• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Matrix Trilogy Supposedly in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

Don't know where they could possibly take the story after the first trilogy but I am okay with this.

Edit: On second thought I think I would much rather see a TV series instead of a trilogy. Give me 2-3 quality seasons of a Matrix show on HBO or something :D They would be able to cover a much larger story with a TV series instead of running through everything too fast in what would be most likely a prequel trilogy.

Dabanton

I'd like to see

One film
Chris Nolan - Director
Wachowski - producers
Writers - Jonathan Nolan, David S Goyer with help from wachowskis

Second Film

Zack Snyder -Director
Wachowski - Producers
Writer - ?

Third Film

Unknown

Nolan can't shoot action like the Wachowski's all of his films have had some very dodgy action sequences very 'flat' imo.

The Wachowski followed the Kung Fu cinema filming style wide open shots, no quick cuts the actors trained as hard as they could to be able to do the moves and the wire work which is absolutely exhausting, it's all there on the screen. I want to see that sort of dedication again.

I would like them if they had to choose a director to look at someone like Joe Wright. 'Hanna' had he same sort of ethos all there on the screen, one shot fight scenes. amazing stuff.

vazel

Banned
I hope this comes to pass. This franchise deserves another chance after the bad sequels and videogames.

120v

if they have a legit good idea for another trilogy, sure. but i doubt they do

even with the first movie i was like, "oh that was pretty cool" ... but it didn't really floor me like everybody else.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
A real big live action recounting of the machine war leading up to the first matrix would be pretty fuckin cool. One of my favorite scenes in a movie ever (sad as the rest of the flick could be at times) was the conversation Neo has with the King of the Machines towards the end of Revolutions. The effect of all the nano-ish bots making up his baby face, his rage/gentle attitude swings, his no bullshit honesty and dat grin... all superbly done for a completely digital and minor character.

Show me the machine city 01 and how it grew and the violence starting with the world stage as a backdrop in 1 - show the beginning and turn towards machine dominance in 2 - show the machines mopping up, the first matrix and the birth of the resistance/First Zion in 3 and there ya go...

A machine war prequel only works if humans are shown as the bad guys.

Anyway that stories been told, I'd rather they move forward. Open with Zion being nuked.

FTF

Meh, The matrix movies are all overrated crap.

I don't see how there's anyway one could say that about the first one. It was pretty freakin ground breaking in 1999 and still holds up well today.

Anyway, I welcome another movie (or even trilogy). Yeah Revelations sucked, but the original is excellent and Reloaded is good (enough), so I'm cool revisiting the world, etc.

vazel

Banned
Does anyone else remember how the machine war was originally going to be a big budget anime movie with production values on par with Akira? In the end we got The Animatrix which was good but it's still not what we were promised.

I don't see how there's anyway one could say that about the first one. It was pretty freakin ground breaking in 1999 and still holds up well today.

It had some nice special effects. Story wise though it was very similar to Dark City. In fact I think the Matrix even reused some of the sets.

If it's a prequel, I can't wait to see people pit this against the star wars prequels.

I really hope they don't do a prequel though, they almost never work.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't want a prequel... I want it to be set in the Matrix, but at the level of the common man, not The One.

Start the film with the conceit that this is the real world. We all know it's The Matrix, but a new protagonist doesn't, and the film should play with that. We will see his/her life, and how it's unsatisfactory, just as Neo's was.

The protagonist would break out of the Matrix, not by being yanked out by Zionites, but through self-mastery. If the first one was about other people coming down and telling you that you are Jesus, this one would be more like the quest of the Buddha. This is a person who begins to suspect that the pleasures of the Matrix are unsatisfactory and illusory, and rejects them in search for a higher reality. He/she is inspired by rumors of a religious figure before him: that being Neo.

Of course, it's not about a guy meditating in his room. There would be characters and events in his life that dramatize this quest for "spiritual" realization and escape from the Matrix. And once he does begin to break free, of course he does attract the attention of Zion and the Agents. You can get to the kung fu and gunplay just the same.

In this way, I think they could explore the most interesting aspect of these films, which is the way that the Matrix is a metaphor for everyday, mundane reality. The original trilogy of films spent about 30 minutes exploring that before Neo was yanked out to become Kung Fu Jesus. This was why several of the Animatrix shorts were so compelling.. putting us back into the Matrix from the perspective of the everyday person living within it, slowly awakening to the mystery.

JimiNutz

Banned
The universe itself has so much potential but I suspect that it may need different directors.
There's a lot of room in there for brilliant stories if they go with prequels

I read this news this morning and then watched all three movies today.

The second and third are pretty bad on their own, but work a lot better when viewing the entire trilogy.

Fine by me as long as we can get more fighting scenes like in Reloaded and Revolutions. As great as they are, the cgi and animations look incredibly dated.

sn00zer

Lolino Review
so many BS rumors from them in the last year...that said I would love to see a movie based on era of The Second Renaissance anime films

EDIT: Animatrix is sorely underrated.....absolutely amazing and wish more studios would do something like that again

Even if the movies are atrocious I'll pay a fine sum of money for a new trilogy. Just give me some more mediocre Keanu Reeves acting..... At least a cameo.

Wiktor

QgQTNIZ.gif

Was going to post the same gif. So conflicted :D

Matrix fans help me out. Did neo have powers in the real world? And if so, how?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_(The_Matrix)#The_Matrix_Online
After Halborn's removal in Chapter 10, little more was questioned until the revelation of the Trinity project, originally headed by The Oracle, in Chapter 12. It was revealed that both Neo and Trinity were actually the culmination of decades of Machine research into translating human DNA perfectly into Machine code, allowing them to interface directly with technology without the need for simulated interfaces.

I want to see Paul Greengrass as the director, all those shaky cam Kung Fu fight scenes all blurry as hell, that would be hilarious.

Relevant..

Time for a reboot? There so much untapped potential in that universe.

Only if Warner wants to attempt it without the involvement of the Wachowskis because very recently they have mocked the trend of endless sequels and reboots in three different interviews!

http://www.cinemateaser.com/2013/07...ykwer-lana-et-andy-wachowski-pour-cloud-atlas
http://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/d...aum-deinen-stamm-deine-spezies/7370754-4.html
http://www.morgenpost.de/kultur/ber...rum-Tom-Tykwer-sich-an-Cloud-Atlas-wagte.html

Machine translation:

You already talked about this in an article in the New Yorker, in which you said that cinema should not be run like the stock market ...

LW: Yes, today, movies are reduced to simple products. Everyone wonders how such a project cost, how it reported in its first weekend. This is a negation of art, soul. If we made this analogy with the stock market, this is because studios are now run by huge corporations. They make decisions based on that economic models. That is why we only see JAMES BOND 12, TWILIGHT 19, THE HOBBIT 6 or SPIDER-MAN 24 ...

AW: Reboot!

LW: Rebooted, yes! All because the public and majors prefer products without originality.

Let this optimism even in the face of the risk of "Cloud Atlas" exercise? The opening weekend in the U.S. this 100-million-dollar independent film has recorded less than ten million dollars. Does that make you nervous?

ALL THREE: The film is the reward.

LANA W.: Of course we want our investors to pay back the money, otherwise there is a day at the movies, only the 27 "Twilight" series and the 99th Bond film. Sartre has said all materialist philosophies reduce art to the object-like. Exactly happens when you "Cloud Atlas" is measured at the box office. How it works oppression, the market will fix it: It reduces people to numbers and balances. But the art is beyond the question of whether one can do with their money. Of "Moby Dick" was initially only 100 copies have sold. But what a force is Melville's novel, with its montage of various narrative forms, mixed with historical and philosophical digressions psychological and obsessive! Without "Moby Dick" there would not be Joyce's "Ulysses", the whole post-modern literature, not even "Cloud Atlas". It's pathetic to evaluate the "Moby Dick" on its initial run.

Tykwer: See, now it has Lana carried away again.

Lana Wachowski: Exactly. Here you find all classes and races, all take to this place and make it theirs. You find no longer in Manhattan and certainly not in Los Angeles. Hollywood is something we are never interested in all three.

Andy Wachowski: In Hollywood products are made. Not more. And repeating the same products. Exactly which they believe that the public wants it. How boring.

Lana Wachowski: James Bond is such an example. Always the same, with minor changes. And if even a few more changes to come, all the talk already of restart. Oh look, the new Q, how funny!

Morgenpost Online: You can not gossip about the new Q yet. Ben Whishaw, who plays him, but is also one of your main characters!

Tom Tykwer: Oh, his Q is good. And we love Ben.

Lana Wachowski: But it's just the eternal recurrence of the same thing. Take the "Twilight" series. Now comes another "The Hobbit" after the "Lord of the Rings." Batman, Spiderman ... In all this, it's all about products, not about content or even visions.

Morgenpost Online: And you will now continue making movies together?

Andy Wachowski: We very much hope.

Lana Wachowski: we are made ​​for it.

Tom Tykwer: We must unravel even better with the credit for the only.

The hobbit isn't quite the same as bond/batman or whatever else they were listing. It's not a reboot or remake or anything. It's a completely separate story that was written before the LOTR (if i remember right lol).

Whilst in general i agree with them i'm not sure this should rule out a new matrix trilogy all together. The universe really hasn't been nearly fully explored, there are so many interesting concepts that could be used to make new movies. It may also be a way for the wachowskis to ensure more funding for future new projects that they want to do.

andthebeatgoeson

Anyway, I welcome another movie (or even trilogy). Yeah Revelations sucked, but the original is excellent and Reloaded is good (enough), so I'm cool revisiting the world, etc.
I would say it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. I'm not into 'top anything' but I can say they achieved a lot with the first film.

The hobbit isn't quite the same as bond/batman or whatever else they were listing. It's not a reboot or remake or anything. It's a completely separate story that was written before the LOTR (if i remember right lol).

Whilst in general i agree with them i'm not sure this should rule out a new matrix trilogy all together. The universe really hasn't been nearly fully explored, there are so many interesting concepts that could be used to make new movies. It may also be a way for the wachowskis to ensure more funding for future new projects that they want to do.

I agree the inclusion of The Hobbit was unfair. They could have said instead the same thing about the splitting of The Hobbit to a trilogy.

To me it makes no sense that they are preparing a new Matrix trilogy while they are also in the process of developing a Jupiter Ascending trilogy (with part 1 already shot).

I mean let's read the article:

Speed Racer/Cloud Atlas tanked and let’s not kid ourselves, by the looks of it, Jupiter Ascending will not be much better.

Ok, so their next $$$ expensive movie will most certainly flop and Warner thinks the best thing to do is to trust the same guys to make another $$$ expensive movie? How does that make any sense?!

Warner Bros. is desperate for a surefire franchise and will be making a push to have the new Matrix films ready to up against any new Star Wars and Avatar films by 2017.

This early? What about Jupiter?

PorllM

Banned
I watched 2 & 3 when they were new once and have never watched them since. Can't even remember a lot of the story but I know I wasn't impressed. The first one however I watched dozens of times back in the day, it's one of my favourite sci-fi films of all time. If this is done properly it could be incredible.

Hope it's better than the last one. Interested to see what more there is to do with it. Not gonna lie, if they can pull off a compelling story without repeating tropes of the first one too much it could be awesome

I don't want a prequel... I want it to be set in the Matrix, but at the level of the common man, not The One.

Start the film with the conceit that this is the real world. We all know it's The Matrix, but a new protagonist doesn't, and the film should play with that. We will see his/her life, and how it's unsatisfactory, just as Neo's was.

The protagonist would break out of the Matrix, not by being yanked out by Zionites, but through self-mastery. If the first one was about other people coming down and telling you that you are Jesus, this one would be more like the quest of the Buddha. This is a person who begins to suspect that the pleasures of the Matrix are unsatisfactory and illusory, and rejects them in search for a higher reality. He/she is inspired by rumors of a religious figure before him: that being Neo.

Of course, it's not about a guy meditating in his room. There would be characters and events in his life that dramatize this quest for "spiritual" realization and escape from the Matrix. And once he does begin to break free, of course he does attract the attention of Zion and the Agents. You can get to the kung fu and gunplay just the same.

In this way, I think they could explore the most interesting aspect of these films, which is the way that the Matrix is a metaphor for everyday, mundane reality. The original trilogy of films spent about 30 minutes exploring that before Neo was yanked out to become Kung Fu Jesus. This was why several of the Animatrix shorts were so compelling.. putting us back into the Matrix from the perspective of the everyday person living within it, slowly awakening to the mystery.

I think this could work; it would need to be different enough from the original films to stand more on its own, but the trickiest part will be to still convey a sense of a zeitgeist state/psychological paranoia and nihilism the original (and to a lesser extent the sequels) did so well. This one could take a more subtle approach to that, it just can't be too subtle.

Also, and this is just a personal thing, but they better not try to make it PG-13. I hate Hollywood for doing this trend; a lot of old franchises being brought back seem to get nerfed, and it's just annoying. Robocop being the latest victim. Movies like The Matrix are mass-palatable, but to an extent, and I think the first movie did as much taming of offensive material as possible while still staying true to itself and the cyberpunk setting. Not that it was even that violent, just maybe more conceptually sophisticated for thinking adults.

Which actually worries me even more they'll gun for a lower rating, or at least stupify most of the high-end concepts so more people can understand (immediately ruins any depth the film would of had).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom