• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Why would people be expecting a complete overhaul?

Give me better scripting, easier alignment, maybe some preset filters here and there and ill be pretty satisfied.

Really, the only thing I think "HUGE" they could really do is add terrain editing and maybe AI, and realistically speaking I dont see that happening.

But that's what im saying. We've been wanting some more freedom for Forge for a long time, like weather for example. But if weather would be an upcoming forge feature, you would also see it in the vanilla maps and i haven't seen one map yet with any kind of weather effects. Im very realistic now when it comes to forge. Hell, just having the user be able to pick the time of year would be amazing, snow, summer, desert, etc. But thats me expecting too much as usual.

I'm very sad to see that the Mark V armour and helmet will not appear on Halo 5
at least on the first wave, hopefully they will add them later on a future REQ update
Oh hey it looks like my account has been finally approved! :D (thank you GAF mods)
Hello GAF I'm very happy to be part of this family :)

I'm very sad to see that the Mark V armour and helmet will not appear on Halo 5
at least on the first wave, hopefully they will add them later on a future REQ update
Oh hey it looks like my account has been finally approved! :D (thank you GAF mods)
Hello GAF I'm very happy to be part of this family :)

Welcome and good timing for a Halo fan. Shit's about to get intense....like camping. Wait, that doesn't work when you write it.

Quick question...is Mark V anywhere to be seen?

It's not in Halo 5, but this ugly ass defender helmet made a return.

defender.png

Side note: Security is back too, it looks like the Reach version rather than Halo 3. I'll probably wear Hell Jumper or something, most of the helmets seem bad, Fred and Vale also have cool helmets.

Zeta Oni

But that's what im saying. We've been wanting some more freedom for Forge for a long time, like weather for example. But if weather would be an upcoming forge feature, you would also see it in the vanilla maps and i haven't seen one map yet with any kind of weather effects. Im very realistic now when it comes to forge.

I dont disagree that weather effects and things along those lines would be pleasant to see, but im hesitant to say its gonna be more of the same just because its a month out with no details. To each their own, I suppose.

Could be a case of them just not wanting to show it off yet.

I dont disagree that weather effects and things along those lines would be pleasant to see, but im hesitant to say its gonna be more of the same just because its a month out with no details. To each their own, I suppose.

Could be a case of them just not wanting to show it off yet.

But what would be the point of that? We already know all the other features of the game. And looking at the map designs for arena that all look the same...... lets just say that my expectations are very low. I hope im wrong.

edit: I wouldn't even be surprised if they said Forge wont be ready for launch.

RoKKeR

in our hopes and dreams friend

defender.png

Side note: Security is back too, it looks like the Reach version rather than Halo 3. I'll probably wear Hell Jumper or something, most of the helmets seem bad, Fred and Vale also have cool helmets.
So you're telling me, 175 helmets and not ONE spot can be given to the GOAT helmet?

343, it can't be that hard! Man that is a bummer.

Dynasty8

There's still 30+ days till launch. I'm okay with Forge being shown 2 weeks from now.

I believe Frankie said it's based on a schedule. This is the smart way of marketing an enormous game like Halo 5...there's a lot of content and to maintain the hype/relevancy, you don't want to showcase everything in a single day or two.

They've obviously scheduled everything accordingly.

When to release the next TV spot, the next launch trailer, the next Hunt the Truth, the next Sprint videos, the next unveiling of Warzone, Forge, and many more. 30 days is a lot of time.

-Ryn

Banned

defender.png

*sigh*

Welp... at least the gameplay is cool.

Raide

I want to see Forge get a complete overhaul. (Probably won't happen but I live in hope every time they announce a Halo game)

Drop the stupid flying around as a wannabe Guilty Spark. Its just pointless noise. Let us get around Forge without having to bump into things or get trapped under things.

Get some terrain editing in there and some texture manipulation. Farcry has been doing this for years. Drop the Forge Lego for Dummies ethos. Give us tools.

Add a load of prefab items beyond the same few boxes and towers we have seen for years. Need to decorate maps with more than just cones and rocks.

Weather and time of day effects. I want to be able to add weather at different times etc. Snow would be cool if it built up over a match but I doubt they have gone to those lengths.

Overhaul the scripting. Stop hiding cool ideas behind dumb design choices. Give people tools to make what they want. Having to fake opening doors and messing with switch states is just embarrassing.

If you are going to make ForgeWorld, at least give us the option of a variety of nice square/oblong boxes made of sand/snow/grass etc, so we don't have to fight the crazy-ass terrain you put into ForgeWorld. Just do the Terrain Editing stuff and make people happy.

I want to see Forge get a complete overhaul. (Probably won't happen but I live in hope every time they announce a Halo game)

Drop the stupid flying around as a wannabe Guilty Spark. Its just pointless noise. Let us get around Forge without having to bump into things or get trapped under things.

Get some terrain editing in there and some texture manipulation. Farcry has been doing this for years. Drop the Forge Lego for Dummies ethos. Give us tools.

Add a load of prefab items beyond the same few boxes and towers we have seen for years. Need to decorate maps with more than just cones and rocks.

Weather and time of day effects. I want to be able to add weather at different times etc. Snow would be cool if it built up over a match but I doubt they have gone to those lengths.

Overhaul the scripting. Stop hiding cool ideas behind dumb design choices. Give people tools to make what they want. Having to fake opening doors and messing with switch states is just embarrassing.

If you are going to make ForgeWorld, at least give us the option of a variety of nice square/oblong boxes made of sand/snow/grass etc, so we don't have to fight the crazy-ass terrain you put into ForgeWorld. Just do the Terrain Editing stuff and make people happy.

At that point, why not just use a windows10 "app" to make maps and then upload them to the game. Id honestly rather have something like that.

Raide

At that point, why not just use a windows10 "app" to make maps and then upload them to the game. Id honestly rather have something like that.

Yep, that's what they should really do. Just PC tools and let Forgers upload to Xbox One test environments and when they are do ne, they can be uploaded.

I really wish there were more variety in 343's maps as well. I feel like I'm often looking at a different section of the same map.

That's my biggest issue, they don't look diverse enough, going through a video that shows sections of all maps I don't usually know where one starts and another begins.

I'm not sure if this has already been answered earlier in this thread or another, but is there an option to toggle the white lines that appear on the side of the screen when you run on/off? They are so distracting.

xboxnerd

Banned
So you're telling me, 175 helmets and not ONE spot can be given to the GOAT helmet?

343, it can't be that hard! Man that is a bummer.

Guys, 343 said that there will be 1000+ reqs at launch. Do some math and you will understand there are still plenty of spots for the Mark V. Preview build is not a full game.

If it still isn't there one month later? Classic DLC for $4.99 maybe...

Zeta Oni

To be honest, this is what I think they are doing, and why I believe they haven't shown it off yet. Not only that, but I also think it won't be available until the W10 xbox one update in november, which is another reason nothing has been shown.

One can only dream though..

I am not that upset about vehicles not being in the 4v4 maps. I am sure they will come with the free map packs after launch. Max from Certain Affinity has stated that the dlc maps were really not meant for competitive play so i imagine any new maps will be for fun with maybe 1 or 2 being for the esports scene.

That game trailers video was just 4 guys stating their preference. To me Halo was always about competing. The rank system and the best 4v4 maps made that to me.

To be honest, this is what I think they are doing, and why I believe they haven't shown it off yet. Not only that, but I also think it won't be available until the W10 xbox one update in november, which is another reason nothing has been shown.

One can only dream though..

Man, stop getting me excited! Ill just be disappointed again!!

https://youtu.be/-vazC28pkcg

Played the Halo 5 multiplayer demo at EGX and was really impressed. I've been a Halo fan since the first and spent thousands of hours on Halo 2 multiplayer but the beta really soured me. It wasn't fun, the parkour stuff felt dodgy and it really did feel like a 10 year old multiplayer game.

Cut to yesterday playing the demo and my thoughts have totally changed. The new multiplayer mode works brilliantly. Its a bit like Titanfall now with objectives in the multiplayer that can help your team. Go and take on AI characters who are pretty tough and not cannon fodder or tackle other objectives. Theres no worry about the power weapons either as you can drop in your weapons of choice once you have enough points to get one. Like Titanfall you can help your team without needing to be super skillful or facing the opposition.

The game looked great, the map weas huge without feeling empty and was a joy to play.

defender.png

I hope the majority of the Halo 4 helmets got reworked visually.

Because good god, they were all such a massive step-down from the fantastic helmets in Reach.

singhr1

Was the digital foundry video discussed?

Only a handful of drops in any of the footage they captured. Looks pretty dang smooth.

Just saw it. Butter. I agree about the texture filtering being lackluster but that PBR gives it great IQ, very beautiful in motion.

Hulud

I wonder why so many console games have to sacrifice texture filtering. It's the cheapest toggle in every PC game I've played. Oh well, IDGAF. H5 needs to release early.

Honestly... I wouldn't be surprised if something like this was in the works... Actually I'd be more surprised if it wasn't...

I wouldn't be. They started working on this game a long time ago, i don't think a windows 10 map editor was necessarily in the discussion back then.

Top Bottom