• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Opeth Album Sorceress out September 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altazor

One of the most powerful songs ever written.

oh it absolutely is. Plus, I consider it Opeth's finest collection of riffs - save for that acoustic interlude (and then the ending), pretty much every single riff in the song is awesome, especially the one after the interlude. Sounds incredibly evil, and incredibly awesome.

Manu

I just can't muster any hype for this. I think I've listened to Sorceress (the song) like three times since it got released, and liked it even less with each listen.

So Reddit tells me half the album (the sorceress principle) is already out in the wild. I personally don't know where so don't ask but I assume those that are truly interested can search for it.

Altazor

So Reddit tells me half the album (the sorceress principle) is already out in the wild. I personally don't know where so don't ask but I assume those that are truly interested can search for it.

from what I gathered... the tracklist is not even FROM the album, it's Sorceress (the song) plus completely unrelated songs. According to some sites it's an "unofficial" EP, which makes it sound like complete bullshit.

from what I gathered... the tracklist is not even FROM the album, it's Sorceress (the song) plus completely unrelated songs. According to some sites it's an "unofficial" EP, which makes it sound like complete bullshit.
Ah you're right, welp false alarm I guess.

Altazor

Yeah, the acoustic guitar sounds very very nice (especially during the intro). Loved the outro melody too.

It kinda reminds me of Harvest - or if that song were to be passed through a Heritage/Pale Communion filter.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Imo, it sounds more like b-side material. Its kind of bland. They did this better with soldier of fortune. The Damnation songs have a lot more feel to them imo.

Like the new song, just nothing mind-blowing. It'll probably be better in context of the whole album though.

http://www.metalinjection.net/reviews/opeth-sorcery-track-by-track

8.5/10. Didn't see it posted.

Sorceress is a peculiarly strong album, but not heavy in any traditional sense, and Åkerfeldt often seems to have merely broadened his influences rather than transcended them.

A little bummed by the bolded, considering one review mentioned it was their heaviest since Ghost Reveries/Watershed.

Meh. Nothing I'm hearing om either released track is exciting me at all, and after the disappointments of Heritage and Pale Communion I'm not holding out hope.

Tankard

I liked this one better than Sorceress, at least, i'm starting to feel i won't love this album, and that makes me sad.

Hoo-doo

Banned
April Ethereal followed by When is the winningest combo ever. So amazing. I can't say it enough lol

The best two Opeth songs, in my opinion. It's why My Arms, Your Hearse, is forever my #1. That's the Opeth I love and remember.

These new songs haven't grabbed me yet. Will o' The Wisp is definitely no Harvest. Will still listen to the entire album once it drops.

Gray Matter

I came to like sorceress, but this new song, just no.

I'm sorry, but not feeling this. Will wait for the full album to form an opinion.

Yeah, the acoustic guitar sounds very very nice (especially during the intro). Loved the outro melody too.

It kinda reminds me of Harvest - or if that song were to be passed through a Heritage/Pale Communion filter.

Yea it sounds more like b sides to pale communion.

Man hope the rest of the album is more dark and depressing like harvest or damnation, Windowpane is an amazing song.

Either way it's fucking opeth and I'm foaming at the mouth. Cannot wait.

Edit; yea a lot of people rank heritage pretty low, but I feel the dark is an amazing amazing song, such great lyrics. I actually like the album lol. Great song

Corpsepyre

Banned
What the hell happened to his lyrics over time?

Nothing beats 'FEEL THE PAIN.....INSIDE YOUR BRAIN......INSANE' bullcrap from Heritage, but he's writing some really bad words lately.

Calderc

I don't dislike anything I've heard from the new album, it all just feels like it could have been done by other bands, better. It's like Opeth *trying* to be a bluesy folksy prog band instead of *being* Opeth. There's no uniqueness to any of it, whereas anything from Watershed and before could not have been written or performed by anyone other than Opeth.

Arkanius

Will O Wisp is very beautiful but bland until the Outro.

Jesus christ, I could do a a fantastic album by just picking great Opeth Outros.

This joins Folklore as a song that I'll keep listening for that last minute. (3:50 onwards)

Gardenjam

Neo Member
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum after reading for years! Happy to finally be here :)

For all you awesome Opeth fans, Sorceress has leaked according to HasItLeaked:
http://hasitleaked.com/2016/opeth-sorceress/. Opeth Reddit users have confirmed this as well.

Please note that 'HasItLeaked does not supply links.

Also remember to support the band and pre-order the album!

Personally, I love the direction that Opeth has gone, just as much as I love the way The Sword has progressed. It makes me sad that the two are on tour and won't stop by my city. It makes sense though since Opeth had all of their shit stolen when they were in St, Louis back in 2013. A fucking shame.

Harmen

I really like Pale Communion and Heritage had it's moments, though I did miss some contrasting "all out metal" elements here and there (musically, I don't necessarily miss growling).

I love both Will O The Wisp and the Sorceress, so I am really looking forward to the new record. The former really reminds me of Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson, which is great.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I just ordered the picture LP set, does anyone know if it comes with a digital download code? Or do i have to buy that too? Would be the first time i double dipped on Opeth's records.

I just ordered the picture LP set, does anyone know if it comes with a digital download code? Or do i have to buy that too? Would be the first time i double dipped on Opeth's records.

Looks like the vinyl comes with a digital code on Amazon;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IEKLCXQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Getting real tired of Mike's vocals. He is really oversinging these days.

Oversinging? What does that mean?? You mean he's not using growls? He's stated he's pretty much done with death growls. I know, it's hard for me to accept too, but I'm hoping he's just trolling and is saving his vocals these past few albums and is gonna explode full my arms your hearse next album!!!!'

spuckthew

I hope this is more of that sweet prog rock from PC. Prog rock Opeth >>>>> Death metal Opeth. Wouldn't mind a bit more metal in the mix though. Just no growling, please.

This for me too. I don't know if I can be called a true Opeth fan because I didn't really listen to their first half-dozen albums, but Damnation is one of my favourite prog rock albums of all time. I like heavy riffs as much as the next metalhead, but I don't like growling at all.

Gray Matter

Best track of the 3 so far, but still not sold on this album.

A small part of me hopes that there will be at least one track where mikael uses his awesome growls.

After hearing the album, for me personally, the Wilde Flowers is the best track on the album.
Best track of the 3 so far, but still not sold on this album.

A small part of me hopes that there will be at least one track where mikael uses his awesome growls.
He doesn't. This song is also the heaviest of the album

Well that's certainly a downer.
I mean, it's not at all a bad album and has a strong start but I feel like it tapers off towards the end.
Right now I like it maybe less than PC and Heritage, but I really like both of those albums so that's not a negative for me. It just feels too similar musically to those albums which is a bit of a disappointment when all they're albums sound different except this one.

I mean, it's not at all a bad album and has a strong start but I feel like it tapers off towards the end.
Right now I like it maybe less than PC and Heritage, but I really like both of those albums so that's not a negative for me. It just feels too similar musically to those albums which is a bit of a disappointment when all they're albums sound different except this one.

That's...not good to hear :(

I'll be seeing them live in October. Last time was in spring 2009 following the release of Watershed, so I'm really looking forward to see how the most recent albums sound like on stage.

And why aren't there any shows on Blu-ray yet? They have been so dormant on that, not even a single announcement following their 25th Anniversary Tour from last year.

TabooV

Neo Member
The new album starts off good, but then starts going downhill second half. It's definitely a grower and still much more enjoyable than Heritage (really hate that album) any day. I was surprised by the haunting acoustic passages in some of the songs. Took me back to some of the older albums.

Manu

I think I may be done with Opeth after this new album. There's one song I loved (Chrysalis, this is what "Opeth doing 70s prog should be"), maybe two I kinda liked and then the rest of the album is a mix of generic chugging riffs and acoustic interludes that go nowhere.

I guess this band just isn't for me anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom