• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Mael

How did I miss the Kurapika Nen talk of last page?

It's not really spoiler since the anime covered it already no?

From what I got from HxH, his nen works this way :
Judgement chain works on everyone and set conditions, if condition fails it pierces its target.
When applied to the heart it means death, we've only seen him apply it to his heart or the hearts of his foes.
He can change the condition but we don't what the effect this does.
It seems linked to manipulation nen

Chain Jail, it puts what its on in a zetsu state.
He reinforced that one with the judgement chain so that it became hax.
The condition being : use it on anything but the spider means death.
As shown in the battle with Uvo it's linked to conjuration nen.

Holy chain, healing ring that heals broken bones and the likes.
Reinforcement type.

Dowsing Chain, it's the 1rst ability we see him use. He use it like....well a dowsing chain like how people with a dowsing branch try to find water sources and the likes....and there I thought all his finger skills would be linked to different types of nen but I don't see where this would fit...heck wiki seems to think judgement is conjuration too...
There goes the theory...

Also emperor time doesn't make Kurapika into a nen god, it only means he can use other types of nen at his full current potential.
Page 4 of chapter 83 shows that Kurapika as a conjuration user he can only use 60% of his strength in Reinforcement.
In normal condition, if he is say at lvl4 in Reinforcement in a battle condition he's only able to use 60% of what a lvl4 Reinforcement user could do.
What Emperor time does is allow him to fully master (through training) and use nen in a category that isn't his innate type.

Page 4 of chapter 108 say that he can only use Judgement chain while his eyes are scarlet (Emperor time).
So really it would mean that Judgement chain is a skill to demanding to use for him while not in Emperor time.
Page 5 even say it's Manupulation and emission...wiki is wrong Judgement is really manipulation and emission (probably conjuration to create the chain and THEN it's M + E for the conditions).

In short read page 6 of chapter 108 for how emperor time works.

Also last episode was fantastic, got chills from Gon going in insane mode.

I always thought that Kurapica's powers were a bit OP. The ones limited to the Spider are ok because the condition, but all the rest in one character that is new to Nen... yeah, I think Togashi still hadn't established what was normal for Nen users and went too far with Kurapica.

Mael

I always thought that Kurapica's powers were a bit OP. The ones limited to the Spider are ok because the condition, but all the rest in one character that is new to Nen... yeah, I think Togashi still hadn't established what was normal for Nen users and went too far with Kurapica.

I don't think so, he has always shown that resolved means a lot in HxH.
Kurapika has really only 2 goals in life, he used his determination to put hax upon hax on his skills for the chain jail.
Chain Jail is not op without judgement chain and JC is only possible because of Emperor time.
Heck from what we've seen without his eyes hax, Kurapika can only do dowsing chain...and that's rather lame in battle.
Really it's kind like bloodline limits in Naruto except they make sense here.

upandaway

Chain Jail is absolutely OP, and it's only possible because of Kurapika's crazy circumstances. Consider how Knuckle's ultimate goal with Potclean and the bank system, is just to induce Zetsu, and Kurapika can do it instantly alongside physically restraining the person. Knuckle can do it for 30 days but let's be real.

vareon

Chain Jail is absolutely OP, and it's only possible because of Kurapika's crazy circumstances. Consider how Knuckle's ultimate goal with Potclean and the bank system, is just to induce Zetsu, and Kurapika can do it instantly alongside physically restraining the person. Knuckle can do it for 30 days but let's be real.

Yeah, thankfully the circumstances are way too specific (reminded me of one of those crazy Yu-gi-oh card effects that can only be activated in one hell of a specific condition, lol). And if spiders knew this power he'll lose his element of surprise.

Mael

Chainjail only work on the ryodan, that's a severe limitation and if it's wrongly used it means Kurapika will be feeding worms :/.
Toritaten works on anyone if the conditions are met, Knuckle could probably have gotten more from his ability if he thought it through then again it's perfect for him the way it is.
It's basically the endgame of an attrition battle between him and his opponent, he's a very seasoned fighter too so he is able to react the correct way to his opponent.
Heck he's even able to correctly gauge his opponent when he applies his nen.
Meaning that against someone like Biske he'd know what was up in a matter of seconds if she tried to pull the BS she pulled in GI (much quicker than that scissor hunter).

Yeah, thankfully the circumstances are way too specific (reminded me of one of those crazy Yu-gi-oh card effects that can only be activated in one hell of a specific condition, lol). And if spiders knew this power he'll lose his element of surprise.

Exactly they can just claim they're no longer spiders and he can't use chain jail anymore (then again he should be able to remove his chain or change the condition).
Then again I'm pretty sure there's a loophole in how Kurapika works that wouldn't leave him that open in a case his game was up.

also 1vs1 he could kill anyone in the Ryodan, that's why he tried the strongest 1rst.
Since he can overpower Uvo he can overpower anyone wearing the spider tatoo.

LogicStep

also 1vs1 he could kill anyone in the Ryodan, that's why he tried the strongest 1rst.

I'm not sure that he could kill anyone 1v1. Uvo was the strongest in raw power so no one from the spiders will be able to break the chains if they are caught in them. That pretty much means he wins. But the other members are insanely strong and fast, they'd have to get hit by that first. Kurapika would need some Batman level of prep to get them all, in a 1v1 scenario without any of the spiders ever finding out who he is or how his powers work so that he has the advantage every single time. It would be interesting to see if he could catch up with Feitan.

zero_suit

I still don't think he could beat Feitan or Chrollo. Feitan has insane speed, and who knows how many abilities the latter has.

Kyuur

Chain Jail is his only really overpowered ability, the rest are standard. Iirc, for Judgement Chain to work it has to pierce the body, which would be tough against anyone with a strong aura even with Scarlet Eye Hax.

Just imagine how easily Hisoka could have killed him as well, considering he was not really a member of the Phantom Troupe, Chain Jail would have killed Kurapika. Someone with a nen ability to disguise another person as themselves, etc. There are definitely flaws.

Voice actor Banjou Ginga will succeed Ichirô Nagai as the voice of Chairman Netero. Link

Hopefully he can nail the 'I am an old man but you better fear me' voice. That is all I ask for.

Mael

I'm not sure that he could kill anyone 1v1. Uvo was the strongest in raw power so no one from the spiders will be able to break the chains if they are caught in them. That pretty much means he wins. But the other members are insanely strong and fast, they'd have to get hit by that first. Kurapika would need some Batman level of prep to get them all, in a 1v1 scenario without any of the spiders ever finding out who he is or how his powers work so that he has the advantage every single time. It would be interesting to see if he could catch up with Feitan.

I still don't think he could beat Feitan or Chrollo. Feitan has insane speed, and who knows how many abilities the latter has.

He doesn't need to as the YorkShin ark showed.
There's no straight up battle with no prep time in HxH anyway.
Kurapika is probably not on a level that would allow him to defeat Uvo if the latter knew that his chain was a conjuring nen and not a manipulation nen like he thought.
Foreknowledge is very important in HxH, and really if he tried to defeat Feitan or the boss instead of Uvo the result would have been similar.
Heck the one I see being the hardest to deal would probably be Franklin, I mean how do you approach someone like that?
Heck is the forced Zetsu stronger than the self control of Sharnalk?
And let's forget about Hisoka because aside from the king, the guards and netero I don't see anyone who could actually defeat him with his nen.

Even the premise of 1v1 is a bit flowed for me because it's really putting the scales favouring kurapika in a way.

Chain Jail is his only really overpowered ability, the rest are standard. Iirc, for Judgement Chain to work it has to pierce the body, which would be tough against anyone with a strong aura even with Scarlet Eye Hax.

Just imagine how easily Hisoka could have killed him as well, considering he was not really a member of the Phantom Troupe, Chain Jail would have killed Kurapika. Someone with a nen ability to disguise another person as themselves, etc. There are definitely flaws.

Would it really kill him if he didn't know he was faking? How would his nen know? The condition is probably that he has to use it on someone he knows is not a spider, which seems pretty safe. Also someone in control of the spiders could be considered a spider himself I guess.

To the poster above, I never really understood the whole need for secrecy regarding Kurapika's power and how it was so dangerous for the Troupe to learn his power was only useful against them. What could Uvo have done differently had he know he was a conjurer instead of a manipulator? Or that the judgment chain only worked against Troupe members? How would that knowledge have helped him in their fight?

VeeP

Gon and Killua have improved so much the past few arcs. I'm sure Kurapika has too. I wonder if current Gon and Killua were placed in the Yorknew Arc, how would they do? Still be captured? Would they be able to defeat some members?

OmegaX

What could Uvo have done differently had he know he was a conjurer instead of a manipulator?
Simple, if Uvo had known Kurapika was a conjurer instead of a manipulator he would have known that the chain can be made invisible with In and be bound to him without him noticing it unless he used Gyo. That's how Kurapika beat him. It's similar to how Hisoka attached his bungee gum to Gon's cheek during their fight.
Judgement chain was only able to pierce Uvo's skin because he was already in Zetsu state. If he had been able to use his aura he could have defended against it.

Popnbake

Gon and Killua have improved so much the past few arcs. I'm sure Kurapika has too. I wonder if current Gon and Killua were placed in the Yorknew Arc, how would they do? Still be captured? Would they be able to defeat some members?

I can see them defeating the weaker members who don't specialize in combat if it came
to it but then they would be perceived as actual threats instead of capable children for hostages.

upandaway

Would it really kill him if he didn't know he was faking? How would his nen know? The condition is probably that he has to use it on someone he knows is not a spider, which seems pretty safe. Also someone in control of the spiders could be considered a spider himself I guess.

To the poster above, I never really understood the whole need for secrecy regarding Kurapika's power and how it was so dangerous for the Troupe to learn his power was only useful against them. What could Uvo have done differently had he know he was a conjurer instead of a manipulator? Or that the judgment chain only worked against Troupe members? How would that knowledge have helped him in their fight?
The reason why Uvo was caught in Chain Jail despite being in full battle mode is because he didn't think to search for it (he was sure it was a real chain). He wouldn't have been caught otherwise, at least not as easily.

And Kurapika will definitely die if he breaks his condition, even without knowing about it. Think how his Dowsing Chain can find out things he doesn't know himself.
Now that the rest of the spiders know about his powers thanks to Pakunoda's sacrifice, they don't even view him as a problem (they said as much in the auction).

Would really depend on how many they were facing and the conditions of the battle. If Gon managed to get in a fully powered jajanken rock on any of them, they'd be dead. How that would actually happen is another story.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Would really depend on how many they were facing and the conditions of the battle. If Gon managed to get in a fully powered jajanken rock on any of them, they'd be dead. How that would actually happen is another story.

Edit- I'm dumb lol

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

There are also characters like that fishman and his sister, where its basically impossible to win unless the guy was really having a off day or was really sick or what have you, killua only survived him after making a guess that had such a high percentage of not working.

LogicStep

I'm sure Kurapika isn't a noob so even if they know how he operates he will find out that they know and he will change up his game plan. He's probably off somewhere getting stronger.

Einhander

I wonder how it's going to go down between Gon and Pitou. I hope we get to see a fight.

This anime desperately needs to be brought over on Blu-ray. I'd pay good money to have it.

Shouta

The reason why Uvo was caught in Chain Jail despite being in full battle mode is because he didn't think to search for it (he was sure it was a real chain). He wouldn't have been caught otherwise, at least not as easily.

And Kurapika will definitely die if he breaks his condition, even without knowing about it. Think how his Dowsing Chain can find out things he doesn't know himself.
Now that the rest of the spiders know about his powers thanks to Pakunoda's sacrifice, they don't even view him as a problem (they said as much in the auction).

That was the second time though. Uvogin was captured and restrained prior to that so if Kurapica wanted to capture the other Spiders, it would be possible. It would just be a matter of coming up with a plan that would allow him to do so. That's what Kurapica's real strength comes from too, strategy and his general intelligence.

Also, I don't think that he'd die if he broke the condition unwillingly on his Chain Jail. Remember that the Judgement Chain's effect didn't kick in on Chrollo until Hisoka presented himself as a non-spider. It probably requires both recognition and a truth-check (via the Dowsing Chain) for his Chain Jail to prevent a situation that Hisoka could bring up (i.e. revealing he wasn't a spider after being captured, etc). Also, remember that the Judgement Chain has up to two conditions. we only know one of them, that he can't use it on anyone other than the Troupe.

Since it hasn't been brought up yet, it's all speculation though.

On a side note, I don't remember "levels" being mentioned in the explanation of Nen. I've read it in Japanese a few times and I only remember seeing efficiency being pointed out. I can't pull up my volumes because they're in storage right now though. Does anyone remember what chapter this was in?

Jigolo

Nooooooooo~

That's unfortunate but has been happening lately. KLK past 3 weeks have been delayed like 12 hours. Last week for Magi instead of getting it on Sunday I believe we got it Monday morning (my time EST). Magi being pushed back because of the Olympics was known since last week though, so I wouldn't count that. And now HxH 2 hours...sigh.

Unexpected delays blow.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I assumed Magi changed timeslots to Tuesdays like HxH did. We got two episodes the week it changed over.

Jigolo

I assumed Magi changed timeslots to Tuesdays like HxH did. We got two episodes the week it changed over.

Probably then. Maybe it was Tuesday because I also remember the double episode. I didn't know the time change was official though.

Kieli

I wish Kurapika would get his ass beat. Don't matter who.

That bastard hacks. He shoulda got perma-banned. Cheatin' bogan.

If some day HxH returns to the Genei Ryodan saga...

I hope Kurapika dies. He could be used as an example of someone who couldn't let go and focused too much on vengeance.

I'm fine with that if the Spider die too. After reading what they did to the Kurta in the special chapters, they should definitely not be allowed to roam free.

Top Bottom