• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Sendou

You know this same rubbish was said when PC gamers were waiting for GTA 4. I clearly remember people posting "well you didn't get Red Dead Revolver on the PC so you won't get GTA 4 either". The two franchises are completely different and made by completely different studios.

It would be beyond stupid for Rockstar to refuse to bring GTA 5 to the PC. They already have the game engine "working" on the PC it would require very little work and financial outlay to get a PC version out the door and unlock a further 2 - 3 million sales.

Then couple that with the fact any PC version they make will be "easily" portable to the Next Gen consoles when they release it just makes sense for there to be a GTA 5 on the PC sooner or later.

Guess we will see about that. I'm not saying it's unlikely I'm just saying it wouldn't shake my world to see them not do it.

netBuff

Worth listening to the Giantbomb preview?

Only if you are interested in additional impressions - they don't really recall much of the gameplay demo they were shown.

If you prefer an audio format, CVG's GTA Five O'Clock team is pretty good at conveying what they've seen:
We've seen it! EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW - http://youtu.be/KlapkZiKGUY
Special Report - 20 NEW Screenshots - http://youtu.be/DgPBABPfCCQ

The Revision3 video with Adam Sessler provides some additional impressions: http://youtu.be/aPvhX8zBxOc

The Rev3 staff besides Adam is just... awful.

Adam goes on a thoughtful rant/point...

"haha yeah totally"

Not to mention they don't know much about GTA.

Squire

Banned
The Rev3 staff besides Adam is just... awful.

Adam goes on a thoughtful rant/point...

"haha yeah totally"

Not to mention they don't know much about GTA.

I don't think they're awful so much as Adam is just extraordinary. The other three are fine and they've shown they're smart.

If anything they're a little less interested in GTA. Which is fine. Those people are out there!

UrbanRats

I'm listening to the Videogamer UK podcast, GTAV special.
It's pretty nice as the dude who saw the demo goes in more detail about, for example, the underwater portion of the game.

It's a podcast so it's pretty long, though (43 minutes).

In the Podcast hey mention this piece from their written preview:
If you were to have told me the highlight of my recent Grand Theft Auto 5 showing would've been a deer running out into the road, I would've laughed in your face. And yet, as the animal obstructed one of the lead character's – Michael – car, it was enough to convince me that Rockstar's latest had all the makings of something special.
And add the fact that when they actually swayed the car to avoid hitting the Deer, Michael said "fucking deers".

Goddamn amazing.
Also a nod to Collateral.

Hindle

Banned
There is so much potential with the heists. They could borrow from Oceans 11, we know Heat is an inspiration for one.

Heh, it would be great if an hidden heist is a spoof of Inception.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm listening to the Videogamer UK podcast, GTAV special.
It's pretty nice as the dude who saw the demo goes in more detail about, for example, the underwater portion of the game.

It's a podcast so it's pretty long, though (43 minutes).

And add the fact that when they actually swayed the car to avoid hitting the Deer, Michael said "fucking deers".

Goddamn amazing.
Also a nod to Collateral.

3665909_o.gif

Squire

Banned
There is so much potential with the heists. They could borrow from Oceans 11, we know Heat is an inspiration for one.

Heh, it would be great if an hidden heist is a spoof of Inception.

It'd be awesome if they at least mimic the fountain scene from the Ocean's Eleven remake.

Amir0x

Banned

That is a cool detail. GTA V just sounds like they have their houses in a row now for this gen development. I can't wait to see how Rockstar is firing on all cylinders again for its GTA franchise. Cannot. Fucking. Wait.

Buckethead said:
GTA needs more of characters talking to themselves.

Take a page from Mafia II and Saints Row 2, have the characters sing along to certain songs on the radio hehehe

Yerolo

In anticipation for GTAV, Ive been playing GTAIV(360) over the weekend. For a game released in 2008, it holds up pretty well. The level of detail of Liberty City is still unsurpassed IMO....I havent played in such a detailed virtual city, it was a technical masterpiece.

I have high hopes for GTAV & Los Santos....GTA is Rockstar's bread and butter, and Im sure it will surpass IV in every way

The only flaw of IV for me was the combat, as long as that is improved (and it looks like it has been), Rockstar are onto a winner.

Fjordson

Yeah, I'm glad the combat sounds faster and snappier. I love that you can actually run and gun like in Max Payne now.

I adore GTA IV, but even I know that the combat was...laborious at times.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I mainly want V to welcome in more sandbox elements the last gen versions had. Failing a mission and prepping for it in advance by blocking roads or doing something that would cause the AI to get screwed over was always hilarious and helped replayability. IV constantly stopped stuff like this with scripted chases or clearing out cars set on the roads. I don't know if it's engine specific or something, but I was extremely disappointed in that stuff.

I too am way beyond excited for V just for the fact that the on foot mechanics play like Max Payne 3. I think once people see the game all come together for themselves, they'll change their tune. The way I see it GTA IV is the sequel to GTA III, and V looks to be the sequel to San Andreas that people were hoping IV would be.

Cannot wait. I'm still curious about what they aren't showing/telling.

I am hyper-hyped about this game. Only one thing concerns me.

The framerate.

Te framerate in GTA IV was very inconsistent, even in the trailers for the game. However, we haven't witnessed any said hiccups in the trailers thus far for V. Based on this, I'm hoping the trailers represent the framerate, not just the graphics, of the final game.

I'm also a little frustrated that the majority of the previews have not mentioned or discussed the framerate. Its a hugely important componant of the final product. I'm not asking for 60 frames per second, but I do expect the framerate to be improved over IV, if not LOCKED at 30.

Anybody else wondering why framerate hasn't been discussed more? Or perhaps it is and I've missed it? Can we talk about it?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Caution. Everything sounds good, but it's still really just that. Almost all the information they got was just talk with nothing shown.

Hm? They demod the game to the press. A lot of the stuff the press picked up was observations along with a few questions.

Squire

Banned
Hm? They demod the game to the press. A lot of the stuff the press picked up was observations along with a few questions.

They did, but all they really saw was the one heist from early in the game and the character switching mechanic. Everything about stats, and side quests, and all the minutia of organizing equipment to get ready for big heists was just talk. The stuff they actually saw demoed was nothing groundbreaking.

If it looks like GTA IV and plays like Max Payne it's a "10" already in my book.

The media has been bizarrely quiet/un praiseworthy. I don't get it.

Hard to praise a game when you cannot get hands on time. This wave of previews was hands off/eyes only. And according to a lot of previewers, R* is still hush-hush with the details.

Yeah I get that but Max Payne's shooting system? Holy crap.

I remember reading lots of stuff on Vice City early-on and everyone was pretty excited.

I get more of a Nicholson + Jim Carrey + Johnny Knoxville vibe from Trevor.

Yeah, I'm glad the combat sounds faster and snappier. I love that you can actually run and gun like in Max Payne now.

I adore GTA IV, but even I know that the combat was...laborious at times.

Combat was bad, bruh, don't fancy it up. Once I got to indoor shootouts where I struggled more against swinging doors than enemies, I knew something was wrong. No auto-run, you can't peek from cover without shooting, your turn radius is insane, the cover system is slow and unresponsive, hand to hand looks like 2 marionettes slapping each other, weapon selection is awkward, etc. GTAV's combat being more like MP3 is going to be so much better, this can not be stated enough. Hopefully they bring the weapon wheel from RDR as well.

GTA4's turning circle...>_<

Here’s your headline: the gunplay is Max Payne 3&#8242;s, broadly speaking, right down to the turning circle and the kill-confirming reticule X. This is no copy-paste from Rockstar’s 2012 shooter, though: there’s a new evasive roll, and a ‘combat jog’ that lets you move at speed with your weapon drawn, but not raised.

I read this shit and my dick gets hard, GAF. A GTA game with good combat. Thank you, based Rockstar.

Max Payne 3 was fun to just run around and kill everyone.
I reloaded the club scene like 6 times because of this.

Absolutely can't wait to play V and cause some mayhem.

I assume they're talking about when you hover the dot reticule over an enemy and it turning from white to red. In MP3 I chose to have the circle be white at all times.

"Turning circle" is usually associated with movement, specifically the size of the circle made by vehicles when turning. Here I think that comment refers to the locomotion of your character in terms of how tightly he moves during combat. Either that or the animation in how the character turns as you move the reticle. Remember how Rockstar made a big deal about Max feeling "right" while moving but still being realistic as his torso and legs matched your every move? They probably infused GTA with those upgrades.

MormaPope

Banned
Max Payne 3 was fun to just run around and kill everyone.
I reloaded the club scene like 6 times because of this.

Absolutely can't wait to play V and cause some mayhem.

I put 150 hours into Max Payne 3, beat it on every difficulty besides easy, did every chapter in score attack mode and new york minute mode, got to level 50 in multiplayer and prestiged, ended up being 3rd in the NeoGaf MP3 gang.

The fact that GTA V is going to have a lot of MP3 in it's DNA is pretty fulfilling already.

"Turning circle" is usually associated with movement, specifically the size of the circle made by vehicles when turning. Here I think that comment refers to the locomotion of your character in terms of how tightly he moves during combat. Either that or the animation in how the character turns as you move the reticle. Remember how Rockstar made a big deal about Max feeling "right" while moving but still being realistic as his torso and legs matches you every move? They probably infused GTA with those upgrades.

I thought that's what they could've meant. The ability to dive is going to make getting run over by a car in multiplayer less likely, and doing a shooting dive away from someones car and getting a headshot on them is going to be orgasmic.

The multiplayer for MP3 had plenty of orgasmic moments, you get shot in the head? You're dead, no bullshit. Bullet time in GTA V multiplayer would be the bees knees.

Max Payne 3 should've had a mode where you just shoot up dudes in a big room, no cutscenes.

I would have done that shit for hours

It kinda does now. The Dead Men Walking DLC is a wave based thing. Too little too late though. And it doesn't excuse the campaign being clogged with hours of unskippable cutscenes.

MormaPope

Banned
They kinda do now. The Dead Men Walking DLC is a wave based thing. Too little too late though. And it doesn't excuse the campaign being clogged with hours of unskippable cutscenes.

I know I'm in the extreme minority for this one, but for a console game not having any loading screens at all, through the entire game, makes me accept anything that makes that possible. Loading times and loading screens are the most obtrusive and biggest flaw that games still have.

I ended up really loving Max as a character and the actual plot/atmosphere. On a decked out PC the cutscenes not being skippable is a flaw/issue. For all we know though the way the game was coded or optimized could've altered how stuff is loaded on the engine.

I still LOL thinking about that 35 GB PC download size for MP3

I think Team Fortress 2 and all it's 300+ updates is smaller than that shit
KuGsj.gif

sunnz

I know I'm in the extreme minority for this one, but for a console game not having any loading screens at all, through the entire game, makes me accept anything that makes that possible. Loading times and loading screens are the most obtrusive and biggest flaw that games still have.

I ended up really loving Max as a character and the actual plot/atmosphere. On a decked out PC the cutscenes not being skippable is a flaw/issue. For all we know though the way the game was coded or optimized could've altered how stuff is loaded on the engine.

I agree, no loading is cool BUT I would take a 15 to 20 second loading screen over watching the same cutscene AGAIN for the 3rd times for like a minute before I can skip it any day of the weak and is a lot more annoying too.

One of the biggest reasons why I stopped my 3rd play-through ( for now)

Plus, 80% of the cut scenes is just Max insulting himself/ blaming him self and such. Awesome the first and even second time, but gets annoying after that.

To me anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OQhD2rG6es

There's no excuse IMO. It's a flaw. If the seamless transitions are what caused it, I would've preferred them gone and normal short loading screens in their place. There's absolutely no reason a linear shooter should be taking 3-5 minutes for me to skip cutscenes, ever. Masking loads with animations or cutscenes that take LONGER than the actual load is ridiculous and they should've gotten slammed for it in reviews.

MormaPope

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OQhD2rG6es

There's no excuse IMO. It's a flaw. If the seamless transitions are what caused it, I would've preferred them gone and normal short loading screens in their place. There's absolutely no reason a linear shooter should be taking 3-5 minutes for me to skip cutscenes, ever. Masking loads with animations or cutscenes that take LONGER than the actual load is ridiculous and they should've gotten slammed for it in reviews.

I have a feeling GTA V is going to have a similar system in place, whether or not you can skip straight to the game transition is unknown. Loading screens are a gigantic pet peeve of mine, I can't play the console version of Skyrim because of the constant and long loading times.

The gameplay was satisfying enough in MP3 for me where having to wait to actually play didn't taint the experience for me, and like I said, I'm in the minority in this instance.

nick nacc

Banned
I would really like the addition of limb injury. I think it would add a ton of fun and depth to the chases in GTA. Chases are probably the most important aspect of GTA and it needs a difficulty boost. Besides obvious A.I improvements imagine having to take a long jump and when you hit the ground your leg breaks and you have to limp to the next car or inside a house or something. Also imagine getting into a big car wreck during a chase, when you crawl out of the car your character wobbles around and stuff. It would add a lot.

I have a feeling GTA V is going to have a similar system in place, whether or not you can skip straight to the game transition is unknown. Loading screens are a gigantic pet peeve of mine, I can't play the console version of Skyrim because of the constant and long loading times.

The gameplay was satisfying enough in MP3 for me where having to wait to actually play didn't taint the experience for me, and like I said, I'm in the minority in this instance.

I believe all of the mainline GTAs have had skippable cutscenes, have they not? I hope that continues here. I am definitely interested in viewing them, however I plan on replaying the SHIT out of this game, and would like the option to skip any potential boring ones.

UrbanRats

I thought that's what they could've meant. The ability to dive is going to make getting run over by a car in multiplayer less likely, and doing a shooting dive away from someones car and getting a headshot on them is going to be orgasmic.

Where did you read that dive was in? I don't think it'll be, they probably took the gameplay skeleton from MP3, but not all its features.
They spoke about a combat roll of sort, as much as i'd like it, i don't think the dive is in. (even because without bullet time it would be kind of useless)

MormaPope

Banned
I believe all of the mainline GTAs have had skippable cutscenes, have they not? I hope that continues here. I am definitely interested in viewing them, however I plan on replaying the SHIT out of this game, and would like the option to skip any potential boring ones.

This is true, but I remember past interviews for GTA V where Dan Houser or someone said they want to have the game transition from cutscene to gameplay fairly smoothly, and with Rockstar making GTA V be the biggest and best game they make this gen, I doubt the transitions ala MP3 won't be in GTA V.

No loading screens or loading times for GTA V single player would make it my favorite game of all time. No open world game has attempted that feat, and if it's done on these dinosaur consoles, Dan Houser and the employees at Rockstar probably sold their souls to the devil.

Where did you read that dive was in? I don't think it'll be, they probably took the gameplay skeleton from MP3, but not all its features.
They spoke about a combat roll of sort, as much as i'd like it, i don't think the dive is in. (even because without bullet time it would be kind of useless)

Just an assumption, Trevor lying flat on his back on the plane and then jumping off could've been a cutscene to gameplay transition, but if they added the ability to go prone and roll while laying down, I doubt they wouldn't add a dive move.

Also a dive could be extremely useful, sprinting to cover and then diving towards it would be both stylish and efficient. In MP3 multiplayer doing a dive without using bullet time would get you out of bad situations and out juke the people shooting at you.

I would really like the addition of limb injury. I think it would add a ton of fun and depth to the chases in GTA. Chases are probably the most important aspect of GTA and it needs a difficulty boost. Besides obvious A.I improvements imagine having to take a long jump and when you hit the ground your leg breaks and you have to limp to the next car or inside a house or something. Also imagine getting into a big car wreck during a chase, when you crawl out of the car your character wobbles around and stuff. It would add a lot.

Not sure if you played RDR or Max Payne 3 but they did incorporate sectional damage in those games. Shoot someone in the leg, they will limp, shoot both legs they will crawl or drop to their knees. You could even shoot guns out of enemies hands. I'm sure this will be brought over to GTA V.

Top Bottom