• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

RoKKeR

Just watched a quick match. The new kill feed looks great and I like that they highlight your kills, just makes it easier to read. Also like how they've toned down Steitzer. It seems that he isn't on as many medals and his VO kind of reminds me of Halo 3, which I always found to be the sweet spot.

The new sniper scope and DMR scopes also look nice.

Halo CE fans wanted the OP pistol back. They complained about Halo 2 "noobifaction" tho. The hitscan, the autoaim with huge hitboxes, swipe snipers, lock-on rockets, removal of fall damage and health you have to manage, the melee lunge, etc. Not to mention duel wielding was just a mistake, something that effectively shut off 2/3rds of the Halo combat triangle(grenades and melee) and encouraged more spraying automatics instead of precision kills.

The Sprint/ADS complaints are just boring now. It just feels like some weird kneejerk reaction to any modern design elements sneaking into your favorite franchise. The ADS functions almost exactly the same as the zoom, except now the weapon model takes up more real estate at the bottom for some weapons. Whoop-de-fuckin-do. As for the sprint, look...if you can watch this video, and despite movement/strafing being as fast as its even been in Halo, despite the balanced starts with a pistol that's actually good for the first time since Halo CE, or the dense maps with open sightlights and vertcaility with power-ups and power weapons to control, the golden triangle combat aided by a combination of movement options everybody starts with...like if you really can't see how Sprint(where you move slightly faster than normal at the cost of shield regen and the ability to shoot) isn't a natural addition to a game that's biggest innovation is giving you increased mobility options like boost clamber and ground pound....IDK what to tell you. You're a lost cause. I'm genuinely sorry for you, to have that kind of stubborn mindset.

Triple A post. Gold star. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Ein Bear

Sidewinder>>>>>Blood Gulch

This I can't argue with. Sidewinder was the best.

It's probably a pipe dream, due to different engines and what-not, but I think it'd be quite cool if they brought the Halo 2 Anniversary maps over to 5. It feels a shame to have all these beautiful remakes of classic maps in a game with such a limited shelf-life as H2:A.

This I can't argue with. Sidewinder was the best.

It's probably a pipe dream, due to different engines and what-not, but I think it'd be quite cool if they brought the Halo 2 Anniversary maps over to 5. It feels a shame to have all these beautiful remakes of classic maps in a game with such a limited shelf-life as H2:A.

DLC maybe? I only want Sanctuary though.

Gestault

New footage of The Rig and CTF Coliseum from h0lmb0m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl40nonis24

That looks super fun. The longer I watched, the more I saw the little changes since the beta.

Halo CE fans wanted the OP pistol back. They complained about Halo 2 "noobifaction" tho. The hitscan, the autoaim with huge hitboxes, swipe snipers, lock-on rockets, removal of fall damage and health you have to manage, the melee lunge, etc. Not to mention duel wielding was just a mistake, something that effectively shut off 2/3rds of the Halo combat triangle(grenades and melee) and encouraged more spraying automatics instead of precision kills.

The Sprint/ADS complaints are just boring now. It just feels like some weird kneejerk reaction to any modern design elements sneaking into your favorite franchise. The ADS functions almost exactly the same as the zoom, except now the weapon model takes up more real estate at the bottom for some weapons. Whoop-de-fuckin-do. As for the sprint, look...if you can watch this video, and despite movement/strafing being as fast as its even been in Halo, despite the balanced starts with a pistol that's actually good for the first time since Halo CE, or the dense maps with open sightlights and vertcaility with power-ups and power weapons to control, the golden triangle combat aided by a combination of movement options everybody starts with...like if you really can't see how Sprint(where you move slightly faster than normal at the cost of shield regen and the ability to shoot) isn't a natural addition to a game that's biggest innovation is giving you increased mobility options like boost clamber and ground pound....IDK what to tell you. You're a lost cause. I'm genuinely sorry for you, to have that kind of stubborn mindset.

Yeah, this is really well put. Thanks for taking the time to put it into words.

People don't like sprint because it adds nothing to the game. When you sprint you are unable to shoot, something that never happened in original Halo games. It isn't just a knee jerk reaction. There are actual reasons behind it. This game plays slower than Halo CE, which is fine if you like slower paced games, but let's not act like this isn't true. And when 343 adds so many things to nerf sprint, it makes you wonder why they even have it in the game in the first place.

VinFTW

People don't like sprint because it adds nothing to the game. When you sprint you are unable to shoot, something that never happened in original Halo games. It isn't just a knee jerk reaction. There are actual reasons behind it. This game plays slower than Halo CE, which is fine if you like slower paced games, but let's not act like this isn't true. And when 343 adds so many things to nerf sprint, it makes you wonder why they even have it in the game in the first place.

You'd have to be an idiot to not understand why they have sprint in a 2015 FPS.

Trup1aya

It does add something to the game though... It's the modifier that enables for slides and shoulder charge... Which are additional offensive and defensive options that add depth to the precedings.

They added 'nerfs' to sprint so that it wouldn't be OP... How does that bring questions to why it exists? Features and weapons get nerfed all the time when they are found to be OP... That doesn't mean the feature or weapon should be removed altogether...

Kind of like the Halo:CE pistol (which became the Halo 2 BR) which was responsible for the quick pace of that game, not the lack of sprint.

As for Halo5 games dragging on thanks to Sprint... That just doesn't seem to be the case. It happened in the Beta, but now the delta between base speed and Sprint is much smaller... and of course Spartans can't out run bullets...

shoreu

Bolded is false. It lets you close distances quickly. Remove yourself from combat, and avoid death. Essentially is another escape option or used for rapid team advancement.

Because of Warzone. They don't want it to interfere with combat like in Halo 4, but they also want players to be able to traverse larger areas in a shorter span of time.

And it's 2015, it's what people expect.

You'd have to be an idiot to not understand why they have sprint in a 2015 FPS.

I completely understand why they are adding sprint to the game. It is extremely dissapointing however to see a game develepor potentially, considering what side of the argument you fall on, make the game worse just because it might attract COD kids.

People don't like sprint because it adds nothing to the game. When you sprint you are unable to shoot, something that never happened in original Halo games. It isn't just a knee jerk reaction. There are actual reasons behind it.

"this mechanic wasn't in the original so I hate it ;_;" is the only reason I'm seeing here

This game plays slower than Halo CE, which is fine if you like slower paced games, but let's not act like this isn't true.

Really? How did you come to that conclusion? What's your criteria? Movement speed? Halo 5 has one of the fastest base movement in the series. With the added benefit that the game doesn't feel like you're gliding on ice like Halo CE. It also has one of the fastest strafe accelerations. Weak starting weapons? This is the first Halo with a starting weapon worth a damn since CE, but also doesn't step over the BR/DMR's roles. What's "slower paced" about a Halo that lets you quickly clamber up ledges, or boost around, or sprint?

Explain your findings, since you seem so convinced they are irrevocable truths.

I completely understand your guys' arguments. I will say that the "it's 2015 it's what people expect" is not a good argument when we are looking at how the mechanic is effecting the game. I personally do not mind sprint but I can definitely see the anti sprint argument and it has been tested as to why it hurts the flow of the game.

"this mechanic wasn't in the original so I hate it ;_;" is the only reason I'm seeing here

Really? How did you come to that conclusion? What's your criteria? Movement speed? Halo 5 has one of the fastest base movement in the series. With the added benefit that the game doesn't feel like you're gliding on ice like Halo CE. It also has one of the fastest strafe accelerations. What's "slower paced" about a Halo that lets you quickly clamber up ledges, or boost around, or sprint?

Explain your findings, since you seem so convinced they are irrevocable truths.

Halo CE has the fastest kill times by far in any Halo game. Since this is the case, the Halo CE pistol kill time have been clocked in at about 0.6 seconds. Halo 5 kill times with the Pistol and other "skill" weapons have been clocked in at about 1.2 seconds or more. So you are essentially making the game slower because it takes longer to kill people.

Then you add the movement speeds, which make the player feel faster. But add the fact that sprint makes it so you can easily run away + the increased kill times, and you have a game that actually plays slower because the gun battles last way to long.

Random17

Watching some older Warzone feeds, the AI is significantly more competent than what we saw in the Easy/Normal previews. That's a very good sign!

VinFTW

I completely understand your guys' arguments. I will say that the "it's 2015 it's what people expect" is not a good argument when we are looking at how the mechanic is effecting the game. I personally do not mind sprint but I can definitely see the anti sprint argument and it has been tested as to why it hurts the flow of the game.

BUT... the game isn't out yet. Halo 4 and Reach's anti sprint argument doesn't automatically apply to Halo 5.

Wait and see, as of right now, the game plays fine with it.

SystemBug

Halo CE has the fastest kill times by far in any Halo game. Since this is the case, the Halo CE pistol kill time have been clocked in at about 0.6 seconds. Halo 5 kill times with the Pistol and other "skill" weapons have been clocked in at about 1.2 seconds or more. So you are essentially making the game slower because it takes longer to kill people.

Then you add the movement speeds, which make the player feel faster. But add the fact that sprint makes it so you can easily run away + the increased kill times, and you have a game that actually plays slower because the gun battles last way to long.
So your saying time-to-kill is the only bases to judge game speed? In that case I guess the old rainbow six games are the most fast paced games around.

Thank you.

clippy.png

Just watched the 15 minute video at 60 FPS. Game is looking great. AI tuning hopefully continues till the end. Music is great.

This is going to be a great experience. Can't wait for the marketing machine to kick into overdrive come Sunday.

Btw after watching all the Arena footage i really love that almost every weapon is useful now. I dont have to worry about picking up the Carbine and not able to kill someone (Halo 3 for example).

Its really a nice change. And i really dont know but AR+Pistol starts really seems to fit more with Halo 5.)
Yeah, feels got that it's not all about BR + powerweapons, everything seems useful in a certain situation, but we will see how that works out

AR+pistol felt great in the beta to me. Of course AR was too powerful and pistol had too much strange recoil that got fixed. With BR starts in the beta the people weren't moving around the map anymore, since they don't need to look out for spawns of BR/DMR and so on

Watching the videos of the latest coverage I am not sure how this feels like a slow game.

Bsigg12

Hopefully not.

Btw after watching all the Arena footage i really love that almost every weapon is useful now. I dont have to worry about picking up the Carbine and not able to kill someone (Halo 3 for example).

Its really a nice change. And i really dont know but AR+Pistol starts really seems to fit more with Halo 5.

In the last games we had only one or two good weapon because the entire sandbox was horribly balanced. (H2 SMGs or H3 AR lol)

I think this is one of the best things to happen. Not relying on 3 guns when you have a whole arsenal is awesome. The SMG being a bullet hose that'll rip you down at close range and the magnum being a legitimate contender for mid range is great. It means there will be fights for DMRs and BRs around the maps and you'll still have a chance against people who have those guns with the base loadout.

So your saying time-to-kill is the only bases to judge game speed? In that case I guess the old rainbow six games are the most fast paced games around.

Hell, have you seen how long some of the TTKs are for many of the weapons in Quake 3? Several seconds long. Who knew that was a slow paced game all these years?

Random17

Armor variants are a bit disappointing though. Reach truly was the high point.

Reach looked awful though, a lot of the classic armors were messy and the colour scheme was too bland. Halo 2 Anniversary/Halo 3 for Spartans, Halo 2 for the Elites in Campaign and multiplayer. Recruit armor in Halo 4 is also decent.

jem0208

I think this is the most positive Halo thread I've seen in a very long time, it's rather refreshing.

We've even got Proven and Jumper praising certain aspects of the game!

Trup1aya

The bolded is untrue... You can easily sprint away: sprint speed isn't much faster than base speed, AND you sacrifice sheild regen. Also, the weapons in general all do more damage.

The TTK in Halo:CE was a PROBLEM, thanks to the pistol being massively overpowered, and essentially the only weapon anyone ever used... I don't think we should base Halo 5's pacing on that broken system...

Halo5 TTK is faster than Halo games since Halo:CE despite Sprint... Thanks in part to having what appears to be the best balancing the series has ever seen. And sprint is a part of that balancing equation.

When I played the beta I used sprint like 4 times. How can people bitch about it? Don't use it like me if you don't like it. I'm a big boy though with grown up pants and can handle my own in the halo universe.

Spasm

Factually it may be slower than CE, but it certainly doesn't feel slower when playing, IMO.
Because CE has a ridiculously wide FOV that makes everything appear to move faster than it really does. When H2 came out, that was the first thing I noticed... And I hated it.

Fucking nailed it. Just read the smattering of responses contrary to this post, and they are as boring and flaccid an argument as Viewtiful said they are. Time to move on, and embrace what is shaping up to be one of the landmark Halo entries.

Top Bottom