• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Some of them, since I misspoke in an earlier post, so this is like a sexy necrobump, or sexcrobump, which I just, and immediately regretted, coined.

Holy shit! MEGATON

Recently I played through all the Halo games over a week and it was really strange once the grunts were voiced by someone else.

Super happy about him returning.

Kalentan

Stinkles, how long is the campaign? Is it the usual 7 hours run?

They said it's to be longer. For reference Halo 1, 3, 4, and Reach had 10 to 11 levels.

They said in Halo 5 that level 10 was only 2/3 of the way through.

Technically Halo 2 had 15 levels but 1 was a cutscene and 1 was a tutorial. In fact Halo 3, 4, and Reach all have their first level be a cutscene. Halo 1 is the only game to start without one.

So really some of them are only 9 missions long. o.o

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Pretty sure they said it was about twice the length of Halo 4 so maybe 15-ish hours long?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I hope they fix the vertex swimming in the cutscenes, it's a little bit distracting.

It's like Reach all over again.

Edit:
Holy shit, I didn't even realise what I said. Such a nerd!

Akai__

Fred got the moves:

E0unocr.gif
There should be a Skull that allows for dancing.

LordOfChaos

I'm calling it right now: Master Chief is gonna die and this game will set up Locke to be the main character in Halo 6

Kill the cash cow? Nah. MC will be around at least till the conclusion of this trilogy. Locke and Co may get a spin off game...Or Locke may be the one character that dies here.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I swore that I wouldn't touch halo after that awful collection debacle, but...this looks too damn good to resist

I don't understand statements like this. A technical issue doesn't change how great the games are....

Omni

It really bothers me that the shotgun's flash light doesn't seem to actually light up the environment.

and those pelicans are still the ugliest things ever. RIP

Pelican_render.png

jediyoshi

I'm calling it right now: Master Chief is gonna die and this game will set up Locke to be the main character in Halo 6

At best they'd freeze him and shoot him off into the depths of space only to return at the climax of 6 with an army of Cortana droids.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
They said it's to be longer. For reference Halo 1, 3, 4, and Reach had 10 to 11 levels.

They said in Halo 5 that level 10 was only 2/3 of the way through.

Technically Halo 2 had 15 levels but 1 was a cutscene and 1 was a tutorial. In fact Halo 3, 4, and Reach all have their first level be a cutscene. Halo 1 is the only game to start without one.

So really some of them are only 9 missions long. o.o

We know there are 13 skulls. From the missions we have seen so far they are 0/1 skulls collected. So if we follow that pattern there are at least 13 missions. If there is a prelude and a postlude, that is 15 missions right now. If I had to guess we have 6 Locke missions, 6 chief missions and 1 mission at the end that they all fight together.

Mission 1: Prelude
Mission 2: Locke - Snow Level
Mission 3: Chief - Blue Team
Mission 4: Locke -
Mission 5: Chief -
Mission 6: Locke -
Mission 7: Chief -
Mission 8: Locke -
Mission 9: Chief -
Mission 10: Locke - Enemy Lines
Mission 11: Chief -
Mission 12: Locke
Mission 13: Chief
Mission 14: Locke
Mission 15: Chief/Both
Mission 16: Postlude

BokehKing

Banned
Unless they replace master chief with Buck, that will succeed.

Anyone else, I think it would tank. Especially Locke, he has the presence of a doorman or bellboy. You know he is there to show you the way, but you really don't need his help.

We know there are 13 skulls. From the missions we have seen so far they are 0/1 skulls collected. So if we follow that pattern there are at least 13 missions. If there is a prelude and a postlude, that is 15 missions right now. If I had to guess we have 6 Locke missions, 6 chief missions and 1 mission at the end that they all fight together.

Mission 0: Prelude
Mission 1: Locke
Mission 2: Chief
Mission 3: Locke
Mission 4: Chief
Mission 5: Locke
Mission 6: Chief
Mission 7: Locke
Mission 8: Chief
Mission 9: Locke
Mission 10: Chief
Mission 11: Locke
Mission 12: Chief
Mission 13: Locke
Mission 14: Chief/Both
Mission 15: Postlude

Skull 1 appears on level 2, assuming level 1 is a full level (Osiris team intro, snow land). So skull count appear not to be a guarantee of length, but rather an indication.

Calm Killer

Skull 1 appears on level 2, assuming level 1 is a full level (Osiris team intro, snow land). So skull count appear not to be a guarantee of length, but rather an indication.

I updated it, since then, but yes I see what you are saying.

Calm Killer

It's been mentioned that enemy lines is stage 10, but I'm not sure if that's correct. It's also been said that that level is about "half way" and about "two thirds" of the way through the game. We know the game is the biggest and longest yet, according to the devs, and that's good enough for me.

It is level 10. It is shown as that in the menu of the Lets play video.

Random17

I'm not entirely convinced it'll be back and forth after the first two missions. It'll probably end up like 5 and 8 missions to the Chief and Locke respectively. Chief's missions will probably be single insertions, while Locke may have 2 missions in a row.

Leyasu

Banned
After years of waiting for blue teams return, I hope that they dont kill them off... Or anyone for that matter.

Anyway, I think that in halo 6 the dream team will be.

Chief
Locke
Arby
Didact

Because
the attacks are not forerunner in origin.
Tale from my arse.

After years of waiting for blue teams return, I hope that they dont kill them off... Or anyone for that matter.

Chief
Locke
Arby
Didact

Because
Tale from my arse.

Didact is dead

Weird critique, but I wish the the Covenant wearing their 'space' suits had something like purple visors instead of gold.. I just kinda associate the gold visors with UNSC/Spartans in the Halo universe.

Isn't there a skull were you can hear all the rare grunt lines more often?

I WANT TO HEAR THEM ALL MY FIRST PLAY THROUGH DAMNIT.

jk.

OOO. STINKLES!!! - Will there be any secret side conversations like what ya'll did for Conan O-Brian? bwahahaha.

Mindwipe

You'd think this would quell some of the fear and negative speculation, but it won't. People need to be a little more patient, we just got a good chunk of info.

Well, the same was said about Theatre for Halo 4, and it turned out the "more" was "we've gutted it and didn't want to say until the last possible moment."

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Chief
Locke
Arby
Didact

Because
Tale from my arse.

Ur-Didact is nasty (Halo 4), Iso Didact a much nicer guy.

Didact is dead

See above.

That bolded suspicion almost never makes sense. Making games is expensive and time-consuming, and you may not like a decision, or its effects, regardless of what the game is, bit the bolded statement is almost never true. I'm sure it is sometimes, but rationally speaking, very, very rarely.

Our AI and encounters take place in a bigger sandbox than before, and I've talked about verticality a lot as it relates to player-controlled characters, but it's also true that path and route finding are now a bigger part of AI enemy behavior and so their abilities, techniques and weapons have been positioned, triggered and used with that in mind.

I am REALLY enjoying the way our AI bad guys fight, and when you use your squad properly, either with your own squad commands or your real friends online, you'll see scenarios play out in really interesting new ways that it's hard to judge through simple observation - you start to get a feel for it as early as the first mission.

Anyway I can't tell you that you should like it, but I suspect you'll get a different vibe from playing.

I have to say frankie, ive been critical of some of the things but overall, im still extremely excited for this game. Last time i wanted to play a halo game this much was halo2.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Forge is improved significantly and we'll talk about it more, closer to the game's launch.

Dying to see this. I was thinking a nice rethinking of how forge works would be that the objects you could place were generic shapes, cubes, cones, spheres, etc, that you then could stretch, shrink to fit your needs, greatly simplifying construction. Paint schemes then could be applied with the system determine what's a floor, wall, or ceiling and applying the appropriate texture (with the user being able to override as they please). Hence, how the breakout maps look. Linking and locking parts so that entire structures or levels could then also be moved, mirrored, and copied.

Chief
Locke
Arby
Didact

Because
Tale from my arse.

I thought in the opening cutscene Lasky said the attacks were forerunner in origin. So is there a theory that something else will be in Halo 5?

Top Bottom