• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Opeth Album Sorceress out September 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Today, Opeth confirmed their 12th studio album, Sorceress, will be released September 30th on Nuclear Blast Records. Here is the cover art:

Opeth-Sorceress-Front-cover-FINAL-JPG.jpg

1. Persephone
2. Sorceress
3. The Wilde Flowers
4. Will O The Wisp
5. Chrysalis
6. Sorceress 2
7. The Seventh Sojourn
8. Strange Brew
9. A Fleeting Glance
10. Era
11. Persephone (Slight Return)

Frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt offered this quote about the new album in the press release:

”The new album ”Sorceress” is our 12th studio album since our beginnings in 1990,” says Åkerfeldt. “I find it difficult to understand that we’ve been going on for 26 years, let alone that we’ve made 12 records now, all of which I am very proud of. ”Sorceress” is no exception. I love this album, as does the whole band. I wrote the music during 5-6 months and we spent only 12 days recording it at Rockfield studios in Wales. I find that once again we’ve taken a step forward. Or sideways, Or backwards. Somewhere!? It’s different! It’s extremely diverse. And if I may say so myself, extremely good. I feel the right to say that since I like to think I know this band better than anyone on the planet. Also, I always manage to detach myself from the record and listen as a fan. It’s a fine little record. My favorite in our discography right now. Of course. That’s how it should be, right? It’s both fresh and old, both progressive and rehashed. Heavy and calm. Just the way we like it. Hopefully there’ll be others around the globe sharing this opinion. It was a joy to make it. A fucking joy to record it, and a sheer joy listening to it. So there you have it!”

http://www.metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/opeth-reveal-name-and-release-date-for-new-album

So fucking stoked. I love this band and the diversity their sound brings to the table. I only wish their fall tour would come closer.

Maybe we'll get a full single sometime instead of just a studio clip.

The fact that he said it's heavy has me super hyped, hope there's some "Bleak" moments like Blackwater Park even without the screaming. I'll definitely grab this on vinyl.

I kinda stopped following Opeth for a while, I listened to their last CD and it just sounded like really good depressing progressive rock, with no harsh vocals at all IIRC. It was good, and obviously the path they were headed down, but I hope they throw some really metal harsh stuff into this CD.

Tankard

I kinda stopped following Opeth for a while, I listened to their last CD and it just sounded like really good depressing progressive rock, with no harsh vocals at all IIRC. It was good, and obviously the path they were headed down, but I hope they throw some really metal harsh stuff into this CD.

I don't know if that was the obvious path, the last album was a straight prog rock project, not even the old Prog bands play this music today, lol, i took it as an experiment that i enjoyed, i assume it will be different again this time.

Manu

Massive Opeth fan here. I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with an album than I was with Pale Communion. I hope they can win me back with this one.

pablito

Yeah they dropped the heavier riffs when they dropped the growls. If the growls must stay gone I can understand, but you still gotta bring the riffs.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm a huge lapsed Opeth fan. I used to listen to them religiously and i've seen them play live at different venues at least 10 times or so.

But my musical leanings kind of diversified in my twenties and i've left metal on the backburner. I fell off the wagon with Watershed and barely listened since.

I'm going to give this a listen with my full undivided attention once it drops. Curious to see if the magic is still there.

Can't wait to listen to this album. Can't wait to hear some heavy music from them again. Maybe he found a way to growl without hurting himself?

Cptkrush

Very excited for this. Hopefully more like Watershed/GR with some Pale Communion blended in and less like Heritage.

Ristifer

I'm pumped for this. I enjoyed a lot of Pale Communion, even if it doesn't hit as hard as I'd like. It still has some fascinating things going for it.

Still, I hope for more of a mixture of styles on this new one. Not sure how to take Mikael's description of the album, since he loves to take the piss with fans who just want heavier Opeth. So, we'll see.

I was not expecting that kind of cover art either, but I like it.

Arkanius

Very excited for this. Hopefully more like Watershed/GR with some Pale Communion blended in and less like Heritage.

Heritage was good. Better than Pale Communion for example.

Folklore was my favorite track though, which I know, is not very Opeth like... but it was great.

I had no idea Opeth was releasing a new album so soon. I've cooled on them over the years but they're still one of my favorite bands. If they're going to drop the growls completely, I hope they still have some heavy riffs reminiscent of the clean vocal songs from Still Life or Ghost Reveries.

Altazor

I really like the cover art and Mikael's comments about being "fresh and old, progressive and rehashed" fills me with a bit of hope that it's going to be at least more varied than Heritage and Pale Communion.

I mean, I can't really dislike those albums, considering Opeth is definitely one of my favorite bands ever, and I respect the hell outta them for doing the unexpected and ditching the harsh metal instead of releasing the same album over and over again, but... on the other hand, I don't have to like them. And I like 70s prog, I just don't like their two latest albums - they're not what I want out of an Opeth album at all.
I'll say this, though: Axenrot has improved a lot as a versatile drummer since Watershed. Some of his playing on Heritage/PC was tasty as fuck.

EDIT:

Yeah they dropped the heavier riffs when they dropped the growls. If the growls must stay gone I can understand, but you still gotta bring the riffs.

That's the thing I don't get. Hell, by this point I don't even hope they go back to being death metal-ish 'cause I know it won't happen (and I'm sure Mikael can't do the growls anymore without fucking up his throat) but at least something heavier than this "really obscure Eastern European Folk-Prog 70s Vinyl Band" vibe they have currently.

Cautiously optimistic for it. I loved Blackwater Park, and I also loved Damnation and Watershed.

I wasn't a big fan of Heritage and totally missed Pale Communion, but I want Opeth to be good.

Indelible

Opeth was the band that got me into Prog Metal so I will always look forward to anything new from them. They're last album really grew on me, I just hope Sorceress is a lot heavier.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Awesome! Love Opeth.

Manu

I'm with you. I liked Pale Communion much more than Heritage.

Heritage is like a 7/10 and Pale Communion is a 5/10 imo.

My biggest problem with Pale Communion is that Mikael has seemingly forgotten how to write longer songs, and now he just takes 3 or 4 different ideas and duct tapes them into a song. I miss how the songs used to flow naturally. Heritage had shorter songs in average so it wasn't as bad.

I also think this has been a problem at least since Watershed, but it's at its worst now.

Ohnonono

I really dislike Heritage even now. I have tried so may times to listen to that album. That said Pale Communion just clicked with me. I would love for them to have more heavy stuff even if the screams don't come back. Heritage has such a weird badly produced sound imo.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Heritage is the obvious weak spot in Opeth's discography. Pale Communion is at least enjoyable, but I do miss the heavy workouts.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I hope this is more of that sweet prog rock from PC. Prog rock Opeth >>>>> Death metal Opeth. Wouldn't mind a bit more metal in the mix though. Just no growling, please.

Gray Matter

I'm not a big fan of heritage and onwards opeth. When I think of opeth I think blackwater park, ghost reveries, watershed, all their heavy material. That's not to say that their lighter music is bad, just not an entire album dedicated to it like the last couple albums.

RangerX

Banned
Cover art is great, I'm hyped for the album. Pale communion is one of my favourite prog albums of all time but I would like some of the death metal to come back. Saw them live back in 2003 and they were great.

Liked Pale Communion even though I am still not thrilled with the new direction overall. Glad to hear it has some heavy in it. Definitely looking forward to it.

I'm surprised to see so many gaffers disliking Heritage. For me is by far one of the best Opeth albums, it's filled with pure subtle brilliance from start to finish, and that it's much harder to achieve than in a straight metal album. Akerfeldt reached new highs as a composer there.

I also love how despite being mellow, it shows that sinister vibe that you can find in pretty much every Opeth album.

Altazor

Axe has definitely improved and gelled with the band, but I still miss Martin Lopez :(

I missed him too on Watershed, but considering how much Axe has evolved... I'm really hyped to hear his stuff on Sorceress.

Then again, it all comes back to the "bring back the heavy" stuff - I want to hear Axe use his current technique and style over heavier stuff. Back on Watershed he seemed very stiff, like a typical black/death metal drummer - but now his playing is looser and groovier, and I want to hear that.

Heritage is like a 7/10 and Pale Communion is a 5/10 imo.

My biggest problem with Pale Communion is that Mikael has seemingly forgotten how to write longer songs, and now he just takes 3 or 4 different ideas and duct tapes them into a song. I miss how the songs used to flow naturally. Heritage had shorter songs in average so it wasn't as bad.

I also think this has been a problem at least since Watershed, but it's at its worst now.

Agreed - especially during transitions in songs. Basically it's:
-Stop.
-Sustained chord.
-Mikael "singing" a line almost without a melody
-Resume.

It gets tiring and I think I've described at least a couple of songs off each album since Watershed with that.

TabooV

Neo Member
I mostly listen to Doom/black metal, but love me some Opeth from time to time. The earlier albums are masterpieces. I can't say the same about the last two though. PC was a slight improvement from Heritage. I look forward to lightening to Sorceress, like the art cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom