• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Not sure if you played RDR or Max Payne 3 but they did incorporate sectional damage in those games. Shoot someone in the leg, they will limp, shoot both legs they will crawl or drop to their knees. You could even shoot guns out of enemies hands. I'm sure this will be brought over to GTA V.

I think he's talking about to your playable character and limb damage.

It'd be cool but somewhat tedious always having to go to hospital to get yourself patched up.

nick nacc

Banned
Not sure if you played RDR or Max Payne 3 but they did incorporate sectional damage in those games. Shoot someone in the leg, they will limp, shoot both legs they will crawl or drop to their knees. You could even shoot guns out of enemies hands. I'm sure this will be brought over to GTA V.

I was meaning sectional damage to the player. It would add to the severity of the crashes and on foot chases. If you're in a crash that sends your car rolling down a hill in the boonies, then crawl out limping your going to be like oh shit! Also since there are animals in the game if rockstar doesn't POLICE CANINES they fucked up big time. seriously it would be so cool to have your car broken in the city or forest, and then hear sirens and barking. Dang. Maybe they could implent a "bandage" option like left 4 dead. takes like 5-10 seconds to fix wound, and you would have to make it to some kind of cover

I was meaning sectional damage to the player. It would add to the severity of the crashes and on foot chases. If your in a crash that sends your car rolling down a hill in the boonies, if you crawl out limping your going to be like oh shit! Also since there are animals in the game if rockstar doesn't POLICE CANINES they fucked up big time. seriously it would be so cool to have your car broken in the city or forest, and then hear sirens and barking. Dang

It's a cool idea but I think it would get kind of annoying after a while.

sdornan

I can't help but wonder if it's possible for a game this dense to fit on a single DVD disc. My guess is not, which means ill probably get it for PS3.

MormaPope

Banned
I was meaning sectional damage to the player. It would add to the severity of the crashes and on foot chases. If your in a crash that sends your car rolling down a hill in the boonies, if you crawl out limping your going to be like oh shit! Also since there are animals in the game if rockstar doesn't POLICE CANINES they fucked up big time. seriously it would be so cool to have your car broken in the city or forest, and then hear sirens and barking. Dang

It'd be neat, but it doesn't belong in GTA. Rockstar made GTA V like Red Dead in the death department, when you die a checkpoint is reloaded. If a player is running away from police and royally fucks themselves, why would they go through the trouble of escaping when they can just get caught or killed and reload a checkpoint?

Not to mention minor car accidents would have to effect the player character also. That being said, in GTA V taking a bicycle off a mountain and purposefully busting your shit is going to be the first thing I do, them body physics are going to be delicious.

The missions better showcase/use all of these badass systems better than IV did with its own. About zero missions in GTAIV actually made decent use of the game's physics.

I read somewhere that car customization was going to be on the scale of Midnight Club: LA. If true = epic.

TBH everything we've heard about this game sounds too good to be true. I hope the trade offs won't be too much.

nick nacc

Banned
It'd be neat, but it doesn't belong in GTA. Rockstar made GTA V like Red Dead in the death department, when you die a checkpoint is reloaded. If a player is running away from police and royally fucks themselves, why would they go through the trouble of escaping when they can just get caught or killed and reload a checkpoint?

Not to mention minor car accidents would have to effect the player character also. That being said, in GTA V taking a bicycle off a mountain and purposefully busting your shit is going to be the first thing I do, them body physics are going to be delicious.

Rockstar ragdoll is way good. having mountains to roll down to your death from a bmx or motorcross wreck is going to look cool.

Persona86

Banned
It's been a while since GTA IV, did the bodies disappear after death in that? Was there a time limit?

I hope they don't in GTAV(within limits), I'm guessing amount of RAM makes a difference?

MormaPope

Banned
Rockstar ragdoll is way good. having mountains to roll down to your death from a bmx or motorcross wreck is going to look cool.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but jet fighters have ejection systems, so that probably means in GTA V when you eject from certain planes you're going to get launched out realistically and sometimes ejection isn't going to work out smoothly.

It's been a while since GTA IV, did the bodies disappear after death in that? Was there a time limit?

I hope they don't in GTAV(within limits), I'm guessing amount of RAM makes a difference?

Dead bodies do stay around, no matter how many people are killed. If you leave the area the bodies will disappear.

MormaPope

Banned
Also, I really really hope the execution system from MP3 is in GTA, slapping a dude with a gun and capping him will never get old.

nick nacc

Banned
Also, I really really hope the execution system from MP3 is in GTA, slapping a dude with a gun and capping him will never get old.

Have the people who have seen the game in action commented how much the controlling is similiar to MP3. This has always been the weakpoint in GTA games and if they straight up use the same code or engine or whatever for the shooting we got game of the year. From teh previews i have read they allude to the ugrade to MP3 like shooting but i hope it really is the same. No more lock on snap stuff. Just right stick controlling reticle accuracy.

Yerolo

Dead bodies do stay around, no matter how many people are killed. If you leave the area the bodies will disappear.

It was the same for vehicles as well....although the radius seems alot larger. Most of the time I can go 2 or 3 blocks away from my car and it will still be there

One thing I found frustrating about IV (and all 5the previous GTAs), the traffic AI seemed to be programmed to drive to be in a collision course with the player. After a while you start to predict where a vehicle is going to be when turning corners etc

On foot, you can turn in one direction and the street is empty for blocks....turn the other direction and then back again and all of a suddenly theres traffic everywhere

Hopefully, they improve the traffic AI/realism for GTAV. In saying that, I dont think these issues impacted on the Liberty city experience at all....it was bloody amazing.

Gacha-pin

I read somewhere that car customization was going to be on the scale of Midnight Club: LA. If true = epic.

TBH everything we've heard about this game sounds too good to be true. I hope the trade offs won't be too much.

But even if you parked your full customized fancy car in the garage, it is occasionally stolen by some kind of great power in the GTA world.

-Winnie-

I would really like the addition of limb injury. I think it would add a ton of fun and depth to the chases in GTA. Chases are probably the most important aspect of GTA and it needs a difficulty boost. Besides obvious A.I improvements imagine having to take a long jump and when you hit the ground your leg breaks and you have to limp to the next car or inside a house or something. Also imagine getting into a big car wreck during a chase, when you crawl out of the car your character wobbles around and stuff. It would add a lot.

When it comes to realism there's a fine line between what is more immersive and fun, and what is just downright fucking annoying.
The physics in GTA4 made me want to punch the disc. I failed that stupid motorbike run up the ramp like a billion times because I kept bumping into rocks on the beach that put me off course.

Persona86

Banned
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but jet fighters have ejection systems, so that probably means in GTA V when you eject from certain plains you're going to get launched out realistically and sometimes ejection isn't going to work out smoothly.

Cool cool, good to know. Time to drown people.

Persona86

Banned
On foot, you can turn in one direction and the street is empty for blocks....turn the other direction and then back again and all of a suddenly theres traffic everywhere

Yes this and pop ins really took me out of the immersion! Sometimes I saw I car I wanted, but it disappeared lol. Probably a RAM issue.

Leucrota

I am hyper-hyped about this game. Only one thing concerns me.

The framerate.

Te framerate in GTA IV was very inconsistent, even in the trailers for the game. However, we haven't witnessed any said hiccups in the trailers thus far for V. Based on this, I'm hoping the trailers represent the framerate, not just the graphics, of the final game.

I'm also a little frustrated that the majority of the previews have not mentioned or discussed the framerate. Its a hugely important componant of the final product. I'm not asking for 60 frames per second, but I do expect the framerate to be improved over IV, if not LOCKED at 30.

Anybody else wondering why framerate hasn't been discussed more? Or perhaps it is and I've missed it? Can we talk about it?

The game is not done. Framerate is something you wait until final release to talk about.

Yerolo

Yes this and pop ins really took me out of the immersion! Sometimes I saw I car I wanted, but it disappeared lol. Probably a RAM issue.

Yep it does....

Although I used it to my advantage at times, as you can force the popin of a taxi (as I used them all the time to quickly teleport all around the map)

Persona86

Banned
I am hyper-hyped about this game. Only one thing concerns me.

The framerate.

Te framerate in GTA IV was very inconsistent, even in the trailers for the game. However, we haven't witnessed any said hiccups in the trailers thus far for V. Based on this, I'm hoping the trailers represent the framerate, not just the graphics, of the final game.

I'm also a little frustrated that the majority of the previews have not mentioned or discussed the framerate. Its a hugely important componant of the final product. I'm not asking for 60 frames per second, but I do expect the framerate to be improved over IV, if not LOCKED at 30.

Anybody else wondering why framerate hasn't been discussed more? Or perhaps it is and I've missed it? Can we talk about it?

I'm gonna guess the framerate wasn't so bad to distract them from the overdose of info their brain was getting. :)

Were gonna have to wait until release, but yes framerate is one of the reasons I wish for a PS4 version.

Yep it does....

Although I used it to my advantage at times, as you can force the popin of a taxi (as I used them all the time to quickly teleport all around the map)

Yes I remember doing the same thing! :)

AJ_Wings

If there is one thing I'm skeptical about it's the character shifting mechanic. Just imagining the thought of being the programmer in charge of coding it sends shivers down my spine.

I mean let's say I'm playing as Trevor driving a speedboat in the middle of the ocean and I somehow I managed to lose or blow it up. If I switch back to the other two guys, is Trevor's AI smart enough to actually go back to his home or engage in any other activity without let's say getting stuck in some random bits of level geometry? The amount of scripting and path-finding involved in this open-world setting must be an absolute nightmare. How the heck is that gonna work?!

UrbanRats

If there is one thing I'm skeptical about it's the character shifting mechanic. Just imagining the thought of being the programmer in charge of coding it sends shivers down my spine.

I mean let's say I'm playing as Trevor driving a speedboat in the middle of the ocean and I somehow I managed to lose or blow it up. If I switch back to the other two guys, is Trevor's AI smart enough to actually go back to his home or engage in any other activity? The amount of scripting and path-finding involved in this open-world setting must be an absolute nightmare. How the heck is that gonna work?!

I'm very skeptical about the "going about their business" part of it.
With so little memory, the consoles would also account for two other characters on the other side of the huge map, at all times? Nah.
Probably when you change character it loads one of the various possible "set ups" they have prepared.

feel

I think I read or saw somewhere that some time passes each time you shift characters outside of missions, so that would give them an excuse to make the character you just left be at a totally different event/place if you jump back to him immediately.

I'm not expecting nor do I want a correct simulation of their simultaneous lives, seems like a huge waste of resources that could've gone into putting a bunch of other actual gameplay stuff in.

I'm so hyped, being I'm my late 20s, it's been such a long while since I've actually been genuinely excited for a game, reading all the info and etc

MormaPope

Banned
Listening to Skeletons by Stevie Wonder made me realize, Michael is probably going to run into someone he betrayed when he went to the FIB. Not Trevor, but other people he worked with. I also assume Michael went to the FIB when his wife got pregnant, as he wanted a stable family life instead of chasing the next big heist.

Too bad his family ended up being putrid, but he might of caused their greedy and petty personalities by raking in money the FIB gave him. The rich American lifestyle tainted Michael's family quickly.

Would be mindblowing if Michael ratted on Franklin's father in the past.

Endo Punk

I get the feeling Rockstar is done putting GTA in different time periods. I guess the franchise will remain modern which is a damn shame.

MormaPope

Banned
But what about the 70s/80s! That shit needs to be covered too. Well then again there is DLC and Rockstar have done great with expansions to past games.

Honestly, if Rockstar made a GTA V expansion, and it took place in Vice City in the 80's, people would lose their minds. I think I read something where Dan Houser said they wern't going to do big pieces of DLC because the overall reception sales wise was lukewarm.

And if GTA V lives up to what Rockstar has been saying, GTA V might be enough GTA for a long time.

Squire

Banned
But what about the 70s/80s! That shit needs to be covered too. Well then again there is DLC and Rockstar have done great with expansions to past games.

Uh, can I recommend you Vice City? That's the 80's. not sure the 70's are different enough to do a whole game.

I've said before, but Michael's tie to the FIB is one of the most interesting things about him because he obviously won't tell Franklin and Trevor about it.

AJ_Wings

I think I read or saw somewhere that some time passes each time you shift characters outside of missions, so that would give them an excuse to make the character you just left be at a totally different event/place if you jump back to him immediately.

I'm not expecting nor do I want a correct simulation of their simultaneous lives, seems like a huge waste of resources that could've gone into putting a bunch of other actual gameplay stuff in.

I'm so hyped, being I'm my late 20s, it's been such a long while since I've actually been genuinely excited for a game, reading all the info and etc

That does seem like a really smart way to handle it. At first, I thought the entire process was real time and the fact they'll be doing all of that on the 360's 512 MB memory and I'm like "What?!"

MormaPope

Banned
Uh, can I recommend you Vice City? That's the 80's. not sure the 70's are different enough to do a whole game.

I've said before, but Michael's tie to the FIB is one of the most interesting things about him because he obviously won't tell Franklin and Trevor about it.

The 70's would be the perfect period to revisit Liberty City, as New York was a really grimy and dirty place in the 70's, but a lot of people would be turned off by returning to Liberty City so soon or at all.

I wouldn't mind it at all personally.

pubba

The 70's would be the perfect period to revisit Liberty City, as New York was a really grimy and dirty place in the 70's, but a lot of people would be turned off by returning to Liberty City so soon or at all.

I wouldn't mind it at all personally.

I agree. The 70s has such awesome music and they could incorporate the disco scene, street gangs, drugs and crazy politics of the era.

UrbanRats

Nice, link?

This was the thread
I had not read the latest updates though, which seem to indicate that she's not Amanda after all (maybe someone else).
Or maybe she's just toying around with the fans, since technically she can't confirm anything?

http://youtu.be/YaHzpxyMk5k
The voice fits.

UkEdOrr.png

Top Bottom