• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
You can save last checkpoint at any time. So you could quit and resume but I have never once done it, there's always the hope that they'll get there in time even though you're stuck between two angry hunters...

shortest ban in history. good

And will the game come with an XBL free trial? Halo 4 came with a 2 week for me but that might have just been the Limited Edition. Oh and is there co-op matchmaking like Reach?

Halo 5 (the physical boxed version at least) comes with a 2 week XBL free trial just like Halo 4 did. Halo 5 will not have co-op matchmaking, at least not at launch. Apparently it wasn't a popular playlist in Reach and they didn't want matchmaking to sour the players' campaign experience by getting matched with randoms who might cause you grief.

Halo 5 (the physical boxed version at least) comes with a 2 week XBL free trial just like Halo 4 did. Halo 5 will not have co-op matchmaking, at least not at launch. Apparently it wasn't a popular playlist in Reach and they didn't want matchmaking to sour the players' campaign experience by getting matched with randoms who might cause you grief.

So you can only play co-op with people on your friends list?

Akai__

So you can only play co-op with people on your friends list?

You could also invite some strangers, but there is no campaign matchmaking, if that's what you mean. It's the same situation as the previous Halo games (except Reach). Just think of it as Campaign Custom Games.

Dynasty8

It's September 27th today.

Halo 5 launches on October 27th.

These last 30 days.....

Alg-crying-baby-jpg_zpsbfec89b2.jpg

Glass

Still lots to be revealed. I'm hoping a steady stream of new information will help things along quickly.

It won't.

Its gonna be a long 30 days

My plan to make it go by faster is to make a schedule of all the cool stuff happening between now and Halo 5's release, so I'm always waiting just a few days for something instead of wallowing in a month-long anticipation for Halo 5. For example:

September 27: Halo 5 Launch Trailer
September 28: Warzone Embargo Lifts
October 1: New character added to League of Legends
October 8: Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta
October 9: Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection
October ??: Halo 5 Forge reveal
October 23: Assassin's Creed Syndicate

and finally...

October 27: Halo 5 Guardians.

jelly

You can save last checkpoint at any time. So you could quit and resume but I have never once done it, there's always the hope that they'll get there in time even though you're stuck between two angry hunters...

Cool, stand aside enemies, this man needs medical attention. Carry on. He's down, he's up, thanks kelly, he's down. She's down. Hunter hits a home run, Fredric can really fly.

Hope the trailer tonight is Halo 3 tier. Best ever. ETA?

Trup1aya

You mean the entirety of Halo 2 and the whole second half of CE? And in the fiction Spartans make short work of most Covenant enemies that are not Elites and Hunters like in easy mode.

Of course they make short work of those guys... That's pretty much the case in the games, even on legendary...

In the novels, we see the Spartans struggle 1on1 against brutes and elites... Also, they frequently need to think outside the box to overcome overwhelming odds. And that's what it's like playing solo on legendary.

You've even seen MC struggle 1-on-1 against elites and brutes...

My plan to make it go by faster is to make a schedule of all the cool stuff happening between now and Halo 5's release, so I'm always waiting just a few days for something instead of wallowing in a month-long anticipation for Halo 5. For example:

September 27: Halo 5 Launch Trailer
September 28: Warzone Embargo Lifts
October 1: New character added to League of Legends
October 8: Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta
October 9: Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection
October ??: Halo 5 Forge reveal
October 23: Assassin's Creed Syndicate

and finally...

October 27: Halo 5 Guardians.

October 6: Metal Gear Online

Also awesome, what time will the launch trailer arrive?

Ein Bear

My hype has hit unbearable levels.

Fortunately, I've been saving the Legendary campaigns in the Master Chief Collection for this very moment. Just finished Truth and Reconciliation and started re-reading Fall of Reach. God, I just love Halo so much.

My hype has hit unbearable levels.

Fortunately, I've been saving the Legendary campaigns in the Master Chief Collection for this very moment. Just finished Truth and Reconciliation and started re-reading Fall of Reach. God, I just love Halo so much.

Good luck. You'll get the Helioskrill armor in Halo 5 for your efforts if you do beat all 4 campaigns on Legendary.

Ah yis I have convinced my brother in law to pick up a X1 which affectively rounds out my 4 player set-up. That campaign footage pushed him over the edge. Can't wait

Glass

Ah yis I have convinced my brother in law to pick up a X1 which affectively rounds out my 4 player set-up. That campaign footage pushed him over the edge. Can't wait

Nice, I'm super jealous of all those who can go into this with 4 player co-op. It doesn't matter how good the campaign will be, 4 player co-op with friends is guaranteed a good time.

Ein Bear

Good luck. You'll get the Helioskrill armor in Halo 5 for your efforts if you do beat all 4 campaigns on Legendary.

Oh for real? That's so cool, I love cross-game stuff like that.

Incidentally, I really hope they get around to bringing Reach over to the Xbox One at some point. I was originally going to start my series re-play off with that, but I can't go back to 30fps Halo. MCC has spoilt me.

Frog-fu

Banned
I'm so torn between this and Battlefront as my big holiday shooter. On one hand, Halo Campaigns are my most replayed single player experiences of all time. On the other hand, none of my friends either have Xbones or want to buy another Halo game so I can't play co-op without split screen. Oh and I'd have to pay for XBL again.

I'll wait a few days to a week for impressions. It looks like it could actually be the biggest Halo Campaign yet. Plus I have significantly more faith in this than Battlefront.

There is plenty of space between their respective releases to get down and familiar with Halo 5 and then get Battlefront. Get both. I'm definitely getting both at launch.

Euron

There is plenty of space between their respective releases to get down and familiar with Halo 5 and then get Battlefront. Get both. I'm definitely getting both at launch.
I'd love to get both but it's a concern of both time and money. Fallout 4 and the Bloodborne expansion are already guaranteed purchases for me in addition to MGSV that I already bought. Though the former will probably be a Christmas gift.

Odds are at this point, I'll wait a week then get Halo 5. Battlefront will probably be better to buy for Christmas when the DLC is out and more importantly, the inevitable technical problems are patched.

But one of the biggest things I've been trying to do this year is buy less games and get more time out of them. Halo 3 and Reach are my two most played games of all time along with SSB: Melee so Halo's always been a safe bet for value. Again, probably best to wait for impressions with every game now.

What's cool about this game being built around 4 player co-op is that it shouldn't feel like each player is stepping on the other's toes, which is a feeling I can't seem to avoid in many co-op titles. The problem is even though they may have co-op play, they really feel like they're still built for just a single person, so having another player in the world messing around ends up feeling more than a little bit awkward. Based on what I've seen so far, there's plenty of action to be had, and for each player to feel like they're making a real contribution all over the various campaign locations.

Did they remove the dialogue indicating when your teammate got a power weapon? Im not hearing it. I do think it's useful to know whether we got it or they got it.

Bsigg12

Did they remove the dialogue indicating when your teammate got a power weapon? Im not hearing it. I do think it's useful to know whether we got it or they got it.

It's an option now. You can shutoff teammate chatter if you don't like it or you're playing in a party with headsets.

Finally got to watch the video in the link I posted earlier, it really looks like a snippet of the trailer they're about to reveal and its live action. Hype

It's an option now. You can shutoff teammate chatter if you don't like it or you're playing in a party with headsets.

Ive found references to turning off chatter altogether, but that's not exactly what I'm talking about. In the videos I watch, the spartans are still talkative, they just dont call out something like "Got the sniper" anymore. Are you saying there is a sort of 'medium' option?

Do you have the answers, stinkles?

Ramirez

Not watching the campaign footage, but the Hunter gifs look great. Breakout still looks lame as fuck, but the rest of MP looks so damn good. I've seen all I need, just give me the game, thanks.

Ive found references to turning off chatter altogether, but that's not exactly what I'm talking about. In the videos I watch, the spartans are still talkative, they just dont call out something like "Got the sniper" anymore. Are you saying there is a sort of 'medium' option?

Do you have the answers, stinkles?

IIRC, there's "no chatter," "essentials only," and "all chatter" options. Could be that they just took out the power weapon callouts.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I really, really want to play Halo 5 and jump back into an XBOX (I really do, being a big Halo fan and spending most of my early years playing the series and heavily invested into the lore/story) but I keep thinking there will be an XBOX one slim in the following year and I will kick myself for it for the size.

Tell me peeps, is the size fine and worth getting it now? This, Tomb Raider, Forza 6 and Quantum Break the main games I want to get on the One side, and of course future titles.

Halo bundle edition is yelling at me!

Zeta Oni

I really, really want to play Halo 5 and jump back into an XBOX (I really do, being a big Halo fan and spending most of my early years playing the series and heavily invested into the lore/story) but I keep thinking there will be an XBOX one slim in the following year and I will kick myself for it for the size.

Tell me peeps, is the size fine and worth getting it now? This, Tomb Raider, Forza 6 and Quantum Break the main games I want to get on the One side, and of course future titles.

Halo bundle edition is yelling at me!

I'd say as long as you have an appetite for the upcoming exclusive games, then there's no reason not to. Between this, RotTR, Crackdown, and Scalebound, I've got plenty to look forward to personally.

Top Bottom