• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Vire

That Swords of Sanghelios mission looks to be the best yet... Skipped around, but damn, reminds me of a Halo 3 level.

I think it still captured that feeling of awe and wonder of being on a mysterious planet even though you have other Spartans with you along for the journey and the actual scale of the level is fantastic. It's not the biggest level it terms of play space, (we aren't talking anything like Tsavo Highway), but structures and caves tower high into the sky.

I wanna finish my thought on the halo thread they just closed:

Breakout looks super fun, the only thing i see with it (from playing it in the beta) is that you have to be in the mood for that type of gameplay since its a more stressful type of playlist. Thats why i dont like it being in Arena. I dont expect wanting to play Breakout when i go into Arena. But the mode itself is kinda like a better swat imo. Itll be more "niche" but it'll do well i think.

Flipyap

Because he was a playable character, Halo has always told its stories from the main characters pov. The opening scenes in H2 where The Arbiter is on trial was a big hint to me, that we'd be playing as him. If he wasn't a playable character in H2, no way we'd have got that scene and the subsequent Arbiter only moments.
And yet, Tartarus's and the Prophets' roles and goals were perfectly clear. Even the Gravemind wasn't that hard to understand as long as you don't get hung up on the whole "talking plant" thing.

I wanna finish my thought on the halo thread they just closed:

Breakout looks super fun, the only thing i see with it (from playing it in the beta) is that you have to be in the mood for that type of gameplay since its a more stressful type of playlist. Thats why i dont like it being in Arena. I dont expect wanting to play Breakout when i go into Arena. But the mode itself is kinda like a better swat imo. Itll be more "niche" but it'll do well i think.

I'm all about Breakout. Gives it that old Rainbow Six tension.

mchiodo1

Neo Member
And yet, Tartarus's and the Prophets' roles and goals were perfectly clear. Even the Gravemind wasn't that hard to understand as long as you don't get hung up on the whole "talking plant" thing.

Are sure you truly understand the gravemind theres a lot to it actually

NMFried

Just started my copy last night.

The game. Feels. Amazing. But, it doesn't feel like Halo. It's a wonderfully crafted shooter, but it's void of everything that made me love the gameplay of the first three for what it was. To be fair, I wasn't the biggest fan of Halo 4.

What exactly wasn't clear about the Didact's roles and goals? I can understand people being confused as to who he is, but it was kinda obvious he'd be an adversary to MC and it seemed pretty clear that he wanted to prevent Humanity from claiming the Mantle.

Halo 5 pre-loaded and ready to get nasty. Can't wait!

That's great! More games should provide this. Colorblindness isn't exactly rare. How do the colorblind
options work in Destiny? Is it mostly just HUD elements like Titanfall?

It changes the HUD and certain environment/item colors. It's pretty solid, I'd say. Definitely a step up.

What exactly wasn't clear about the Didact's roles and goals? I can understand people being confused as to who he is, but it was kinda obvious he'd be an adversary to MC and it seemed pretty clear that he wanted to prevent Humanity from claiming the Mantle.

Yeah I dunno. H4's story was pretty straightforward. Between the cutscenes and the terminals, it was all laid out really well. Part of what set h4 apart from previous halo titles was the depths it went to with the lore. Very enjoyable, and rich with detail. The novels were just icing on the cake.

mchiodo1

Neo Member
Well, okay, now it's really convoluted, but I meant the Gravemind as it existed when it was introduced and until it died, before 343 introduced the Precursor dust concept.

i was just kidding, but seriously when first playing h2 people must have been like, where the hell did that giant plant come from, at least in h2a you can understand it is a flood form based off of what it looks like, in h2 first time i played i didn't know what it was or where it came from

mchiodo1

Neo Member
not sure how many more there going to make or if there going to do other helmets
its safe to say they chose locke because he's the leader of Osiris, and i guess they chose kelly because her helmets bad ass and because we already have the h3 chief helmet, fred would be ok but everyone would complain that they want chief, and lindas helmet looks way too complicated to make lol, but i would pay a shit load to have lindas helmet

Back-reading this thread. Halo 4's storytelling being compared favorably to Halo 1s. Requests for Blue vs Red visual clarity to be sacrificed in return for, uh, nothing. Killzone 2 aesthetic. ADS fans.

Man if ya'll don't like Halo, then just leave, b. Battlefront comes out in a month.

LordOfChaos

Not to mention it would render the 1 out of 12 colorblind males completely non-competitive. Red and Blue are already tough against some backgrounds. Titanfall is the only game in recent memory to make concessions to the colorblind.

I saw some colorblind options for various types in the Phantom Pain PC settings

Back-reading this thread. Halo 4's storytelling being compared favorably to Halo 1s. Requests for Blue vs Red visual clarity to be sacrificed in return for, uh, nothing. Killzone 2 aesthetic. ADS fans.

Man if ya'll don't like Halo, then just leave, b. Battlefront comes out in a month.

Lol. Get 'em

mchiodo1

Neo Member

wasn't actually comparing halo 4 to halo 1 was saying how u can take them both for the simple story that they are telling in the game, but everyone knows theres more to that story thats being told and we clearly saw that in h2-h3, I'm saying hopefully well see that continuation for halo 4 in h5-h6 I'm in no way comparing the two stories, nothing will ever have the simplicity of h1 (good thing :))

not sure how many more there going to make or if there going to do other helmets
its safe to say they chose locke because he's the leader of Osiris, and i guess they chose kelly because her helmets bad ass and because we already have the h3 chief helmet, fred would be ok but everyone would complain that they want chief, and lindas helmet looks way too complicated to make lol, but i would pay a shit load to have lindas helmet

I'll pay them right now for a chief. Locke's is cool, but I want that iconic Halo look. I bet it's coming.

Flipyap

Pretty much... everything. He's entirely defined by his species. You don't learn why he's important, who he was, what he did. He's "a Forerunner" and that has to be enough.
He wants to prevent humanity from attaining the mantle... but to what end? As far as we know, he's alone in the universe. Once he kills off every human, he'll be left sitting in his floating ball, surrounded by robot dogs and "inferior" species. Why would he want that? It's like screaming "IF I CAN'T HAVE IT, NO ONE WILL" in the form of a galactic genocide. (ancientmanyellsatgalaxy.jpg)

mchiodo1

Neo Member
Pretty much... everything. He's entirely defined by his species. You don't learn why he's important, who he was, what he did. He's "a Forerunner" and that has to be enough.
He wants to prevent humanity from attaining the mantle... but to what end? As far as we know, he's alone in the universe. Once he kills off every human, he'll be left sitting in his floating ball, surrounded by robot dogs and "inferior" species. Why would he want that? It's like screaming "IF I CAN'T HAVE IT, NO ONE WILL" in the form of a galactic genocide. (ancientmanyellsatgalaxy.jpg)

they do explain more in the terminals, which i don't mind, people complain about how they have to find the terminals to understand more back story of these characters, i don't understand y, the content in the terminals isn't necessary

post-25374-Michael-Jordan-YEAH-gif-Imgur-X3MA.gif

that's basically the reason the human forerunner war started no? Forerunners were mad the humans were the reclaimers so they said fuck that we deserve the mantle and the humans were like you're mad cause I'm stylin on you and thus war.

I'm okay with some ambiguity in the story. You're playing as Chief. He's not an omnipresent being so of course there will be things that he doesn't know.

I can understand some of the frustrations with the Didact though. It seemed like the player should know who he was. All of my friends were asking who he was and I had to explain that he was from the books.

Said it before: understanding Halo 4's story was easy because it was, at its core, extremely simple. Awaken ancient evil, stop them before they kill the universe. Baddie does so because of fairly standard ancient alien villain logic, they think that humanity sucks.

The problem is that the game does not, and of itself, organically provide the level of detail necessary to make the above compelling. Sure, for book readers, the Didact was a once-great hero, fallen into madness and despair by his long war against the Flood and even longer imprisonment, whose resentment of humanity had festered beyond reason.

For game-only people, he had the depth of a DBZ villain. Absolutely none of that was properly conveyed. Throw in the sacrifices in scale made to the visuals, and the fact that it was the first outing of the new studio, and people just weren't willing to give the game any slack on the story front. (Which isn't their fault, mind, it's on the storyteller to convince the audience to give them that slack. Rule of cool and all that.)

Zeta Oni

Eh, thats where ya lose me.

Im not gonna say Halo 4's the better story overall, but in some ways it does things better than any game previously.

One of the criticism that really bothers me is the whole "i dont understand whats going on" shtick. I mean, you play as the MC right? The guy who was floating in space for four years before being crash landed on a foreign world with a half rampant AI? Given what we know of his personality, I doubt MC gives a proper shit about the exact motivations and history of these forerunners, its more like: "hey, that guy looks pretty evil. Should go try and stop him cause im a spartan and thats what we do".

Guess what? Thats all the motivation the majority of people who buy this game need.

I mean, I suppose there a case to be made about reducing story telling in order to better fit the perspective of an individual in this medium and whether this was an effective implementation of said concept, but its a case I would fall in favor of Halo 4 regardless.

Trup1aya

I'm really optimistic about the story telling so far. It seems like they've managed to touch on bits from the extended lore in a way that gets those who've only played the games up to speed, but also rewards those who've read the novels.

Now I'm just curious about how they get folks up to speed on Blue Team. But based on what I've seen so far, they'll do a good job.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Just started my copy last night.

The game. Feels. Amazing. But, it doesn't feel like Halo. It's a wonderfully crafted shooter, but it's void of everything that made me love the gameplay of the first three for what it was. To be fair, I wasn't the biggest fan of Halo 4.
I'd love to hear you elaborate on what's missing.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Off-topic, but I've had to bookmark the last page of this thread because the first page keeps killing Safari on my iPad and iPhone. Anybody else?

LordOfChaos

that's basically the reason the human forerunner war started no? Forerunners were mad the humans were the reclaimers so they said fuck that we deserve the mantle and the humans were like you're mad cause I'm stylin on you and thus war.

Human-Forerunner war started with Ancient Humanity fighting the Flood, and tracking it to a Forerunner world. They didn't have time to warn the Forerunners before it would have spread, so made the decision to sacrifice the world.

There was also preexisting tension with the rate of expansion of humanity and infringing on each others uppercase-S Space.

The Forerunner-Precursor war started with what you said, Forerunners being mad at not being the chosen ones. The Precursors may have been planning on wiping out the Forerunners, that's unclear.

Forerunners be warring with 'errybody. They really fucked the galaxy.

WUT

LOL, what the hell's been going on in here?!

ADS is fine in Halo 5, I'm happy for it and it looks cool. I still think it's funny how 343 worded it when it was revealed: "There is no penalty to hip-fire", yet ADS is more accurate. Sorry dudes, it don't work that way.

Flipyap

Kinda, but back then they were at least fighting to allow their species to continue their reign. In Halo's "present day," the Didact was fighting for the right to die alone as the holder of a meaningless title.

Kinda, but back then they were at least fighting to allow their species to continue their reign. In Halo's "present day," the Didact was fighting for the right to die alone as the holder of a meaningless title.

He was pretty far gone by the time 4 rolls around. Locked in an endless losing war with the Flood, tortured by the Gravemind, twisted by his efforts to become immune, and then stuck in his Cryptum for tens of thousands of years. He was conscious the whole time, btw.

Top Bottom