• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

IHaveIce

Banned
You haven't even played one game with Locke, you've seen a couple cut scenes and Nightfall, play the game before you make broad statements like this.

#TeamChiefThough

If they didn't implement a new brain into him since Nightfall he will be again a dumbass

Blues1990

Fool me once, ...

Time_to_Believe.jpg

Forsythia

Didn't expect a Game of Thrones spoiler in a Halo thread, thanks asshole and the dumbass who quoted the spoiler.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the tweet. That would be a real stupid move to spoil that like this.

Madness

Wouldn't kill off Chief. I'm guessing with the live action trailers that released before, the real story will probably be that Chief and Locke eventually meet, fight, and Chief defeats him but tells him why he's doing what he's doing and still has work to do. Locke then covers for him and instead, tells ONI and makes it official story is that he tracked Chief down and killed him.

Or maybe Locke defeats a broken Chief but instead if killing him, just leaves him for dead. They wouldn't say we've made it from a reclaimer trilogy to a saga, only to kill the main guy off in the second game. Expect Chief for at least two more games.

nah he's just taking a nap and turned off his visor for a good night, all that rubble must keep his armor nice and warm

After getting his bones reinforced with unbreakable carbon polymers and plaster transfixings, Chief sets out on his greatest mission yet: finding his surrogate father who supplied the materials.

Spoilers: Chief's dad is a building and gets destroyed by the Guardian, only to die in Chief's arms.

LordOfChaos

nah he's just taking a nap and turned off his visor for a good night, all that rubble must keep his armor nice and warm

That's the other thing...I never thought his visor was backlit...Was it? I thought it was just orange reflective glass or whatever composite substance. Not a light that can go out.

I guess that was just artistic liberty to show he's dead though.

I honestly don't know what I am going to play first. I am not sure on Campaign as it will be 12am EST and I don't want to be tired going through this Campaign (in the past at Midnight launches I would play about 2 hours of Campaign and about 2 hours of Multiplayer). If I decide on Multiplayer, do I choose to start with Arena or Warzone... I am so confused!

I'm starting with Warzone personally. If the network is jacked up I'll play some campaign. Once I'm confident with the controls (elite controller), I think I'll jump into arena. May be a few days until I sit down and try to get through the whole campaign unless online is a shitshow.

Bsigg12

I'm starting with Warzone personally. If the network is jacked up I'll play some campaign. Once I'm confident with the controls (elite controller), I think I'll jump into arena. May be a few days until I sit down and try to get through the whole campaign unless online is a shitshow.

See, because of the Elite controller, I'm going into campaign first so I can get used to it without feeling like I'm a scrub. I'll probably jump into Warzone for a little to get a ton of REQ points so I can start unlocking armor after 2-3 missions.

Madness

Nice interview with Tim Lingo. http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/352383/343+Industries+opens+up+on+Halo+5+Guardians/

This stood out to me

That would have been mindblowing. Maybe for 6? :D

You know what. I'm one of the biggest Marty O'Donnell fans there is. I love his work, including what he's done for Destiny. He's probably one of the, if not best in the industry, but I've been liking what Jinnouchi has been doing. Much better than Halo 4 so far. I wouldn't mind Marty coming back, but it's not as big an issue anymore. As it is, he was finished with the original Halo music, which is why Reach was so different.

I also think it would have come up for every developer no? Imagine the difference a Marty score could have on a game like Battlefront, on Black Ops 3, Bungie will use his score and music for the next few games. He founded Highwire though, I wonder if he wouldn't mind collaborating with Jinnouchi for some stuff for Halo 6.

See, because of the Elite controller, I'm going into campaign first so I can get used to it without feeling like I'm a scrub. I'll probably jump into Warzone for a little to get a ton of REQ points so I can start unlocking armor after 2-3 missions.

A fine choice, I'm just too much of a Halo multiplayer addict. Campaign still looks phenomenal but Warzone and arena are calling to me. I don't mind if I do shitty the first few games in Wzone; no ranking and I'll be earning REQ points. I've switched my controls so much for fps' in general lately that I don't think it'll take very long for me to relearn stuff...although I've never used a controller with paddles, so we'll see how that turns out.

Leyasu

Banned
Fucking optimus prime got killed in the transformers movie, so you never know......

Seriously, after finally reuniting blue team, and then introducing Osiris, I fucking hope that no one dies.

Bsigg12

A fine choice, I'm just too much of a Halo multiplayer addict. Campaign still looks phenomenal but Warzone and arena are calling to me. I don't mind if I do shitty the first few games in Wzone; no ranking and I'll be earning REQ points. I've switched my controls so much for fps' in general lately that I don't think it'll take very long for me to relearn stuff...although I've never used a controller with paddles, so we'll see how that turns out.

Yea trying to settle on a setup for 5 with the potential of the 4 paddles, all selectable, on the back and then the different sticks, stick adjustments in software, and either full or hair trigger settings is going to take me a little while to dial in my ideal configuration. I'll probably play with whatever Halo 5 specific profiles they ship with as I would guess the pro team guys have been working with this for a little while now.

Keep in mind chief is now the very center piece of the whole forerunner vs human conflict, he 100% won't go anywhere until at least that story arc comes to a close.

LordOfChaos

Hm

Going to 60 FPS, has there been any unforeseen consequences of this?

Yeah! It's four times more work compared to doing 30 frames. It's not just doubling, and the team had to go through a lot of different approaches to keep the same quality as they had in the past. And the fact that we got the game running in 60 frames in all modes is a feat and we're all really proud of it. Some of the challenges we came upon, just to give an example, is the tuning of the game that had to accommodate 60 frames. We couldn't just use what we had from 30 frames, and this affects how the sticks feel, how many shots it takes to kill someone, the physics and so on, and it had to be re-tuned and touched up. Some we knew about before we started, and other problems we stumbled upon during the development.

You know, I remember replaying Halo CE and 2 on PC, even with modest hardware you could max out those old titles and I was running at a solid 60fps. Even with a locked 60 I remember noticing animations (say, the grunts dance-walk) still looked like they were running at a much lower frequency than the frame was outputting at (probably the consoles original 30).

Yea trying to settle on a setup for 5 with the potential of the 4 paddles, all selectable, on the back and then the different sticks, stick adjustments in software, and either full or hair trigger settings is going to take me a little while to dial in my ideal configuration. I'll probably play with whatever Halo 5 specific profiles they ship with as I would guess the pro team guys have been working with this for a little while now.

I'm gonna probably go bumper jumper with left trigger assigned to smart scope, one of the paddles assigned to grenade, one assigned to thrust. Haven't decided what I'll do for duck and switch weapons; if I like the paddles maybe I'll throw both of those on as well. Basically I want to be able to do as much as possible without taking my thumbs off the analogs in order to maintain maximum control. And I'm definitely going hair triggers.

-Ryn

Banned
After getting his bones reinforced with unbreakable carbon polymers and plaster transfixings, Chief sets out on his greatest mission yet: finding his surrogate father who supplied the materials.

Spoilers: Chief's dad is a building and gets destroyed by the Guardian, only to die in Chief's arms.
9.8/10

Would laugh again

jet1911

Hm

You know, I remember replaying Halo CE and 2 on PC, even with modest hardware you could max out those old titles and I was running at a solid 60fps. Even with a locked 60 I remember noticing animations (say, the grunts dance-walk) still looked like they were running at a much lower frequency than the frame was outputting at (probably the consoles original 30).

The animations of Halo CE on PC were capped at 30fps.

The emblems are pre-sets now and all you can do it change their colors. There's a triforce emblem but you can't make it look like the one I've always used since.

Yeah that kinda sucks but honestly, emblems are the least of my worries. They were fun when they appeared online like in Halo2. They became kinda pointless when that was removed from the series.

Fuck, I won't be able to use the emblem I've been using since Halo 2. That sucks.

RIP 2006-2015
UJR00wV.png

Join the club. My Halo 2 logo was only in 2. So I picked a new one for 3 and Reach. Then even the logos I used in those games were removed so I refused to move off of the default dog tags, still changed the colour though. Halo 5 has tonnes of emblems and I will be happy to try them in all their colours too.

DrBo42

I want to read this thread but I'm afraid of story spoilers. Do I have reason to be scared? Or are the spoilers very light?

Some pretty heavy Drake spoilers. Some GIFs of new AI routines and stuff I personally wish I didn't see. I would pass if I had the willpower. Story spoiler-wise there were links and footage of Blue Team's introduction. No real plot details though.

Do we know if the classic game-types are coming back and if custom games are as customizable as before? Like Assault, juggernaut, neutral flag, etc..

Trey

Looking at war zone...

Running forever to get into fights, enemies with health bars? I dunno about this. I'll try it out at the least.

Leyasu

Banned
Ready Up Live had a video showing the different REQ packs you get. Bronze, Silver and Gold and how you get particular cards that increase the frequency of gaining a particular weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmk72RXZJVo

Not sure if that is what you're looking for.

I saw that already. More of what you need to do to get armour and stuff. The weapon reqs are pretty self explanatory. But armour/helmets and other cosmetics are still a mystery.

Raide

I saw that already. More of what you need to do to get armour and stuff. The weapon read are pretty self explanatory. But armour/helmets and other cosmetics are still a mystery.

They come in REQ packs. The above video shows you get visors and armour parts mixed in with Warzone items.

Glass

Looking at war zone...

Running forever to get into fights, enemies with health bars? I dunno about this. I'll try it out at the least.

With the running to fights thing, I thought the same when the first Warzone map was shown, but as people get used to the mode/map, I think the 24 players are going to be bumping into one another a lot more.
If you control more then one base, you can choose to spawn at any one of them, which I'm sure some won't pick up on that right away. Then as you get used to the maps you'll probably learn to navigate them better (there are grav cannons on top of buildings, mongooses placed near captured points by the looks of it etc, and thats without even mentioning vehicles you can spawn in or others you can hop on).

It looks like there's a bunch of ways to minimise your downtime, but it's just a case of people learning them.

Top Bottom