• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Acerac

Banned
You just dropped a hell of a bomb on me. Man.

I won't be able to focus for a couple of hours now.

Check out the original anime if you want to see the superior version of Hisoka.

Don't worry, in another decade I'm sure they'll animate another arc or two.

*Edit*

Oh, and did that ending mean that Komugi is an alien? I see no other possible explanation for it.

smurfx

get some go again
so the current hxh world ends up being a very small part of the actual world. i was so hyped for this back when it was revealed in the manga. even more hyped when other info got revealed.

Didnt really feel like a final episode but overall kind of boring as Ging isnt really an interesting character and there were so many other people we could have had occupy time like Killua, or the nebulous Kurapika, Illumi, and even the old man Zoldick. The world map discussion was most compelling though it felt less refined than the one present in Toriko full of lush details, baddies, goodies and everything. This felt tacked on and the huge requirements to even get there makes it feel like something that wouldnt be reached for awhile? In toriko it was built upon and focused so much that I wanted the story to go there soon.

-
Alright anime over all, was just plagued by inconsistent storytelling issues in many arcs, underutilization of key characters at really important moments, and limited teamwork dynamics at times squashed some of the high climax action and top tier storytelling that it had going in its early days. Will watch a sequel series if its ever made, may consider going into the manga if a few conditions are met like a sequel series not happening a year from now or other characters get brought back. 7/10.

Tuck

so the current hxh world ends up being a very small part of the actual world. i was so hyped for this back when it was revealed in the manga. even more hyped when other info got revealed.

Yeah it was an interesting little plot twist. Helped make the finale more... open ended.

bigkrev

It could be because when I read it I didn't know what was to come, but this seemed like a much harder tease of the future than the manga did. Thankfully, they never actually
namedrop Beyond Netero
, so it can serve just fine as a slightly more open ended.

Also, really glad they added the extra stuff with Knov and Morel in regards to the bet, as that confused the hell out of me when I read it.

Glad they didn't try to create some non-canon ending but instead just animated the next chapter like they usually do

feels like a ending but the series just continues with it.... what this really is, is just a arc finally before a new one

As a manga reader, I knew about the episode and it has been always said that it would have been a nice point to end the series if Togashi wanted that. But seeing it in the anime, it's even more noticeable how good is as the end: Gon finally finds Ging and exchange tales with him, and as Ging tells his backstory and his goals, it's clear how the same theme Gings explain was repeated through all of HxH:
great and dangerous adventures, friends on your way in them (that end as being more relevant than the adventure itself), and always another even greater adventure on the horizon.

Cwarrior

HxH 148 End

Absolutely amazing end of era anime can finally die in peace.

Thank you Mad House and Thanky you Based Togashi for this wonderful world & stories.

kewlmyc

I just got into it around February, but damn, it's sad to see it's over. Even more so after hearing that the manga is back on hiatus again. I'll just consider this the ending since the journey started with Gon wanting to become a hunter to meet his dad and the anime concludes with Gon as a hunter meeting his dad. Sad Kurapica didn't have much of a role after the glorious Phantom Troupe arc, but I can live with that as it's the best arc in the series imo.

Hunter X Hunter: 9.5/10. Great shounen anime, definitely my favorite of the genre, but some pacing issues in the Chimera Arc made it a drag to watch at times. Still more interesting and fun than your generic power level shounen series and "ended" before it went on too long.

Just watched the final episode and it was kind of anticlimactic for me. Yes it wraps up conveniently and hints at other future possibilities for the characters, but I can't help but feel disappointed.

Maybe I just built it up for myself too much. Anyways, I greatly enjoyed watching the series as there were a lot of fantastic moments and so many fantastic characters.

Could anybody recommend any more anime that has the feels like hunter x hunter that I might enjoy? My other favorite series is Hajime no Ippo if that helps.

Moaradin

Just watched the final episode and it was kind of anticlimactic for me. Yes it wraps up conveniently and hints at other future possibilities for the characters, but I can't help but feel disappointed.

Maybe I just built it up for myself too much. Anyways, I greatly enjoyed watching the series as there were a lot of fantastic moments and so many fantastic characters.

Could anybody recommend any more anime that has the feels like hunter x hunter that I might enjoy? My other favorite series is Hajime no Ippo if that helps.

Yu Yu Hakusho. Same guy made it. Much simpler than HxH but it's one of the best. Watch the dub.

Cwarrior

Interveiw with by one the HxH animation directors Takahiko Abiru

Lost of interesting details

http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/Anime/News1/Takahiko-Abiru-Interview-5942.aspx#.VCIQDvK8xpJ.twitter

Fans of the currently airing TV adaptation of Hunter x Hunter had a huge surprise in store for them this past year when Takahiko Abiru, one of the main animation directors on the show, started uploading scans of some of the more than 18,000 frames he’s drawn for the show to Twitter.

That’s a heck of a heartfelt gesture from an up-and-coming animator who’s put in time on a number of important and popular productions, including Death Note, Redline, Kaiji Season 2, and Trigun: Badlands Rumble.

We talked with Abiru at Denver's NDK about his work on Paprika, Hunter x Hunter, and the ways in which Twitter has made interacting with fans easier than ever before.

Jason Moses: Something I wanted to clarify before going any further… are you staff at Studio Madhouse, or freelance?

Takahiko Abiru: I’m pretty freelance. I have a desk at Madhouse, but I’m essentially a freelancer.

JM: Ah, okay. I was wondering about that after I saw you mention on Twitter that you knew Satoshi Kon and considered him something of your mentor, and I know you had the opportunity to work as an in-between checker on Paprika… what did you take away from having the chance to work on a huge movie like that?

TA: They had some of the best animators in Japan all under one roof working on that movie, so just having the chance to be there was an incredibly valuable experience. Being able to talk to Satoshi Kon in person was particularly important to me. Having everybody all in one place like that is the kind of thing that’s only achievable at Madhouse.

Satoshi Kon was the kind of person who took care of the people who worked for him. He took people out to eat, and he’d go over and talk to people at their desks in person whenever possible. Hard to imagine it just looking at that scary face of his, but… (laughs)

JM: Let’s talk Hunter x Hunter. You’ve been working on that show for the past 3 years, and you recently started uploading animation cuts to Twitter in the big lead-up to the end of the show’s current run on TV. Can you talk a little bit about your reasons for doing that? What’s the response been like?

TA: It started when I noticed that the animators working on Kill La Kill were uploading stuff to Twitter, and I thought that was great, just was a really cool way to reach out to the fans. Nobody else on the Hunter x Hunter team was doing anything like that, so I decided to give it a shot, and the response so far from the fans has been wonderful. It’s been really inspiring, and it’s given me a motivational boost while working on the show.

JM: Have you gotten any fan responses from outside Japan? Anything that’s surprised you?

TA: I’ve had a bunch of responses from fans who saw my art and tried to redraw what I did in their own style. That’s something I’d never experienced before, so I was really happy to get that kind of reaction. Beyond that, I can’t really speak English, so it was a good educational experience to see English-speaking fans respond by telling me the stuff I’d posted was “Amazing” or “Epic!” (laughs)

JM: Do you plan to keep doing this kind of thing for the rest of the show up until the end? Or on to whatever the next show you’re working on happens to be?

TA: Episode 148 — the final episode of Hunter x Hunter — is coming up soon, so I’ll probably tweet something to commemorate the occasion the same way I did for episode 135 (the end of the Chimera Ant arc). As for what’s coming up after that… the next project I’m working on is based on something that’s not widely recognized in the international market. At least not yet, anyway. I’m going to try to use Twitter to reach out to existing fans and get them to spread the word about it.

JM: Before the currently airing TV adaptation of Hunter x Hunter, there was another adaptation of the property that aired back in the late 90s. Did you look at that at all when beginning work on the currently airing version of the show? What was your philosophy as an animation director when approaching the current adaptation of the show, and how do you think it compares to what they did for the previous version?

TA: I watched the previous adaptation, and something I kept in mind when working on the new version was doing everything I could to make it look superb while also giving it a more modern, current look to it. The previous version came out over a decade ago, and a lot’s changed in that time, so I’m trying to make sure it meets expectations for modern viewers.

JM: For those who don’t know, what does your work on the show as an animation director entail on a day to day basis? Have there been any changes in the process since you started working on the show 3 years ago?

TA: The quality of our work’s definitely changed over the past few years. We’ve gotten better, and a lot of that’s the result of our having 7 animation directors who are all competing against each other to do the best work possible and increase our skills. Of course, the longer I’ve worked on the series, the more I’ve fallen in love with the characters, too.

As for the work itself, there are 7 directors, who basically oversee 7 teams. Each team has 30 key animators working for one animation director, whose job is basically to maintain quality control for the entire team. That means both ensuring consistent quality across the team and working to bring up the overall quality of the team’s work.

We don’t usually have direct contact with the animators on our team. Most of that communication is done through the key animation produced for each scene and cut, where we’ll go in and leave notes or adjust their work directly.

JM: Going back to your earlier comment on how you’ve grown attached to the characters in Hunter x Hunter, are there any characters or story arcs from the show that you feel particularly attached to?

TA: My favorite character in the show is Youpi. He works for the King during the Chimera Ant arc, but what I really like about him is that even though he’s a Chimera Ant, as the story progresses he slowly starts to develop human emotions and ends up becoming this really interesting and well-realized character. I also like him for personal reasons. Since I got to do his character design for the current version of the show, I ended up growing really attached to him. (laughs)

JM: Did you have the opportunity to do a lot of character designs for the show this time around? Any you’d like to talk about in particular?

TA: Takahiro Yoshimatsu was in charge of main character design, but since there are so many characters in Hunter x Hunter, he can’t handle it all himself. That means a lot of the other character designs got taken care of by other animator directors, and I jumped at the opportunity whenever it presented itself. All told, I think I did about 30 to 40 character designs. Including sub-characters, of course.

JM: Ah, gotcha. I actually noticed you character designed and submitted a LINE sticker set a few months back. What inspired you to make those?

TA: So there’s a creator stamp section in LINE where people can submit their own sticker sets, and at the time I was thinking about making one, I’d already had an offer from NDK to attend as a guest. I really liked the name “Denver,” which is why I decided to name the characters “Colora” and “Denber.” (laughs) I think the sticker set should be on sale pretty soon.

JM: Anything you’d like to convey to fans of Hunter x Hunter? Any final thoughts on this show you’ve worked on for the past 3 years?

TA: I’d personally like to keep working on the show, but due to circumstances beyond our control (the original comic is on hiatus) we don’t really have a choice in the matter right now. I was able to achieve so many things through Hunter x Hunter, and it was the interaction and communication with fans that kept me going for the whole run. I’d really like to thank all the fans for their support.

I believe they’re going to make more episodes of the show once the original comic starts up again, and I definitely want to be involved with that, particularly if I had the opportunity to do main character design for it. (laughs)

JM: Thank you so much for your time.

TA: Thank you for having me!

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So it's on Togashi, even Madhouse admits it.

Ending was really awesome and heartwarming. Gon finally got to Bond with his dad and they're truly really similar, even though never speaking until now. Very awesome stuff. 1,000,000/10 series for me.

I'm going to go finish off the manga and be depressed now.

So it's on Togashi, even Madhouse admits it.
At least they aren't making an endless amount of filler to keep it going.

I'm going to go finish off the manga and be depressed now.
Do it and then have the biggest blue balls ever. It looks like the beginning of an epic arc (literally, the amount of stuff going on just seems daunting) and we get the return of some favorite characters plus the introduction of new villains.

cHaotix8

Man, what a fantastic series, and a spectacular ending. Ging's message at the end really resonates with everything that the series was about. It was practically the best way possible they could have ended it, in my opinion.

This is easily the best anime adaption of a manga series I've ever watched. There are very few series where I feel that the animation is better than the original work, but this is one of them. The quality and pacing was good throughout the entire ride. Madhouse did an outstanding job. Even though I started watching the anime in the middle of August, I still feel like I'll be missing out of my life. It'll be years before there's enough content to start up another series, assuming the manga ever gets finished at all. But if Togashi ever does get around to drawing againI hope the same directors get to lead the project.

like why'd they have to show the palace again, their hands together ;____________;

Ugh, I know! They didn't have to do that! T_T

K1LLER7

3 years, yet it feels like its been going for longer. Brilliant anime and a fitting ending which wrapped up most things well, whilst teasing a little of what may possibly happen in the future. Overall, HxH has been one of the best animes I've watched and it's sad that its over.

Throughout the anime, the whole range of characters were great. I remember at the start of the series I felt Gon & Leorio would get annoying, but turns out they were far from it (imo). In terms of standout episodes, the "Ant arc" and specifically the final "King and Komugi" episode really stood out for me.

My only slight disappointment is we didn't get to see some more of one of the best villains created in Hisoka.
He didn't even get time in the credits scene :*(

If To's health improves and the manga progresses smoothly in the future, I hope that one day, they decide to get back to adapting the series.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Wonderful final episode to the best shounen adaptation in anime history.

Thank you so much, Madhouse. And thank you Togashi for creating and realizing this amazing world.

Tuck

Just realized that we didn't see Hisoka at the end there. Thats kind of a shame. Love that guy. ANt Arc was solid mostly) but he sidelined a lot of great characters for it.

Jigolo

Just realized that we didn't see Hisoka at the end there. Thats kind of a shame. Love that guy. ANt Arc was solid mostly) but he sidelined a lot of great characters for it.
Introduced a lot of great characters as well..... Even if some of them aren't alive anymore.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I just caught up to the manga hiatus "chapter". I am truly without hunter x hunter for the foreseeable future. Fuck. It is SUCH a hype arc so far. A true adventure into the unknown. If only I could see madhouse animate it!!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I can't. This episode. It's all over for the anime right now for a very long time ;(

This really was the best way to end the series though, without teasing anything for the current arc that's in the manga at the moment. I'm really going to miss this show so much. It really was an incredible ride seeing everything animated especially the chimera ant arc. If you had asked me if HxH was ever going to get another chance of getting animated and animate the chimera ant arc a few years ago, I would have laughed at your face.

Thank you Madhouse for doing one of my favorite manga anime justice. Your adaptation was incredible and I'm going to miss looking forward to a new episode every Tuesday. Thank you so much for providing constant quality (imo) over the span of 3 years.

After listening to Departure as the ending song, it got me to remember the ending montage of the original series which was way better IMO. that ending montage for the original anime will forever hold a special place in my heart.

Speaking of Hisoka having watched Getbackers some years ago I always wonder what would happen if those two could ever meet..I mean they are practically the same person manga world probably couldn't take it.

GWX

Wonderful final episode to the best shounen adaptation in anime history.

Thank you so much, Madhouse. And thank you Togashi for creating and realizing this amazing world.

I'll make your words mine. Fantastic ending, fantastic series.
I want to believe that Togashi will get well soon and in a few years we'll see Madhouse wowing us all over again, but for now, I'm satisfied with the ride.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I don't understand. If Togashi is always sick and stuff, why can't he be responsible for at least the story/dialog and have someone else draw it since that's where most of his efforts went? I'm sure someone out there would love to draw this, especially since Togashi isn't known for his artistic ability.

anyone else catch the easter egg when Gon is talking to the guy at the base of the tree?

They show a magazine that says NEXT and has MH and a house on the spine, and there's a parasite from Parasyte on the cover. I thought it was pretty neat.

edit: I really liked Departure as the closing song

fertygo

I don't understand. If Togashi is always sick and stuff, why can't he be responsible for at least the story/dialog and have someone else draw it since that's where most of his efforts went? I'm sure someone out there would love to draw this, especially since Togashi isn't known for his artistic ability.

That just simply not the culture in the industry on there maybe.. the author pretty much "owned" the property. I never heard other person taking over certain manga load like in US Comic scene.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm sure someone out there would love to draw this, especially since Togashi isn't known for his artistic ability.
He may not be the most detailed artist out there, but I really enjoy his art style ESPECIALLY when he draws people that have blood lust/have a serious face. He is incredible at it IMO.

Yu Yu Hakusho. Same guy made it. Much simpler than HxH but it's one of the best. Watch the dub.

Thank you for the recommendation, I can't find it on crunchyroll, so I'll just google it.

Oh crap, that's true. They totally should have put something for Hisoka.

Acerac

Banned
He may not be the most detailed artist out there, but I really enjoy his art style ESPECIALLY when he draws people that have blood lust/have a serious face. He is incredible at it IMO.

5J53wyS.jpg

Hello there

*Edit*

Seriously, how can Komugi be a spy if she isn't an alien? I'm not even joking. Fanon firmly established.

What chapter is this episode? I can't believe that all these chapters were nothing but a prologue for the entire series. Togashi sure knows to give scale the HxH world. I need to read the manga and then wallow in misery. I can't believe Togashi hasn't capitalized from all this time the anime was on to pump out chapters.

Soriku

3 years, yet it feels like its been going for longer. Brilliant anime and a fitting ending which wrapped up most things well, whilst teasing a little of what may possibly happen in the future. Overall, HxH has been one of the best animes I've watched and it's sad that its over.

Throughout the anime, the whole range of characters were great. I remember at the start of the series I felt Gon & Leorio would get annoying, but turns out they were far from it (imo). In terms of standout episodes, the "Ant arc" and specifically the final "King and Komugi" episode really stood out for me.

My only slight disappointment is we didn't get to see some more of one of the best villains created in Hisoka.
He didn't even get time in the credits scene :*(

If To's health improves and the manga progresses smoothly in the future, I hope that one day, they decide to get back to adapting the series.

Hisoka took his leave when he copped the one dude running for the election, lol.

Thought this was a great episode and good sendoff to the series thus far. I started watching the old HxH a few years ago, and stopped during the Greed Island arc. I picked up this new series once they reached Greed Island. It's taken a long time to reach a satisfying enough ending...for now.

The outer world is HUGE. Togashi could tell lots of more stories if he wanted to. A vast (and dangerous) unexplored world + Togashi's meticulous attention to detail makes for a good combo, and you can tell he has long term plans...but I really don't know if he'll ever finish the manga.

I wonder what's at the end of the world, haha. The Ants came from it and I wonder if even more dangerous enemies are a possibility. The map seemed to get scarier and scarier the further you go.

TheTrueWorld.png

Does anyone have the anime version?

Top Bottom