• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

lefantome

943380_10152822664950290_665077448_n.jpg

in my dreams :(

are GTA V dashboard themes available yet?

Even so, I think the car jacking pic is one of the best to display the graphic engine. It has nice use of colors and saturation. The city feels alive and I haven't even played it. Much better than the dreary GTAIV.

MUCH better. I just finished GTA4 and man was that a dark, dreary and depressing game. I'm looking forward to COLOURS. And proper humour. It's back!

netBuff

These few screenshots look really atmospheric: I can't wait to put my hands on the game!

Those screens look absolutely jaggerific.

I really hope they will release a PS4 version at a later date: This is one of the games I would be very willing to double-dip for.

MormaPope

Banned
MUCH better. I just finished GTA4 and man was that a dark, dreary and depressing game. I'm looking forward to COLOURS. And proper humour. It's back!

I'd expect very dark and depressing moments in GTA V, sure the trailers look goofy at many points, but I don't expect the trio of characters riding off into the sunset by the end.

I'd expect very dark and depressing moments in GTA V, sure the trailers look goofy at many points, but I don't expect the trio of characters riding off into the sunset by the end.

I don't expect that either, however they're definitely setting a tone with the trailers they've released, and it screams more 'Lethal Weapon' than it does 'Taxi Driver,' for example.

I think it's going to start like Lethal Weapon, and end like Taxi Driver.

It's going to start and end, and continue thereafter, with me holding an Xbox 360 controller and gazing lovingly at my HDTV.

If it's as good as I believe it will be, it will end up delaying my purchase of a PS4, just to keep playing it.

I've decided this will be the first game since Super Mario World (on the SNES) that I plan on 100%ing.

Something about this game (maybe it's the sunken ships) makes it seem like it's going to be a bit more fantastical than normal, and I like that a lot.

It is starting to get really hard for me to wait for this game, even with the 200 other games coming out before it. I know I will spend so much time with it...

Loxley

Man, my hype for this is about as high as it could possibly get. GTAIV and RDR are my two most-played games of this gen, I've completed both start-to-finish at least four or five times. There's something about the worlds that Rockstar's teams manage to create that just draws me in completely.

I'm really yearning to see some direct gameplay, which - if history repeats itself - Rockstar would likely reveal through a few of those 'gameplay series' videos.

I hope those police bikers try to cling to your car, Terminator-style, and throw you out unless you shake them off or just shoot them. Kinda like how they were meant to in San Andreas before the feature got cut.

Whilst I do hope for better AI, I also kinda hope they still follow you just so I can lead bears into the city.

This is why we need a PC version.

RDR, one of my greatest moments was that my friend and I found what seemed like a friendly bear.. well, he did not attack us. We herded him into blackwater, where he set upon the crowd and mauled like ~20 people. Nobody brought the bear to justice and it was the great bear mauling of 1911.

As much as you may not have liked it the police reacting that way were realistic due to the setting. Also, you could do some things without cops being involved.

Can't we just stop the tiresome "it was realistic for the setting" excuse for poorly implemented features in GTAIV? You ardently defend things like bowling with friends in GTAIV, so don't you see some "realism" problem in that you can gun down a handful of people in the streets and then go bowling with your best pal family cuz Roman?

The "realism" excuse is ridiculous.

If it's realistic for cops to show up when you're trying to do the side-quests, like shoot pidgeons, then it's not realistic for cops to lose you within 30 seconds. Try discharging a gun at a pidgeon in New York City... you're not going to hop into a stolen car and drive away unscathed.
*edit*

Also, want to say re: someone else, I'm not a GTAIV hater, I like the game and recognize it as a good game this gen -- although I was disappointed by it largely. But I do think that it took some steps back from VC and SA, especially in the police presence, which is hyper sensitive for a GTA game... Ultimately a game thats based on street level criminal activity. San Andreas' police system obviously was not perfect as well (cops spawn in the same areas over and over again; this was most prevalent in doors where cops would spawn in areas that were otherwise not accessible), but it felt more permissive after having played both IV and SA again recently. Frankly, I think that RDR has an excellent cop system... If you commit a flagrant crime, you get police presence and police never get in the way (for the most part) in exploring the game world or exploring the limits of the game. In GTAIV, I felt that the police were constantly getting in the way of my exploration of the game world, yet they weren't hard enough to be anything more than an incessant inconvenience. I did like the improved system of losing the police and also the more organic feeling of police spawning.

MormaPope

Banned
Rewatching The Shield and thinking about what Dan Houser said about playing as both a protagonist and antagonist has gotten my mind racing.

After most of the heists in the game, Trevor gets tipped off about Michael ratting out on their old crew. After one of the recent heists, Michael is brought in for questioning and interrogation. Trevor gets spooked and decides to put a hit out on Michael and his entire family.

The hit goes as planned but Michael was out catching up with his daughter. Michael's son and wife are brutally murdered in a drive by style killing. Michael is horrified and enraged, and sends his daughter to Liberty City with a bunch of cash. Michael then goes to Franklin and heavily questions him, thinking he could've been the one that organized the drive by.

Franklin denies any involvement and vows that him and Michael will get the truth. Michael organizes a meeting with Trevor, Trevor and Michael meet, Trevor attempts to kill Michael and Franklin but both of them escape.

From that point civil war commences. Trevor has most if not all rural towns/gangs in his pocket. Trevor also has support and soldiers from gangs in Los Santos. Franklin has ties to his neighborhood/gang, Michael and Franklin wage war against Trevor in both Los Santos and the countryside.

Franklin eventually gets killed in one of these battles, before he dies he thinks about how he almost made it out of organized crime.

Michael without Franklin and gang support desperately goes after Trevor by targeting and destroying all investments/properties/cash stashes. With nothing to turn to, Trevor and Michael confront each other. Michael ends up killing Trevor.

Michael is now left with very little, no family, no assets, almost no cash. Getting back into the criminal lifestyle makes him lose whatever he gained by being a criminal, along with anything he earned by being legitimate.

During all of this you get to play and see all three perspectives, which would make the story very intense and play out more like a serious TV drama than a linear open world game.

It's somewhat obvious IMO that the blimp is FIB/IAA controlled and is the government keeping tabs on Michael, Trevor, and Franklin.

That would explain the "zoom out" to switch characters thing and be the lynchpin for the game.

UrbanRats

I don't see Franklin dying in the end (unless it's a player choice thing) and they're playing the angle of Franklin's personality clashing with Trevor's, with Michael being the mediator between the two.
Also the "he's the son, i've always wanted" dynamic will play into it, too, i'm sure.

Gorillaz

In my long post above I think it'll end like The Sopranos mixed with The Shield. Very bleak, very depressing, very exhausting.

I don't see Franklin dying in the end (unless it's a player choice thing) and they're playing the angle of Franklin's personality clashing with Trevor's, with Michael being the mediator between the two.
Also the "he's the son, i've always wanted" dynamic will play into it, too, i'm sure.

I'm thinking more of a The Departed ending.

Cheats could make that easier. Hopefully.

I've got a feeling we'll be lucky to get any cheats at all.

RDR, one of my greatest moments was that my friend and I found what seemed like a friendly bear.. well, he did not attack us. We herded him into blackwater, where he set upon the crowd and mauled like ~20 people. Nobody brought the bear to justice and it was the great bear mauling of 1911.

Lol I've been wanting to do this in RDR, but I'm still in Mexico. I keep going back every few weeks, remember how boring Mexico is, then quitting.

I've got a feeling we'll be lucky to get any cheats at all.

Lol I've been wanting to do this in RDR, but I'm still in Mexico. I keep going back every few weeks, remember how boring Mexico is, then quitting.

You could do it in multiplayer where the entire map is open. The benefit of bears in MP is that they are relatively harmless to the player, where as bears in the SP game are far more powerful and have more health. Dunno why they did that. Bears are as easy to drop as wolved in MP.

You could do it in multiplayer where the entire map is open. The benefit of bears in MP is that they are relatively harmless to the player, where as bears in the SP game are far more powerful and have more health. Dunno why they did that. Bears are as easy to drop as wolved in MP.

Bears are as easy to drop as wolves in real life. Headshot.

netBuff

No word. According to Wikipedia, Rockstar is considering PC and Wii U ports. We all know we'll get a PC version, but Wii U, I don't know. I would love it.

Reading the original quote, that Wikipedia claim is pretty close to stretching the truth. This is what the IGN source reads like:

GTA V is only confirmed for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Why not the PC, Wii U and so on?
Everything else is up for consideration. That's all I can give you. The main thing is we are not... we are a third-party publisher. We're not Nintendo, we're not Sony, we're not Microsoft. We love all of them in different ways. But we can do what we want wherever there's the appropriate business opportunity and chance to find a market. If that's on Apple we put something on Apple. Wherever it might be. I think that's the fun in what we do. We see ourselves as a content company that uses technology. We don't make it; we use it to make the most fun stuff.

Source: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/17/gta-v-burning-questions-answered

A PC version seems very likely, but they haven't said anything on the matter. I wouldn't expect a Wii U release.

Top Bottom