• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Jigolo

thanks for the answers. And no she didn't use her message technique in GI, she only mentioned that was her technique

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So I hear. I'll jump in. Just need to decide whether to rewatch the original series and switch over to the new one at Greed Island, or try the new one from the beginning.
Watch the new one from the very beginning. I think you'll be surprised at how good it is! They did hold back on some of the violent scenes during the start, but it stopped holding itself back after the Hunter exam.

So I hear. I'll jump in. Just need to decide whether to rewatch the original series and switch over to the new one at Greed Island, or try the new one from the beginning.

I say definitely watch from the beginning to get used to the voices and the amazing music. Especially the Auction Arc has great music.

upandaway

I started watching the new one at the end of the exam arc and thought it was around equal to the 1999 show. It has a lighter tone but I think the different approach made treading the same ground for a third time more tolerable.
I'd go with 1999 for Hunter Exam until the start of Heaven's Arena, and 2011 from there.

I still think Heaven's Arena is slightly better in the old one, but it's also way faster on the important info, and censored Kastro vs Hisoka where 2011 showed it fully. And from Yorkshin forward, 2011 changed into something amazing.

Bisky coming back reminded me..... Going back to GI, why didn't Bisky fight Genthru? Or better yet why didn't she destroy his whole crew? Was it part of their training or something
Being part of training was an obvious big part of it, but it also had to do with Genthru's perception. To him Gon was the leader (and also the one who was holding Genthru's missing cards, every time they checked on him), and clearly the one he'll target from the beginning, so they played on that to make the plan to split them up as smooth as possible. And there's a ton of smaller factors like Bisky minimizing how many people saw her from 5 to 1, Gon and Killua would never agree to it, risking Genthru having more spell cards that he could use to run away after seeing her (in the original plan, even if he did, his overconfidence negates it), etc etc

I'd honestly recommend switching over at Yorkshin, or maybe a bit earlier to get used to the art style.

A good thing about starting the new one from the beginning is it works as a good refresher, but doesn't overstay its welcome. It gets through the same amount of content as the original in half the episodes, at least for pretty much the entire hunter exam.

Though it is pretty jarring to see all the weird censorship at the beginning which just gets dropped out of nowhere the second we get to Yorkshin.

Either way, definitely watch Greed Island in the new one. It's sooooooooo much better than the OVAs in every way.

Moaradin

Just saw the new episode. Great stuff. I'm loving all the new weird characters they are introducing.

Also why is this thread so quiet compared to other popular anime on GAF? It's crazy that the Attack on Titan thread has like 4x the post. Is this anime just not very popular around here?

It's very weird since I thought this shit has been great so far, especially since Yorknew. Since then it's been amazing.

Cwarrior

I say watch from the start to get used to the differences between between 2011 version and 1999, plus it's services as a good refresher, keep in mind there's weird censorship that's dropped later once yorkshin begins.

Just saw the new episode. Great stuff. I'm loving all the new weird characters they are introducing.

Also why is this thread so quiet compared to other popular anime on GAF? It's crazy that the Attack on Titan thread has like 4x the post. Is this anime just not very popular around here?

It's very weird since I thought this shit has been great so far, especially since Yorknew. Since then it's been amazing.

Attack on titan has angst teens that won't stop yelling plus it looks more edgy, Hunter x hunter doesn't stand a chance that's the recipe for success for an anime on neogaf.

NomarTyme

Also why is this thread so quiet compared to other popular anime on GAF? It's crazy that the Attack on Titan has like 4x the post. Is this anime just not very popular around here?

The anime is a slow starter, so I hear some people drop this pretty early.

Kind of a shame. It would probably be as popular as One Piece if there wasn't as many hiatuses throughout its run. Puts most Shonen to shame. Hopefully Togashi can get some chapters out before the end of the year.

Moaradin

The anime is a slow starter, so I hear some people drop this pretty early.

That would be a shame if that's the case. This is probably the most consistently great anime I've ever seen. Usually long running anime like this have all sorts of problems like pacing issues and production issues. This show has had none of that so far.

Remember, this is a reboot of an anime from 1999. There were also some very strange censorship issues in the beginning that weren't present in the original, and many people were turned off by the art style, so they dropped it quickly. It wasn't until Yorknew that the previous issues dropped quickly, and it became a competent show on par with the original.

Just look at how active this thread is now compared to where it was when the show started. It's definitely picking up steam. It started in 2011, yet more than half the posts in this thread are from this year.

Kyuur

Remember, this is a reboot of an anime from 1999. There were also some very strange censorship issues in the beginning that weren't present in the original, and many people were turned off by the art style, so they dropped it quickly. It wasn't until Yorknew that the previous issues dropped quickly, and it became a competent show on par with the original.

Just look at how active this thread is now compared to where it was when the show started. It's definitely picking up steam. It started in 2011, yet more than half the posts in this thread are from this year.

Yeah, the beginning was an bit unfortunate... Does anyone know if the Bluray releases changed anything?

Yonafunu

Kind of a shame. It would probably be as popular as One Piece if there wasn't as many hiatuses throughout its run. Puts most Shonen to shame. Hopefully Togashi can get some chapters out before the end of the year.

Well, the volumes are still selling like crazy in Japan, so it hasn't gotten less popular, at least not over there.

I thought
Kite got decapitated? Did they reattach his head or something? It was hard to tell with the censoring if the head was attached or not.

Poor Kite :(

You're assuming the quality wouldn't suffer.

Yeah. Telling a story in serial format over such a long period of time is a pretty monumental undertaking, and a person's level of commitment to it or inspiration doesn't stay at a static level throughout that period. To maintain a high standard of quality you pretty much have to allow the person behind it to not give a shit about it for extended periods, because they're not going to regardless.

dan2026

Hisoka decapitating a guy and Killua taking Jones's heart. I think that was it but it wasn't that egregious IMO.

Hisoka decapitating the guy was less censored in the new series than the old.

Also the new series actually showed the Hisoka vs Kastro fight.
Which was completely taken out of the old.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Trying out the new series from the start and comparing it to the original. New series took one episode to cover the first three eps from the original. Despite that, the old series doesn't drag at all, but I've watched it several times already, so I'll keep going with the new one for a change of pace. Tone's different for sure, and I'll miss Junko Takeuchi as Gon.

Yeah, the voices take some getting used to, particularly Gon's and Hisoka's, but I think the new ones do a fantastic job once they really get into the role.

So I'm currently watching this show (btw I don't read the manga... yet) and I just got done with episodes 35 and 36. I seriously can't believe how good the fights in this show are. During the fight there was no flashbacks, no stopping for 10mins to explain a move, or useless talking just fighting. Well to be fair there was a few pauses but nothing really huge like Naruto or One Piece where it's a whole episode or 10min stop.

Also Hisoka is
really weird. All those positions he was doing when he was getting excited scared even me. It reminds me of that time I saw him with his killer presence in the hunter exam, and Gon had to wait a whole day until he relaxed.

Can't wait for the next episodes.

So I'm currently watching this show (btw I don't read the manga... yet) and I just got done with episodes 35 and 36. I seriously can't believe how good the fights in this show are. During the fight there was no flashbacks, no stopping for 10mins to explain a move, or useless talking just fighting. Well to be fair there was a few pauses but nothing really huge like Naruto or One Piece where it's a whole episode or 10min stop.

Also Hisoka is
really weird. All those positions he was doing when he was getting excited scared even me. It reminds me of that time I saw him with his killer presence in the hunter exam, and Gon had to wait a whole day until he relaxed.

Can't wait for the next episodes.

youre really in for a treat, one of the best manga now anime out there.

damn lucky 1st time viewers lol

Rootbeer

Banned
I think it is OST3... i checked the phantom rouge OST and I don't hear it on there... though I know I've heard it before, maybe in a prior episode

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
They animated Palm so good. They totally kept her awesome creepy hair look from the manga and her voice was fantastic too. Knuckle looks great as well. Overall this episode was fun. It's back to a good old mini training arc and those are always fun to see.

mBAK3YK.jpg

Palm is moe.

Shouta

1999 show inserts really good filler that works really well. It doesn't drag the pace down at all and manages to provide a bit of exposure to some of the characters in there. Hanzo, Pokkle, Ponzu, etc get a bit of time there so it makes it a bit more meaningful that they show up later on for whatever reason they do. The writers basically cover Togashi's writing which, at times, can be somewhat lackluster.

Plus the budget for the Yorkshin episodes in the 1999 version is really damn good looking. GI is 10x better in the new one though, that OVA they did was garbage.

edit: So i'm caught up in HxH episodes. My god is this show gruesome. (Manga Spoilers!)
Poor Kite. I was really liking his character and to see him decapitated. Good god. I'm excited to see adult gon beat the shit out of that cat guy or girl. Also, Bisky's back! Love me some bisky

upandaway

So i'm caught up in HxH episodes. My god is this show gruesome.
Poor Kite. I was really liking his character and to see him decapitated. Good god. I'm excited to see adult gon beat the shit out of that cat guy or girl. Also, Bisky's back! Love me some bisky
Hey there, if the spoilers are manga spoilers you should specify that man

vareon

1999 show inserts really good filler that works really well. It doesn't drag the pace down at all and manages to provide a bit of exposure to some of the characters in there. Hanzo, Pokkle, Ponzu, etc get a bit of time there so it makes it a bit more meaningful that they show up later on for whatever reason they do. The writers basically cover Togashi's writing which, at times, can be somewhat lackluster.

Plus the budget for the Yorkshin episodes in the 1999 version is really damn good looking. GI is 10x better in the new one though, that OVA they did was garbage.

This fight is still incredible.

vareon

Meh, it's overhyped. it's not terrible, but it still stood out as not feeling right to me.

Did you watch it on the original run? It was seamlessly introduced and gave spotlight to the other characters while not being dumb or weirdly out of character. The only thing that gave it away that this was a filler is the "this is a mid-stage exam lol" in the end.

Soriku

The ship didn't stand out that much to me either tbh. Zoldycks vs. Chrollo is good, only problem is that it's not long enough!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Caught up. I've been curious about the Chimera Ant arc for, sheesh, nearly a decade now, but couldn't get into the stick figure HxH manga art, so here we are finally. I'm more than a little concerned about the direction of the series here and how it looks like it's losing a lot of the aspects that made it interesting, doubly so considering this arc lasts almost as long as everything up 'til now, yeah? But the brutal tone has me engaged for now.

Even if this new series is more faithful to the manga, I'm going to say I strongly preferred the 1999 series (up until the end of yorkshin of course; greed island should be watched with the 2011 version for sure), but I'm glad that we finally, finally get to see the new material.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Oh, you guys are talking about manga content constantly and not marking properly huh, despite this being the anime thread. I'm out.

Caught up. I've been curious about the Chimera Ant arc for, sheesh, nearly a decade now, but couldn't get into the stick figure HxH manga art, so here we are finally. I'm more than a little concerned about the direction of the series here and how it looks like it's losing a lot of the aspects that made it interesting, doubly so considering this arc lasts almost as long as everything up 'til now, yeah? But the brutal tone has me engaged for now.

Even if this new series is more faithful to the manga, I'm going to say I strongly preferred the 1999 series (up until the end of yorkshin of course; greed island should be watched with the 2011 version for sure), but I'm glad that we finally, finally get to see the new material.

Yes, the Chimera Ant arc nearly doubled the length of the manga.

Regarding manga spoilers, I can add a big red note to the OP when I get home that none are allowed from this point on, marked or not. There are plenty of anime-only watchers in here and this is the worst arc to be spoiled on IMO.

Rootbeer

Banned
yeah it's a shame about some of the spoilers. as someone who's read all the manga, i try very hard not to say anything or be one of "those guys" who's like "oh you have no idea just wait till...!!" etc., even if said in a non-spoilery way, it can be offputting. It's way worse in the GoT fandom though, fwiw :p

Anyway, re: 1999 anime, I have seen some of the vids linked here which I'd consider "highlights" of what it had to offer... frankly I find the animation pretty ugly, especially Killua... yuck! 2011 is way superior in that respect for me. Otherwise i'm sure it has a lot to offer. I'll continue to just catch the highlights people link here though :p I've got the manga and 2011 series covered... not sure I need yet another iteration of it in my memory banks.

Azure J

Didn't even realize that there was a thread for anime and series newbies here. I've been watching this off a whim to catch up on some of the popular older series I haven't experienced much of and holy goddamn what a ride.

I've watched through ep. 75 with my siblings for our holiday nerd out sessions thus far (and kinda started reading ahead) and damn, I don't think I've read something with such real palpable tension in a LONG time. How I didn't start this earlier is beyond me. As it stands right now, York Shin is like the best fucking thing ever so far with Greed Island being a fun training arc-slash-cooldown arc. I heard a lot of good things about the Chimera Ant arc and couldn't help going ahead but for the sake of the anime only heads in here I won't talk much about that. All I know is that I'm hyped as hell to see how the anime team does some of the highlights in the arc as it goes forward.

yami4ct

Great episode. So many great little moments. It's great to finally see some of my favorite characters in the manga get animated. There's just so much little stuff they get right, the animation for Morel and Knov's nen powers and Shaiapouf's wings both look spot on what I'd imagined them to be from the manga. Knuckle, Shoot and Palm's voices all seem pretty great as well. Palm's look, though, I don't think translates all that well to the screen. She's a scribbly mess on the page, but putting that here just makes her stand out from all the other character designs in a way I don't think necessarily works.

The thing that surprised me most this week was how much Knuckle's antics remind me of Yusuke from YYH. His look is of corse significantly different, and actually pretty close to Kuwabara in some ways, but I feel like his personality is so darn similar. I actually don't remember much about him. I cannot wait for this week's episode now. Watching HxH is really one of the highlights of my week. Such a great adaptation of a great series.

Articalys

Some relevant bits from Megumi Han's panel at Anime Expo yesterday:
What did you like specifically about working on Hunter x Hunter?

I was very moved with Gon as a character, and I've fallen in love with everything about him. Although I play Gon, the hero, I understand the opponents' feelings as well, and I feel sympathy for them. So I see the characters from both sides—but I think that's a very attractive part of the story.

Can you explain the atmosphere in the Hunter x Hunter recording studio?

I'm very good friends with Killua's voice actor (Mariya Ise), and we enjoyed being in the studio a lot. Every voice actor becomes their character, and together we're almost like family, but when the time comes for work, we're very serious.

------------------------------------

(During the audience Q&A, an attendee also challenged Han to rock-paper-scissors, emulating a scene in Hunter x Hunter where Gon duels with Killua. Han lost the match but made a pouting face that won the audience's sympathy.)
A bit more in the full article. There's a minor spoiler for events in the last few episodes near the end of the writeup, so do mind that if you're not caught up.

Top Bottom