• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Bloody-well caved and bought an XL. Glad I did. Makes the 3DS experience a lot better and as usual from Nintendo, we have the system they should have launched in the first place :D

I am depressed. I had no idea about the $100 trade in deal until today at gamestop. None of my gamestops around me have extras and the deal ends on Sunday. :(

Trade it in now and wait until they get more. It wont take that long. Alternativly, go to the store, trade in the system and have them buy you one from the website and ship it to the store. They can apply your store credit.

gogogow

Bloody-well caved and bought an XL. Glad I did. Makes the 3DS experience a lot better and as usual from Nintendo, we have the system they should have launched in the first place :D

You could say the same about other consoles and or handhelds. HW makers needs costs reduced and technology becomes cheaper and more affordable over time.

MS should've launched the 360 Jasper, Sony should've launched the PS3 Slim/PSP-2000 etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks, got a reply straight away with refunded delivery - still, would have preferred to have had it today! :

Same. 18 euros brings the cost down to £120ish which is good, especially if I can sell my old XL for £100

Would have still preferred it yesterday

You could say the same about other consoles and or handhelds. HW makers needs costs reduced and technology becomes cheaper and more affordable over time.

MS should've launched the 360 Jasper, Sony should've launched the PS3 Slim/PSP-2000 etc.

I know what you mean, but is the hardware in those necessarily faster/better, like the CPU in the N3DS is or the improved 3D? Do their features really improve the user experience the way the N3DS does? Yes, slim versions of consoles are generally a bit cheaper for the consumer but they're also cheaper for the manufacturer, too. The Vita remake even ditched the OLED screen for a lower quality screen.

Heartfyre

Just got my N3DS XL half an hour ago. The pikmin are currently moving the data from my launch OG 3DS to this new colossus. I actually hadn't seen an XL in person before, somehow, and I'm astounded at how gargantuan the screens are in comparison. Very happy with it, but I'm looking forward to actually playing something on it to get a good feel for the thing. I'm not one to normally buy two iterations of the same console, but the improvements are so drastic and my backlog so swollen that I feel it's worth the upgrade. Especially at that amazing Amazon.fr price.

EDIT: Felt a bit sad when my OG 3DS went back to its start-up menu. I played a lot of games on that thing. Goodnight, sweet prince. :(

Skelter

Banned
I'm finally home! I waited from 12-4 am in front of Nintendo World to get my damn new 3DS. It was a brutal wait. Took almost no time to move everything over and it was pretty much flawless.

vqP3k9q.jpg
XdGfBcC.jpg

gogogow

I know what you mean, but is the hardware in those necessarily faster/better, like the CPU in the N3DS is or the improved 3D? Do their features really improve the user experience the way the N3DS does? Yes, slim versions of consoles are generally a bit cheaper for the consumer but they're also cheaper for the manufacturer, too. The Vita remake even ditched the OLED screen for a lower quality screen.

I would say waaaaay more reliable hardware and bigger storage capacity definitely improves user experience (360 Jasper and PS3 slim).

I specifically mentioned PSP-2000, because it had similar improvements like the N3DS.

The PSP 2000 system is 19% thinner and 33% lighter than the original PSP system (reduced from 23 mm to 18.6 mm and from 280 grams [9.87 ounces] to 189 grams [6.66 ounces]). Internal changes to achieve this include the removal of a metal chassis (used to reduce damage in the event of sudden trauma to the system resulting from the user dropping the system on a hard surface).

Other changes include improved WLAN modules and Micro-controller, and a thinner and much brighter LCD. To cater for the original PSP generation's poor load times of UMD games, the internal memory (RAM and Flash ROM) was doubled from 32 MB to 64 MB with a part of it now acting as a cache, which also improved the web browser's performance

I forgot how much of a pain it was to transfer stuff to my Mac but I survived and mission accomplished. Just waiting for Monster Hunter to download and I managed to not strip the screws :D

DagsJT

Amazon France still seems to think my order will arrive yesterday. Investing in drones *and* Time Travel - impressive. Chronopost still has it stuck in Leipzig where it hasn't moved since yesterday morning :(

Was going to trade my XL in this weekend which I can't now do. Tempted to just buy one in store and return the Amazon one, but it seems petty for the sake of a couple days delay.

I noticed that Chronopost replied to someone on Twitter and said it'll arrive on Monday.

Why Amazon shipped it so late considering it was going to another country, and where Leipzig fits into post between France and England ... I'm baffled.

I was also tempted to get the Argos deal and refuse delivery but then I'd be waiting a while for the refund etc. As you said, just seems petty.

I've also went on the chat with Amazon.fr and asked for postage refunded. The advisor refused and said to wait until it arrives and contact them again. I'll try the email route instead.

I was a little bummed out yesterday about slightly stripping a screw (didn't hear the click) and making the space where you pry the back cover off a little bigger from the stylus but I am over it.

I was debating on being a bit scummy and returning the system and say it doesn't work but it really doesn't matter. It's not even noticeable. I just know it's there because I did it. I have to go very close to see.

I guess it gives the system character. I waited two hours in the cold for it, which was probably an unnecessary move since I wanted the New Red console, so this one is mine.

Eh, probably didn't help that I was tired and sick yesterday and didn't even boot up Majora's Mask or Monster Hunter. Good times ahead for me and my n3DS.

Forsythia

I installed a 32gb card and, in Data Management, it says:

"Open Blocks: -----"

What's the deal?

As soon as you connect to your pc, it will show the correct amount.

Question: is there any word on the releasedates of new cover plates in Europe? The ones already available aren't that great to be honest.

Am I just imagining it or is the Zelda N3DS XL more resistant to finger marks than the regular N3DS XL?

I've had a blue one since Nov and just got my Majora's Mask system today and I swear the gold leaves less fingers prints. :D I'm happy cause I hate that glossy shit they're made out of.

I didn't even say anything to her about it and even my GF mentioned she thought so.

Forkball

Posted this in another thread. Posting it here too as I am stunned people still seemingly do not know about it. I've read so many posts of people complaining about needing a screwdriver to access the SD and the issue of doing so to copy data over each time, and people who worry because they don't have an SD card reader...

Well if you're going to crosspost, so am I!

A lot of people probably aren't content with 4GB though. Considering that many games write something to the SD card, eShop titles, Virtual Console, and the preference some people have for buying new releases digitally, 4GB isn't cutting it. ERGO, we have to break out the trusty ol' screwdriver. I just thought it was funny in the video Nintendo released that they specifically mentioned you needed a screwdriver.

Argh, my delivery is about 19 minutes away from my location and it is going to be staying cold and lost until Monday now that the weekends are here. In the meantime, I'll go looking around for a screwdriver since I doubt that the one I have right now is a #0 Philips.

Blitzhex

N3dsXL doesn't work with WPA2 TKIP... wtf is this shit. My old 3ds xl works fine.

Edit: Ok I changed my wifi to TKIP+AES and it works now,

Thorgi

I'm thinking about getting the New 3DS fairly soon, but one of the few things holding me back is the 3DS XL I currently own. It came with one of the Mario & Luigi RPGs pre-installed, and I'm worried that it somehow won't carry over to the New 3DS, even through the transfer process. Are pre-installed games safe, or will I have to say goodbye to my Mario RPG?

kubus

I'm thinking about getting the New 3DS fairly soon, but one of the few things holding me back is the 3DS XL I currently own. It came with one of the Mario & Luigi RPGs pre-installed, and I'm worried that it somehow won't carry over to the New 3DS, even through the transfer process. Are pre-installed games safe, or will I have to say goodbye to my Mario RPG?
It's safe. Everything transfers over.

Zia

Just scanned the Polygon review and accompanying comments section and can't fathom how anyone can call this a "side-grade." It's a beautiful, much snappier machine that completely fixes the (for me) once unusable 3D.

gogogow

I asked this question in January prior in getting a N3DS XL and got this:

Nothing on the target system gets lost. That is a fact. There is no wiggle room.

Whatever was preinstalled on your source system gets absorbed into your NNID once you create on and thus gets moved over during the transfer.

Anyway, this is all quite straightforward. Have both systems ready, follow the instructions on the screen during the transfer and you're golden. If you want to make things extra easy, have a second microSD card in your source 3DS already so you can simply transfer licenses only and then just switch out the microSD with the one in the new target system to save yourself a lot of time.

Note: The sentence "Whatever was preinstalled on your source system gets absorbed into your NNID you create one". That is the NNID you made on your old 3DS. So don't make one on your NEW 3DS XL. During the transfer it will shift your NNID to your N3DSXL.

Thorgi

It's safe. Everything transfers over.

I asked this question in January prior in getting a N3DS XL and got this:

Note: The sentence "Whatever was preinstalled on your source system gets absorbed into your NNID you create one". That is the NNID you made on your old 3DS. So don't make one on your NEW 3DS XL. During the transfer it will shift your NNID to your N3DSXL.

Thanks, you two! That's a major relief: I hadn't seen other sites talking about this so I was afraid it was a detail Nintendo had somehow looked over.

Picked one up the other day, just realized there's no charge cable.

Seems silly to do this and not use the standard USB charge cable like everything else does these days. I haven't owned a Game Boy since the Advance.

CRA5H

Have you or anyone else tried Star Fox 64 3D on the New 3DS XL? Got Damn that is one beautiful game and it looks better than ever. There is some ghosting in that game too sadly, but I noticed it when I held the screen a little too far away from my eyes and when tilting it up and down a bit, but in Monster Hunter 4 U it looks perfect so go figure....
I searched far and wide for star fox before this past Friday.. Played it for the first tine on the new 3ds and it was friggin amazing. My favorite n64 game of all time.

My local Gamestop are fucking bastards. I had everything set up to do the MicroSD transfer, and only briefly needed their wifi to transfer licenses. The New 3DS XL needed to system update to receive a transfer, and it looked like it was going to take a while to get the update. I asked if I could leave it there and have them leave the system alone so I could take care of the system transfer after getting some lunch with my friend, and they said it was fine and put it to the side, out of sight/reach.

When my friend and I came back, I learned that the employee had disregarded my request that he leave my goddamned new system alone and had tried to carry out the transfer himself. He tried to fit nearly 32GB worth of shit onto the target system's stock 4GB card. Long story short? I lost many saves, and everything has to be redownloaded. My up-to-post-game Fantasy Life save is gone!

paAAyWn.jpg

I've got over a 1000 hours of overall gametime migrating from my previous system, and while my licenses are intact, my freaking saves! I'm going to continue discovering what games I've lost all my data for as I continue redownloading things, and it's going to continue to suck.

I just wanted a New 3DS XL and to take advantage of their $100 off trade in launch offer. I wasn't expecting the employee to muck around with my shit without a clue and without my consent. When I pointed out that he'd deleted all my saves and I'd asked him not to mess with it, he immediately and aggressively jumped to the defense and told me that it was my fault for leaving it there. He didn't apologize for fucking with my hardware without consent, and kept trying to assert stupid male dominance and blame me. He bullied me until I left, and his other coworkers didn't stop him. For reference, I was using this guide I found linked in another thread and had already copied everything to a MicroSD card equal to the SD card that used to reside in my 3DS XL. Had my #00 Phillips and everything. I was ready for the best, cleanest, transplant transfer...

~shudders~ I filled out the survey thingie. I'm never going to that store again. It was extremely disrespectful, and the launch I'd been looking forward to all month got soured by that asshole overstepping his boundaries, deleting my saves and who knows what other consequences I'll have from it. Him getting all defensive and angrily blaming me instead of holding himself accountable for fucking up was just the icing on the cake. Fuck that noise.

That's awful. I gotta ask though... why did you leave your precious save data in the hands of some people at GameStop? Why not do it at your house with your own network so you can monitor it yourself?

Sorcerer

I was a little bummed out yesterday about slightly stripping a screw (didn't hear the click) and making the space where you pry the back cover off a little bigger from the stylus but I am over it.

I was debating on being a bit scummy and returning the system and say it doesn't work but it really doesn't matter. It's not even noticeable. I just know it's there because I did it. I have to go very close to see.

I guess it gives the system character. I waited two hours in the cold for it, which was probably an unnecessary move since I wanted the New Red console, so this one is mine.

Eh, probably didn't help that I was tired and sick yesterday and didn't even boot up Majora's Mask or Monster Hunter. Good times ahead for me and my n3DS.

Don't fret too much.

If you use the system as intended it will not stay perfect anyway.

Its like a car, if you use it its going to get binged and dented.

It just a reality, things wear out and break.

I had so much difficulty removing the battery plate for my Wii U gamepad I accidently pushed one of the rubber stoppers down into the hole. Cannot be retrieved, but oh well. Nintendo fuckery telling me to use the wrong type of screwdriver.

Tendo

I'm a bit confused and want to make sure I am doing this right.

In my current 3ds is an SD card. My new 3ds will only take microSD

If I go buy a new microSD card how do I format the new card and transfer my data from my old SD card to my new one so the 3ds sees it is mine?

I'm a bit confused and want to make sure I am doing this right.

In my current 3ds is an SD card. My new 3ds will only take microSD

If I go buy a new microSD card how do I format the new card and transfer my data from my old SD card to my new one so the 3ds sees it is mine?

Apparently you can do it on your wireless network and use your PC as the go-between. I only realized that after I already bought my new micro SD and adapter. So I used an sd reader and did it that way. You can also use another device you might have that reads micro SD...

Tendo

Apparently you can do it on your wireless network and use your PC as the go-between. I only realized that after I already bought my new micro SD and adapter. So I used an sd reader and did it that way. You can also use another device you might have that reads micro SD...

What file format should I format the new card in?

terrisus

Alright, same thing as yesterday...

3dstransfer.jpg

Keeps hanging up right around here, and then eventually erroring out...

Anyone have any idea?

I want to share my GameStop trade-in story from yesterday which was kind of a bit hilarious in retrospect :p

On Thursday I already copied over my 4gb SD card to a 8gb microSD, had my bag packed with my original 3DS in its packaging and also a set of screwdrivers. I go into the GameStop, tell the clerk I have a preorder for a white new 3DS, he checks my original 3DS, says it's in good condition, scans in my games and then gets out the new 3DS. Afterwards he pesters me about a GameStop 2-year warranty extension which I did not want and he was flabbergasted about that and keeps on nagging that I'll pay a huge amount of repair fees if it should break outside the warranty and so on. Eventually he gives up and I start asking about the system transfer.

He says he can do it for me but he did it for a customer before and it took about three hours so I would have to wait, I tried to explain him that it only takes that long when you do a full SD card transfer and that a license transfer would work far far quicker but all my explaining was for naught, he insists it was only a license transfer that he did for the other customer and that this took three hours. At this point I am a bit annoyed and didn't want to hold up the store anymore since there were already customers behind me waiting so I offer him to leave 100€ at the store as a insurance, take both systems home and do the transfer there.

He agreed, I grab some food, drive home, unpack my shiny new 3DS, start the system update, initiate the transfer, said no to the question if I use a SD card, watch the Pikmin cutely move my data around while eating my lunch and by the time I was done eating 15-20 minutes later the transfer finished too. Then I unscrewed the backplate which was very easy even though I screwed for far too long thinking the screws actually have to come out, popped off the backplate which took me a second to realize how to do it exactly but once I saw the notches on the side it was very easy.

Pushing my already prepared 8gb micro SD in all my data was perfectly recognized by the new 3DS, I drive back to GameStop and the same guy from before greets me with a smugface saying: "Oh there you are again, it took longer than you thought huh?" at which I replied "Oh, not exactly I was done in 20 minutes with the transfer I just live in the other city and the train ride takes a while..." The GameStop clerk was again flabbergasted asking me how I transferred everything so fast when he finally understood what I meant with license-only transfer and that I prepared the microSD beforehand, we laugh it off he gives me my 100€ back and I drive home for good. He could have saved me quite a bit of time but looking back I'm not really mad :p

Now onto the system itself, coming from a original 3DS I really love the upgrade! :D The colored buttons look so nice on the white with the Super Nintendo throwback, the slightly bigger screens have just the right size for my taste, the speakers are awesome and the color quality difference is definitely noticeable coming from a original 3DS, I'm glad I waited for the new 3DS now before really digging into Pokémon Alpha Sapphire! :)

My only three and a half negatives so far:

The 3D still doesn't really work for me reliably, though that's more of my eyes fault and not the one of the 3DS. My left eye-nerve grew a few millimeters too short causing my eye to slightly drift to the left, it doesn't cause me any issues with normal vision but it cancels out the 3D effect :( I hoped the new head-tracking could work against that and it kind does because with the old 3DS I would mostly just see double-images with the 3D on, with the new 3DS I see just a normal image most of the time even with the 3D on so I would call that a improvement. I can eventually see the 3D on both the old and new 3DS if I stare on my nose for a bit but after 5 minutes or so my eye starts to drift again so that's a bummer but I can't blame Nintendo here. Interestingly enough I have no issues with glasses 3D.

My 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio-jack cable doesn't work with my new 3DS o.o I use it with my portables to reroute the sound to my PC headset when I sit at my desk though the new 3DS acts like nothing is inserted when I plug the cable into the headphone jack. Regular headphones work though so the 3DS doesn't seem to like the plug of the cable :/

The third one isn't the 3DS's fault either but the 10€ replacement charger GameStop sold me is bad, the wallplug seems cheap and the cable is really short and rigid which barely reaches to my desk now unlike the old original 3DS charger I had. I really have to get one of these USB to 3DS cables :p

And the last, half complaint I have: the wireless data-management require the 3DS to be put in a special data-transfer state as opposed to just work all the time from the system menu. I can understand that though because having wireless data access to the SD card at anytime is like waiting for a major data corruption catastrophe to happen if anybody fools around with the data while a game is running :p

So overall I have no real complaints and am more than happy with the price I paid thanks to the trade-in offer, anybody on the fence who wants to upgrade from a original 3DS, I say go ahead right away! :D

Yes, in the case of the 360 the hardware got faster/better. It added HDMI out, wireless connection, the hardware became potentially more faster because it integrated but GPU/CPU components and had to be artificially capped to get parity with the old systems. It had the same capabilties with a lower power draw.

Then there's the constant upgrades in Hard Drive sizes.

Also consider that the first revision for the 3DS (this one) took more than 3 years. So no one got burned.

Anyone else's c stuck a little clicky, it bothers me a bit. I used a demo unit and it wasn't, but mine is. Man I am a bit bummed.

My C-Stick is a bit stiff. I mean, I was expecting the nub to not really move at all but when I am trying to move the camera in Majora's Mask or MonHun I find that I sometimes struggle to get good responsiveness and the camera stutters as it moves.

It's my only frustration so far.

So after 24 hours with the "NEW" 3DS XL here is my impressions:

-The 3D is very much improved. I have never experienced motion sickness but after playing a couple rounds of SSMB, I nearly blew lunch when my character (Kind Dedede) did his victory animation. I had that inner ear, tingly, vertigo sensation. It was actually kinda cool.

-The C nub is a welcome addition. Using it for smash attacks almost feels like cheating when playing others online in SSMB.

-Downloading on the eShop is way faster. I compared dowloading Kid Icarus uprising on the new system (using coins from club nintendo, too awesome) and an old original 3DS small. First, the old 3DS took 55 minutes and 45 seconds to download the game. Then I fired up the NEW 3DS, it took 18 minutes 37 seconds. I used a wireless-N router on my home network with 50Mbps connection. These are not scientific tests but the difference between the two seems significant.

-Finally, my system is the black color. It appears that every meal I eat consists of bare hand eating, fistfuls of bacon. I am pretty sure there is about 6 tablespoons of crisco currently "protecting" the outside shell of the system. So just get used to seeing finger prints all over the thing.

I am pretty happy with the new hardware and will definitely be taking advantage of playing games with 3D turned on.

Ecto311

Just a heads up if you leave the eshop open on a page to buy a game and close it, it will not enter sleep mode. I was excited to get up and have a few demos and shit downloaded and I opened it to the screen where I was thinking about buying Moon Chronicles - nothing downloaded. Good thing is shovel knight is downloading fast as shit compared to the old system.

Ecto311

-Finally, my system is the black color. It appears that every meal I eat consists of bare hand eating, fistfuls of bacon. I am pretty sure there is about 6 tablespoons of crisco currently "protecting" the outside shell of the system. So just get used to seeing finger prints all over the thing.

I am pretty happy with the new hardware and will definitely be taking advantage of playing games with 3D turned on.

This site https://www.decalgirl.com/ has some skins for the system. I was thinking about the retro one because it would protect it, keep it slim still, and look almost better if it wasnt for the red letters on the skin.

n3dsll-retro-hor.jpg

J0dy77

Love the new 3ds but WTF were they thinking with the design for the back plate cover?Took me 10 minutes because I thought I was going to break the thing off. This is the one part lacking build quality. Hopefully I'll never have to take it off again.

Top Bottom