm making my way through vanilla GTA4 right now. Expansions next. Then, I'm playing through the original PS2 trilogy, then the Stories games. Its all GTA for me right now.

Then, prior to GTA5 coming out, I'm planning on making my way through some Virtual Console SNES games as a palete cleanser.

Haven't played IV? It's a real treat if you avoid the hanging out phone calls. And don't use the taxi to get everywhere. The chaos the can occurs while driving is the games biggest appeal.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Ask the people waiting for Red Dead Redemption.

Different circumstances though. I'm pretty damn certain GTA V will come to PC but not until some months after the console release as per usual. It's annoying though as Max Payne 3 came out one month after the console releases but ah well.

*MP3-style gunplay, 3 different protagonists you access at any time, Michael Mann heists, Midnight Club-style of car customization, huge world with lots of things to do, RDR's wildlife, Rockstar's level of production values, dem draw distances, rechargable health, dem RPG elements, an actual ecosystem underwater to explore*

i8aRSowW2JbX.gif

I don't want to get too hype after GTA4 burned me so bad, but my GOD

Net_Wrecker, if you fuck this up for me with your ***_******* jinxing powers, I swear to God...

now announce the PC version with snappy driving controls, pls

UrbanRats

*MP3-style gunplay, 3 different protagonists you access at any time, Michael Mann heists, Midnight Club-style of car customization, huge world with lots of things to do, RDR's wildlife, Rockstar's level of production values, dem draw distances, rechargable health, dem RPG elements, an actual ecosystem underwater to explore*

i8aRSowW2JbX.gif

I don't want to get too hype after GTA4 burned me so bad, but my GOD

Net_Wrecker, if you fuck this up for me with your ***_******* jinxing powers, I swear to God...

now announce the PC version with snappy driving controls, pls

Fuck, they told us you were a perma.
Welcome back.

UrbanRats

I hope they bring color back in the menus and HUD elements.
GTA IV's were so depressing.

Maybe HUD elements will vary in style between character (nothing major, i mean color, mainly).

UrbanRats

So can we switch the perspective of each of the 3 characters on the fly during missions?
Yes, with some limitations.
Some missions involve only 1 or 2 characters, and sometimes the game switches character for you, during missions (i assume in very specific points).

Ask the people waiting for Red Dead Redemption.

You know this same rubbish was said when PC gamers were waiting for GTA 4. I clearly remember people posting "well you didn't get Red Dead Revolver on the PC so you won't get GTA 4 either". The two franchises are completely different and made by completely different studios.

It would be beyond stupid for Rockstar to refuse to bring GTA 5 to the PC. They already have the game engine "working" on the PC it would require very little work and financial outlay to get a PC version out the door and unlock a further 2 - 3 million sales.

Then couple that with the fact any PC version they make will be "easily" portable to the Next Gen consoles when they release it just makes sense for there to be a GTA 5 on the PC sooner or later.

Squire

Banned

Genius.

Damn, I didn't know that about the lyrics, never bothered to look them up. That's awesome.

Yep. I didn't know the song, but I noticed immediately. The lyrics are timeless too, considering they're totally applicable to modern radio.

Gorillaz

If your talking about Radio Gaga by Queen that was also the first thing I thought. It was a double play on Michaels lifestyle past/present and I think a little dig on music today (obviously from the group queen) but also from Rockstar for picking said song.

Top Bottom