• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New look at Star Wars: Skeleton Crew from a merchandise poster

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mana stop trying to hype this series. It will be shit like The Acolyte and everything SW Disney.

Andor and the first season of Mando were good. I won’t watch cuz I don’t like child characters in fiction but ya never know it could be good.

GymWolf

Gold Member
When you put someone on ignore because out of a big list you somehow know "for a fact" they didn't watch two items on it, proving they're a troll. Yes, yes that is the real reason for it, absolutely. lol

By the way, I haven't seen Bad Batch but The Force Awakens was the first time I went to the theater to watch a new SW movie and rolled my eyes in boredom IN THE THEATER. The only reason it's the best of the 3 is because it's a copy/paste of ANH. Even Episode 2 was more interesting than that. I never watched it again. Is it really that hard to believe someone who dislikes this film actually watched it?
I think people think "highly" of the force awakens because the last jedi and the sequel are the most terrible dogshit in existence.

But i thought tfa was terrible aswell tbh, copy\paste or not.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I think people think "highly" of the force awakens because the last jedi and the sequel are the most terrible dogshit in existence.

But i thought tfa was terrible aswell tbh, copy\paste or not.
TFA was still a good setup for a new trilogy imo, even though it used a very very familiar template. TLJ is where it all went wrong, and TRoS was the result of rectifying all the problems created in TLJ. I think if JJ Abram’s directed all three, with Kasdan co-writing and the trilogy had a singular vision, we’d be having a different conversation.

GymWolf

Gold Member
TFA was still a good setup for a new trilogy imo, even though it used a very very familiar template. TLJ is where it all went wrong, and TRoS was the result of rectifying all the problems created in TLJ. I think if JJ Abram’s directed all three, with Kasdan co-writing and the trilogy had a singular vision, we’d be having a different conversation.
Yeah not for me it wasn't.
I never liked the finn character at all, kylo was a shitty ass villain and rey was whatever.

The only salvageable point of tfa for me was poe and db8, the rest was bad copy paste and nostalgia, decrepit han solo glazing everything rey does can only bring me that much joy (none).

But sure, if the last 2 movies were better the trilogy would be just bad instead of utter shite.

Edit: i also liked snoke, too bad they wasted him to empower the crybaby spastic.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
TFA was woeful. Abrams squandered a decent cast with that drivel of a movie. I battled against the defenders of this movie (and the sequel) over in the purple place.

As I've said in numerous other threads, the only true sequel trilogy is Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy. Wish it had been shot shortly after the OG trilogy 😭

Last edited:

ManaByte

I still believe the reason why JJ Abrams hasn't made a movie since TROS is because he nearly killed Harrison Ford on the set of TFA and no one wants to hire a potential Landis situation.

near

Gold Member
I still believe the reason why JJ Abrams hasn't made a movie since TROS is because he nearly killed Harrison Ford on the set of TFA and no one wants to hire a potential Landis situation.
He was busy with Demimonde for like 2 years before it got canned. Bad Robot have an insane number of projects in the pipeline, not sure what’s going on there these days tho. Shame he hasn’t worked on anything since, he had momentum.

Toots

Gold Member
He was busy with Demimonde for like 2 years before it got canned.
Did not know about Demimonde and it being another corporate approved scifi story, which made me laugh a lot because "demi-monde" is a term for a certain type of prostitution in France, where the women partaking are called "demi-mondaines". It's basically 19th century sugardaddy relationships.

I wish some french producer create a drama about a team of chicken farmers, hailing from Yoass county, trying to win a bowling competition to save their farms, and call it "Cocks and balls in Yoass"

ape2man

aHbwj5c.jpeg

He looks like he has one of these

That was AMAZING....... when i was 12

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I thought he just crushed his leg.....

ManaByte

I thought he just crushed his leg.....

He was crushed under a hydraulic stage door. JJ Abrams burst a disk in his back trying to lift it off him. Landis killed Vic Marrow and two child actors by crushing them with a helicopter. JJ Abrams nearly crushed Harrison Ford to death with a hydraulic door.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
He was crushed under a hydraulic stage door. JJ Abrams burst a disk in his back trying to lift it off him. Landis killed Vic Marrow and two child actors by crushing them with a helicopter. JJ Abrams nearly crushed Harrison Ford to death with a hydraulic door.

I know what Landis did. Tragic. I guess JJ was lucky he only killed Star Wars and not Harrison Ford.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
X user found it at Hobby Lobby. Shows the kid cast and the droid (Jude law is in silhouette). It's a group of kids who find a ship on their planet and it takes off while they're exploring it. They get lost in space and it's assumed that Jude Law is who helps them get back home (he's a Force user). It's like a combination of Explorers and Goonies set in Star Wars from the director of the last Spider-Man trilogy.

Set in the same era as the Mando shows.

wdyPcoM.jpeg

Gives me shitty Caravan of Courage vibes. Gross. And I KNOW there's a bunch of you that probably love these

qho6EoQ.jpeg

Doom85

I mean, some directors would probably see to someone else helping Ford, so I think Abrams should at least get credit for taking initiative, also why is a director being blamed for something the set designers should have made sure wouldn’t be an issue?

Ah, here we go, yep the actual culprits paid up. Blaming Abrams makes no sense then.

Hugare

Releasing a series with child actors when the interest on the IP is going from bad to worse is certainly a bold choice

Goonies worked because it was the 80's. Today, it would have been cringy. Havent seen someone replicating its success nowadays, and I doubt that Disney will pull it off.

ManaByte

also why is a director being blamed for something the set designers should have made sure wouldn’t be an issue?

Because it's a director's responsibility that the set is safe. Landis didn't set off the pyro that caused the helicopter to crash, but he still went on trial for murder because it was his responsibility.

ManaByte

Havent seen someone replicating its success nowadays, and I doubt that Disney will pull it off.

The key to Goonies (which Jon Watts understands actually) is with kids movies of the 80s like Explorers, Goonies, etc is that the kid actors would talk over each other. JJ Abrams did that in Super 8, and Seth Rogan did it in TMNT: Mutant Mayhem. Other movies with kids didn't realize that because that's how kids talk and they had them acting like adults waiting their turn.

Doom85

Because it's a director's responsibility that the set is safe.

Well, as far as I can tell, this production company was blamed and faced charges and not Abrams. So the law has spoken on this already though you’re free to disagree if you wish.

ManaByte

Well, as far as I can tell, this production company was blamed and faced charges and not Abrams. So the law has spoken on this already though you’re free to disagree if you wish.

JJ Abrams gets a pass on a lot of things. JW Rinzler wrote a Making Of TFA like his OT books. In those Lucasfilm gave him full uncensored access to the archives and he wrote the definitive documentation of the making of the OT across three books detailing everything warts and all. Everyone should read them. He did the same thing with The Force Awakens but since the book tarnished JJ Abrams ego he had Lucasfilm cancel it and delete it so it can never be released.

near

Gold Member
JJ Abrams gets a pass on a lot of things. JW Rinzler wrote a Making Of TFA like his OT books. In those Lucasfilm gave him full uncensored access to the archives and he wrote the definitive documentation of the making of the OT across three books detailing everything warts and all. Everyone should read them. He did the same thing with The Force Awakens but since the book tarnished JJ Abrams ego he had Lucasfilm cancel it and delete it so it can never be released.

First the accusations of health & safety negligence and now another false narrative about how he sabotaged Rinzler’s book for he’s own ego. This slander must not continue! Leave my Abrams alone!

It was actually your studio darling Disney that didn’t want the book published:

"There were a lot of things that were known to the public that I think Disney and Kathleen Kennedy just didn't want to rehash." - JW Rinzler

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, if folks aren't holding Alec responsible for pointing a gun at his DP and director and shooting them, how is Landis responsible for the pilot that crashed a helicopter or JJ responsible for a door that malfunctioned?

ManaByte

First the accusations of health & safety negligence and now another false narrative about how he sabotaged Rinzler’s book for he’s own ego. This slander must not continue! Leave my Abrams alone!

It was actually your studio darling Disney that didn’t want the book published:

"There were a lot of things that were known to the public that I think Disney and Kathleen Kennedy just didn't want to rehash." - JW Rinzler

No it was JJ. He didn't want people to know it was he who threw out Lucas' outline for Episode VII (which became TLJ) and the Michael Arndt draft that was based on it. He didn't want people to know how much TFA changed before release. There was an entire different opening that begun with Luke's severed hand floating in space and showed the backstory of the saber and how Maz got it. That was all filmed and cut, like one filmed shot of Kylo from it made it into the final cut.

Or how he wanted Bad Robot to take over Star Wars and own the merchandise. Which Hasbro revolted over after JJ fucked them with the TFA toys: They require a certain number of characters to fit a wave in a case. For the first wave JJ Abrams didn't want to give up his Mystery Box so he gave Hasbro a character that didn't even appear in the movie. They ended up with millions of unsold figures. Then he sicced Disney's lawyers on fans who were able to buy the Resistance Base Rey figure (the one with a lightsaber) before the movie came out.

Your hero isn't a hero.

jason10mm

Gold Member
No it was JJ. He didn't want people to know it was he who threw out Lucas' outline for Episode VII (which became TLJ) and the Michael Arndt draft that was based on it. He didn't want people to know how much TFA changed before release. There was an entire different opening that begun with Luke's severed hand floating in space and showed the backstory of the saber and how Maz got it. That was all filmed and cut, like one filmed shot of Kylo from it made it into the final cut.
That makes no sense. Cloud City was in space, it was in CLOUDS, over a gas planet or whatever, Luke's hand (and saber) would have fallen straight down into the atmosphere. Better to have it be stuck in a vent shaft or something.

near

Gold Member

Or how he wanted Bad Robot to take over Star Wars and own the merchandise. Which Hasbro revolted over after JJ fucked them with the TFA toys: They require a certain number of characters to fit a wave in a case. For the first wave JJ Abrams didn't want to give up his Mystery Box so he gave Hasbro a character that didn't even appear in the movie. They ended up with millions of unsold figures. Then he sicced Disney's lawyers on fans who were able to buy the Resistance Base Rey figure (the one with a lightsaber) before the movie came out.

Your hero isn't a hero.
I'll take your word on the first part since you do know your Star Wars lore.

Yeah I read something about him wanting the merchandising rights, I cannot remember where I read that now.

For the record, he isn't my hero. I do very much love he's films however. :p

ManaByte

That makes no sense. Cloud City was in space, it was in CLOUDS, over a gas planet or whatever, Luke's hand (and saber) would have fallen straight down into the atmosphere. Better to have it be stuck in a vent shaft or something.

Mark Hamill confirmed that was originally the opening shot:

The original opening went from that and tracing the history of the saber being bought by someone and then used to fight against the Knights of Ren and then Maz is seen stealing it while the guy who bought it was distracted. All of that was filmed and cut. The shot of the Knights of Ren in the rain that's in TFA is from it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Mark Hamill confirmed that was originally the opening shot:

The original opening went from that and tracing the history of the saber being bought by someone and then used to fight against the Knights of Ren and then Maz is seen stealing it while the guy who bought it was distracted. All of that was filmed and cut. The shot of the Knights of Ren in the rain that's in TFA is from it.
Let's fanwank how this could work. Luke's hand and saber fall down that big shaft, ends up in a waste bin, gets carried out and dumped into space because they don't dump trash straight down to the planet to avoid contaminating the tibanna gas mining.

Because...not in space!
5oi6UzA.jpeg

Doom85

he gave Hasbro a character that didn't even appear in the movie. They ended up with millions of unsold figures. Then he sicced Disney's lawyers on fans who were able to buy the Resistance Base Rey figure (the one with a lightsaber) before the movie came out.

-Did this unused character appear in any trailers?

-could you provide links for this claim of him trying to sue fans over buying a figure? Googling it only led me to find articles of Abrams criticizing Hasbro for prioritizing pretty much all the male characters over Rey which doesn’t shock me at all given how some merchandise manufacturers seem to think sometimes. I remember back in 2012 seeing a kids’ Avengers shirt being sold and it had all five male Avengers but no Black Widow. I mean, never mind Hawkeye is mind-controlled for most of the 2012 film and only joins the good guys for the final forty minutes of the film so such a choice is stupid for that reason alone, but let me tell you, in the 90’s as a kid if I was given a Power Rangers shirt and it only had Jason, Zack, Billy, and Tommy but no Trini or Kimberly, I would have been like:

GIF by SkySlope

GymWolf

Gold Member
Releasing a series with child actors when the interest on the IP is going from bad to worse is certainly a bold choice

Goonies worked because it was the 80's. Today, it would have been cringy. Havent seen someone replicating its success nowadays, and I doubt that Disney will pull it off.
Goonies also worked because it was a great movie, not every movie or series with childs was successful.

Let's not rewrite history to make excuses on why this thing is probably gonna crash and burn.

Last edited:

ManaByte

-Did this unused character appear in any trailers?
Nope.

OIP.m91CCXQiNfVBpJ9CBIRFJgHaJ1

could you provide links for this claim of him trying to sue fans over buying a figure?

I personally got threatened and they suspended one of my Twitter accounts all because Hasbro shipped the figure before the movie was out and it spoiled JJ's misdirection marketing. I also know others who were threatened over it.

near

Gold Member
Nope.

OIP.m91CCXQiNfVBpJ9CBIRFJgHaJ1

I personally got threatened and they suspended one of my Twitter accounts all because Hasbro shipped the figure before the movie was out and it spoiled JJ's misdirection marketing. I also know others who were threatened over it.

Serious allegations require receipts. JJ Abrams is an innocent man, and an excellent director until proven otherwise.

NickFire

I have no faith that Disney's committees can write and film a movie that will resonate like the Goonies. But who knows.

Top Bottom