• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Trup1aya

So let me get this straight, it's either 4v4 with no vehicles or the Blacklight: Retribution mode with added AI enemies?

People are cool with this?

Not exactly cool with it... There SHOULD be 4v4 with vehicles... I'm not sure why it was overlooked...

But This will do until BTB get here... The gameplay and balancing looks superb... As does the single player...

Frankly, despite the omissions, it's shaping up to be the most exciting game of the year for me...

Sojgat

Repeat what was said a million times: traditional BTB (Yes the one you are asking, 8v8 big maps with vehicles) is coming shortly after launch.

Do you know why the studio is called "343 Industries"?

Arena (4v4) and Warzone (12v12) at launch with BTB being added within the month of release (I think?) and then whatever the Forge masters can come up with.

i-m-cool-with-that.png

The Warzone system doesn't look to be anywhere as tedious as Blacklight: Retribution. I actually do like that game though. And the best arena maps in the past didn't have vehicles. Vehicles just take away from competitive balance, I'm glad they're gone.

Ok, that's probably all good then. So are they just holding BTB to get people to try Warzone?

Repeat what was said a million times: traditional BTB (Yes the one you are asking, 8v8 big maps with vehicles) is coming shortly after launch.

Do you know why the studio is called "343 Industries"?

Huh? Of course they are... 343i was created specifically to make Halo games...

Yes i am fully aware of that. It's just that i'd love to see this talented team working on something different. Also, but that's just me, i can understand that the developers could get tired of constantly working on Halo things. And developer names can change, look at Black Tusk > The Coalition. :)

matthieuC

I just can't really get behind breakout; maps are just too barebones for me. Though I can see the appeal for some.

Everything else looks great to me though. I just don't see how this game could be bad when the starts are equal and there are no perks. Now if the maps are good (I mean there's got to be plenty of good ones with the amount there are) than this game is going to be all I need this fall.

I really want some forge footage though!

I was avoiding this thread and other spoilers until 343 decided to let journalists post videos called "Taking down the kraken" with the clip showing a massive picture of the freakin' thing.

Did they really have to throw that spoiler at our faces? When I first faced a Scarab it was one of the craziest moments of my gaming life!

I love me some Halo, but this is ridiculous

Have they announced yet how many MP maps there will be at launch and if they are all playable in say...Team Slayer? That's the mode i probably will spend most time in again.

Slaent cross-post:

There are 20 maps + forge maps. There are meant to be 14 arena maps (all of which will be in Team Slayer) and we only know of 8 (Truth&Regret, Empire&Eden, Fathom, The Rig, Coliseum, Plaza). The remaining 6 must be made of: 4 remixes of maps we've already seen, and then one unrevealed arena map + its remix.

And for Warzone there are meant to be 6 maps and we only know of 4 (that E3 one, Snow, Raid on Apex 7, and city). So 2 left for this mode.

The studios name itself is derived from Halo, that's what they were made for. It would be cool to see what else they want to do I guess, but they do have other studios for that too.

I'm assuming (and hoping) after Halo Wars they are going to be making a stand alone story like ODST.

Trup1aya

Yes i am fully aware of that. It's just that i'd love to see this talented team working on something different. Also, but that's just me, i can understand that the developers could get tired of constantly working on Halo things. And developer names can change, look at Black Tusk > The Coalition. :)

I think when these guys took the job at 343 they knew they'd be making Halo exclusively... Could be why many of them took the job in the first place... So really this situation isn't comparable to developers languishing at a studio that only makes one game... This is what they signed up for.

shoreu

They can stop making mainline halo games for a bit

If they give me a Halo RPG

As long as they are sharing tech internally, another team might use the engine tech for other ips.

That's good they added an objective to Breakout. Shit needed something.

Doesn't seem to be much point atm. Just seeing people snag the BR and gun down the opposing team.

Someone should make a new thread for MP stuff coming out today and sunday.

Or just PM a mod for a title update.

Did they yet again make a bunch of overly designed helmets and didn't include Mk V? What the actual fuck...

Helmets mostly look fine to me. Not overdesigned at all, though of course I haven't done an exhaustive search of them yet. Somebody should take some screen to see if they can capture them all. At work atm, else I would do it.

Helmets mostly look fine to me. Not overdesigned at all, though of course I haven't done an exhaustive search of them yet. Somebody should take some screen to see if they can capture them all. At work atm, else I would do it.

I looked through the 175 helmets and not one of them is Mk. V, they certainly have some stinkers in there though. I know it's a silly thing to be salty about, but I don't understand how they left the most iconic helmet out once again.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

But how many developers were specifically made to carry on with a franchise?

It's kind of silly to be disappointed that 343 is going to be making more Halo games or feel sad that the developers might be bored making games for the same franchise. They knew what they were signing up for, no one is applying for 343 thinking they're going to be making a new IP.

Trup1aya

Doesn't seem to be much point atm. Just seeing people snag the BR and gun down the opposing team

The point of the flag in Breakout is to keep people from stalling for stalemates... It also creates a choke point, but I suspect that will change once people realize they can defend against flag captures while still utilizing the rest of the map.

I looked through the 175 helmets and not one of them is Mk. V, they certainly have some stinkers in there though. I know it's a silly thing to be salty about, but I don't understand how they left the most iconic helmet out once again.

They gotta save something for the next batch of Reqs so they can keep people coming back!

At 2:18 (at pretty much the end of the helmet scroll through) There are a few that look very similar to a Mk. V. You sure one of those isn't it?

Leyasu

Banned
I managed to watch a couple of vids. I love what I saw. I also love the glossy deep colour armours too. I hope to be able to buy the armour that I want on launch day as well.

I'll get stuck into the rest of those vids tonite when the kids are in bed.

I saw people talking about the playlists. In all honesty, I dont think that having a cut down playlist is a bad thing. They rotate in some niche ones from time to time though..

Hyped as fuck for the full game

blakep267

Slaent cross-post:

There are 20 maps + forge maps. There are meant to be 14 arena maps (all of which will be in Team Slayer) and we only know of 8 (Truth&Regret, Empire&Eden, Fathom, The Rig, Coliseum, Plaza). The remaining 6 must be made of: 4 remixes of maps we've already seen, and then one unrevealed arena map + its remix.

And for Warzone there are meant to be 6 maps and we only know of 4 (that E3 one, Snow, Raid on Apex 7, and city). So 2 left for this mode.

Wouldn't the breakout maps be included in that 14 "arena" Map list. And I think there are 4 of those

Wouldn't the breakout maps be included in that 14 "arena" Map list. And I think there are 4 of those

right. I think we're looking at 10 4v4 Slayer/Obj maps, 4 Breakout maps, and 6 Warzone maps. Plus the Forge maps. Then there's the BTB maps, along with the other maps coming for free up until June.

Trup1aya

Something I haven't been able to figure out yet... During this preview session, did journalist get to play ALL of the arena maps?

I can't imagine that vehicles would be out of 4v4 arena altogether... I'm holding out hope that we just haven't seen everything yet...

It's not a deal killer, and what I've seen looks great... But I'm not much of a BTB guy (there's usually too little teamwork) but I still what my 4v4 vehicle fix... Especially in objective game modes...

Slaent cross-post:

So, in fact, there are only 7 "original" maps for Arena? Remixes can't be count as "new maps". It's far less impressive than the 14 maps they announced months ago...

Trup1aya

[Call-Me-G];179917126 said:
So, in fact, there are only 7 "original" maps for Arena? Remixes can't be count as "new maps". It's far less impressive than the 14 maps they announced months ago...

Why can't remixes count? Look at "Truth" and it's remix "Regret"... They play like two completely different maps... The difference is night and day...

Why can't remixes count? Look at "Truth" and it's remix "Regret"... They play like two completely different maps... The difference is night and day...

Yeah, I know what you mean, I played on them during the BETA, but... it's just a remix. Of course, free DLC will come later, but if 50% of these DLC are remixes, would you be happy?

If a remix is 'night and day different' from its source, then what is the problem? The word 'remix'?

I'd also suspect that objective stuff can easily be slotted into the Arena maps (Oddball, KOTH etc on top of CTH and Strongolds) and perhaps the BTB maps will offer 6v6 kinda stuff too.

We shall see.

Slaent cross-post:

Too bad about remixes, i'd rather have the remaining maps be new ones as well. But hey, we get free maps until June next year, right? So that's awesome. All in all it sounds like we'll get a ton of content for the MP too. Lovely.

The Arena maps are desperately lacking visual variety. Why is that same UNSC architecture on nearly all of them?

So, how many maps does the game ship with? I just have yet to see any standout maps for arena.

Trup1aya

[Call-Me-G];179917516 said:
Yeah, I know what you mean, I played on them during the BETA, but... it's just a remix. Of course, free DLC will come later, but if 50% of these DLC are remixes, would you be happy?

Lol what do you mean "just a remix"... It's a completely different map, with a common theme...

They differ in terms of visuals, layouts, and weaponry...

If they didn't call them Remix you wouldn't even know they were related... You are arguing semantics...

matthieuC

Lol what do you mean "just a remix"... It's a completely different map, with a common theme...

They differ in terms of visuals, layouts, and weaponry...

If they didn't call them Remix you wouldn't even know they were related... You are arguing semantics...
Yeah Eden and Empire are night and day.

OEM

Only 1 month left and lack of proper trailer sucks.

And this Arena embargo was dumb, dont see anything new. Everything we already knew and saw. Which is not a bad thing but the way everyone was hyping about new info. Meh.

I just want to play the game now.

Trup1aya

The Arena maps are desperately lacking visual variety. Why is that same UNSC architecture on nearly all of them?

So, how many maps does the game ship with? I just have yet to see any standout maps for arena.

Really? visually, the maps look pretty varied IMO... We've got some UNSC themes, some urban themes, Covenant Themes, and Forerunner Themes...

[Call-Me-G];179906269 said:
From a guy in another forum (thanks to him)

Plaza

h5-guardians-arena-plaza-around-the-bend-a395dd93e3f64ae9b27648afb1215a12.jpg

h5-guardians-arena-plaza-confrontation-c90b5538d43e4171ac34de1ca0ad6452.jpg

The Rig

h5-guardians-arena-establishing-the-rig-open-platform-66b6538a462444a8a5ddee732c70e59f.jpg

h5-guardians-arena-the-rig-suppressive-fire-0c0b8c5197c948a884da3c449c9104b0.jpg

Coliseum

h5-guardians-arena-establishing-coliseum-high-view-e30ba4e30c4c40f2b2f92b05472860a0.jpg

h5-guardians-arena-establishing-coliseum-red-ridge-2536e737341e437a94fcf3f803a2bc79.jpg

Truth

Halo-5-Guardians-Truth-1.jpg

H5-MP-Beta-Establishing-Truth-Charts-jpg.jpg

Eden

h5-guardians-arena-establishing-eden-split-level-b7fc157cb35a4d87a085c5cfd3d3d615.jpg

h5-guardians-arena-eden-back-court-game-970b42bb0e79470e82d7639bbbc0ce89.jpg

Regret

h5-mp-beta-establishing-regret-lockbox-1e3894551a4d42db8a58007a53b0e50b.jpg

Empire

Halo-5-Guardians-Multiplayer-Beta-Empire-Establishing-Central-Command.0.jpg

Halo-5-Guardians-Beta-Empire.jpg

Fathom

07.jpg

Breakout

Halo-5-Guardians-Multiplayer-Beta-Crossfire-Breakout-Establishing-Playground.jpg

Escape from A.R.C.

h5-guardians-establishing-warzone-arc-blast-zone-a0cd5cc4332b4ccd867f1de556475bee.jpg

h5-guardians-establishing-warzone-arc-cave-stories-3b13d0afdf304a5c938ba05f65b83d2a.jpg

March on Stormbreak

h5-guardians-warzone-establishing-stormbreak-mountain-99673d9a87f440c2a5ed074f082db2f0.jpg

h5-guardians-warzone-stormbreak-command-and-control-5c6cc36a4fbf4538ad352b52f6db42b0.jpg

Raid to APEX

Halo-5-Guardians-Raid-on-Apex-7-Screenshot-12.jpg

Halo-5-Guardians-Raid-on-Apex-7-Screenshot-5.jpg

An another Warzone Urban map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnwFs2172nk&feature=youtu.be&t=23

Top Bottom