• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

bigkrev

(Maybe not so) Fucked x Fucked 87

This was a nearly flawless half hour of television. Knuckle is a great character, Palm's moment of near homicide was laugh-inducing, and OMG THE DOGS WERE SO CUTE.

We have had some great training stuff ever since Bisky returned (and thank god she is back.), and I really like this whole "train like crazy and then challenge him each day" strategy. The end hinted that there might be more to this than we know, especially with the second guy stalking in the shadows.

Knov, Morel and Netero also seem to have a good plan, even if Colt is catching on to it. I figure we still have a few more episodes before the 3rd royal guard shows up (speaking of them, where did Pitou get all the computer equipment in the NGL?), and the King is still coming.

Can't wait for more.

Dont understand the love of Knuckle, pretty dull character type and has no nen proficiency or even a good design, so couldn't get into him at all. Was as bored as Killua was during this whole affair. Hopefully we can fast track through this plotline and get back to the good stuff.

Rootbeer

Banned

Dont understand the love of Knuckle, pretty dull character type and has no nen proficiency or even a good design, so couldn't get into him at all. Was as bored as Killua was during this whole affair. Hopefully we can fast track through this plotline and get back to the good stuff.

I thought he was pretty vanilla too at first. But give him a chance, not much is revealed about him yet.

dan2026

My kind of girl.

palm2.jpg

OmegaX

What do you mean that he has no nen proficiency? He just doesn't need to show off his power to a couple of exhausted kids.

Daingurse

Ah Knuckle, I know I like this dude, can't remember why. Dude looks like Yusuke and Kuwabara did the Fusion Dance, but Kuwabara's personality is dominant. Nice episode, it's amazing how little I remember of this arc. I might aswell have not read the manga as all . . . lol. Just love how this show consistently delivers, a Shounen battle anime I can be fucking proud of.

If only Hisoka were here....he'd destroy all of the ants. Too bad that's not his style.

Hisoka ain't on that level.

Cwarrior

Knuckles is already awesome a mans man with guts and garr.

Knuckle voiced by the same man that voiced Akoi from hajime no ippo (Wataru Takagi) one of the fav character ever and Kite has the same voice as Shanks both badass mentors(from one piece).

tumblr_maszagqmVs1ry8et9o1_400.gif

Daingurse

Knuckles is already awesome a mans man with guts and garr.

Knuckle voiced by the same man that voiced Akoi from hajime no ippo (Wataru Takagi) one of the fav character ever and Kite has the same voice as Shanks both badass mentors(from one piece).

Ohhhh, thought i recognized the voice, just couldn't put my finger on it.

Arken2121

I don't want to spoil too much, but Hisoka would even have trouble handling captain level ants once they know how to properly use Nen.

Not disagreeing just it's hard to believe. Hisoka's(true)strength has yet to be revealed and again, it would seem like he would only have a slight issue against the Royal Guards.

tenchir

Not disagreeing just it's hard to believe. Hisoka's(true)strength has yet to be revealed and again, it would seem like he would only have a slight issue against the Royal Guards.

You are way over estimating Hisoka's strength.
I am not going to talk any further about this subject since they involve manga spoiler.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's annoying Hisoka isn't stronger than the Royal Guards. That much power seems wasted on such a poor set of villains.

bigkrev

If he did, wouldn't he have used some type of nen blasts or something instead of standing there foolishly taking Gon's hit like that? Didn't really make much sense.

He told him that he would let him punch him, and he would win if he moved him from the spot. He was going to use Gyo, but decided to protect against getting punched in the gut. Because he is a good guy, he wasnt going to cheat.

Arken2121

You are way over estimating Hisoka's strength.
I am not going to talk any further about this subject since they involve manga spoiler.

It just doesn't make any sense. Just like Crab stated, why waste such power on these temporary villains? Hisoka has been in the series for quite a while. I'm not saying he's insanely strong just he should at the very least be on par with the guards.

tenchir

It just doesn't make any sense. Just like Crab stated, why waste such power on these temporary villains? Hisoka has been in the series for quite a while. I'm not saying he's insanely strong just he should at the very least be on par with the guards.

It's likely to demonstrate how humans are completely screwed if these ants started to spread throughout their world. I really don't want to spoil, but lets say that the world is far larger than you expect it to be.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Even if they were Hisoka or near-Hisoka strength, we'd still be screwed. We know Hisoka is damn scary, he's been set up as such for a while. It's clear he could take most of the Phantom Troupe relatively easily, with the possible exception of Chrollo; and the Phantom Troupe, up until now, were our metric for "oh shit!". As it is, we have a purely set of temporary villains who aren't particularly convincing and have no seeming connection to the rest of the series or reason for existing turning up and being way more powerful than anything else just so that audience knows how Badass(tm) they are, when it's just over the top and wasn't necessary. It's the villainous equivalent of a Mary Sue. Chimera Ants is by far my least favourite Hunter arc and has taken the show from god-tier to just watchable.

Guys, we have official power level charts from Togashi himself. Hisoka does not match up to some of the stronger ants. It doesn't matter how long they've been in the series or how fleshed out they are currently. That's just how it is.

Now let's drop it before we start getting into manga spoiler territory. Evilore already left the thread because of stuff like this.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, we have official power level charts from Togashi himself. Hisoka does not match up to some of the stronger ants. It doesn't matter how long they've been in the series or how fleshed out they are currently. That's just how it is.

Now let's drop it before we start getting into manga spoiler territory. Evilore already left the thread because of stuff like this.

We're not disputing it - I understand that's the case. I just think it's a bad decision on the behalf of the creator and lessens the quality of the work. I've not read the manga and never have, so I can't really spoil anything. This is all new for me.

We're not disputing it - I understand that's the case. I just think it's a bad decision on the behalf of the creator and lessens the quality of the work. I've not read the manga and never have, so I can't really spoil anything. This is all new for me.

The arc is VERY long, so I really wouldn't assume the ants don't get character development or a greater connection to the world at large.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The arc is VERY long, so I really wouldn't assume the ants don't get character development or a greater connection to the world at large.

In that event that the ants do get developed somewhat, that still means there was a dramatic pacing problem; because at the moment the show just feels like aimless power level dick-waving. At the moment, the only single section of the ants I'm interested in are that of Kurt and the owl-ant, who are a little more established.

The spiders vs The Ants!!! I'm super curious how that would turn out. What's up with that weird flashback and the guy in the coat. Someone told me he has nothing to do with the current arc. Has he been revealed yet in the manga?

vareon

The chimera ants are freaks of nature. Only the hunters can stop them from becoming even more dangerous to the world outside NGL, but they won't be able to defeat them by one-on-one matchups, shonen style. You know that's not HxH's style.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The chimera ants are freaks of nature. Only the hunters can stop them from becoming even more dangerous to the world outside NGL, but they won't be able to defeat them by one-on-one matchups, shonen style. You know that's not HxH's style.

I don't want one-on-one match-ups? I just want a series of opponents that don't jump the shark, have compelling motivations, tie into the larger work, and generate tense fight scenes. So far in the Ant arc, and I'm more than willing to admit it may simply be a bad pacing issue which will be resolved, none of these boxes have yet been filled.

OmegaX

If he did, wouldn't he have used some type of nen blasts or something instead of standing there foolishly taking Gon's hit like that? Didn't really make much sense.

Like bigkrev said, he gave Gon a chance to give him a punch without him dodging because he was confident Gon wasn't strong enough to knock him out. Knuckle was wrong because Gon's Hatsu is a super Ko punch, plus he is an enhancer so his nen-powered punches are naturally strong. Still, he gave Gon all the time in the world to charge up his Rock punch and he was able to block most of it with his own Ko. That is something that not even Genthru was able to do in the exact same situation during the Greed Island arc.
The next time they are fighting at the end of the episode, he is taking them more seriously but still he isn't using anything more than basic attacks.

PG2G

I don't want one-on-one match-ups? I just want a series of opponents that don't jump the shark, have compelling motivations, tie into the larger work, and generate tense fight scenes.

You could argue that none of the main characters have had a real fight with Chimera ants yet and that everything that has happened so far is just setup and motivation for their training phase. I'm sure the fights will get better soon

Soriku

I don't want one-on-one match-ups? I just want a series of opponents that don't jump the shark, have compelling motivations, tie into the larger work, and generate tense fight scenes. So far in the Ant arc, and I'm more than willing to admit it may simply be a bad pacing issue which will be resolved, none of these boxes have yet been filled.

Considering this arc is supposed to be about as long as the rest of the series thus far combined, it's a little premature to be complaining about those things.

As for why the Ants are so strong, we're talking about several generations worth of Ants who have taken the best aspects of the species they're from, but now in this generation they have human mixed in them and with Nen they've gotten a big powerup so it's no wonder they're strong.

I was hoping to see the chairman and his 2 buddies fight. Since they've
wiped out a fair few groups so far. Hopefully they're saving them for future fights againest tougher Ants?

Shouta

You guys have watched enough to know power levels don't really mean that much in Hunter X Hunter except to explain how damn scary their Nen is. It doesn't exactly explain how powerful they really are though as much. As the abilities they develop with their Nen are what's really important. There are extreme cases but even then, there's a bit of logic to it.

Daingurse

You guys have watched enough to know power levels don't really mean that much in Hunter X Hunter except to explain how damn scary their Nen is. It doesn't exactly explain how powerful they really are though as much as the abilities they develop with their nen. There are extreme cases but even then, there's a bit of logic to it.

That's what makes a Nen fight so damn good and interesting. Nen abilities are OP as fuck, but also highly specialized.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I was rewatching the York Shin arc and something came into my mind when Kurapika wins the Scarlet Eyes during the auction. He personally goes himself to pick them up while the auctioneer mentions he works for the Nostrade family. Shouldn't that have put up a red alert on the Spiders especially since his chains were clearly visible and Pakunoda was there too!

Moaradin

Surprised nobody is talking about the new episode. Lots of good Palm moments in this one. She freaks me out.

I loved the pictures at the end.

Episode 88
tumblr_mpx3fjXchW1sndd4so1_400.gif

Killua makes the best faces, lol, that whole scene was too funny.

Excellent episode though kind of odd again
a lengthy period of training and Gon still struggles, what was it all for even? I wish it did like the other stories and had him cleanly and easily defeat knuckle like we expected.

Scene with Shiapouf is up there for one of the best scenes in the anime
though the third one awakening was kind of disappointing, he looks the weakest

Diablos54

Episode 88
tumblr_mpx3fjXchW1sndd4so1_400.gif

Killua makes the best faces, lol, that whole scene was too funny.

Excellent episode though kind of odd again
a lengthy period of training and Gon still struggles, what was it all for even? I wish it did like the other stories and had him cleanly and easily defeat knuckle like we expected.

Scene with Shiapouf is up there for one of the best scenes in the anime
though the third one awakening was kind of disappointing, he looks the weakest
Knuckle is strong. Very strong. Gon and Killua are still kids, you can't expect them to curb stomp someone like Knuckle within a week, and he hasn't even used his Nen ability yet! It would be like expecting Gon to easily beat Hisoka in the battle tower arc.

And if you still expect Gon/Killua/others to be easily winning left right and center, even after some training, you have another thing coming. That should be plainly obvious by this point in the arc.

Knuckle is strong. Very strong. Gon and Killua are still kids, you can't expect them to curb stomp someone like Knuckle within a week, and he hasn't even used his Nen ability yet! It would be like expecting Gon to easily beat Hisoka in the battle tower arc.

That just seems odd, if they cant even get Knuckle, then what could they even do to Neferpitou and co.Why would Netero even give them such a task, if it was THAT hard?

PG2G

That just seems odd, if they cant even get Knuckle, then what could they even do to Neferpitou and co.Why would Netero even give them such a task, if it was THAT hard?

I feel like these kind of shows are all about the growth of the characters. They are obviously growing from their training, but real growth comes from fighting against stronger opponents.

Netero could have given them this task because Knuckle and Shoot have hit their ceiling but he sees endless potential in Gon and Killua

Top Bottom