• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

antibolo

Banned
Did the Power of Friendship (tm) really accomplish any ass-pull miracles in HxH at all? I can't think of any example.

A lot of stuff that Gon and Killua did was driven by their mutual friendship, but it didn't give them superpowers (or at least not directly).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Did the Power of Friendship (tm) really accomplish any ass-pull miracles in HxH at all? I can't think of any example.

A lot of stuff that Gon and Killua did was driven by their mutual friendship, but it didn't give them superpowers (or at least not directly).

Nope.

Tuck

No, but there was that giant ass pull at the end of the hunter exam arc where gon won the final battle because he refused to give up.

antibolo

Banned
No, but there was that giant ass pull at the end of the hunter exam arc where gon won the final battle because he refused to give up.

But Gon didn't win at all. He passed the exam because of Netero's weird tourney rules automatically made everyone win by default, because one person got disqualified. Had Killua not killed that guy, Gon would have been the only participant to fail the exam, because he was only only one who couldn't fight any further.

It was the complete opposite of a shounen ass pull, it was a harsh reality check lesson for Gon that you can't always win every battle, no matter how much you want to win.

But Gon didn't win at all. He passed the exam because of Netero's weird tourney rules automatically made everyone win by default, because one person got disqualified. Had Killua not killed that guy, Gon would have been the only participant to fail the exam, because he was only only one who couldn't fight any further.

It was the complete opposite of a shounen ass pull, it was a harsh reality check lesson for Gon that you can't always win every battle, no matter how much you want to win.

But he did...he won...he opponent gave up, because Gon really wanted to win...

Tuck

Nope. You arent remembering correctly. He did win the battle. His opponent gave up. He reaped the reward of winning the battle (became a hunter). This happened before killua killed that guy. Even had he not, gon would have become a hunter.

It wasnt a reality check. He learned absolutely nothing from the ordeal.

phaze

Meruem's revival was pure power of friendship asspull and power-up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On a more serious note which shounen actually does this ? Can't really think of any that I watched. I did hear that Fairy Tail does that supposedly but I've seen only 2 episodes of that.

Kyuur

I don't see how that's an asspull when the rules of the tournament were clear, you have to make your opponent give up and you can't kill them. Refusing to give up is literally the way to win.

smurfx

get some go again

On a more serious note which shounen actually does this ? Can't really think of any that I watched. I did hear that Fairy Tail does that supposedly but I've seen only 2 episodes of that.
lol fairy tail always has some friendship power bullshit in almost every arc.

I almost lost interest in the series after that. In retrospective, it's cool that the royal guards became queens
and would eventually copulate with the king had they survived

Nibel

That Hanzo was too much of a pussy to torture Gon?

Hanzo was unable to torture him enough to make him lose not only because of the exam's ruleset but also because his entire relationship to Gon developed during their fight. He had no respect at all first, then became pissed, then frustrated and then started to admire him later on.

Good on Gon for leaving a nice impression.

Einhander

Well, that's alright. Once the anime is finished, I'm going to finish buying the rest of the manga volumes released in the US. If I'm not mistaken, the localized manga is caught up with the Japanese manga.

Tuck

That was the entire point of that last exam.

Justify it however you want, it was cheesy as hell.

You don't know what an asspull is.
Generally I understand it as when something happens that the author doesn't even bother trying to explain or justify. I'd also define it as an author pulling a solution from his ass. Im basically just paraphrasing urban dictionary though. To me, the second definition fits the situation pretty well, yes.

Ultimately though I'm not too worried about my word choice. That moment was cringe worthy.

But the rest of the show is really good so a few moments like that were easy to overlook.

Brazil

Generally I understand it as when something happens that the author doesn't even bother trying to explain or justify. I'd also define it as an author pulling a solution from his ass. Im basically just paraphrasing urban dictionary though. To me, the second definition fits the situation pretty well, yes.

Ultimately though I'm not too worried about my word choice. That moment was cringe worthy.

But the rest of the show is really good so a few moments like that were easy to overlook.

An asspull is a solution that happens out of nowhere without context or logic. Basically something that disrespects how the characters have been portrayed previously and how they (and the plot) developed.

The strength Gon's will is basically the central theme of the series. At that point in the series, he's terribly weak, but his resolve is already huge. That's what the author was trying to portray there. He's weak, but he has potential - and that potential is so big that even rivals respect him for it.

Hanzo decided that he couldn't keep going because he was already destroying Gon and Gon simply wouldn't budge. He didn't want to kill him, so he had no alternative but giving up. He'd get a second chance down the line, anyway.

You may not like that particular moment in the series, but it is not an asspull. It's a completely logical development that not only respects everything the author had said about the characters and the world around them before, but also serves as a great and irrefutable example of the main character's biggest strength.

Tuck

An asspull is a solution that happens out of nowhere without context or logic. Basically something that disrespects how the characters have been portrayed previously and how they (and the plot) developed.

The strength Gon's will is basically the central theme of the series. At that point in the series, he's terribly weak, but his resolve is already huge. That's what the author was trying to portray there. He's weak, but he has potential - and that potential is so big that even rivals respect him for it.

Hanzo decided that he couldn't keep going because he was already destroying Gon and Gon simply wouldn't budge. He didn't want to kill him, so he had no alternative but giving up. He'd get a second chance down the line, anyway.

You may not like that particular moment in the series, but it is not an asspull. It's a completely logical development that not only respects everything the author had said about the characters and the world around them before, but also serves as a great and irrefutable example of the main character's biggest strength.
I think you are seeing depth where there isn't any. It's very shonen. Luffy does stuff like that too. I'm sure plenty of other shonen protagonists do too.

Not to mention that I've never bought the fact that blind, unrelenting will is gons biggest strength. Its his biggest trait, sure. But to be honest its the thing I hate most about his character because it can be, at times, so stupidly unbelievable. And its the one thing that Gon never relents on and never self reflects or asks himself "is my sheer will truly a strength?" It just is, like every other shonen protagonist.

Hopefully that is somewhat coherent. Typing on a phone about to die so I'm a bit rushed.

Edit: to clarify, I can totally see gon pulling a stunt like that. Goes with his character. But I take issue with him winning.

That's... Not it, either. He got incredibly hurt in that fight, and it didn't make sense for Gon to die there. Hanzo had no motivation to kill him.

Yeah, but it was plot armor in the sense that if it wasn't a main character like Gon, he would have conceded or Hanzo wouldn't have stopped at the point he did

Brazil

I think you are seeing depth where there isn't any. It's very shonen. Luffy does stuff like that too. I'm sure plenty of other shonen protagonists do too.

Not to mention that I've never bought the fact that blind, unrelenting will is gons biggest strength. Its his biggest trait, sure. But to be honest its the thing I hate most about his character because it can be, at times, so stupidly unbelievable. And its the one thing that Gon never relents on and never self reflects or asks himself "is my sheer will truly a strength?" It just is, like every other shonen protagonist.

Hopefully that is somewhat coherent. Typing on a phone about to die so I'm a bit rushed.

Edit: to clarify, I can totally see gon pulling a stunt like that. Goes with his character. But I take issue with him winning.

While I still stand by all that I said, I understand your point, and I'm totally fine with how you feel about it. I just really disagree with the use of the word "asspull" (which you said yourself you didn't care too much about).

:)

hat_hair

Fairy Tail does do this, but Saint Seiya is probably the king of this trope. Precure also uses it quite a lot, although that's shoujo.

For what it's worth, the Hunter exam was still quite an early part of Hunter x Hunter, when it was still fairly traditional in a lot of ways. I would argue that only during the York Shin arc did it really start to form a unique identity.

Tuck

While I still stand by all that I said, I understand your point, and I'm totally fine with how you feel about it. I just really disagree with the use of the word "asspull" (which you said yourself you didn't care too much about).

:)
Yeah that's totally cool,I can conceded that point.

upandaway

Killua addressed you guys' argument when he talked to Hanzo after the match ended (ch35). Killua asked Hanzo why he gave up despite being able to make Gon give up with torture, and Hanzo gave a specific reason (Gon was the first person he tortured that didn't show any resentment for it). That part after the fight is what other shonen don't do.

He even acknowledges that Gon's just stupidly stubborn, and didn't respect him for that or anything, because even after he gives up Gon wants to be a silly butt and continue the fight in another way that will make him satisfied. Being stubborn wasn't why he won.

demidar

Killua addressed you guys' argument when he talked to Hanzo after the match ended (ch35). Killua asked Hanzo why he gave up despite being able to make Gon give up with torture, and Hanzo gave a specific reason (Gon was the first person he tortured that didn't show any resentment for it). That part after the fight is what other shonen don't do.

He even acknowledges that Gon's just stupidly stubborn, and didn't respect him for that or anything, because even after he gives up Gon wants to be a silly butt and continue the fight in another way that will make him satisfied. Being stubborn wasn't why he won.

I think Hanzo respects Gon because he was standing guard around the makeshift hospital thing when he was near death, with all of Gon's other hunter friends (Knuckle, Melody, those two chimaera ants, Palm, Morel, Biscuit, etc.).

Although I don't know if that's an anime thing or not.

Speaking of Hanzo I really need him to show up again in some capacity later on in the series seeing as he was clearly the 3rd strongest person in that Hunter exam I want to see just how much he has developed since.

Bloody Hell is the Arabic Opening for the original HXH anime really good!

It is a changed up version of the original's first ending but in arabic... Plus it just sounds a whole lot better that way.... surprisingly

This is up there for me in international opening with the Italian Dragonball opening

Here is the regular version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ckI49NJWE

Here it is with HXH 2011 visuals (fan made)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctlFnRd7rDg

Kyuur

Speaking of Hanzo I really need him to show up again in some capacity later on in the series seeing as he was clearly the 3rd strongest person in that Hunter exam I want to see just how much he has developed since.

He showed up in this arc (briefly)! I would love to see more of him too.

Again...this is not that big a difference...the amount of people Naruto and Luffy have fought, and affected by gaining their respect is immense. It's not that unique a thing to happen in shonene

Jigolo

3e636268adb3b2311e3fcfab66be64e91411096995_full.jpg

farisr

Bloody Hell is the Arabic Opening for the original HXH anime really good!

It is a changed up version of the original's first ending but in arabic... Plus it just sounds a whole lot better that way.... surprisingly

This is up there for me in international opening with the Italian Dragonball opening

Here is the regular version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ckI49NJWE

Here it is with HXH 2011 visuals (fan made)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctlFnRd7rDg

You're right, that is great.

ss-hikaru

So...did they ever explain how Kite ended up like that? It really confuses me, because new!Kite doesn't really look much like an ant at all, if that's the reason why he managed to 'survive'. I also don't recall him being fed to the Queen ant? Also, what was Ging referring to in terms of Kite's crazy slot ability, the one number that Kite would use when he really didn't want to die (and was meant to be some sort of explanation for how he survived?). Yup, confused. But happy Kite is still around XD

We'll have to wait 5-10 years to see Ging and Pariston's Bizarre Adventure animated but it will be worth the wait.

I want to see this XD

Togashi fans should check out Level E

Yup, I wonder if it's still on Crunchyroll. That anime is hilarious.

jgminto

So...did they ever explain how Kite ended up like that? It really confuses me, because new!Kite doesn't really look much like an ant at all, if that's the reason why he managed to 'survive'. I also don't recall him being fed to the Queen ant? Also, what was Ging referring to in terms of Kite's crazy slot ability, the one number that Kite would use when he really didn't want to die (and was meant to be some sort of explanation for how he survived?). Yup, confused. But happy Kite is still around XD

Pitou probably removed his brain and fed it to the queen when she made his body into a puppet.

shira

Ging taught him the method, so he probably knew that he would use it in an unwinnable match.

I don't get it either. Why is Kite2 almost completely human? Shouldn't she have ant features other than the eyes.

Top Bottom