• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

UrbanRats

Just a reminder that proper turf wars will most likely NOT be in, as sunnz reported:

"San Andreas fans look back fondly at the gang wars between the Ballas, Grove Street Families, and Vagos. Though modern day Los Santos is very different from the golden era of street gangs featured in that game, Rockstar has confirmed that the Ballas are still going strong.

When you ride into gang territory, they don't automatically attack you like they used to. The thugs mind their own business unless you antagonize them by drawing a weapon. Their extreme distaste for authority, however, is much more apparent. Whenever the police roll into their neighborhood, the Ballas will open fire on the boys in blue. This can be used to your advantage when you're trying to lose the heat in a chase. Drive into gang territory and they will immediately attack the police, giving you a window to escape
."

Con_Smith

Banned
Just a reminder that proper turf wars will most likely NOT be in, as sunnz reported:

If true this might be a hint to how much they might change up your heat in the game. I hope this is balanced. Would be great to cause some trouble and ride through rival gang territories thinking I can game the system and have them laugh at me or have more than just a function to bypass or lose the cops. GTA is always at it's best when the npc's surprise you or the unexpected occurs.

UrbanRats

Grand Theft Auto III is one of the most important games of all time. One major part of that is the circular map on the bottom left of the screen--one that would be aped by nearly every open-world game since. And with Grand Theft Auto V, Rockstar is remaking it.

While it's still in development (Rockstar says that the design isn't final), the iteration of the radar we saw was drastically different from the one in previous games. It's rectangular, like a car's GPS system, and has a more angled view of the world. Below it, there are three bars, simplifying the game's HUD: Green is health, blue is armor, and yellow is "special," which is used for the aforementioned character-specific special abilities. You know, like Trevor's "Rage" mode.
http://www.gamesradar.com/gta-5-release-date-news-rumors/

Sounds ugly. :\

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Hideo Kojima

Watched "GTA V" trailer with 3 protagonists. As expected it has a feel of American. I'm impressed. I cannot make this far American world view. BTW "GTA" also is using "V". lol

Endo Punk

Under the seeeeaaaaaaa! Searching for sunken treasure while fighting off Sharks n Octopuses is going to be the best. Favourite addition to GTAV.

1280.jpg

The narrative dissonance!!

Endo Punk

The narrative dissonance!!

I don't think GTA falls in that category. The cutscenes and gameplay mesh very well and of course it's entirely up to the player to go crazy or not unlike games like Tomb Raider where you are a fragile little girl in story but a killing machine in gameplay. But that's part of the package with gaming.

Hideo Kojima

It seems Europe/UK understand American culture better than Japan :p I'm curious how MGS would be like if it done away with its Japanese quirks and became more serious... actually maybe not.

bomma_man

Hideo Kojima

Does he realise it's made in Scotland?

I don't think GTA falls in that category. The cutscenes and gameplay mesh very well and of course it's entirely up to the player to go crazy or not unlike games like Tomb Raider where you are a fragile little girl in story but a killing machine in gameplay. But that's part of the package with gaming.

GTAIV was one of the worst offenders.

Comes to America for a new start

Kills ten people for $100

dreamfall

The character said one thing and did another. Sounds like a regular person, not narrative dissonance.

This is brilliant. I think I'm going to quote you everytime the issue comes up!

Yeah, I didn't mind playing the roles of three psychopaths in GTA IV + Episodes. Everyone felt like they were working to bettering their lives, and I was willing to accept that it involved killing a lot of people. A lot!

Which is really funny, because the things I love most about IV are the peaceful drives, and meandering about. Maybe catch a show, watch some in-game T.V., play some air-hockey. The simple things. I'm so happy about customization being back in full effect. New outfits, new car parts, maybe even gun parts?

Midnight Club's car customization + Max Payne 3' shooting mechanics = bliss. Straight up!

GlamFM

Banned
Favorite shot from the new bunch for one reason only: It brings me back to driving on those long stretches of roads/highways in San Andreas through the wilderness/countryside/desert areas just listening to the radio. One of the things I missed most from SA --> GTAIV. I hated that Just Cause 2 had such terrible vehicles and no radio because that game could've given me the same kind of experience.

There better be an insanely long freeway loop in this game *shakes fist*

100% Everything you said!

I would drive in this road in SA:

0Tedhgm.jpg

for hours back and forth, at day, at night, just listening to the music.

I WANT THAT FEELING BACK!

There better be small towns located around the map - do not just want one huge city followed by nothing.

Small towns with their own distinct feel - tiny communities put together in a realistic way.

GlamFM

Banned
There better be small towns located around the map - do not just want one huge city followed by nothing.

Small towns with their own distinct feel - tiny communities put together in a realistic way.

At least one trailer park is confirmed from the trailers.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ha, nice. As a fan of American pop culture, I always wondered if Hideo had at least a passing interest in GTA.

Which reminds me that a new GTA and MGS are currently on the way. Great time for games.

I recall he referenced GTA in an early trailer for MGS3. I think Snake tried to steal a bike in the middle of the jungle, but the rider says "This isn't Grand Theft Auto" and drives off.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Even better- Oculus Rift support!!!

Fuck yeah! You know there will be a PC version and somebody will mod it. I'm just hoping the consumer version is out by early next year (and the PC version of GTA V for that matter).

One thing I'm really looking forward to is the diversity of the landscape. I loved NYC in GTAIV but it really all felt the same even though there were 'neighborhoods'. I spent a few days in NYC so it's pretty apt if you aren't from there you don't recognize 'areas' as much and it all kind of melds together (might have been the booze) but what I missed from GTA IV was what RDR gave me, there were definite differences in the areas you went to, I started knowing where I was on the map and such.

I guess that's a good thing and a bad thing. I never knew where I was in GTA IV but that was probably the point. In GTA V I hope to get back that feeling of "knowing" the city. Where I don't have to use the GPS. If there is enough variety this is more possible, but with GTA IV it's mainly three gigantic grids that all look pretty similar.

I believe Trevor's trailer pretty much confirms that. He seems to live in a little trailer park community.

Marleyman

Banned
GTAIV was one of the worst offenders.

Comes to America for a new start

Kills ten people for $100

He did and found out he was lied to. He did what he had to do in the storyline. Now, the way you controlled Niko may have been far different than I did. I didn't randomly kill pedestrians for money.

Marleyman

Banned
One thing I'm really looking forward to is the diversity of the landscape. I loved NYC in GTAIV but it really all felt the same even though there were 'neighborhoods'. I spent a few days in NYC so it's pretty apt if you aren't from there you don't recognize 'areas' as much and it all kind of melds together (might have been the booze) but what I missed from GTA IV was what RDR gave me, there were definite differences in the areas you went to, I started knowing where I was on the map and such.

I guess that's a good thing and a bad thing. I never knew where I was in GTA IV but that was probably the point. In GTA V I hope to get back that feeling of "knowing" the city. Where I don't have to use the GPS. If there is enough variety this is more possible, but with GTA IV it's mainly three gigantic grids that all look pretty similar.

I get where you are coming from; the beauty of the GTA series, to me, is the difference between San Andreas and Liberty City. I am sure they will deliver a much more detailed Los Santos this time around but the original definitely had more of an open feeling. Liberty City was, as you described, basically. Once you went into Jersey things changed up a bit, but it was basically the same.

JoshHood

think someone pointed this out awhile ago - but that description sounds like the map in Watch Dogs

and i read it somewhere, forgot if it's the previews, that when you are walking it's still top down view. only when you are driving it looks like the one described above.
That matches what one of the previews mentioned about the minimap being an altimeter when skydiving, it just switched depending.

sunnz

I agree, the best parts of SA was just driving on the roads with the badass radio playing. It just felt soo good.

In IV, they had the driving physics nearly perfected ( so nice to cruise in that game) but the radio wasn't that good and most importantly the map was kinda bad for this type of stuff.

BUT since it had MP, it was fun to download a few "off road maps" for IV and all of us do it together and such.

That screen with the plane is my favourite too, love the layout of that that side of the map.

I agree, the best parts of SA was just driving on the roads with the badass radio playing. It just felt soo good..
A great experience, no doubt, although one that was often ruined by terrible pop-in.

A problem that plagued GTA IV in much the same way.

Hopefully that's fixed.

sunnz

A great experience, no doubt, although one that was often ruined by terrible pop-in.

A problem that plagued GTA IV in much the same way.

Hopefully that's fixed.

I worry that pop in will be the most common problem, with so much stuff they are adding in and with so little memory to work with...

I assume the 360 will have less pop in though.

Will be there a mountain in the game I wonder? Hang gliding of that would be awesome.

Yes, Mtn Chiliad will be in the game and be very big. Whether you can hang glide though....

Top Bottom