• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

UrbanRats

It seems like POlice bikes are confirmed, in the new Edge screens.
I can't poste them, as i've seen them on GTAForums, but they're scans, still they have put together some bullet points:
Summary: (Thanks to gamesguru)

• "Time will sometimes pass when you switch, allowing Rockstar to subtly nudge the story forward"
• The camera is "grainy" when pulling up into the Google Earth style view, during switches.
• "They'll each stick, broadly speaking, to one area of the map". [When you're not controlling them.]
• The descent when Franklin drops from the Helicopter, that opens the demo, took 3 minutes.
• "We're in Red Dead country, then, with the soporific rhythm of hooves on dirt replaced by the whistle of wind through silk, and a new, dynamic score". [The hooves are probably referring to Red Dead, and not confirmation of horses.]
• The hotel Michael is leaving during the demo is called Von Crastenburg (I couldn't remember if the name has been mentioned before, though the hotel part has, but I included it anyway).
• The ambient score when Franklin descends has a soft-synth reminiscent of something out of the Drive OST.
• The view of the land is flatter in the radar/mini-map, reminiscent of a GPS (whatever that means), and three colour meters for health, armour and Special are below it (mentioned before as green, blue and yellow respectively).
• Michael looks like a tough guy, in his walk, but his sprint shows his age.
• "80's Soul" heard from one car.
• Handling is more forgiving, but not "dumbed down".
• You'll only be able to switch characters, when a menu overlay appears in the bottom corner during missions. A lot of the switches in mission are made automatically. There are also text prompts suggesting character switches.
• During the demo of the Blitz Party mission, Michael, Trevor and Franklin were donning the hockey mask, skull mask and monkey mask (respectively). [Whereas in Michael's trailer they were wearing gas masks; perhaps a development change, or an idea on the choice we have?]
• The characters' turning circle is more like Max Payne's, and less like Niko's (so smoother movement).

sunnz

I jumped up in JOY hearing the driving is not dumbed down, THAT TO me is THE BEST news I could have hoped for.

IV driving made the game so good to me.

Officially my most hyped game ever now, dammit, so far away.!

Thankyou Rockstar.

SJRB

Gold Member
It seems like POlice bikes are confirmed, in the new Edge screens.

No they're not. There appears to be a motorcycle at the edge of one of the screens; some people think it's a police bike, others think it's a regular bike.

It's speculation at this point until the screenshots get released.

LukeTim

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, and I was wondering after hearing about the fact that the other two playable characters will keep going about their business whilst you play as the third... Do we know if it's possible to run into either of the other characters, at random?

That'd be pretty cool.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, and I was wondering after hearing about the fact that the other two playable characters will keep going about their business whilst you play as the third... Do we know if it's possible to run into either of the other characters, at random?

That'd be pretty cool.

yeah.. what happens when you take Trevor to Franklin or whatever? will they react to each other at least? there's potential for some really cool random events..

i kept hoping in GTAIV to randomly bump into Jacob or Brucie on the street heh. would've added to immersion and it wouldn't have been all that difficult to implement.

dejay

Banned
No they're not. There appears to be a motorcycle at the edge of one of the screens; some people think it's a police bike, others think it's a regular bike.

Well the helmet and the shirt the dude's wearing sure looks like Erik Estrada's going out for a bit of a cruise.

UrbanRats

That looks a lot like Puncerello to me.
The blue helmet with something that looks like a badge on it, plus Trevor is being chased by the cops in that shot (police helicopter in the air), so it's a safe assumption.

If it's not confirmed, it's still very likely that they'll be in, it's not absurd, as they were in San Andreas anyway.

Raptomex

That'd be pretty cool.
You can run into them at random. I think this was mentioned in the first preview. They go about their own lives.

LukeTim

You can run into them at random. I think this was mentioned in the first preview. They go about their own lives.

"They go about their own lives" is not the same as "You can run into them at random".

Sorry, I don't mean to be a dick or anything... and maybe running into them at random was explicitly mentioned...

But this is a game, this is not simulation, this is emulation. When they say "they go about their own lives" that could in fact mean that the game constantly tracks character's movements, and out of that a random encounter could organically emerge... they could also mean that when you switch between characters a random situation and location is generated from a particular set of possibilities... in which case a random encounter would have to be generated if it were to be made a possibility.

With the former (less likely) scenario, a random encounter is a definite possibility, and Rockstar don't even need to do anything extra to make it so. With the latter scenario, random encounters are not necessarily a possibility.

Raptomex

"They go about their own lives" is not the same as "You can run into them at random".

Sorry, I don't mean to be a dick or anything... and maybe running into them at random was explicitly mentioned...

But this is a game, this is not simulation, this is emulation. When they say "they go about their own lives" that could in fact mean that the game constantly tracks character's movements, and out of that a random encounter could organically emerge... they could also mean that when you switch between characters a random situation and location is generated from a particular set of possibilities... in which case a random encounter would have to be generated if it were to be made a possibility.

With the former (less likely) scenario, a random encounter is a definite possibility, and Rockstar don't even need to do anything extra to make it so. With the latter scenario, random encounters are not necessarily a possibility.
No I mean I'm pretty sure it was specifically mentioned that you can run into them. I'd have to find it but I'm at work. I have the original Game Informer issue at home.

Raptomex

Oh, okay. Sorry. I misunderstood what you meant.

Thanks, pal.
Well even if you think about it it would almost have to be true. During character switches the map zooms out then zooms in onto the other character wherever he may be. And according to Edge today in a previous post here each character sticks to a general area of the map so I doubt they would just appear out of nowhere during character switches.

Fjordson

I can't wait to hear the OST.

The ambient score when Franklin descends has a soft-synth reminiscent of something out of the Drive OST.

Drive style synth music...I wonder if there's a chance Johnny Jewel is scoring this.

UrbanRats

I can't wait to hear the OST.

Drive style synth music...I wonder if there's a chance Johnny Jewel is scoring this.
Even better, from the Edge preview:

"Michael, though, is taking more than his fair share of hits as he moves from cover to cover, and it's here, as that dynamic score hits its throbbing Krautrock peak, that we suddenly realise that this is the first GTA game with regenerating health."

Krautrock goodness sounds like heaven to me.

Fjordson

Interesting.

On his record label's Facebook page late last year if I recall, Johnny Jewel said he was working on a big name project but it was top secret. Only clue he gave was that it wasn't a film or TV show and that its audience would be way bigger than any of his previous projects.

He was the original intended composer for Drive, I think he would be a great fit (seriously, look up Themes for an Imaginary Film by Symmetry or anything by Chromatics). The incredible Chromatics album Night Drive came out in 2007 so he's been producing that dark synth sound for years. This shit came out six years ago. If something like that isn't perfect for nighttime in a big city/the buildup when you're getting ready for a big Heist then I don't know what is.

Michael Hunter is on the IMDB page as doing the score.

That'd be totally fine with me, his IV theme is quite good.
The only weird thing with that is someone earlier in this topic mentioned Joystiq asking R* about the soundtrack at their demo and they answered "it's a composer worth announcing at a later date". Makes it sound like a bit of a surprise. Could be Hunter is doing the main theme or something and an outside composer is coming in to do the rest of the score. Or maybe Joystiq is misquoting that answer and it is Michael Hunter.

This is probably just crazy fan speculation :lol I would love for it to be Johnny Jewel, but I doubt the composer will be what anyone is predicting. Sort of like HEALTH for Max Payne 3. Seemed like a random choice at first, but ended up working great.

Hmm.

That'd be cool.

I hope it's not Hill playing Jimmy.
Doesn't sound like him nor do I really like his schtick.

So hopefully IMDB is just wrong about everythang.

Fjordson

I can sort of hear Jonah Hill, but I feel like it's a mistake. Jimmy's voice is definitely different to me. A bit raspier than Jonah Hill's. And it'd be weird to suddenly use a big name celebrity in GTA again. For what I assume is a minor character no less.

Blearth

Banned
Admittedly, in a proper gameplay video you get a much clearer idea of what the game is actually like.
Especially considering all the changes done to the controls and the shooting, it's a legitimate request.
I wouldn't mind a gameplay series, like RDR etc.

Didn't happen with IV. First time anyone saw gameplay was a couple of days before launch.

Worst part: seeing the side of my car but not what was in front of me when taking sharp turns.

This is the annoying part - pulling off a good slide should be rewarded. Instead it discouraged you by making it hard to tell where you were pointed.

wmo440.jpg

Makes that problem go away.

LukeTim

Not sure if anyone else has thought of it yet, but when they said peds would take pictures of you commiting crimes and call the cops, what if they ACTUALLY took a picture, and was saved for you to see it later? This might be hard to do on consoles, but it would be very doable on a pc. Would be awesome going back to your house and getting a message saying that you have 15 new pictures of you beating the shit out of people.

This just gave me a cool idea.

GTAIV had an in-game internet... of sorts. And I would be surprised if GTAV didn't...

So, what if there was an in-game social network... and you might occassionally see photos (maybe videos?) of yourself going viral.

MMaRsu

Interesting.

On his record label's Facebook page late last year if I recall, Johnny Jewel said he was working on a big name project but it was top secret. Only clue he gave was that it wasn't a film or TV show and that its audience would be way bigger than any of his previous projects.

He was the original intended composer for Drive, I think he would be a great fit (seriously, look up Themes for an Imaginary Film by Symmetry or anything by Chromatics). The incredible Chromatics album Night Drive came out in 2007 so he's been producing that dark synth sound for years. This shit came out six years ago. If something like that isn't perfect for nighttime in a big city/the buildup when you're getting ready for a big Heist then I don't know what is.

The only weird thing with that is someone earlier in this topic mentioned Joystiq asking R* about the soundtrack at their demo and they answered "it's a composer worth announcing at a later date". Makes it sound like a bit of a surprise. Could be Hunter is doing the main theme or something and an outside composer is coming in to do the rest of the score. Or maybe Joystiq is misquoting that answer and it is Michael Hunter.

This is probably just crazy fan speculation :lol I would love for it to be Johnny Jewel, but I doubt the composer will be what anyone is predicting. Sort of like HEALTH for Max Payne 3. Seemed like a random choice at first, but ended up working great.

Man that sounds really cool I gotta say. I'm not familiar with Johnny Jewel but it sure sounds great.

Horns

I went and bought it again, too. I'm a little worried that GTA IV has ruined it for me...

I recently played SA and felt the same way. While SA is an amazing game last generation, after playing IV and other current gen open world games so much SA just felt gimped. The shooting and driving mechanics felt especially dated. I also had forgotten how short the console draw distance was in past GTAs.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I recently played SA and felt the same way. While SA is an amazing game last generation, after playing IV and other current gen open world games so much SA just felt gimped. The shooting and driving mechanics felt especially dated. I also had forgotten how short the console draw distance was in past GTAs.

Ahhhhhhhhh Nuts. That's exactly what I was afraid of. Are there no redeeming features...?

Top Bottom