• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

RoKKeR

i just don't understand what all the fuss is about in regards to introducing plot points to fill in the gap for non lore folks, if you really cared about the story in any of the halo campaigns then you would pick up the books, as well as comics and keep up to date with the halo world, if your not that interested then just run through the campaign and enjoy the action

I could not disagree more here. I have been a Halo fan for a long ass time, love the campaigns and am generally engaged with what is happening in the story, but have little interest or time to explore the lore outside of the games. Thus, it's always appreciated when the story is primarily contained within the campaign.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I really don't understand why The Fall of Reach can't just unlock a day or two before the 27th for those who preordered. I really hope they change this.

Yeah pretty dumb thing to do. Let the fan watch it and get hype while they wait for the Halo 5. What good will it do unlocking at the same time as the game.

Tawpgun

Put your knickers in the fridge. The characters and their relationship with chief is explained in and throughout the game. It's in cinematics, vignettes and frequent meaningful character dialog, over several hours. But the escalation to abject freak out in zero seconds without context is why I might retire from the Internet for a couple of weeks. Getting too old for this.

All of this has happened before, and it will happen again.

Dare.jpg

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
gameplay wise not so much, story wise by far the most clear and understanding story done

I have to strongly disagree with story wise. The romantic subplot and Didact's motivations were all poorly handled, and considering they are two of the main story pillars...

The clearest and easiest to grasp story is Halo: CE. I kinda miss the simplicity.

Kibbles

i agree stinkles, plus for everybody complaining about the "lack" of info in regards to blue team, go read and find out about them if you really care that much, OR watch the animated fall of reach series that 343 industries is releasing for all of you lazy folks out there that want to complain about not introducing characters properly and then go on to say "but i don't want to have to read 3 books to get who these characters are" well if you care that much than pick up a halo book and start reading if not then just play the game!

Well in my particular case, I know who Blue Team are, it's just more of how did he get back in touch with Blue Team?

Been watching the Giant Bomb stream, looking great so far. 40min in.

watership

Yeah, Frankie looking at me like I'm a crazy person for being skeptical after the Didact shit they pulled in Halo 4. Nah son.

And I love how Jeff from Giant Bomb just shoulder rams and obliterates grunts sending them 40 feet in the air. Dude is having the time of his life.

Which is.. weird right? Jeff never gets that excited about video games lately unless it's batshit crazy, Trackmainia, or the possibility of another Defjam fighting game.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
This concern about the game needing extensive backgrounding for "new" characters always makes me feel like I'm in bizarro world. 99.9999% of stories told by humans to other humans involve characters with pre-existing relationships and histories which are then revealed and explored in the story. Halo 4's antagonist could've been someone everybody knew like the prophet of Truth back from the dead, the Gravemind or Voldemort and some people still would have been confused because understanding the plot relied on an info-dump in the middle of a level.

Thats it I am going dark. Just watch greenskull stream a few minutes of shooting a Knight and i am done. Locking my twitter account from dipshits who will tweet me the ending and i am probably not checking any pms from here until the 28th.

I had all the Halo game twists ruined for me

Halo 2: Someone posted the spoiler on the xbox forums.

Halo 3: When Halo 3 launched I had to get my 360 repaired and didnt get it till 2 weeks later. I texted my friend asking how Halo 3 was and he said "Getting Cortana back was difficult" Fuck

Halo Reach: doesnt really count.

Halo 4: Someone tweeted at me on twitter telling me the girls fate.

Halo 5 I want to go in as blind as i can.

Edit: Halo CE i didnt pick up till like summer 2003 and EGM told me the ending but that was months after the game released. Doesnt count.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Shamelessly stolen from RuL chat, what if there were revivals in breakout?

Vire

what didactic shit are you talking about?
-That there are really two didacts, iso and ur didact
-and that the ur didact (H4 didact) was killed in halo escalation (comic book)
(none of this was mentioned in the game)

if people really cared about these things (which i do) they would read up and do their research

I've lamented a thousand times over this issue on this very forum, so I rather not get into it again, especially since this thread is about Halo 5.

But mainly due to the fact that you have to go out of your way and find all the terminals to have even a base level understanding on who this character is and what his motivations are. Mind you, he isn't some ancillary character, nope, he's the central antagonist of the game.

Anyway, moving on.

This concern about the game needing extensive backgrounding for "new" characters always makes me feel like I'm in bizarro world. 99.9999% of stories told by humans to other humans involve characters with pre-existing relationships and histories which are then revealed and explored in the story. Halo 4's antagonist could've been someone everybody knew like the prophet of Truth back from the dead, the Gravemind or Voldemort and some people still would have been confused because understanding the plot relied on an info-dump in the middle of a level.

Precisely.

mchiodo1

Neo Member
I could not disagree more here. I have been a Halo fan for a long ass time, love the campaigns and am generally engaged with what is happening in the story, but have little interest or time to explore the lore outside of the games. Thus, it's always appreciated when the story is primarily contained within the campaign.

But the actual stories being told in h4 and h5 can be understood without the need of any additional content, its the back story that everyone here is complaining about and my point that i am trying to make is if everyone cared so much about the back story of these characters they would do there research about them whether before hand or after in terms of completing the campaign

mchiodo1

Neo Member
I've lamented a thousand times over this issue on this very forum, so I rather not get into it again, especially since this thread is about Halo 5.

But mainly due to the fact that you have to go out of your way and find all the terminals to have even a base level understanding on who this character is and what his motivations are. Mind you, he isn't some ancillary character, nope, he's the central antagonist of the game.

Anyway, moving on.

So i take it you haven't read the Forerunner Saga

Vire

I kinda agree, but it looks awesome... Like wearing a high tech AR helmet. I'm torn.

Looks immersive. rationally noisy...

Seems like it's toned down for multiplayer which makes sense, I kinda like the Metroid Prime vibe going on in SP.

Trup1aya

Seems like it's toned down for multiplayer which makes sense, I kinda like the Metroid Prime vibe going on in SP.

Exactly... It's not only tolerable in single player, but I find myself, against my normal philosophies, liking it a lot. So long as MP remains toned down.

Bsigg12

Some media people need to party up and then grab some screens of the 8 different HUDs since each Spartan in the campaign has a unique HUD.

Kibbles

Hypothetically, If I pre-loaded the digital game but also had a disc copy of the game early would that activate my pre-loaded version or would I have to keep using the disc until the game released?

BraXzy

Btw 343, I may not look like it, but I am secretly a big YouTuber/Streamer. I think I was missed off your list so feel free to send me the digital code through PM for this ty.

They won't suspect a thing.

Monsy_1.jpg

Vire

Some media people need to party up and then grab some screens of the 8 different HUDs since each Spartan in the campaign has a unique HUD.

Oh that's cool, I forgot about that. I think I remember reading that somewhere along the way. Does each player get different weapons when they spawn in? For example, would Linda spawn in with a sniper every time?

DrBo42

Oh that's cool, I forgot about that. I think I remember reading that somewhere along the way. Does each player get different weapons when they spawn in? For example, would Linda spawn in with a sniper every time?

Pretty sure the character select shows different load outs and minor ability differences.

4 easily had the best Halo campaign out of all of em. By miles.

This looks to take the crown though.

It looks like it has the chance to do just that. People probably think anyone that believes Halo 4 is the best Halo title is crazy or something, but I think Halo 4 gets a great deal of the hate it does because it isn't made by Bungie, and not because it wasn't an incredible (and likely also the best) entry in the entire franchise.

Some things that Bungie largely got a pass for, 343i receives all this unjust criticism. People now act as if you weren't able to get loads more from playing Halo Reach if you actually bothered to read the book beforehand. And that wasn't even the only book that gave you much greater insight into what was taking place in Halo Reach the game. There was also a whole slew of super intriguing stuff that could be gleaned from having read Halo: Ghosts of Onyx. Before 343i ever took over the franchise it had always been more rewarding and enjoyable to play the Halo titles if you also happened to read up on the extended fiction.

4 easily had the best Halo campaign out of all of em. By miles.

This looks to take the crown though.

I'd say CE had the best story followed by Halo 4. CE gets credit for me because it sets up the whole universe. Halo 4's main story to me was all about Chief and Cortana and I loved it.

It looks like it has the chance to do just that. People probably think anyone that believes Halo 4 is the best Halo title is crazy or something, but I think Halo 4 gets a great deal of the hate it does because it isn't made by Bungie

How have you managed to avoid the tons of criticism about Halo 4's cramped corridors, ugly non-talky Covies, terrible weapons, weapon de-spawning, bullet sponge Prometheans, horrible sound mix of a forgettable music score, etc for all these years.

No, its definitely cuz Bungie's name wasn't on the cover. You got us!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
2 has the best story, 3 has the best campaign. 4 gets unfairly shit on, but its now where near the best halo.End of story.

Top Bottom