• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

UrbanRats

Of course not but maybe more than 1 apartment building with 1 floor with none of the doors enter able besides yours?

That'd be greeeeeeat.

The argument is usually that they should do smaller worlds but "more detailed" and with more enterable buildings.

The problem i have with that is that, given a finite amount of time and money, i'd rather them concentrate on making the world big and expansive for enjoyable travel with all sort of vehicles.
I would certainly like several modeled interiors, be it the inside of a bank (for mission and immersion purposes) or the hallways of a building (get to the roof to snipe)but to me, in a GTA game, it'll always be a secondary feature to the idea of flying a plane, crashing and be lost in the woods, or having an extensive and complicated chase in intricate city streets.

I wouldn't spit on a beefier number of enterable buildings, of course, but not at the cost of a large and expansive map.

That's one of the things I'm hoping for next gen. I'll take stuff like that over amazing graphics any day.

I'm not sure how big the actual city is, but the whole island is apparently (if I'm remembering correctly) around the size of San Andreas and GTA IV put together. Including the ocean it's GTA IV + SA + RDR.
The RDR metric is always easier:

3.5x RDR's map of landmass.
5x RDR's map if you include the oceanbed.

pargonta

Was Samuel L. Jackson not well known when San Andreas came out?

perhaps, i came into gta with IV.

I was referencing the initial Game Informer GTA V reveal article, where i believe the housers mention they dislike using known celebrity actors.

i like jonah hill, so it would work though, but i do doubt the validity of the imdb posting.

Gorillaz

Was Samuel L. Jackson not well known when San Andreas came out?

perhaps, i came into gta with IV.

I was referencing the initial Game Informer GTA V reveal article, where i believe the housers mention they dislike using known celebrity actors.

i like jonah hill, so it would work though, but i do doubt the validity of the imdb posting.

I hope you guys aren't serious.

UrbanRats

What should I get this on - PS3 or 360? Probably too early to tell...
So far 360 was always the safer bet, with R*.
LA Noire was better on ps3, but if i'm not mistaken that wasn't on RAGE.

They also have been demoing the game (to the press) on ps3, so far.
It's too early to tell.

dreamfall

I didn't know you could just stab the guy and leave the building unnoticed, blew my mind to read that.

Wait really?! What if you used like a baseball bat or something? Was it just melee that didn't trigger the warning level?

That is awesome- replaying some of TLAD at the moment, but I want to try this!

UrbanRats

Wait really?! What if you used like a baseball bat or something? Was it just melee that didn't trigger the warning level?

That is awesome- replaying some of TLAD at the moment, but I want to try this!
Yeah, it was posted in one of the many GTAIV threads.
I didn't try it myself, but apparently if you don't shoot him and don't throw him off the window, you can just leave without the guards/police on your ass.

Muffdraul

What should I get this on - PS3 or 360? Probably too early to tell...

According to previews, R* has only shown the PS3 version to the press. Probably safe to say this indicates the PS3 version won't be the redheaded stepchild that GTA IV PS3 was.

I used to consider GTA a Playstation franchise, but GTA IV broke me of that and I was planning on getting GTA V on 360. If the 360 version turns out to be multi discs, then I'll go back to PS3.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
So does anyone know if Jimmy is Danny Tamberelli? He follows R* on twitter and he sounds like him in those trailers.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Yeah, it was posted in one of the many GTAIV threads.
I didn't try it myself, but apparently if you don't shoot him and don't throw him off the window, you can just leave without the guards/police on your ass.
I shot him, then jumped through the window. In retrospect, not the most brilliant move I could have pulled...

So how big is Los Santos? I'm a little bummed that it's just one city, but if it's massive, then it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm guessing it'll be about the same size as IV's Liberty City, which is fine by me as that city was big enough. With the much larger countryside, the scale of the overall map is of course much larger but I think IV was about as big as a video game city needs to be. Especially since it'll be explored less as there is much more map to cover.

delta25

Banned
If those mock maps are anything to go by I'm really liking the idea of a "Salton Sea " like area, It could really make for a great place to have derelict buildings to explore.

salton_sea.jpg

Fjordson

You know what he means.
Not completely. I still am not sure what that complaint means whenever it's brought up.

Do people need to make sure the UI font colour is to their liking? Or see what the back of Michael's jacket looks like? There's really nothing else I can think of that we're missing out on with these types of trailers.

Edit: I guess the third person camera positioning is something legitimate that we aren't seeing, but that's always been fine in past GTA games.

UrbanRats

Not completely. I still am not sure what that complaint means whenever it's brought up.

Do people need to make sure the UI font colour is to their liking? Or see what the back of Michael's jacket looks like? There's really nothing else I can think of that we're missing out on with these types of trailers.

Edit: I guess the third person camera positioning is something legitimate that we aren't seeing, but that's always been fine in past GTA games.

Admittedly, in a proper gameplay video you get a much clearer idea of what the game is actually like.
Especially considering all the changes done to the controls and the shooting, it's a legitimate request.
I wouldn't mind a gameplay series, like RDR etc.

waypoetic

Banned
Gameplay videos reveal character movement, animation, the interaction between the character and the game world, physics and of course : the in-game graphics.

The camera positioning and the UI colour, why would we worry about that?

The camera when driving cars was absolutely atrocious in IV.

Not only was it off-center but it wouldn't auto-adjust on hills, etc.

Fjordson

The camera positioning and the UI colour, why would we worry about that?
It was sarcasm. I'm saying that's really all we're missing.

Direct gameplay would show off shooting and driving from the rear third person camera angle and R* would make sure it looked good. I don't think you would get any sort of serious impression about how the controls felt or anything. We'd need a demo for that and R* certainly isn't going to do that.

As for graphics, every previous R* game has looked like its trailers, so I'm not too concerned with that.

Fair point, that did feel off in IV.

Edit: Seeing the character switching mechanic would be cool. To see what it looks like and how fast you transition from one character to the next.

SinSilla

I'd trade more enterable buildings for more detailed shop windows/interiors every day.
Having just a texture does not work for me, even if its a very high resolution one.

We've at least seen some minor hints at improvements in that regard, so there is hope.

I'd be very pleased if all the trailers we've seen was from the ps3 version. I'm fairly certain that it will turn up very good. I've read that MP3 on both consoles look very close (DF eurogamer) can anyone confirm this?

dejay

Banned

Technically speaking, the camera wasn't off centre, it was just centred on the driver - which I adjusted to pretty quickly.

Worst part: seeing the side of my car but not what was in front of me when taking sharp turns.

This is the annoying part - pulling off a good slide should be rewarded. Instead it discouraged you by making it hard to tell where you were pointed.

netBuff

At least in terms of positioning, the stand-alone disc version of the "Episodes of Liberty City" improves the driving camera greatly.

Muffdraul

Technically speaking, the camera wasn't off centre, it was just centred on the driver - which I adjusted to pretty quickly.

And it became a complete non-issue if you switched to the "on the hood" camera view, which is centered on the car. I used to only use that view when racing, but it was GTA IV that made me switch to that mode permanently and never go back to the "third person" driving view. That was when I was able to realize just how excellent IV's driving really is. I can't fucking stand 3rd person driving anymore, and it drives me up the wall when I play something that doesn't offer the option to switch to on-the-hood or 1st person. e.g. Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, Just Cause. Feels completely inferior to me now.

sytadel

Why can't I stop looking at every morsel that gets spoon fed to us by Rockstar. Every day I lust for more, any small scrap...Drip fed marketing these days is ridiculously shrewd. And were all on the street looking for that blue magic, absolutely addicted. I mean these days we get hour long analyses of trailers? It's a little weird.

Not sure if anyone else has thought of it yet, but when they said peds would take pictures of you commiting crimes and call the cops, what if they ACTUALLY took a picture, and was saved for you to see it later? This might be hard to do on consoles, but it would be very doable on a pc. Would be awesome going back to your house and getting a message saying that you have 15 new pictures of you beating the shit out of people.

Top Bottom