• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Obviously I don't know how argeous it is, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but if the story means that much to people then do a little reading on the side.
This is one of the biggest complaints about Halo 4. You can't introduce some new characters that are going to spend the rest of the game with you and then not give some backstory on them. If you don't do that the player just won't care.

Create a backstory, make the player bond with those characters. That's how you do it - not putting them in the game and then go " Oh, just read the books".

Of course I'm optimistic about it and really hope 343i did it right this time.

EDIT:
Put your knickers in the fridge. The characters and their relationship with chief is explained in and throughout the game. It's in cinematics, vignettes and frequent meaningful character dialog, over several hours. But the escalation to abject freak out in zero seconds without context is why I might retire from the Internet for a couple of weeks. Getting too old for this.

And it seems like they did. I'm sorry Stinkles, didn't want to upset anyone - I just want Halo 5 to be really good. Sorry once again and thanks for the clarification.

Put your knickers in the fridge. The characters and their relationship with chief is explained in the game. But the escalation to abject freak out in zero seconds without context is why I might retire from the Internet for a couple of weeks. Getting too old for this.

No stay we love you :3

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Put your knickers in the fridge. The characters and their relationship with chief is explained in and throughout the game. It's in cinematics, vignettes and frequent meaningful character dialog, over several hours. But the escalation to abject freak out in zero seconds without context is why I might retire from the Internet for a couple of weeks. Getting too old for this.

SEE PEOPLE.

Thanks, Frank.

Juanfp

Time to go dark

And now we scared Frank.

see5harp

Still don't really know what "You're not the only one here because of him" means. Inspired to be soldiers by him?

I didn't want to say anything that spoils it for people who are blacked out, but that's exactly the thing that make it seem like they would go into his back story later in the game.

Frankie for president.

chekhonte

Prometheans behave completely differently than in 4. Weapons act differently as well, and weak points were made to the Knights. Fret not.

Another person pointed this out to me as well. I didn't know about the weapon differences which is exactly what I wanted to hear. In H4 they all just felt all samey with a couple of exceptions.

I also like how the prometheans now have visual indicators to show that they're damaged analogous to the covenant shield popping. That was something sorely missing from H4.

I'm getting excited about the game now. It seems that 343 is willing to examine and correct their mistakes and fills me with hope about the future of the halo franchise

Phew. Was getting nervous there for a bit :p

I really want this game to be perfect...

Or at least perfect enough that my lowass standards aren't offended :p

Another person pointed this out to me as well. I didn't know about the weapon differences which is exactly what I wanted to hear. In H4 they all just felt all samey with a couple of exceptions.

I also like how the prometheans now have visual indicators to show that they're damaged analogous to the covenant shield popping. That was something sorely missing from H4.

I'm getting excited about the game now. It seems that 343 is willing to examine and correct their mistakes and fills me with hope about the future of the halo franchise

Yeah, the weapons are now all diversified. That doesn't mean they're all fascinating and exciting novelties, but they are different to their human counterparts.

RoKKeR

Nice, this is great to hear. Taking a lot to resist watching any streams. Might tune in to RUL's a bit here.

And take your internet leave my man, the game will speak for itself at this point. Thankfully it's looking really fucking good.

So, you're saying Buck is bad. Oh, and he's the game's final boss? And that this isn't even his final form? Spoilers.

Both. Like me. Although I likely won't buy another controller for quite a while now.
I'm inclined to go with the Xbox One Elite + Halo 5 LE but the Halo console already has the LE and it's quite cool.

No introduction to blue team? Ok this is bad, the hardcore fans of the game know
everything about them but the vast majority or players? nothing, nada :(

We got to know Noble 6 over the course of Reach and I'm sure the same will happen in Halo 5. Also the animated series comes with H5 which does what Halo Reach should have done which was follow the story of Blue Team.

Thank you Stinkles, have a great time on London ;)

Glass

Images like the one posted on previous page need to be kept in the spoilers thread, the 'spoilers' in this threads title refers to completely different coverage.

I find the lack of faith disgusting.

Game looks amazing. Hated prometheans in h4,but these look fun to fight and their weapons look far more satisfying. Good job 343.

mchiodo1

Neo Member
That'd be appreciated and welcome but these are the 3 Spartans most closest to the Chief, they're practically his family and hold a big presence in the Chief's conscience. You would think, and hope, that they get a substantial introduction, not thrown in real quick and possibly getting "info dumps" later in the game. The impact is lessened a great deal if the intro isn't standout.

they do have a substantial introduction its called the fall of reach animated series for those that aren't interested in reading or knowing about the halo lore

I'm not talking about the controllers. :p I don't have an Xbox One yet and want to buy one.

ahh my bad then

hmmm jeez that is a tough choice to make, honestly I'd go with the halo bundle simply because it comes with the game and that you could always get the elite controller later down the line when it's possibly cheaper

Madness

I'm not talking about the controllers. :p I don't have an Xbox One yet and want to buy one.

Depends on what's more important for you. The elite controller by itself is $150+. Plus the elite console comes with a faster hybrid sshd 1tb drive.

But the Halo 5 console comes with the unique color scheme, unique Locke controller, and the digital limited edition $99 game. With the Elite console you'll still have to buy Halo 5.

RoKKeR

they do have a substantial introduction its called the fall of reach animated series for those that aren't interested in reading or knowing about the halo lore

"We have a product for people who can't get online, it's called the Xbox 360."

I kid, I kid.
Wow I can't believe Mattrick actually said that.
It's a common concern because of how story elements were introduced in Halo 4, but it seems like that has been noted and the game will have more exposition worked into the story.

mchiodo1

Neo Member

i agree stinkles, plus for everybody complaining about the "lack" of info in regards to blue team, go read and find out about them if you really care that much, OR watch the animated fall of reach series that 343 industries is releasing for all of you lazy folks out there that want to complain about not introducing characters properly and then go on to say "but i don't want to have to read 3 books to get who these characters are" well if you care that much than pick up a halo book and start reading if not then just play the game!

Vire

AND VIRE IS ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

NO.

LET ME INTERNET RAGE.

ok <3

Still not crazy about literally having zero context on who these people are initially, but I'll take ya word for it. As long as its explained throughout the game, we are cool.

The rest looks legit amazing, didn't you read my other post? Or do you only come by when I start making a racket. :)

ahh my bad then

hmmm jeez that is a tough choice to make, honestly I'd go with the halo bundle simply because it comes with the game and that you could always get the elite controller later down the line when it's possibly cheaper

Depends on what's more important for you. The elite controller by itself is $150+. Plus the elite console comes with a faster hybrid sshd 1tb drive.

But the Halo 5 console comes with the unique color scheme, unique Locke controller, and the digital limited edition $99 game. With the Elite console you'll still have to buy Halo 5.
Yeah. Thank you for both opinions. I think I'm going to see if I can get the Elite console + Halo 5 LE, if not... then I'll buy the Xbox One Halo edition. Despite thinking it looks cool I prefer my consoles simple.

mchiodo1

Neo Member

I kid, I kid.
It's a common concern because of how story elements were introduced in Halo 4, but it seems like that has been noted and the game will have more exposition worked into the story.

i just don't understand what all the fuss is about in regards to introducing plot points to fill in the gap for non lore folks, if you really cared about the story (more so backstory) in any of the halo campaigns then you would pick up the books, as well as comics and keep up to date with the halo world, if your not that interested then just run through the campaign and enjoy the action

BraXzy

You know we all love you right? Please stay up and past release day :3

It'd be weird in Halo threads without papa Frank.

We all freak out a lot, since Halo is love and life and all, but most of the time we don't mean it.

I expected it to be that way for team Osiris since they are essentially new to everyone including Halo vets.

But I was expecting at least a somewhat in depth introduction to Blue team since they are established part of the lore that literally there isn't one mention of in the games themselves up until this point .

Unfuckingbelievable 343.

Arghh. So much for learning from the mistakes of Halo 4.

These unbelievable rush to judgments are always something to watch.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I went through the experience of freaking out over something I thought was in the game that actually turned out to be good. Save the mad for when you actually play it or see the whole thing.

I've been saying this for years though lol.

Vire

I kid, I kid.

Yeah, Frankie looking at me like I'm a crazy person for being skeptical after the Didact shit they pulled in Halo 4. Nah son.

And I love how Jeff from Giant Bomb just shoulder rams and obliterates grunts sending them 40 feet in the air. Dude is having the time of his life.

mchiodo1

Neo Member
Halo 4 happened, b

in terms of story h4 was the best one yet, i find myself back tracking way too often in h1-h3 trying to figure just what the hell the story is about and why i should care about these characters (not the main characters of course) more so then i ever had to do with h4

in terms of story h4 was the best one yet, i find myself back tracking way too often in h1-h3 trying to figure just what the hell the story is about and why i should care about these characters (not the main characters of course) more so then i ever had to do with h4

Halo 4 was the best Halo so I'm pretty hyped for Halo 5.

mchiodo1

Neo Member
Yeah, Frankie looking at me like I'm a crazy person for being skeptical after the Didact shit they pulled in Halo 4. Nah son.

And I love how Jeff from Giant Bomb just shoulder rams and obliterates grunts sending them 40 feet in the air. Dude is having the time of his life.

what didactic shit are you talking about?
-That there are really two didacts, iso and ur didact
-and that the ur didact (H4 didact) was killed in halo escalation (comic book)
(none of this was mentioned in the game)

if people really cared about these things (which i do) they would read up and do their research

Lingitiz

Jeff seems really enthusiastic about the game considering his general indifference or "hey it's another Halo" attitude over the last few years. Good to see.

Dynasty8

I really don't understand why The Fall of Reach can't just unlock a day or two before the 27th for those who preordered. I really hope they change this.

Gather 'round the fire kids. It's time to tell the story of John 117 and the Blue Team. As little Johnny slept in his bed one peaceful night in the outer colonies...

Top Bottom