• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amazon France still seems to think my order will arrive yesterday. Investing in drones *and* Time Travel - impressive. Chronopost still has it stuck in Leipzig where it hasn't moved since yesterday morning :(

Was going to trade my XL in this weekend which I can't now do. Tempted to just buy one in store and return the Amazon one, but it seems petty for the sake of a couple days delay.

GamerJM

Banned
Well, it's over. Thank God. Over three hours of transferring. The funny thing is, I basically always buy physical. I even imported the Japanese versions of Ace Attorney games. I just have a shitton of eShop titles.

Is there a best practice method for doing this?

If you copied all the contents of your SD card from your previous 3DS to a PC (or tablet, etc) you can copy the same contents to your new 3DS microSD card and it will restore all your saves and game files. Only the license data and DSIware is stored internally on the 3DS. Obviously the two must be comparable sizes, ie 32GB SD card on previous 3DS means you need a 32GB microSD card for new 3DS and have to unscrew the back plate and install it after copying all the files.

One nice thing about the new 3DS is that it has a built in windows file share program, so you can share over wifi your 3DS file structure and access it on your PC and just wirelessly backup your card every now and then. Definitely recommend that, I back mine up to my dropbox and keep 2 or 3 versions so I can restore if needed.

For anyone else, one way to make things easier is to simply get an SD card adapter, buy a new microSD card, pop out your old 3DS SD card, stick it into your PC, and copy the entire thing to your hard drive somewhere. Now copy that entire thing onto your microSD card, pop it into an SD card adapter, and stick it into your old 3DS. After you are done doing a system transfer (choose the MicroSD option) you can just pop out the SD adapter out of your previous 3DS, pop the microSD card out of that, and put that into your new 3DS (replacing the default 4GB card) and you will be good to go, no redownload of games or lost saves.

melman101

Removing that damn backplate for the micro SD replacement was terrifying.
Then when I finally got it and was installing the new SD card, I noticed that the damn thing was on!! I swear I hit "Power off"

Luckily everything seems to be fine but it scared the crap out of me.

I also applied hori screen protectors. Touchscreen applied no problem but the top one had just a single speck of dust. I thought it would be fine but one thing you'll notice is that if you have dust under your applied screen protector, the 3D effect will make it look as if that dust particle actually has depth and gives it a 3D effect as well.

I ended up removing the top screen protector all together as it was way too distracting. I actually dont think I'll even need one for the top display anyways. It will never be touched and if it were to drop, it will be closed anyway.

I was shocked that it was on when I was unscrewing the back and removing the plate, but I kept going.

Same thing happened to me!!! That backplate is nuts. I'm still worried if I put it back on right.

And also, my system turned on too!!!! But I just kept going as well :)

hlhbk

I am depressed. I had no idea about the $100 trade in deal until today at gamestop. None of my gamestops around me have extras and the deal ends on Sunday. :(

co1onel

I tried playing some left handed kid icarus with the new c-stick. Let's just say this thing is most definitely not a circle pad. Using the face buttons for movement is far easier.

MicH

Says that in order to download the demo I need to first link an id or create a new one.
Maybe it's different with demos then. I could definitely purchase some games. Anyway, I don't know if you can link an NNID. You'll have to ask Nintendo as you're awaiting a transfer of your old NNID

Hmm ... do you think I can get the free games nintendo dropped on us for the lowering price thing from like 4 years ago transfered onto the new 3ds? that is, if worst buy ever fucking sends my preorder out ...

also, I don't have the og 3ds in my possession anymore ... gave it to a friends kids ...

No biggie if they can't but doesn't hurt to try :)

Durden77

Same here. Getting it a fair amount in MH4 in certain areas with the 3d turned up any higher than the bare minimum. A little disappointed by this. Anyone know if the manual calibration in the Stable 3D Settings can help remedy this?

Have you or anyone else tried Star Fox 64 3D on the New 3DS XL? Got Damn that is one beautiful game and it looks better than ever. There is some ghosting in that game too sadly, but I noticed it when I held the screen a little too far away from my eyes and when tilting it up and down a bit, but in Monster Hunter 4 U it looks perfect so go figure....

So I guess ghosting is just a thing? Once my eyes adjusted again, it seems like it's less noticable than the original 3DS, but I hoped it would've been addressed, especially because they did such an excellent job with the face tracking. Certain things are still really bad, like looking at the moon in Majora's Mask. Like seeing double.

Oh well. It's still a lot better for sure. And I do have Star Fox 64 3D, excited to see it on this.

MicH

Hmm ... do you think I can get the free games nintendo dropped on us for the lowering price thing from like 4 years ago transfered onto the new 3ds? that is, if worst buy ever fucking sends my preorder out ...
Did you link an NNID to your system when you had those games? (NNID came to the 3DS in late 2013). If you did, than try and call Nintendo. If you didn't, then you can't.

If you copied all the contents of your SD card from your previous 3DS to a PC (or tablet, etc) you can copy the same contents to your new 3DS microSD card and it will restore all your saves and game files. Only the license data and DSIware is stored internally on the 3DS. Obviously the two must be comparable sizes, ie 32GB SD card on previous 3DS means you need a 32GB microSD card for new 3DS and have to unscrew the back plate and install it after copying all the files.

One nice thing about the new 3DS is that it has a built in windows file share program, so you can share over wifi your 3DS file structure and access it on your PC and just wirelessly backup your card every now and then. Definitely recommend that, I back mine up to my dropbox and keep 2 or 3 versions so I can restore if needed.

For anyone else, one way to make things easier is to simply get an SD card adapter, buy a new microSD card, pop out your old 3DS SD card, stick it into your PC, and copy the entire thing to your hard drive somewhere. Now copy that entire thing onto your microSD card, pop it into an SD card adapter, and stick it into your old 3DS. After you are done doing a system transfer (choose the MicroSD option) you can just pop out the SD adapter out of your previous 3DS, pop the microSD card out of that, and put that into your new 3DS (replacing the default 4GB card) and you will be good to go, no redownload of games or lost saves.

I experimented with the file tool and managed to restore my Fantasy Life save. Satisfied, I'm merging my backup from yesterday onto the card. Thank you! Seriously!

soccergod

Banned
crap now what the hell do i do? I just did a system transfer which of course locks it out for 7 days. And i just noticed on the N3DS there is a stuck pixel in the top screen. Stays turqoius. If i exchange it i cant do the system transfer. Id have to wait 7 days, transfer to the original 3ds, take the N3ds back and exchange it, then wait another 7 days to transfer to the N3ds again. This system is absolutely HORRENDOUS

MicH

crap now what the hell do i do? I just did a system transfer which of course locks it out for 7 days. And i just noticed on the N3DS there is a stuck pixel in the top screen. Stays turqoius. If i exchange it i cant do the system transfer. Id have to wait 7 days, transfer to the original 3ds, take the N3ds back and exchange it, then wait another 7 days to transfer to the N3ds again. This system is absolutely HORRENDOUS
Just to make it worse for you: you cannot ransfer back to a non-new 3DS once you've transferred to a new3DS. So you'll have to get another new3DS to transfer your data to, then exchange/return the one with a stuck pixel

soccergod

Banned
Just to make it worse for you: you cannot ransfer back to a non-new 3DS once you've transferred to a new3DS. So you'll have to get another new3DS to transfer your data to, then exchange/return the one with a stuck pixel

yeah theres no way im doing that, not only are they not in stock anywhere but im not gonna front another $200 just because of their idiotic system. id rather just outright return the thing

Successful transfer to my MH4 New 3DS complete. I've been mostly caught up with the the little difference in color tints. I realized that my new 3DS has a little bit of a yellow tint that's a tiny bit annoying, but I realized in comparison that my original had a pint tint all along. So, I figure its no big deal. I'll stop noticing in a little while. Power saving mode seems to get rid of the tint, but it isn't worth the damage that does to the contrast.

taranatar

Amazon France still seems to think my order will arrive yesterday. Investing in drones *and* Time Travel - impressive. Chronopost still has it stuck in Leipzig where it hasn't moved since yesterday morning :(

Was going to trade my XL in this weekend which I can't now do. Tempted to just buy one in store and return the Amazon one, but it seems petty for the sake of a couple days delay.

Omg! Mine too. Chronopost why you so rubbish! I got my postage cost refunded at least but it's still stuck in Germany. Sitting there doing nothing. :(

Rich!

Posted this in another thread. Posting it here too as I am stunned people still seemingly do not know about it. I've read so many posts of people complaining about needing a screwdriver to access the SD and the issue of doing so to copy data over each time, and people who worry because they don't have an SD card reader...

You do not need a reader or adapter!

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=939712&page=1

Nintendo is still probably the only company that requires you to have a screwdriver to transfer data.

....why does no one know about the wireless network share function? It's in the system menu. its designed for cases like these. Once the SD is in, you NEVER need to remove it again. If you intend on keeping the stock 4GB, you NEVER EVER need to use a screwdriver unless you have a regular model and you want to swap faceplates.

Look:

ibewnJUW15YLtn.jpg

jb1gX0aQRItidZ.png

All accessed via wireless.

this has been known since November. windows only so far. But SMB support is being worked on by the community for other platforms.

TCRS

Banned
damn I didn't even know there is a new 3DS. always wanted to buy the old one, never got round to it. I'm definitely going to get this (at some point).

So, I love my n3DSXL. It's like wine red, all deep and sexy. The C-stick works well, I played Moon Chronicles way better than I ever did with even Circle Pad and stylus. The sound booms in a way it did not on the XL. The Circle Pad Pro support is seamless, I tested it with Moon Chronicles, Majora's Mask, and will test it with Resident Evil Revelations and MGS3D later. Maybe I can finally beat Big Boss. The extra shoulders are well-placed and easy to use.

It just feels nicer. After turning the screen full up, I played Mario Kart 7 online and did better than usual because there weren't moments where I was trying to find the focus. It's so much easier on my eyes and I can relax. I'm okay with it being out of focus for a moment before it locks in when you first look at it. I can't waaaait to dig out Pilotwings Resort and finally play it the way it was meant to be played. The super-stable 3D just works really well. I love that you can play 3D video on it in a variety of formats. Searching for stereoscopic material was awesome, I saw a clip of Wind Waker being played in 3D on Dolphin. Soooo stimulating.

Still, I wish there was extra DSiWare memory. And, I'm peeved about that jerk at Gamestop. The wireless transfer to get my backup onto the card is going to take 10+ hours, if the current estimate holds up. I was prepared to have a no-hassle full transfer in like a minute :x

I can't wait for Ironfall and Xenoblade Chronicles.

flozuki

Posted this in another thread. Posting it here too as I am stunned people still seemingly do not know about it. I've read so many posts of people complaining about needing a screwdriver to access the SD and the issue of doing so to copy data over each time, and people who worry because they don't have an SD card reader...

You do not need a reader or adapter!

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=939712&page=1

....why does no one know about the wireless network share function? It's in the system menu. its designed for cases like these. Once the SD is in, you NEVER need to remove it again. If you intend on keeping the stock 4GB, you NEVER EVER need to use a screwdriver unless you have a regular model and you want to swap faceplates.

Look:

jb1gX0aQRItidZ.png

All accessed via wireless.

this has been known since November. windows only so far. But SMB support is being worked on by the community for other platforms.

That is what I was hoping to do, unfortunately pre-installed Monster Hunter took so much space on the standard card, that I had to use a bigger card. I wish they would have used bigger cards in the LEs :/

Maximus.

Got my info transferred over no problem, didn't take long using the method to do the majority of the transfer using a computer and manually moving the data from one sd to the new one.

The system is great, glossy surface doesn't bother me. The 3D effect is so much better now that it tracks your slight movement and the c stick works really well.

Taking off the back plate to put in the microsd card took more force than I expected, but I shouldn't have to open that up anytime soon.

The gold color used on the MM 3DS XL is beautiful.

Yasawas

That sucks, I was wondering if yours had moved from Leipzig as mine was there all day yesterday. My latest update is Edinburgh at six this morning so it's in the right country now at least.

Suerte

That sucks, I was wondering if yours had moved from Leipzig as mine was there all day yesterday. My latest update is Edinburgh at six this morning so it's in the right country now at least.

Mine just got updated to "Inbound linehaul scan"... but it's still in Leipzig.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The transfer process is arduous, but the system itself is nice. The c-stick still feels strange though and I wish it was simply another circle pad.

Rootbeer

Banned
okay i can stop fretting about the tiny particles that got stuck under my screen protector...

i'm pretty new to the world of screen protectors. but i found that if I take some scotch tape and, after a few tries of sticking it onto the corner of th eprotector, it will lift it up... then use my other hand and put a strip or ring (around my finger) of tape on the dust to lift it off... then carefully lay the protector back down flat... it works very well at removing anything that got trapped under there

now i've removed the two dots that were really bugging me and everything is perfect!

i have pretty much zero complaints about the New 3DS XL... so far it has been an improvement in every single way. while some improvements have been more minor than others, when viewed in their total the summation of the changes is pretty big for any 3ds or 3ds xl owners if you ask me. the new 3ds xl is legit!

n3dsbxb4o.jpg

Managed to grab a black XL yesterday after work. I didn't expect much hype, but there were some people crowding the place wanting to score one. The local (Nuremberg) Gamestop was down to a single white regular one, but I really wanted an XL so I hit the local Saturn which had a couple left.

I got into a conversation with someone unsure whether to get a regular one or an XL and we eventually touched upon the SD card topic. He told me the integrated 4 GB would be enough for him, and I replied something along the lines of "I recently bought Shin Megami Tensei IV which was download only for Europe so I'm getting a larger Micro SD card to be safe". He had no idea what the hell kind of game I was talking about. :D

Anyhow, I'm really happy with the system so far, I went to my mom's place for a visit this weekend and she absolutely loves the 3D effect, which totally surprised me as she's not into games or any kind of gadgets in the slightest.

nakedeyes

Banned
Any reports on if the new slightly faster new 3DS processors speeds up the notoriously slow frame rate of MGS3D?

Just curious if it is built to help with older game like that, or if that is just wishful thinking :)

Just curious did the regular 3ds XL fix this problem?
The top screen scratching? There were tiny runner feet added where the home button area touches the top screen so it was attempted and most people found it fine but I found they didn't do a good enough job so added some rubber feet to two corners of the top screen which do a good job. But from what I've new 3DS makes further improvements.

From this bullshit of deconstructing my system for swapping a memory card to the antiquated menus, wobbly hinges, low res screens, and playskool UI throughout the system, it's so far behind everything else it's not even funny.
Just to be sure here you do know you can zoom out the home menu and then it really isn't much different to a smartphone home screen. Its not as far behind as the Wii U though (which is kind of sad that in some respects is better than other consoles due to not having ads but is worse than the 3DS due to being really sluggish).

I know!! I wish the engineers kept it on the side, but it could be for the fact that the battery is now user-replaceable.
That said the screws on the back of a 3DS and 3DS XL are openable but the user and provide access to the battery thus the battery has always been user replaceable. Nintendo are not apple. I think is overall ergonomics on the system. Regular 3DS wasn't wide enough to have the stylus slot on the side for example.

While I wait for Nintendo to move my Nintendo ID from an old piece of hardware to my new one, is it OK to create a new ID on my 3DS in order to download some demos? God I hate Nintendo's account system so much.
The thing you should hate here is them making it mandatory for f2p & demos (which is total bullshit for Europeans and Australians who don't want to link an NNID due to the scattered nature of releases there).

Any reports on if the new slightly faster new 3DS processors speeds up the notoriously slow frame rate of MGS3D?

Just curious if it is built to help with older game like that, or if that is just wishful thinking :)
Wishful thinking :( Any positive responses are placebo or only played the game on a launch firmware (some games did see a performance boost after a certain firmware update though Rayman 3D and Bit.Trip runner are two most commonly heard from).

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Man, the auto-brightness feature needs serious work. I can sit my unit still and it adjusts up and down every 3 seconds. Bizarre.

Rich!

Nope. Games not designed for it make no use of it.

Man, the auto-brightness feature needs serious work. I can sit my unit still and it adjusts up and down every 3 seconds. Bizarre.
Seriously, turn that shit off. Nintendo seriously needs lessons in the auto brightness feature. When I was setting up my nieces' systems, I left it on initially, but during the set up, it changed do much that I ha to turn it off. It doesn't change discreetly, either, like most other devices. It's so bloody obvious and doesn't settle.

I posted this in the MM OT, but I thought it would be more appropriate here...

Does anybody else's circle pad creak under pressure? This is on the n3DS XL by the way.

It feels as though I am letting go of an elastic band, there is a very distinct "clank" sound to it.

Mine does this too. Non-XL model. It's apparently unusual but harmless. Nintendo even have a help page about it. I was going to exchange mine, but everything else is perfect so I'll stick with it.

Top Bottom