• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Blueblur1

I really wish there were more variety in 343's maps as well. I feel like I'm often looking at a different section of the same map.

First time I've seen nostalgia for trash maps like Isolation, Backwash, Sandtrap, and Assembly

Map, Halo 3 had like, what, 3 good maps? The Pit, Valhalla, and Guardian, on top of being slow as hell with a trash BR.

I really wish there were more variety in 343's maps as well. I feel like I'm often looking at a different section of the same map.

I dont even click on Arena videos anymore because of this. Its like im watching the same thing happening at the same place all the time. Im already bored of watching the videos so doesn't bode well for the maps.

First time I've seen nostalgia for trash maps like Isolation, Backwash, Sandtrap, and Assembly

Map, Halo 3 had like, what, 3 good maps? The Pit, Valhalla, and Guardian, on top of being slow as hell with a trash BR.

I'm referring to the settings of these "trash" maps, not how they played.

matthieuC

So I guess we aren't getting any classic remakes? I don't mind either way but I think this would be the first halo without a throwback map.

I hated most of those maps. Construct KOTH was fun in the MLG playlist, couldn't stand the map in vanilla Halo 3 though.

So I guess we aren't getting any classic remakes? I don't mind either way but I think this would be the first halo without a throwback map.

Only if they look like youre in a human industrial setting cause, thats what they all look like now. Wouldn't wanna change things too much now. :p

For real. I like unique settings like Narrows, Isolation, Lockout, Ivory Tower, Terminal, Waterworks, Assembly, Backwash, Sandtrap etc.

Dang, now that I think about it there were some great maps in that game. Maybe they are actually taking the "Arena feel" too far, making maps literally these similar arenas rather than some asymmetrical layouts

Dynasty8

For real. I like unique settings like Narrows, Isolation, Lockout, Ivory Tower, Terminal, Waterworks, Assembly, Backwash, Sandtrap etc.

I agree. I think older Halo games did map variety better. Specifically Halo 3...each map looked completely different. Snow, Desert, Jungle, Factory, Canyon, Highway, Island, Human, Covenant, Forerunner and more.

I personally loved Halo 4, but I admit it was missing some of those.

Frankie can we have remakes of the following maps.

Orbital
Cragmire
Backwash
Snowbound
Complex

If you do not reply within 24 hours, I will assume full production has been green lighted.

I might have some odd taste when it comes to maps. I loved Standoff and apparently that map is pretty hated. Citadel was a fantastic addition as well as Rat's Nest.
Don't forget Narrows and Construct.
Narrows and Construct were far from bad maps. In comparison look at Orbital lol.

Elzar be rollin' and trollin'!

As for map variety, I think it's easy to overemphasise the human similarities: Plaza and The Rig are both human, but they're not the same. Yeah, there's a weight towards human aesthetic in the arena maps, and potentially in the Warzone maps too, so hopefully the DLC expands the feel. A Sangelios map might be cool.

Dynasty8

I'm referring to the settings of these "trash" maps, not how they played.

Imagine a Forge setting that allows you to change the background, weather effects, and add specific designs, logos, images on platforms and walls. I can already see the community going crazy with their designs.

Imagine a Forge setting that allows you to change the background, weather effects, and add specific designs, logos, images on platforms and walls. I can already see the community going crazy with their designs.

I'd never play normal game modes again. I'd just be a cartographer. Unghhh.

I wouldnt get too ahead of myself in regards to forge.

I didn't see one map so far that had any kind of weather effect even though people asked for this since forge was first announced. Forge will be more of the same.

Edit: Th fact that they haven't said a word yet about yet honestly worries me. Theres no reason to still not have any information on forge at this point. Im not getting excited at all about it.

Frankie can we have remakes of the following maps.

Orbital
Cragmire
Backwash
Snowbound
Complex

If you do not reply within 24 hours, I will assume full production has been green lighted.
fNEIlEV.gif

pieface

I'm really not a fan of the arena multiplayer art direction. Think it all looks so bland.

However, gameplay looks great!

Yeah, all the arena maps I've seen so far look so samey. How about instead of adding space whales in Fathom, we get a map inside a space whale. I want ambergris.

Bolded the part that indicates, to me, you did not participate in the beta or played any of the remixed maps.

Did you see the Sprint episode that detailed how those remixes are created? A lot of work and thought are put into them. I feel as if you are already pushing these maps off because of a few video segments and screenshots from this thread.

The only one that felt a little bit of the same when playing is empire/eden. so i feel your pain with those two maps. The others are just fantastic.

Dynasty8

I wouldnt get too ahead of myself in regards to forge.

i didn't see one map so far that had any kind of weather effect even though people asked for this since forge was first announced. Forge will be more of the same.

Yeah, I'm expecting it to be more of the same. I've been wanting those forge features since Halo Reach.

I just hope most of the 30 maps we'll be getting won't be remixes/forge made.

Trup1aya

Elzar be rollin' and trollin'!

As for map variety, I think it's easy to overemphasise the human similarities: Plaza and The Rig are both human, but they're not the same. Yeah, there's a weight towards human aesthetic in the arena maps, and potentially in the Warzone maps too, so hopefully the DLC expands the feel. A Sangelios map might be cool.

I'm with you on this... The maps dont look or feel so similar to me... Yes there are quite a few maps in human settings, but even then there are architectural differences. Then we have forerunner and covenant maps as well...

I'd like to see some Sanghelios myself.. How about visiting the homeworlds of some of the other covenant species?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Halo 2 really had the better maps all around.

Yeah, I'm expecting it to be more of the same. I've been wanting those forge features since Halo Reach.

Ya and why dont we have any info on it at this point? Like nada. This worries me when the game is about to be released and we yet know about every other part of the game but forge. Im getting a bad feeling about it.

Zeta Oni

Hasn't this been said to be false several times now?

I understand having realistic expectations or hell, even being cynical, but when one of the people actually working on the game has said that forge has been improved, I dont see why people keep saying this?

Hasn't this been said to be false several times now?

I understand having realistic expectations or hell, even being cynical, but when one of the people actually working on the game has said that forge has been improved, I dont see why people keep saying this?

Improved could mean making blocks easier to align together. its an improvement. Doesnt mean its a complete overhaul, which i do not expect it to be.

Zeta Oni

Improved could mean making blocks easier to align together. its an improvement. Doesnt mean its a complete overhaul, which i do not expect it to be.

Why would people be expecting a complete overhaul?

Give me better scripting, easier alignment, maybe some preset filters here and there and ill be pretty satisfied.

Really, the only thing I think "HUGE" they could really do is add terrain editing and maybe AI, and realistically speaking I dont see that happening.

Top Bottom