• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Halo CE has the fastest kill times by far in any Halo game. Since this is the case, the Halo CE pistol kill time have been clocked in at about 0.6 seconds. Halo 5 kill times with the Pistol and other "skill" weapons have been clocked in at about 1.2 seconds or more. So you are essentially making the game slower because it takes longer to kill people.

Then you add the movement speeds, which make the player feel faster. But add the fact that sprint makes it so you can easily run away + the increased kill times, and you have a game that actually plays slower because the gun battles last way to long.

This game does not play slow. Plays fast but you feel like you actually have control and impact when it plays fast. You can react and get out of danger not like in a cod game.

Ein Bear

Awesome new assassination.

y56rO7.gif

This is amazing.

Are the unlockable 'stances' the pose your Spartan pulls in the pre/post game videos? I hope those hilarious bro animations from the beta are unlockable. I want my Spartan to be the goofiest knobhead in the galaxy.

Vico

This is amazing.

Are the unlockable 'stances' the pose your Spartan pulls in the pre/post game videos? I hope those hilarious bro animations from the beta are unlockable. I want my Spartan to be the goofiest knobhead in the galaxy.

Nope, stances are for the menus, when you or another player looks at your ingame profile.

Not faster than CE based on what comparisons? 2v2 to 50 kills in CE can be painfully slow a lot of the time (Note: I've always wanted CE 2v2's to be 25 or 30 kills because it can feel too much like an endurance test). 4v4 in CE might seem really fast, but that's because they're played on maps better designed for 2v2's. So while yes, CE may be faster than the other Halo games, it still isn't doing laps around Halo 5.

In fact, Halo 5 might even be faster than CE, but with motion tracker it's less debatable, especially at higher levels of play.

RSB

Banned
So you listed two things that are new to the franchise in universal cosmetic ADS and clamber, one continuing from H4 in sprint (this time with added balance) and finally the bolded: what is so drastic about having the motion tracker? It has been in every Halo since forever. And what is the etc. for exactly? How much more have they "broken" in this iteration of Halo?
Nothing drastic about it, it's just something I've never liked in Halo MP. I know the game would play much better without it, and I don't care if it's been there since the beginning, I'm still against its inclusion. Again, it's not about shitting on the new additions, I'm just pointing out the gameplay elements I consider detrimental to the game, even if they've been there since day 1.

And about how much have they broken in this new iteration of Halo, IDK (we'll see when the game launches) but many problems have been solved since the beta (the slow strafe speed, the slow scope animation for the sniper, the ridiculous spread reduction on the SMG when scoped, the awful scope on the DMR, etc) so that's good.

There are certain things I'm never gonna like in Halo, like Clamber (as it diminishes the role of crouch jumping almost completely) cosmetic ADS (the classic zoom is much more elegant and less visually intrusive) sprint (I prefer to be able to move at max speed without losing my ability to shoot) or the motion tracker (Halo just plays better without it) but still, that doesn't mean I won't enjoy the game when it comes out. In fact, there's never been a perfect Halo game (there's always stuff I dislike about all of them) but I've always liked them to some degree.

Nothing drastic about it, it's just something I've never liked in Halo MP. I know the game would play much better without it, and I don't care if it's been there since the beginning, I'm still against its inclusion. Again, it's not about shitting on the new additions, I'm just pointing out the gameplay elements I consider detrimental to the game, even if they've been there since day 1.

And about how much have they broken in this new iteration of Halo, IDK , but many problems have been solved since the beta (the slow strafe speed, the slow scope animation for the sniper, the ridiculous spread reduction on the SMG when scoped, the awful scope on the DMR, etc) so that's good.

There are certain things I'm never gonna like in Halo, like Clamber (as it diminishes the role of crouch jumping almost completely) cosmetic ADS (the classic zoom is much more elegant and less visually intrusive) sprint (I prefer to be able to move at max speed without losing my ability to shoot) or the motion tracker (Halo just plays better without it) but still, that doesn't mean I won't enjoy the game when it comes out. In fact, there's never been a perfect Halo game (there's always stuff I dislike about all of them) but I've always liked them to some degree.

Good post.

Beowulf28

I'm sure its already been mentioned before but its some straight up bullshit that 343 removed the blood from Halo. Watching the Hunter fight was a real bummer, like I don't even really understand the thought process there. Are they trying to go for 10 year olds with this T rating stuff?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
No one but the book readers would have understood the lights and hand gestures unless you read the books. Maybe they are becoming more social as they age. Fred is pretty normal in Last Light so far unlike Fall of Reach John's awkward ass.

Yep. Game has to think for you.

Showing the differences between the two teams where one is so on the same level they can be effective without even speaking vs the newer team blustering, having miscommunications, and failing objectives because they're too slow would be too up there for Halo these days.

People would never be able to understand that.

Showing the differences between the two teams where one is so on the same level they can be effective without even speaking vs the newer team blustering, having miscommunications, and failing objectives because they're too slow would be too up there for Halo these days.

It's not a "game has to think for you" thing, the gestures and the lights just wouldn't work as well in a visual medium unless you get reaaaaaaal particular with the camera to call attention to them. I'm hoping we get some of it, but having them talk more is a necessary change for the new medium, IMO.

They still present a notable contrast to the chatty, bantery, unhelmeted Osiris.

This is the most action-packed campaign footage I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MrClWBkKEI

Its seems like the new play-style favors a far more aggressive approach with your abilities akin to something like Crysis. Comparing this footage to a section of a previous game like the end of Halo 3's Sierra 117 is pretty stark. You would get annihilated just running and gunning for the most part like this without planning your approach.

I'm sure its already been mentioned before but its some straight up bullshit that 343 removed the blood from Halo. Watching the Hunter fight was a real bummer, like I don't even really understand the thought process there. Are they trying to go for 10 year olds with this T rating stuff?

There is still blood I think its just turned off in that section or something.

Dynasty8

Motion tracker ruins gameplay. The best compromise would be to change it to sound-based radar (people only appear when they shoot).

All Halo games have had it. I see your point and I'd love to play some games without the motion tracker, but I'm sure removing it altogether isn't what the majority wants. Most people would go crazy if that happened.

We are in the minority...but at least we have Breakout mode (no radar or motion trackers).

I can't believe some "concerned" people think this looks just like Halo 4. This is light years beyond and the 60 FPS is a godsend.

It definitely looks better but its in no way a major step up.

that was pretty damn great, no idea what peeps were talking about saying the gfx doesn't look good.

I would never say they don't look good. I think Halo has always had a good look but you can just see the compromises they had to take to get to the 60fps. Animations look like H4 and the environments are so empty and lifeless. That stuff really stands out to me. That latest gameplay footage though makes the 60fps really sing with all your squad mates attacking on the map.

Trup1aya

Probably more to do with framerate...

If you've every played halo (or any other popular FPS) you'd know 10 year olds are going to get the game in droves regardless of its rating... No need to target them...

All Halo games have had it. I see your point and I'd love to play some games without the motion tracker, but I'm sure removing it altogether isn't what the majority wants. Most people would go crazy if that happened.

We are in the minority...but at least we have Breakout mode (no radar or motion trackers).
It would only be an issue with people if they removed radar altogether, but changing motion tracker to sound-based radar would deter many complaints on both sides.

Ya hate motion tracker? Sound-based radar is an improvement.
Ya hate the idea of removing radar altogether? Sound-based radar is a fair compromise.​

It needs to be forced, and honestly I doubt many casual players would even notice the difference. Watch lesser skilled players play, they're oblivious to motion tracker a lot of the time. And then what about going up against more skilled players with motion tracker? Good luck having a fun time lol

SystemBug

Osiris isn't a team of rookies though. People here seem to think they are some second rate soldiers.

Ai looks much better in the video. Elites doing some good damage and jackals trying to get out of harms way. Hunters seemed to go down a little to easily but they could have just cut the video to make it look that way.

Leyasu

Banned
Halo CE fans wanted the OP pistol back. They complained about Halo 2 "noobifaction" tho. The hitscan, the autoaim with huge hitboxes, swipe snipers, lock-on rockets, removal of fall damage and health you have to manage, the melee lunge, etc. Not to mention duel wielding was just a mistake, something that effectively shut off 2/3rds of the Halo combat triangle(grenades and melee) and encouraged more spraying automatics instead of precision kills.

The Sprint/ADS complaints are just boring now. It just feels like some weird kneejerk reaction to any modern design elements sneaking into your favorite franchise. The ADS functions almost exactly the same as the zoom, except now the weapon model takes up more real estate at the bottom for some weapons. Whoop-de-fuckin-do. As for the sprint, look...if you can watch this video, and despite movement/strafing being as fast as its even been in Halo, despite the balanced starts with a pistol that's actually good for the first time since Halo CE, or the dense maps with open sightlights and vertcaility with power-ups and power weapons to control, the golden triangle combat aided by a combination of movement options everybody starts with...like if you really can't see how Sprint(where you move slightly faster than normal at the cost of shield regen and the ability to shoot) isn't a natural addition to a game that's biggest innovation is giving you increased mobility options like boost clamber and ground pound....IDK what to tell you. You're a lost cause. I'm genuinely sorry for you, to have that kind of stubborn mindset.

Gotta agree

I'm proud of myself for not watching any of the campaign videos.

Just one more month left.
Same lol, I've avoided all the footage other than the intro to Team Osiris (before this embargo) and the Grunts chatter video ;b

EDIT:
That video I just posted about is sicknasty. If you watch a single campaign video, make it that one.
Don't listen to him A-One! Resist the urges!

Dynasty8

Same lol, I've avoided all the footage other than the intro to Team Osiris (before this embargo) and the Grunts chatter video ;b

LOL, I saw exactly those two as well. Saw the intro by accident and was kinda annoyed. I thought it was supposed to be some kind of launch trailer so I let it run (didn't read the title like an idiot). As for the grunt video, it was automatically played on Youtube after one of the multiplayer videos ended. Not a big deal though, it was funny.

Don't listen to him A-One! Resist the urges!

No way, I'm on blackout mode from here on out. Games are so much better when you go in blind. After playing MGSV, I feel like I saw 90% of the entire game through the trailers and footage I watched. Not making that mistake again.

Top Bottom