• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Only 1 month left and lack of proper trailer sucks.

And this Arena embargo was dumb, dont see anything new. Everything we already knew and saw. Which is not a bad thing but the way everyone was hyping about new info. Meh.

I just want to play the game now.

Plenty of trailers though, opening cinematic, blue team cinematic, tons of gameplay, they choose to release actual information that benefits to player choices instead of vertical slices.

Also pretty sure full gameplay on new maps is very big deal, we get to see complete picture of changes since beta/E3.
[Call-Me-G];179919772 said:
This... Truth and Regret why not... but Eden and Empire are quite the same at a different time of day.
The flow of Eden and Empire are very very different.

Computer

I was hoping that we would see some unannounced maps today. Looks like nothing new. Still hoping for a few classic map remakes.

[Call-Me-G];179920042 said:
So, you guys are prefering remixes than original and brand new maps? Ok.

We are not "prefering" anything, we are just simply stating that the "remixes" are different enough to warrant being standalone map entries.

Trup1aya

This... Truth and Regret why not... but Eden and Empire are quite the same at a different time of day

Fair enough. how about we wait until we can see the rest of the remixed maps before we pass judgement on them.

Hopefully it's more Truth/regret than empire/eden.

That's not to say Eden and Empire played anything alike... Because they didn't ... The time of day is certainly not the only change made.

It's not "prefer," it's just "not totally discounting." The remixes, despite their names, play pretty damn differently. I'm okay with getting them, and consider them basically equal to a new map. I would not, for instance, trade all 7 remixes for a smaller number of original maps, which is the equation we're looking at here..

OEM

Plenty of trailers though, opening cinematic, blue team cinematic, tons of gameplay, they choose to release actual information that benefits to player choices instead of vertical slices.

Also pretty sure full gameplay on new maps is very big deal, we get to see complete picture of changes since beta/E3.

Nothing gets you more hype than the Halo trailer itself. Seriously. Opening cinematic is cool and all. But Halo Trailer and ViDoc is what gets most people going. They need to start pushing out TV ads amd trailers like now.

Nothing gets you more hype than the Halo trailer itself. Seriously. Opening cinematic is cool and all. But Halo Trailer and ViDoc is what gets most people going. They need to start pushing out TV ads amd trailers like now.

its over a month from release...

cool ya jets

Zeta Oni

I dont get the hate for the "remix" maps. They all played different to me. I dont remember Regret looking and playing like Truth.

I think people hear the term "remix" and assume its a lazy cut and paste version of the same map with small variations, which is false. Not only that, but I guess they think that if none of these "remix" maps were made, we would be getting more original maps, which is also false.

I dont get the hate for the "remix" maps. They all played different to me. I dont remember Regret looking and playing like Truth.

I don't hate them at all. I'm just saying that I'd rather have 14 totally brand new maps than 7 maps and 7 remixes. That's all. And I don't understand why all of you are not affected at all by this new "remix trend".

I'm expecting another series of The Sprint some time near the launch.

Trup1aya

[Call-Me-G];179921119 said:
I don't hate them at all. I'm just saying that I'd rather have 14 totally brand new maps than 7 maps and 7 remixes. That's all. And I don't understand why all of you are not affected at all by this new "remix trend".

It's your implication that a remix is something less than a map... Yes the remixes share visual queues... But a map is more than its aesthetics... It's the actual positioning of the geometry, the sight lines, the jumps, the choke points, the weapons placement etc, that act as a maps DNA...

these maps PLAY completely differently, you shouldn't be discrediting them simply because they share some assets...

VinFTW

Because they play completely different. How hard is it for you to understand that? lol

Okay, see, here's the problem: your options are not "7/7 or 14." Your options are 7/7 or some undetermined number less than 14 and bigger than 7. A remix plays differently than the original, but takes less time and effort to make. Thus we get more of them. So long as it's not excessive and the remixes are good... I'll take the larger map pool, tyvm.

Because they play completely different. How hard is it for you to understand that? lol

So, if you have the choice between 14 excellent, well designed, totally different shaped maps or 7 excellent, well designed, totally different shaped maps, and their 7 remixes, you'll chose the second choice?

Good. I understand.

[Call-Me-G];179922814 said:
So, if you have the choice between 14 excellent, well designed, totally different shaped maps or 7 excellent, well designed, totally different shaped maps, and their 7 remixes, you'll chose the second choice?

Good. I understand.

I think you totally missed what he said.

Edit: ah, you quoted the wrong guy at first. Still I think Vin isn't saying he wouldn't prefer 14 unique maps, he's just saying the remixes don't bug him, probably for the reason poodle stated.

I think you totally missed what he said.

I did not quote the good one :)

Okay, see, here's the problem: your options are not "7/7 or 14." Your options are 7/7 or some undetermined number less than 14 and bigger than 7. A remix plays differently than the original, but takes less time and effort to make. Thus we get more of them. So long as it's not excessive and the remixes are good... I'll take the larger map pool, tyvm.

Why should I have a choice to make? Designing 14 completely different maps takes more time and effort, I'm okay with that. But I'm allowed to prefer having 14 completely different maps than 7 maps and 7 remixes (as good as they can be!). No? When, back in "I don't know when" they said "There will be 14 maps at launch", every one hoped that there will be 14 completely different maps. That's not the case.

Maybe, most of you don't care about that, but this is not my case. And now, we can go back to a normal discussion.

Good. I understand.

Uh...

No.

What I said was that if I have the pick between 7 excellent, well designed, totally different shaped maps and their 7 excellent, well designed remixes (current status quo until proven otherwise), and less than 14 excellent, well designed, totally differently shaped maps, I'll pick the former.

Because those are the options.

Because making 14 completely unique maps take more time and resources than 7 maps + 7 different "remixes"? Games do not come out of vaccum, fellas.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I do wish there was a bit more old style in the maps. Bungie's maps always had pretty different architecture based on what was in the map for setting. Most of 343's are good maps, but they feature the same UNSC base building blocks and rounded corners in everything. Where's my giant wheel from Zanzibar, where's the big base from relic, etc.

It seemed with Bungie Halo each map had its own theme, and its own geometry. Some re-used parts here and there, but largely new items including some big iconic features on each map.

Looking forward to playing all the Halo 5 maps though.

I do wish there was a bit more old style in the maps. Bungie's maps always had pretty different architecture based on what was in the map for setting. Most of 343's are good maps, but they feature the same UNSC base building blocks and rounded corners in everything. Where's my giant wheel from Zanzibar, where's the big base from relic, etc.

It seemed with Bungie Halo each map had its own theme, and its own geometry. Some re-used parts here and there, but largely new items including some big iconic features on each map.

Looking forward to playing all the Halo 5 maps though.

This is how I feel. Arena maps are looking pretty bland with a couple of exceptions. Bungie's maps always looked very different stylistically. Warzone seems to be a little more varied though.

JaggedSac

They were done for resource and asset reuse. So without remixes you would get maybe 10 maps, with remixes you get 14. So yeah, remixes are a good thing.

I really hope that we're getting some more unique maps for Arena, pretty much every map has been the inside of a factory or at least looks like one. Maybe they don't want to spoil environments borrowed from the campaign, but still.

I feel like they had a big function over form theme. They took all that criticisms for making maps like that one with the big robot in the middle sucking up all the sightlines, or just being too sparse, or just too dark like Abandon. Like they sat down and thought, "OK, pros REALLY like Midship, Lockout, and The Pit. How do we make every single Arena map into that?"

Any footage of someone good playing?

Right here

Glass

I really hope that we're getting some more unique maps for Arena, pretty much every map has been the inside of a factory or at least looks like one. Maybe they don't want to spoil environments borrowed from the campaign, but still.

My sentiments too. Warzone maps look like a breathe of fresh air compared to the endless cycle of metal walls in Arena.

Leyasu

Banned
Perhaps they dont have time to make countless maps... Having remixes gives them the opportunity create more just using one as the template.

I'm fine with it.

The emblems are very disappointing too, all pre-baked that you can't customize (other than color) and they don't show up on armor. I've been rocking the red cross since Halo 2 and now it's gone. :/

The Railgun replacing the plasma caster is a good change on Fathom. That's a good power weapon.

The emblems are very disappointing too, all pre-baked that you can't customize (other than color) and they don't show up on armor. I've been rocking the red cross since Halo 2 and now it's gone. :/

is Ninja there? I need to know

Tunavi

Banned

Good. I understand.
hahaha if you think they could make 14 "excellent well designed' maps you're lying to yourself

What? They all play quite different and have similar yet individual aesthetic. We are also getting a shut ton of maps. This is a good thing.

Defect

Yeah, all the arena maps I've seen so far look so samey. How about instead of adding space whales in Fathom, we get a map inside a space whale. I want ambergris.

LordOfChaos

You're forgeting the best Halo on X360 imo: Halo Reach.

There are 5 Halo games on X360 with Halo Wars.

...What's wrong with me?!

Hah, good catch. So 5 on 360, 4 only counting FPS. 2 mainline Master Chief stories.

I wonder if we can hope for anything close on XBO. In addition to Wars 2 and Halo 5, at least another offshoot story maybe, optimistically another mainline series game as well as the offshoot story.

Dynasty8

I'm glad it's changed. Halo's been using the same emblem system since Halo 2. I stopped caring after Reach. I think they look awesome judging from the videos...and we haven't seen all of them yet.

Also, we still have a month to go before he game launches...so that means Launch trailer(s), hunt the truth season 2, the third Sprint series, unveiling Forge, warzone footage this Sunday, and much more. Everything is on a schedule. Chill.

Top Bottom