• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

I don't know if I missed it, but where did Gon get this sorta power from? He must be really confident in his own power if he thinks he can stand up to Pitou. Wasn't he incapacitated for a while before?

Nen powered by anger can be immensely strong. Nen with dire or a lot of restrictions and conditions can be devastating. Kurapika's Chain Jail is an example of that. He could have killed all of the Spiders if he wanted to, but Gon didn't want him to go on a murderous rampage.

Jigolo

Nen powered by anger can be immensely strong. Nen with dire or a lot of restrictions and conditions can be devastating. Kurapika's Chain Jail is an example of that. He could have killed all of the Spiders if he wanted to, but Gon didn't want him to go on a murderous rampage.

Doubt it.

Akainu

That was great. Though it is kind of ruined because the anime screwed up Kite and Gon's relationship. It still mind boggling how Hunter x Hunter just got 8 th in gaf's shitty anime of the year thread. GAH!

Doubt it.
What part of that do you doubt?

TheChits

That was great. Though it is kind of ruined because the anime screwed up Kite and Gon's relationship. It still mind boggling how Hunter x Hunter just got 8 th in gaf's shitty anime of the year thread. GAH!

How so?

Jigolo

Kurapika being able to kill all members of the Genei Ryodan if he wanted to.

Yonafunu

I guess because they decided to show Gon meeting Kite for the first time with flashbacks instead of showing their meeting at the beginning. Doesn't really bother me though.

Nah, their relationship is different too. Whereas in the anime Kite just saved his life in the past and they met and got to really know each other later in the Chimera Ant arc, in the manga Kite was much more of a mentor to Gon since the very beginning. In the manga they met when Kite saved him, and he stayed with him for a while, telling him about Ging, giving him Ging's Hunter License, etc. Basically, (a big part of) the mentoring he gave him in CA. He also inspired him to become a Hunter. So their relationship goes further back.

Popnbake

Kurapika being able to kill all members of the Genei Ryodan if he wanted to.

The fortune from Chrollo stated that if they decided to go after Kurapika then at least half of the group will die.

If he wanted to go all out then I think Kurapika had a decent chance of killing all of the members.

He could have just spirited them away one at a time like he had done with Chrollo and Uvo and kill them.

How so? I was pretty convinced that Gon and Kite developed a great relationship, to the point that I think started seeing him as a father figure. I did a marathon run of those episodes and even I started dreaming about it and being sad in my dream** that night that Kite died. I haven't read the manga either.

edit: Now that I read about what happened in the manga, I somewhat agree, but the anime still did a good job establishing they had a father-son/mentor type relationship. I remember being so devastated with what happened to Kite, I even dreamt** about it that night.

**= real talk, I actually also went out that night and got super drunk with friends. I was drunk texting a couple people about how sad I was about Kite, even the guy I was gonna hook up that night. Everyone obviously had no idea what I was talking about lol

Moaradin

Nah, their relationship is different too. Whereas in the anime Kite just saved his life in the past and they met and got to really know each other later in the Chimera Ant arc, in the manga Kite was much more of a mentor to Gon since the very beginning. In the manga they met when Kite saved him, and he stayed with him for a while, telling him about Ging, giving him Ging's Hunter License, etc. Basically, (a big part of) the mentoring he gave him in CA. He also inspired him to become a Hunter. So their relationship goes further back.

I still feel like we got all that in the anime. It was just done more recently instead of near the beginning.

Yonafunu

I still feel like we got all that in the anime. It was just done more recently instead of near the beginning.

I feel the time's a pretty big difference. If Gon and Kite developed this relationship in such a relatively short time in the anime, imagine what it's like when they have this relationship for such a long time in the manga. Kite, in a sense, made Gon the Hunter he is, and that is lost in the anime. In the overall picture it might nog matter much, but it gives a new dimension to Gon's state of mind and anger at this point in the anime.

OmegaX

We already know what would have happened if Kurapika went on a rampage (by Neon's predictions). Half of the spiders would have died.
It would have probably been the lame half: Kortopi, Machi, Shizuku, Pakunoda, Nobunaga, and Uvo, maybe Shalnark too. No way Kurapika could have killed Feitan or Chrollo.

I feel the time's a pretty big difference. If Gon and Kite developed this relationship in such a relatively short time in the anime, imagine what it's like when they have this relationship for such a long time in the manga. Kite, in a sense, made Gon the Hunter he is, and that is lost in the anime. In the overall picture it might nog matter much, but it gives a new dimension to Gon's state of mind and anger at this point in the anime.

Yeah I didn't get this immense bond they try to emphasize in the anime with just the flashback. I just felt it was more Gon being extremely pissed off over the injustice of what happened on somebody he relatively had a close acquaintance with.

As to Kurapika being able to kill all the spider members, they made it pretty clear his nen/red eyes thing is nearly unstoppable... with spider members. So basically outside of the spider members he's only a really decent fighter.

upandaway

It would have probably been the lame half: Kortopi, Machi, Shizuku, Pakunoda, Nobunaga, and Uvo, maybe Shalnark too. No way Kurapika could have killed Feitan or Chrollo.
If I remember right, among the ones who had their fortunes told only Pakunoda, Shalnark and Shizuku had it. I'm too lazy to check, oh well.

Machi definitely isn't on the level of the rest you mentioned, though. Hisoka really hyped her up.

Hmm, I'm just finding about how kite/gon relationship was built different in the manga and anime.

It does seem it would have more reason to be ragefull/want revenge from the manga account of their time spent together. Unless the relative time was the same and it was just in the front end in the manga and the back end in the anime.

From what I took from it from the anime, they became close in the relatively short period of time, kite was as good guy and a good link to his childhood, but kite was also so close to his dad, that fueled it as well. A line to his dad was taken away.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I had no idea 2011 left that stuff out. I skipped to like beginning of Yorkshin because of how many times I had read the manga/seen the original anime. Strange. Also strange there's a bunch of you that didn't realize if 2011 is your first time. Kite's impact on Gon is definitely significant.

I had no idea 2011 left that stuff out. I skipped to like beginning of Yorkshin because of how many times I had read the manga/seen the original anime. Strange. Also strange there's a bunch of you that didn't realize if 2011 is your first time. Kite's impact on Gon is definitely significant.

I feel like I missed out now. This felt a bit like those forced emotional scenes in shows where a character/family member dies in the first episode/scene of the movie and you're supposed to feel choked up even though you knew nothing of the character.

FluxWaveZ

Also strange there's a bunch of you that didn't realize if 2011 is your first time. Kite's impact on Gon is definitely significant.

I don't know about others, but I've been pretty consistent with my criticisms of Gon's anger regarding Kite's fate in the past. It didn't seem he would be that big of a deal to justify the rage, but if they cut some stuff out, it could make sense.

I don't know about others, but I've been pretty consistent with my criticisms of Gon's anger regarding Kite's fate in the past. It didn't seem he would be that big of a deal to justify the rage, but if they cut some stuff out, it could make sense.

I could see why he is so full of rage in how the anime did it because of how Gon's personality is and Kite's connection to his dad. Seems he gets emotionally attached easily.

Killua is more reasonable about it.

FluxWaveZ

I could see why he is so full of rage in how the anime did it because of how Gon's personality is and Kite's connection to his dad. Seems he gets emotionally attached easily.

Killua is more reasonable about it.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it was totally incomprehensible. Kite was pretty much the first time Gon came to befriend someone who was "killed", right? So I could see it.

Loudninja

Yeah, I wouldn't say it was totally incomprehensible. Kite was pretty much the first time Gon came to befriend someone who was "killed", right? So I could see it.
Yeah he wasn't just killed though his body was use as a training tool.

That brought out his full rage.

Man I need to go back and watch the episode with Kite's "death". I didn't really see it as a death the firat time, but there is a good chance I was doing something while watxhing the episode and missed the significance.

The manga relationship sounds so much than what they showed on the anime. Would have served as some great padding episodes to go back and look at it.

116 was a great relationship. Was really good to see Gon have his moment of boarding on evil that all main characters go through. I really thought that he would have gone through with it until she broke her arm.

An amazing episode. I am loving that Killua's dad will be around next episode.

Jigolo

Oh don't worry I keep up on the manga up to where the anime covers each week. I know what was changed in the manga to anime regarding Kite. And I also think it was a stupid move.

Oh don't worry I keep up on the manga up to where the anime covers each week. I know what was changed in the manga to anime regarding Kite. And I also think it was a stupid move.

I have been thinking of doing this, but keep delaying it. What volume is the manga on?

Jigolo

I have been thinking of doing this, but keep delaying it. What volume is the manga on?

You can read up to 276. That's where anime left off. And that's where I left off. But be warned the episodes don't match the chapters 1:1. The final 2 panels on chapter 276 are spoilers for next weeks episode. But it's really (really, reallly) minor and doesn't matter at all honestly.

I'd say go ahead and do it. You get to see first hand Togashi's shitty art and get to see scenes that were censored in the anime how they were meant to be seen.

Off Topic: First manga purchase ever was about 2 weeks ago and it was HxH volume one. I'm probably going to buy a few more volumes after the anime finishes and the blu ray sets

Kieli

Is Kurapika being able to take on the Spiders supposed to be impressive or something? He mega-cheated his powers. He's gimped against other capable Nen users (his stupid hax non-Spider chains be damned).

It's like Obito gaining the Sixth Sage's abilities or something equally stupid. I really could not care less that a scrub got powerful by haxing or stealing his/her abilities. Ugh.

Edit: I realize my last statement is a bit ironic when taking Chrollo into consideration. That dude is somethin' special. What I said doesn't apply to him.

Erigu

What bothers me the most is how Gon tells Killua that he's an outsider when it comes to the Kite situation. The way the TV series introduced Kite, it doesn't feel like Gon is particularly closer to him than Killua is ("oh, yeah, it's that guy I met some years back, I had completely forgotten about him until now"), so that comment feels off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is Kurapika being able to take on the Spiders supposed to be impressive or something? He mega-cheated his powers. He's gimped against other capable Nen users (his stupid hax non-Spider chains be damned).

If Kurapika's eyes turn red for any reason (say, Gon's in trouble, or something) he's basically a Nen god.

Aside from that, the only ability specific to the Phantom Troupe is Chain Jail / Judgment Chain. The normal chains, Holy Chain (able to heal basically any injury), the Dowsing Chain (not particularly useful in battle), and the abilities on his other three fingers which were never actually shown would be usable in a normal fight.

Aside from all that, he's just good at fighting period. Uvo broke his arm and he didn't even wince. He's super fast, moderately strong, and very intelligent.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Killua and Gon have surpassed him, though.

In a fight against anyone other than the Phantom Troupe, I'd say definitely. But we haven't seen what Kurapika's been up to since Yorknew. Last time he was out of the spotlight for an arc, he came back as the most hax Nen user ever.

The mere fact that Red Eyed Kurapika is 100% proficient in all nen type means the sky's pretty much the limit for him even when fighting non spiders.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
But he can only use it when fighting the spiders so there is no point.

I'm fairly certain that's not true. It's just based on his emotions. Obviously, the Spiders get him riled up, but I doubt they're the only things.

Top Bottom