• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Fjordson

I appreciate Rockstar's grounded approach in comparison to other series and it's a part of why I enjoy GTA more then them, but limiting driving is a bit too far for me. Being able to unrealistically speed and weave through traffic in a city environment is always fun :lol

No matter, doubt R* puts any of that in the game.

WilyRook

I had a dream about playing this last night. There were hot-air balloons as vehicles, the in-game day took about 2 hours real time, and I used a chainsaw to cut down a tree to make it fall onto an ambulance, within which a couple people were smoking weed. lol.

I think the GTA4 system still has room for a lot of improvement, but I vastly preferred it (and all other NPC-AI interactions) to the other big dogs of open world driving games this generation.
Agreed but the game actively punishes you for being better than the cops/outrunning them.
If I jack a car, zoom up 5 blocks, I should be home free.

No magic cops seeing me (miraculously) 100 feet away or some shit.

The vision cones in GTA V sounds like it will remedy this, however.

bud23

One new screenshot. A life underwater.

1280.jpg

http://www.rockstargames.com/V/screenshots/screenshot/1131

SJRB

Gold Member
I guess the question wether or not the game has police on motorcycles has been settled.

Good.. Good.

I thought GTA IV was an absolute pain in the ass as far as cops/wanted levels go.

It'd be cool if they had a set # of cops working their beats. Doubt that they could pull it off with such little RAM though. They were everywhere in IV and it was a major buzzkill.

It'd be neat if they're on high alert (looking for a red car, etc) but you don't have a wanted level per se. Then I'd be cool with minor infractions getting attention.

Cops were ultra annoying in GTAIV because you couldn't do anything without them showing up. Break into a car? Cop shows up. Shoot a pigeon? Cop shows up. It really ruined exploration and experimentation in the game.

San Andreas does wanted system right. If you're in the middle of nowhere you can act with relative impunity... Even if you're in a section of the city with no cops you can act with relative impunity. In GTAIV, cops arrived for everything. Maybe that's realistic... obviously discharging a gun anywhere in real life will get a police presence, but it was really tiresome.

*edit*

not a chance that they'll implement strict driving laws, just... not a chance. This has been rumored before every single GTA game, it's never been implemented, and it never will. Rockstar isn't stupid.

Raptomex

I like the fact the wanted system has been reworked but I have a feeling they haven't told us anything yet. The whole "line of sight required" is a nice touch.

Marleyman

Banned
Cops were ultra annoying in GTAIV because you couldn't do anything without them showing up. Break into a car? Cop shows up. Shoot a pigeon? Cop shows up. It really ruined exploration and experimentation in the game.

As much as you may not have liked it the police reacting that way were realistic due to the setting. Also, you could do some things without cops being involved.

Scapegoat

Cops don't show up to everything... The cops in most cases need to be alerted to non rampage based crimes... If you shoot a gun and someone hears it, and you let them get away, they'll call the cops. The cops don't come running for you as soon as you shoot - unless there is a cop nearby who can see/hear you.

I've been replaying GTAIV in prep for V and you can do so many things as long as you make sure there isn't too many people about and if you high tail it out of there quick.

I would love a more refined cop system, more graduated responses so it isn't just "kill that man at any cost".

Marleyman

Banned
Cops don't show up to everything... The cops in most cases need to be alerted to non rampage based crimes... If you shoot a gun and someone hears it, and you let them get away, they'll call the cops. The cops don't come running for you as soon as you shoot - unless there is a cop nearby who can see/hear you.

I've been replaying GTAIV in prep for V and you can do so many things as long as you make sure there isn't too many people about and if you high tail it out of there quick.

I would love a more refined cop system, more graduated responses so it isn't just "kill that man at any cost".

I so want this.

Raptomex

I so want this.
I would love this as well. According to the previews they will be able to flank you this time around. So the AI is at least improving.

Marleyman

Banned
I also want to see Niko Bellic in some form. I know they said he won't be in it but it would be awesome, maybe even if he is the antagonist.

Raptomex

First mission killing Niko - I'd love that. And Roman. I'd empty several clips into that bastard.
Nah not the first mission. Maybe the way Mafia 2 did it. It surprises you later on when you
have to go kill Tommy
. I thought that was pretty cool.

Sethos

Banned
943380_10152822664950290_665077448_n.jpg

in my dreams :(

Why do people even bother making that so many months from release? I mean, you could get some fun responses if you did it 2-3 weeks in advance, so it was somewhat plausible but when the game isn't even done, it's just a waste of time.

/nofunallowed.jpg

Muffdraul

Thank you. As someone who really loves GTA IV and has played through it a fuck load of times, it's really frustrating when I hear haters criticize things about it that simply aren't true.

The cop AI system in GTA IV really isn't that much different from what they describe for V. It's very much based on line of sight. Obviously if they can see you, they know exactly where you are. Once you break the line of sight, they still know where your last known location was, and they will very aggressively search for you around there. If you can stay out of their line of sight for a bit, I dunno if it's 30 seconds or a minute or whatever, the cop AI routine cools off and switches from "There he is! Get him!" to "Where is he? Find him?"It often still seems as if the cops know exactly where you are because they will make a bee line straight for you. But if you stay out of sight and don't move, what will often happen is that they'll stop just short of finding you and turn around and go the other way. I think a lot of people panic when they get really close and pop out and start a fire fight, taking them back to full on "THERE HE IS!" mode. Anyway, I get the sense that the GTA V cop system is really just a slight upgrade from this.

No love for Roman? He's the emotional heart of the game!

"BIG AMERICAN TITTIES!"

I HATED Roman the first time I played it, I thought he was just a sloppy, poorly written, poorly performed dumbass clown of a character. But my opinion changed drastically the more I played the story. He's one of my favorite GTA characters.
The key is finding out you can blow off his constant "MY COUSIN! LET'S GO _______" demands without losing fondness pts. He's so much less annoying then.

UrbanRats

Roman >¹² Niko.
Let's not kid ourselves.

Why do people even bother making that so many months from release? I mean, you could get some fun responses if you did it 2-3 weeks in advance, so it was somewhat plausible but when the game isn't even done, it's just a waste of time.

/nofunallowed.jpg
Unhealthy levels of hype.
Also the game on 360 should have 3 discs, each with one character printed over (Part I, II and III of the story).

I would really appreciate if they have behavior other than "kill." The ones in RDR would chase you all the way into town and would only stop once they're almost dead.

Whilst I do hope for better AI, I also kinda hope they still follow you just so I can lead bears into the city.

I read "A bear cycling through the countryside" which brought about a hilarious imagery.

This is why we need a PC version.

Top Bottom