• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

GhaleonEB

All of this has happened before, and it will happen again.

Dare.jpg

*shudders*

We've come a long way.

Three person co-op is tight.

Come on, you know there's an easy fix for that. Kill off all of blue team except Chief. Kill off Locke.

Merge the two teams.

That's a horrible idea.

Edit: Also, I find the following funny. All the things I've seen in Halo 5's first three missions that make me excited are all the things that were missing in Halo 4's campaign. I'm legitimately somewhat confused why someone who enjoyed 4 would be super-hyped for 5 (based on the enjoyment of 4) given that 5 seems to be going back to Bungie-era Halo games for campaign inspiration/design.

Vire

2 has the best story, 3 has the best campaign. 4 gets unfairly shit on, but its now where near the best halo.End of story.

I feel like I'm in bizarro world, did any of you even play Reach? Ya know, the game with the actual best story and best ending of a game in the series.

I wish I could have seen the glorious light with all of you, but couldn't bring myself to watch any of the streams. I will find religion in Halo 5 on the 27th :).

Edit: Got my digital copy all preloaded and ready to go. Just need to know when to set my console in standby to get the Day 1 update prior to launch.

I feel like I'm in bizarro world, did any of you even play Reach? Ya know, the game with the actual best story and best ending of a game in the series.

I didn't think the story was as good as some other Halos, but the ending was top-notch - the end-end, not the PoA end.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

I dunno what it is about reach, but it was missing something. Perhaps it was just missing the mystery of other halo titles and alien worlds. It could be that simple, but its not my favorite despite doing a lot very very well. And you are right, the end sequence was incredible.

Hawk269

I dare not to go into the spoiler thread for obvious reasons, but those that have, have people talked about how performance is and the resolution changing? Any feedback more on a technical level as far as frames dropping or any other oddities? I am trying to stay in the dark story wise, so just curious how the game is holding up on the tech side of things.

Madness

So i take it you haven't read the Forerunner Saga

Dude. The games are the primary medium for Halo. I shouldn't have to read books, comics, read online wikis to know who characters are, what they're doing there or what their motive is. It's called good storytelling to keep everything contained, concise, and informative.

I don't think Halo 5 will have this issue like Frank said. But I don't care for the line of thinking saying, hey to understand this, read up on the thousand other things that came out in the meantime if you really care.

I should be able to go from Halo CE to Halo 5 and not have to be confused about a single character or storyline introduced. This doesn't mean they have to explain everything though.

Madness

I dare not to go into the spoiler thread for obvious reasons, but those that have, have people talked about how performance is and the resolution changing? Any feedback more on a technical level as far as frames dropping or any other oddities? I am trying to stay in the dark story wise, so just curious how the game is holding up on the tech side of things.

Double post, but from what I saw, I was kind of blown away. Maybe I haven't gamed on PC or played most of the new games, but unlike say playing the Black Ops 3 beta after having last played Modern Warfare 3 last gen and not being too impressed by the visuals, I though Halo 5 looked good. I couldn't pick out any resolution changes though others mentioned they saw when resolution changed because things would shimmer.

There was a point when they were shooting Prometheans with a light rifle, I thought all the effects and the ambience was great. Easily better than H2A and Halo 4.

Vire

I haven't noticed any framerate drops in the 60 FPS footage that I watched. I'm sure it may dip to 58 or 57 on the odd occasion, but it's not a big deal at all. The resolution changes are hard to notice on internet streaming, but I don't foresee it being a major issue.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it.

The gameplay footage I saw today was pretty on-point regarding FPS. I watched the IGN footage but not all of it, skimmed around a lot during the gameplay segments. Couldn't find a single instance where I noticed a noticeable FPS drop (and trust me, I can spot that stuff).

Hard to tell resolution stuff but the IQ was a bit hit and miss. In parts, the game looked absolutely gorgeous but I'd ascribe that to the sense of scale and how much is going on. I won't go too much into IQ because Youtube footage and all but it didn't look particularly great. Ruins some of the art design of the game I feel.

I Haven't actually watched any footage (been listening to people play) but there are a lot of oohs, Aaahs, wows, and "this game looks great" so I'm assuming most journalists are impressed.

Regarding framedrops I think the game is designed to drop pixels and not frames so it should be a steady 60fps (or at least it was when digital foundry put this game through the ropes back when this thread was created).

Hawk269

Thanks for all the replies in regards to tech side of things for frame rate and resolution changes. From what I say before hand, I thought the game looked great, but not that people are playing it, was just curious about the tech side of things.

Another question that is not spoiler material, has anyone already beat the game on heroic and said how long it is? I don't rush through Halo games, I like taking my time and I am not a uber gamer so Heroic is usually a great challenge for me. Just curious as to the length of the game on Heroic? Is Heroic the same challenge as the other games? I finished all Halo games on Heroic and loved the challenge they provided to me.

Madness

They sent out code that far ahead but reviews are still only the day before? Is that confirmed?

I think Frank said it's midnight 25th and it's to give reviewers enough time to beat the campaign and also play multi-player in the closed warzone/breakout/arena modes that probably only have the employees and journos/reviewers in them. Pretty much give them enough time to give a comprehensive review.

That's just the way it is now, embargoes go up within 2-3 days of launch.

They sent out code that far ahead but reviews are still only the day before? Is that confirmed?

I'm guessing its because multiplayer isn't actually available to play yet (it wasn't in the giant bomb play through) which make a me a bit nervous because it was the exact same thing with MCC even though I have very little reason to doubt that it actually works.

Kibbles

Yeah, Giantbomb mentions it at the beginning of their stream. Right now multiplayer is locked away and they'll get patches with the Multiplayer over the next week and a half.

Thanks for all the replies in regards to tech side of things for frame rate and resolution changes. From what I say before hand, I thought the game looked great, but not that people are playing it, was just curious about the tech side of things.

Another question that is not spoiler material, has anyone already beat the game on heroic and said how long it is? I don't rush through Halo games, I like taking my time and I am not a uber gamer so Heroic is usually a great challenge for me. Just curious as to the length of the game on Heroic? Is Heroic the same challenge as the other games? I finished all Halo games on Heroic and loved the challenge they provided to me.

To my knowledge, no one has actually gotten a copy of the game and beaten it yet. Most of the stuff in the spoiler thread is from the 343 sanctioned 3 mission previews that came out today.

However, when I saw the IGN dude play legendary, it looked much easier then past Halo games. I can't tell if that was player proficiency or not but I didn't even realize it was legendary until he mentioned it.

Madness

343 user research testing showed 8-12 hours for normal on campaign. Heroic is obviously much tougher, so I'd imagine a 12-15 hour for Heroic? Since you say you're not an Uber gamer or speed runner, I think you'll find it'll give you at least 14+ hours on Heroic (just guessing) and that it'll give you a challenge since though they did give you AI, enemy AI is greatly improved and changed. I did see people die quite a bit today, but I don't know if they were playing Heroic or Normal.

That's a viable argument for sure! Can't disagree.

Halo 4 to me was the best because it was the first one where I felt a much closer connection to the Master Chief as a character, and the one in which it was the easiest to believe that I was actually him. No game in the franchise does a superior job of handling the Chief and Cortana's individual characters, and no other game in the franchise does the sheer importance of that relationship that they share more justice. Not a single game in the franchise shows the Master Chief off more than Halo 4 did. He looked every bit as legendary as his reputation had always suggested, but a very good balance was struck between reminding the player that he's very much still a human being with actual feelings also. Also something else seemingly small that I never realized just how much it took away from the games, was the fact that the Master Chief simply didn't speak at all during gameplay. It added so much to the experience to actually listen as the Chief interacted properly with Cortana mid gameplay and as things were developing around the player, as opposed to just being totally silent until a cutscene came around. It doesn't strike you just how jarring that actually is till you experience Halo 4.

I also loved the pacing of the overall campaign more so than any of the other games I played. It just felt really damn good to me. And as someone who really enjoys the hell out of the books, Halo 4 was the first game in the series that struck me as embracing all of that as much more than just fill in the gap material. And maybe calling it fill in the gap material in previous games is a bit much, but Halo 4 finally gave it to me with the level of emotion and quality that I always felt should've been there a lot sooner.

This is gonna hurt but I have to go dark... too hyped for this and if someone spoiler it for me because I'm too curious,I'd hate myself...Good luck to me and see you guys on launch day!

Enjoy!!

Random17

No Halo game has attempted to explain the events before it particularly well.

CE barely mentioned Reach, Halo 2 hardly referred to First Strike, Halo 3 did not mention Uprising, Halo 4 did not mention a lot of things.

However, the first three games were self sufficient because the plot went from start to finish without needing the EU.

Halo 5 seems to be the same so far. That's already an improvement over Halo 4.

343i expects you to go with the fact that Blue team is here, Buck is a Spartan etc.

These are background events, not plot points.

I saw all three missions, and 343i wasted no time with starting the plot. The only thing that pissed me off was a spoilery event that I can't mention.

Outrun

Stinkles, if you are reading this.

Any chance of getting some Halo 5 liveries in Forza 6?

Perhaps a Ford truck or something?

Glass

Naked Eli is finding some great hidden stuff,
jumping on spartan team mates to get to high ledges, finding rare weapons like we've seen from Warzone, extra weapons stashed away etc

Hypothetically, If I pre-loaded the digital game but also had a disc copy of the game early would that activate my pre-loaded version or would I have to keep using the disc until the game released?

On Xbox One the disc install and digital install are the same and are exchangeable so if you pre-load your digital version you don't even to have to wait for the disc install.

xboxnerd

Banned
Naked Eli is finding some great hidden stuff,
jumping on spartan team mates to get to high ledges, finding rare weapons like we've seen from Warzone, extra weapons stashed away etc

Wow the Hunters are now real boss. Some true challenges.

SwolBro

Banned
god this bothers me so much:

the graphics are finally top notch for Halo, and what do they give us in MP? the same tired and toyish looking Red VS Blue. And not even the redish or bluish hues like the ones found in the campaign, such as locks armor, no, we get real Mattel looking construction toy looking colors.

It's so fucking mind boggling to me. I don't get it at all.

Ramirez

god this bothers me so much:

the graphics are finally top notch for Halo, and what do they give us in MP? the same tired and toyish looking Red VS Blue. And not even the redish or bluish hues like the ones found in the campaign, such as locks armor, no, we get real Mattel looking construction toy looking colors.

It's so fucking mind boggling to me. I don't get it at all.

Visual clarity>>>>>>looking gritty or realistic.

Top Bottom