• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Man, the promethean enemies look so much better realized. There are more tiers. I absolutely love it. Knights seem a whole lot more deadly.

Trup1aya

In this case I'm using the term "running" as a way to describe the "max movement speed" The sprint mechanic makes you choose between the ability to fire your gun and the ability to move at max speed. Halo plays better as a game where you can do both at the same time (it used to be like that pre-Reach) Again, leaving sprint out, and increasing the base movement speed would be better for Halo's style of gameplay.

But yeah, unfortunately, the sprint mechanic is expected in every console shooter nowadays (yay, homogenization!) and that's why Halo has implemented it even when it's detrimental to the gameplay. Thank god for PC shooters I guess.

Again, I'm not talking about moving and shooting at the same time, I'm talking about moving at max speed and shooting at the same time. With the sprint mechanic you can't do that. Clear enough this time?

Feel free to not hit the sprint button if you don't want to... You'll be limiting your battle options, however, Running speed is very close to sprint speed. Find solace in that.

Halo has always been a game of trade offs... This new mechanic is no different... If you would like to use slide, or shoulder charge, you'll have to momentarily sacrifice your ability to shoot and your ability to recharge you shield...

No one can articulate why this added depth is bad for halo, beyond your gun isn't up... Well, there's more to halo than shooting your gun... And if you choose to sprint at a time when you SHOULD be shooting, then you've made a deadly mistake...

How do these slightly faster moving opponents who aren't shooting at you "break" the game? I mean you can't melee and shoot at the same time, or drive a warthog and shoot at the same time, or throw a grenade and shoot at the same time... Etc... There are moments when it makes sense to limit what you can do all at once, for balance purposes... For all the actions that moving at max speed now enables, it makes sense that you can't shoot while doing it.

shoreu

Feel free to not hit the sprint button if you don't want to... You'll be limiting your battle options, however, Running speed is very close to sprint speed. Find solace in that.

Halo has always been a game of trade offs... This new mechanic is no different... If you would like to use slide, or shoulder charge, you'll have to momentarily sacrifice your ability to shoot and your ability to recharge you shield...

No one can articulate why this added depth is bad for halo, beyond your gun isn't up... Well, there's more to halo that shooting your gun... And if you choose to sprint at a time when you SHOULD be shooting, then you've made a deadly mistake...

How do these slightly faster moving opponent who aren't shooting at you "break" the game? I mean you can't melee and shoot at the same time, or drive a warthog and shoot at the same time, or throw a grenade and shoot at the same time... There are moments when it makes sense to limit what you can do all at once, for balance purposes... For all the actions that moving at max speed enables, it makes sense that you can't shoot while doing so.

Prepare to be bombarded with " it stretches out maps" or that "it forces people to chase their kills when they win the fights" .

RSB

Banned

No one can articulate why this added depth is bad for halo, beyond your gun isn't up... Well, there's more to halo that shooting your gun... And if you choose to sprint at a time when you SHOULD be shooting, then you've made a deadly mistake...
Sure I get it, you like those trade-offs in Halo, that's cool. I would have prefered Halo to keep being a pure run and gun shooter, instead of adding sprint and changing the battle dynamics for the worse just to be like every other console shooter (they all have sprint now)

BTW, since you like trade-offs so much, I guess you are also one of those who would have loved to see full-blown ADS in Halo 5 (with the usual accuracy and movement speed penalties associated to it) right? Well, for now you'll have to make due with cosmetic ADS. But don't worry, at this rate it wouldn't surpise me to see them adding that filth in Halo 6.

At least there's still PC, where pure run and gun shooters (without shit like sprint and ADS) are still a thing. The homogenization of the genre on consoles is still a shame though.

Sure I get it, you like those trade-offs in Halo, that's cool. I would have prefered Halo to keep being a pure run and gun shooter, instead of adding sprint and changing the battle dynamics for the worse just to be like every other console shooter (they all have sprint now)

BTW, since you like trade-offs so much, I guess you are also one of those who would have loved to see full-blown ADS in Halo 5 (with the usual accuracy and movement speed penalties associated to it) right? Well, for now you'll have to make due with cosmetic ADS. But don't worry, at this rate it wouldn't surpise me to see them adding that filth in Halo 6.

At least there's still PC, where pure run and gun shooters (without shit like sprint and ADS) are still a thing. The homogenization of the genre on consoles is still a shame though.

When passive aggressiveness goes too far.

Seriously, that second paragraph kind of makes you sound like an ass. You can make your point without sounding so condescending.

Trup1aya

Except

1) halo was never a 'pure' run and gun shooter there's melee, grenades, vehicles which are equally important to movement and shooting

2) the idea that mechanics in this game have changed for the worse is subjective... I think the Spartan Abilites , including sprint, have been a positive ADDITION to the Halo battle dynamics. And the core dynamics are still in play...

3) why do you think I'd like full-blown ADS? What a completely baseless and ignorant accusation. I'm not even a fan of the current Halo5 implementation, to be honest, but I can live with the purely aesthetic change. There are already trade-offs to zooming in the form of limited peripheral view, loss of motion tracker, and the disorientation that comes with being descoped... So no, I don't think we need any additional trade-offs, it's already well balanced. Based on developer commentary on the matter, I'm sure Halo6 is safe in this regard.

4) Homogenization sure is a shame... Luckily there isn't a single game on consoles that PLAYS like Halo... Not even close. Sprint and zoom aesthetics do not a clone make... There is soooo much more to this game.

Why does everybody ignore the fact that this is a preview build and 343 started that there will be 1000+ reqs ready at launch? Mark V or whatever you want may still be in the full game!
It was confirmed to be 175 helmets at launch, the same amount that's in the video. :(

So no Mk. V at launch because 343 made the same mistake twice for some reason.

RSB

Banned
Except

1) halo was never a 'pure' run and gun shooter there's melee, grenades, vehicles which are equally important to movement and shooting

2) the idea that mechanics in this game have changed for the worse is subjective... I think the Spartan Abilites , including sprint, have been a positive ADDITION to the Halo battle dynamics. And the core dynamics are still in play...

3) why do you think I'd like full-blown ADS? What a completely baseless and ignorant accusation. I'm not even a fan of the current Halo5 implementation, to be honest, but I can live with the purely aesthetic change. There are already trade-offs to zooming in the form of limited peripheral view, loss of motion tracker, and the disorientation that comes with being descoped... So no, I don't think we need any additional trade-offs, it's already well balanced. Based on developer commentary on the matter, I'm sure Halo6 is safe in this regard.

4) Homogenization sure is a shame... Luckily there isn't a single game on consoles that PLAYS like Halo... Not even close. Sprint and zoom aesthetics do not a clone make... There is soooo much more to this game.
Hehe, the fact that you view that assumption about ADS as an accusation warms my heart. Seriously though, I really hate how developers keep shoe-horning ADS into every shooter, and I really hope you are right about Halo 6 being safe. Cosmetic ADS is already annoying, but full-blown ADS would kill my interest in the franchise completely. About the rest, well, agree to disagree I guess.

Why are people still saying "a spartan super soldier should be able to sprint." I thought we've beaten this argument to death multiple times. Game design doesn't have to make "realistic" sense, like, ever. Halo 1-3 was designed around never compromising your shooting to move. I'm not saying one style is better than the other (though I do prefer NO sprint) but damn, I wish people would stop bringing canonical significance into a multiplayer argument.
Yeah, it's almost as dumb as the "you just want Halo 2 forever" argument every time someone dares criticize any of the new additions. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be getting rid of that kind of "arguments" any time soon.

Man this ain't 2002 anymore.
Oh look, here's another one. LOL.

Why are people still saying "a spartan super soldier should be able to sprint." I thought we've beaten this argument to death multiple times. Game design doesn't have to make "realistic" sense, like, ever. Halo 1-3 was designed around never compromising your shooting to move. I'm not saying one style is better than the other (though I do prefer NO sprint) but damn, I wish people would stop bringing canonical significance into a multiplayer argument.

Trup1aya

Hehe, the fact that you view that assumption about ADS as an accusation warms my heart. Seriously though, I really hate how developers keep shoe-horning ADS into every shooter, and I really hope you are right about Halo 6 being safe. Cosmetic ADS is already annoying, but full-blown ADS would kill my interest in the franchise completely. About the rest, well, agree to disagree I guess.

Well yeah, the zoom aesthetic is really the only thing that bothers me about 343i's design choices... It doesn't even make sense from a lore perspective (which is their claim) because the Spartans visor should be getting a direct feed of each guns view finder... But from a gameplay perspective, it's unnecessary visual noise...

That said, since Halo's weaponry is generally more visually and functionally diverse than that of the military shooters that popularized the mechanic, we get some pretty neat looking sights and firing animations... I'd rather not have them, but since we have no choice, at least they mostly look good (except for the BR and DMR... Eww)

nib95

Banned
Best shooter of the year no doubt about it.
https://twitter.com/HCS/status/647533175548153856

ohok-RCbFdWO1-kQS1gt3MQTduw.gif

If this game isn't great it's not because they added sprint and ADS.

Judging from the beta alone the game has done a perfect job of implementing and balancing modern features into an older style gametype.

These complaints are so lazy

Leyasu

Banned

Judging from the beta alone the game has done a perfect job of implementing and balancing modern features into an older style gametype.

The beta was the best halo that I have played to date. Everytime I see the same arguments crop up, I think about replying, then just leave it.

Its upto the game to change their minds, not us.

Dynasty8

No matter what 343 does, they'll never be satisfied.

JeanPi

Banned

You are trying too hard.

OEM

Let it go jimmy, we know you dont like sprint. No need to try to hard to justify yourself. We get it, but fortunately more of us here agree that this is the best halo MP in a long long time.

Oh boy. I'm not even going to point out where this post has gone wrong.

RSB

Banned
Let it go jimmy, we know you dont like sprint. No need to try to hard to justify yourself. We get it, but fortunately more of us here agree that this is the best halo MP in a long long time.
Well, even with stuff like sprint, cosmetic ADS, clamber, motion tracker, etc. I also think Halo 5 has the potential to be the best Halo MP in quite a while. Sure, it may not have much merit considering how bad Reach and 4 were, but still... I'll like it more than every other console shooter released this year, that's pretty much guaranteed.

Madness

I hate the Halo 2 complaint. With the launch of Halo 5 we'll have as many games of mainline Halo where there are new gimmicks and radical changes to game play as opposed to more of the same of classic Halo.

It's funny how every iteration gets the defense. I mean I enjoyed Halo 5 beta and I'm excited for the game. But saying they need to change the formula, what was Reach? What was Halo 4? You can't just say, oh hey see now this is a winning formula change, we were right, you go back to 2004 blah blah.

I think sprint is a poor addition, a mechanic that has not worked in Halo before and still will not, even with the health nerf. I know why it's there, it's there for the same reason Smart Link/ADS is there. But it's whatever. Those mechanics are here to stay for good, until the next radical change to fps design. Full hand motion controls and VR helmets for FoV? Who knows.

Who knows how Halo 5 will do, there's always Halo 6 and the same cycle again of purist vs change.

Dynasty8

Well, even with stuff like sprint, cosmetic ADS, clamber, motion tracker, etc. I also think Halo 5 has the potential to be the best Halo MP in quite a while. Sure, it may not have much merit considering how bad Reach and 4 were, but still... I'll like it more than every other console shooter released this year, that's pretty much guaranteed.

giphy.gif

I thought we already got over with sprint and "ADS" talk like half a year ago. Also CSGO replaced the zoom of AUG and SG552 (the two scoped assault rifles) with cosmetic ADS that obscured the view, that community didn't freak out.

No one can articulate why this added depth is bad for halo, beyond your gun isn't up... Well, there's more to halo than shooting your gun... And if you choose to sprint at a time when you SHOULD be shooting, then you've made a deadly mistake...

How do these slightly faster moving opponents who aren't shooting at you "break" the game? I mean you can't melee and shoot at the same time, or drive a warthog and shoot at the same time, or throw a grenade and shoot at the same time... Etc... There are moments when it makes sense to limit what you can do all at once, for balance purposes... For all the actions that moving at max speed now enables, it makes sense that you can't shoot while doing it.

I get the whole argument around not wanting sprint, but I personally have always liked it, and having played the beta, I feel like temporarily crippling your shield has fixed the problem with people using it to run away.
And I feel like tying shoulder charge and slides to it adds tactical depth to it that is not fully explored in other games where you die much quicker.

Looking forward to playing a fine tuned MP experience come Oct 27th!

Zeta Oni

I get the whole argument around not wanting sprint, but I personally have always liked it, and having played the beta, I feel like temporarily crippling your shield has fixed the problem with people using it to run away.
And I feel like tying shoulder charge and slides to it adds tactical depth to it that is not fully explored in other games where you die much quicker.

Looking forward to playing a fine tuned MP experience come Oct 27th!

I dont. To me its always been a case of the newest generation of halo fans complaining about change. Its like some halo fans live in some weird bubble where bungie made 3 perfect games that no one had anything to complain about in terms of changes between them, and then Reach and Halo 4 happened and ruined everything.

Nope, the fanbase has been like this since the day Halo 2 dropped with no campaign levels like the silent cartographer, a very apparent rushed story with one of the worst endings ive ever seen, and a decently overpowered Battle Rifle replacing a ridiculously overpowered Magnum.

Nope, the fanbase has been like this since the day Halo 2 dropped with no campaign levels like the silent cartographer, a very apparent rushed story with one of the worst endings ive ever seen, and a decently overpowered Battle Rifle replacing a ridiculously overpowered Magnum.

lol

So you listed two things that are new to the franchise in universal cosmetic ADS and clamber, one continuing from H4 in sprint (this time with added balance) and finally the bolded: what is so drastic about having the motion tracker? It has been in every Halo since forever. And what is the etc. for exactly? How much more have they "broken" in this iteration of Halo?

Personally, I'm with many of the rest of the longtime Halo fans here and elsewhere; the Halo 5 Beta was the best, most balanced Halo game I've played since the series started. This game to me in the closest realization of the franchise to the lore as could be expected and they've pulled it off very well.

Halo CE fans wanted the OP pistol back. They complained about Halo 2 "noobifaction" tho. The hitscan, the autoaim with huge hitboxes, swipe snipers, lock-on rockets, removal of fall damage and health you have to manage, the melee lunge, etc. Not to mention duel wielding was just a mistake, something that effectively shut off 2/3rds of the Halo combat triangle(grenades and melee) and encouraged more spraying automatics instead of precision kills.

The Sprint/ADS complaints are just boring now. It just feels like some weird kneejerk reaction to any modern design elements sneaking into your favorite franchise. The ADS functions almost exactly the same as the zoom, except now the weapon model takes up more real estate at the bottom for some weapons. Whoop-de-fuckin-do. As for the sprint, look...if you can watch this video, and despite movement/strafing being as fast as its even been in Halo, despite the balanced starts with a pistol that's actually good for the first time since Halo CE, or the dense maps with open sightlights and vertcaility with power-ups and power weapons to control, the golden triangle combat aided by a combination of movement options everybody starts with...like if you really can't see how Sprint(where you move slightly faster than normal at the cost of shield regen and the ability to shoot) isn't a natural addition to a game that's biggest innovation is giving you increased mobility options like boost clamber and ground pound....IDK what to tell you. You're a lost cause. I'm genuinely sorry for you, to have that kind of stubborn mindset.

So. I have to know.

...does this game have Blood Gulch?

Hopefully not.

Btw after watching all the Arena footage i really love that almost every weapon is useful now. I dont have to worry about picking up the Carbine and not able to kill someone (Halo 3 for example).

Its really a nice change. And i really dont know but AR+Pistol starts really seems to fit more with Halo 5.

In the last games we had only one or two good weapon because the entire sandbox was horribly balanced. (H2 SMGs or H3 AR lol)

JackHerer

So. I have to know.

I seriously hope not. Terrible, overrated map that's only fun if you have a sniper or a vehicle. I'd much, much rather see a totally new and creative map designed from scratch.

I'm sure some equivalent will be added at some point though.

Sai

I was one of the guys who used to complain about the lunging melees introduced in Halo 2. Went on about it until the end of Halo 3's lifetime, I think.

Sai

How would you balance melee with the other two core aspects of the game without the lunge though? Used to suggest tying its lunge and damage values to sprint, should they ever integrate it into Halo.

The thrusters might be a good way of doing it. Would look more sensible than the Spartans just magically sliding the butt of their rifle into folks.

So. I have to know.

Sidewinder>>>>>Blood Gulch

There are no big team battle maps at launch, they're coming in the following "weeks" so we don't know what kind of BTB maps they're doing. There could me a re-make and they're might not be. I do no that Blood Gulch doesn't play well in modern Halo though, with the DMR there's too much cross mapping fire and less map movement.

Sou Da

Man, the lack of a death cam is a much bigger improvement than I thought. The re-spawning process somehow looks smoother.

VinFTW

Halo CE fans wanted the OP pistol back. They complained about Halo 2 "noobifaction" tho. The hitscan, the autoaim with huge hitboxes, swipe snipers, lock-on rockets, removal of fall damage and health you have to manage, the melee lunge, etc. Not to mention duel wielding was just a mistake, something that effectively shut off 2/3rds of the Halo combat triangle(grenades and melee) and encouraged more spraying automatics instead of precision kills.

The Sprint/ADS complaints are just boring now. It just feels like some weird kneejerk reaction to any modern design elements sneaking into your favorite franchise. The ADS functions almost exactly the same as the zoom, except now the weapon model takes up more real estate at the bottom for some weapons. Whoop-de-fuckin-do. As for the sprint, look...if you can watch this video, and despite movement/strafing being as fast as its even been in Halo, despite the balanced starts with a pistol that's actually good for the first time since Halo CE, or the dense maps with open sightlights and vertcaility with power-ups and power weapons to control, the golden triangle combat aided by a combination of movement options everybody starts with...like if you really can't see how Sprint(where you move slightly faster than normal at the cost of shield regen and the ability to shoot) isn't a natural addition to a game that's biggest innovation is giving you increased mobility options like boost clamber and ground pound....IDK what to tell you. You're a lost cause. I'm genuinely sorry for you, to have that kind of stubborn mindset.

Top Bottom