• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Holy fuck those Hunters. The rage mode when their buddy dies is insane. I was gonna play through on Legendary my first go but I don't wanna get frustrated.

Random17

Reminds me of the Hunters of Reach.

People are making a big mistake; in Halo 5 I don't think we should be coming close to Hunters.

Angling is going to be important. They are vulnerable from the side and are less likely to turn around then directly behind them.

Vire

I haven't played sInce Reach. Should I start on Heroic or Normal?

Heroic from the looks of it, seems like it's continued the tradition of "the way Halo is meant to be played".

I watched a bit of the Giant Bomb stream and they were playing on normal and it seemed laughably easy. Little to no penalty for sillily running up and punching literally every enemy. Unless you want to do that... which is a totally valid way to play.

cackhyena

Heroic from the looks of it, seems like it's continued the tradition of "the way Halo is meant to be played".

I watched a bit of the Giant Bomb stream and they were playing on normal and it seemed laughably easy. Little to no penalty for sillily running up and punching literally every enemy. Unless you want to do that... which is a totally valid way to play.
Nah, I'd like a little challenge. Especially now that you're always in a squad. Thanks.

The tactical and methodical play on Legendary looks delicious.

I think I'm gonna dive into Legendary first. Looks like the way to be truly immersed.

Ramirez

Shamelessly stolen from RuL chat, what if there were revivals in breakout?

I've said this ever since Trials of Osiris kicked off in Destiny. The base gameplay of Breakout is so boring without a revive mechanic. Winning a round when you're outnumbered is pretty much out of the question unless the other team is just extremely bad. The mechanic is already in the game, so I would imagine it could be ported over to MP. Put a stacking penalty on deaths, just like in ToO.

Madness

Yea, this is definitely the reason for the color choice, without doubt.

If anything, I want the Spartans to look like the early released shiny red and blue they showed first. Visual clarity should trump realism easily. I hate the fact Halo 4 mp had a more washed out look. I need the bright basic colors and saturation.

If anything, I want the Spartans to look like the early released shiny red and blue they showed first. Visual clarity should trump realism easily. I hate the fact Halo 4 mp had a more washed out look. I need the bright basic colors and saturation.

I agree with this. The ease of enemy identification, especially the blue vs red clarity against backgrounds or geometry, was a major win for most of Halo MP games. It does seem to be tapering off in more recent titles.

The classic Halo blues, greens and purples should always be front and centre for campaign.

SwolBro

Banned
Visual clarity>>>>>>looking gritty or realistic.

that's nonsense. you mean to tell me you wouldn't get visual clarity with one of the campaign characters being selected? that's complete bullshit.

it's a really poor aesthetic decision on 343s part. really poor. especially since "looking cool" is very coveted by gamers today. look at destiny, is there no visual clarity there?

come on. i'm not even one to care much about that kind of stuff but at this point it's ridiculous.

that's nonsense. you mean to tell me you wouldn't get visual clarity with one of the campaign characters being selected? that's complete bullshit.

it's a really poor aesthetic decision on 343s part. really poor. especially since "looking cool" is very coveted by gamers today. look at destiny, is there no visual clarity there?

come on. i'm not even one to care much about that kind of stuff but at this point it's ridiculous.

You sure?

Random17

yes, i am sure. for most games i dont' care, but most games don't completely take you out of the "world" during MP. Can't believe people aren't tired of Red vs Blue yet. Damn.
RvB is Halo in the same way that the Master Chief is Halo.

Too iconic {and good} to change.

yes, i am sure. for most games i dont' care, but most games don't completely take you out of the "world" during MP. Can't believe people aren't tired of Red vs Blue yet. Damn.

I'm pretty sensitive to visual problems, but I don't see the problem with red vs blue.

*shrug*

Ramirez

Um, considering visual clarity was a huge problem in the beta, no I don't think it's bullshit at all. I think they should have went with the shiny plastic look they had as renders when initially showing the game in MP.

Random17

I just realized the first three missions only took 70 minutes on normal for IGN, including cutscenes.

That translates to 6 hours overall?

Sai

yes, i am sure. for most games i dont' care, but most games don't completely take you out of the "world" during MP. Can't believe people aren't tired of Red vs Blue yet. Damn. And particularly this red vs blue hue, everyone looks like big Jolly Ranchers.
Red vs Blue's kind of a staple. And offering darker 'n grittier shades of color would only cause problems when it comes to identifying enemy players against darker backdrops, which can be an especially annoying issue for those into the more competitive aspect of the game.

SwolBro

Banned
RvB is Halo in the same way that the Master Chief is Halo.

Too iconic {and good} to change.

Yeah but instead of looking like one of these guys
NVDZkGW.jpg

We have to look like this
F2YOrJr.jpg

Call me crazy but i just don't understand why they'd do that.

Red vs Blue's kind of a staple. And offering darker 'n grittier shades of color would only cause problems when it comes to identifying enemy players against darker backdrops, which can be an especially annoying issue for those into the more competitive aspect of the game.

There's so many ways around this problem. But then again sometimes things that are so obvious takes so long for some people to figure out. Like a different color HUD so everything wasn't sky blue and confusing....

Random17

It's Normal, of course you can blow through it.
Each mission seems shorter than its Halo 4 counterpart, and it appears as if Osiris to Blue Team is 2 to 1 in terms of missions.

Glassed is really short on normal. I'm surprised they considered it to be a separate mission. It's only 13 minutes long.

Just an observation.

Edit: IGN leaked mission names Reunion and Alliance, 7 and 9 respectively.

Yeah but instead of looking like one of these guys
NVDZkGW.jpg

We have to look like this
F2YOrJr.jpg

There's so many ways around this problem. But then again sometimes things that are so obvious takes so long for some people to figure out. Like a different color HUD so everything wasn't sky blue and confusing....

Honestly I can't say I disagree, the solid bright colors don't do it for me, and solid red armor looks really flashy and fakey. It is good for contrast though. I'd rather they fix other stuff about Halo 5's armor first. Some of them are cool no doubt, but there are certain things that just aren't pleasing to the eye. The under-mesh is too exposed and doesn't look right (almost looks like a Master Chief Halloween costume that someone would wear) and a lot of the armor pieces are overdone, there's a lack of sleek and sexy in comparison.

HTupolev

So that it's obvious that people are where they are and are on the team they're on.

Crisp, clear visual feedback is critical in Halo.

Different classes of Promethean Knight in Halo 4 had similar color layout. People complained about this, because it posed an obstruction to smooth Halo gameplay. 343i doesn't want to fall into that tarp again.

ryan299

Final multiplayer maps via Halopedia. 21 in total.

Arena
Orion – Forge
Pegasus – Forge
Coliseum
Eden
Empire
Fathom
Plaza
Regret
The Rig
Truth

Breakout
Altitude
Crossfire
Gambol
Trench
Trident

Warzone Assault
Array
Dispatch
Summit

Warzone
Escape from ARC
March on Stormbreak
Raid on Apex 7

Not to mention it would render the 1 out of 12 colorblind males completely non-competitive. Red and Blue are already tough against some backgrounds. Titanfall is the only game in recent memory to make concessions to the colorblind.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I think the bright colours look great *shrug*

Takes me back to pre-Reach MP. Which is a good thing.

So that it's obvious that people are where they are and are on the team they're on.

Crisp, clear visual feedback is critical in Halo.

Different classes of Promethean Knight in Halo 4 had similar color layout. People complained about this, because it posed an obstruction to smooth Halo gameplay. 343i doesn't want to fall into that tarp again.

Cheeky.

The streamers are allowed to show the first THREE missions right?
But why
Meridian mission is mission 4? Opening cutscene counts as mission 1?
So 8 actual maps and 5 of them are grey UNSC buildings? Also no Bloodgulch/Valhalla variant. Why?
Bloodgulch and Valhalla doesn't fit the 4v4 arena gametype like at all, they can only be BTB maps if they decided to remake them.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Is it actually possible to get a double ground pound in MP? Every time I see footage, and it looks like it's going to happen, it only kills one of the guys.

JackHerer

Is it actually possible to get a double ground pound in MP? Every time I see footage, and it looks like it's going to happen, it only kills one of the guys.

It was in the beta and still should be I just think it's a lot harder now that they narrowed the kill radius of GP.

2:40 for the first 3 missions in Legendary. 15 hours for the whole campaign in Legendary? Not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80dueBq1l_8

One or two additional hours for me, of course.

So 8 actual maps and 5 of them are grey UNSC buildings? Also no Bloodgulch/Valhalla variant. Why?

This. Only 8 Arena maps and 5 human themed. Quasi-identical.
Concerning Bloodgulch or Valhalla, you should wait for BTB to come ;) And there in Warzone.

ryan299

And I'm pretty sure Josh said on twitter that there's only six in the slayer playlist. Empire and Eden aren't currently in it.

Watched the first three missions and they looked really good. Just thought they were short, but it was normal so I'm sure it's not that bad.

And I'm pretty sure Josh said on twitter that there's only six in the slayer playlist. Empire and Eden aren't currently in it.

Watched the first three missions and they looked really good. Just thought they were short, but it was normal so I'm sure it's not that bad.

What the hell, I never noticed in the Launch Playlist post on Halo Waypoint that Empire and Eden were excluded from rotation. That is very odd, why would they not be in Team Slayer?

Top Bottom