• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Opeth Album Sorceress out September 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heritage is like a 7/10 and Pale Communion is a 5/10 imo.

My biggest problem with Pale Communion is that Mikael has seemingly forgotten how to write longer songs, and now he just takes 3 or 4 different ideas and duct tapes them into a song. I miss how the songs used to flow naturally. Heritage had shorter songs in average so it wasn't as bad.

I also think this has been a problem at least since Watershed, but it's at its worst now.

It's weird you say that, because that has been a criticism of their music since their inception. Nothing wrong with that criticism, I think Opeth has a huge continuity issue in their music, but their atmosphere masks their shortcomings.

It's weird you say that, because that has been a criticism of their music since their inception. Nothing wrong with that criticism, I think Opeth has a huge continuity issue in their music, but their atmosphere masks their shortcomings.
I think the weird switches between songs are what make the band so unique and special. I showed my friend bleak a couple months ago and he was pretty shocked at the transition and its moments like that in their music that I love.

ThisGuy

Alright, I'll check 'em out. Tomorrow while driving to work.

Don't steer me wrong gaf. I don't need any more tickets.

Although, why the male peacock for an album title after a woman?

I think the weird switches between songs are what make the band so unique and special. I showed my friend bleak a couple months ago and he was pretty shocked at the transition and its moments like that in their music that I love.

Oh no doubt, I've never had structure problems in their music, but to be fair the overall mood and atmosphere of their music is so powerful that I feel that I may be missing some lapses in composition. I dunno, it's hard to say, but plenty of other fans have felt that their vision exceeds their composition skills (especially considering that none of the guys know shit about music theory). Regardless, their music has a ton of variety, which also allows for a lot of fun surprises digging into their music.

Manu

I think it was the case on their really early stuff, but by the time of MAYH they mastered the art of writing long songs. And now they lost it again.

My other big problem with Pale Communion is the lack of memorable guitar riffs. I'm not sure why Mikael seems to think that making an album with a 70s sound means the guitar has to sound like a wet fart, the 70s were pretty much the golden age of the guitar riff.

Oh no doubt, I've never had structure problems in their music, but to be fair the overall mood and atmosphere of their music is so powerful that I feel that I may be missing some lapses in composition. I dunno, it's hard to say, but plenty of other fans have felt that their vision exceeds their composition skills (especially considering that none of the guys know shit about music theory). Regardless, their music has a ton of variety, which also allows for a lot of fun surprises digging into their music.
That's a pretty shocking revalation for me considering how complex and odd their music is to play on guitar.

Can't wait for this shit. From the previews it sounds like they are continuing down the path that started with Watershed (or perhaps even Damnation). TBH going back to their metallic roots would be regressive in my opinion. Save it for the live shows. They clearly embrace their roots when they play live. It's great to hear Deliverance and Demon of the Fall live along with the newer stuff.

I think it was the case on their really early stuff, but by the time of MAYH they mastered the art of writing long songs. And now they lost it again.

My other big problem with Pale Communion is the lack of memorable guitar riffs. I'm not sure why Mikael seems to think that making an album with a 70s sound means the guitar has to sound like a wet fart, the 70s were pretty much the golden age of the guitar riff.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Orchid and Morningrise, but those albums had amazing atmosphere and among their most acclaimed, especially Morningrise. Orchid's The Apostle in Triumph, and Forest of October seem perfectly constructed to me, though.

That's a pretty shocking revalation for me considering how complex and odd their music is to play on guitar.

I think some of the guys have some understanding of theory, Akesson I think is pretty well versed. But Mikael may just be his usual humble self when he says he knows jack shit about music theory.

Manu

Oh yeah, I forgot about Orchid and Morningrise, but those albums had amazing atmosphere and among their most acclaimed, especially Morningrise. Orchid's The Apostle in Triumph, and Forest of October seem perfectly constructed to me, though.

I love Morningrise. They still had that early black metal influence they lost later. And DeFarfalla's bass playing was something else.

I've never cared much for Black Rose Immortal though, but it's not hard to see why now that I think about it lol.

Manu

Bump, because Sorceress (the song) is on Youtube.

I hated the intro but everything else sounds really good, so put me in the "cautiously optimistic" camp after this one.

I think it's time to take the dive into Opeth's discography that I never found time for...

How I envy you. I can remember he first time i hear My arms Your hearse. Ducking awesome.

Man I hope this album is a bit heavy, maybe even like ghost reveries or deliverance.

Man this came outta nowhere, so fucking excited.

Heritage was good IMO, I feel the dark is probably one of my favorite songs, love love love the writing.

Ok gonna go pre order this!

Edit; damn it's almost 30$ for the cd on Amazon?? Oh well take all my money opeth.

Also, Any bloodbath fans here lol?

How I envy you. I can remember he first time i hear My arms Your hearse. Ducking awesome.

Man I hope this album is a bit heavy, maybe even like ghost reveries or deliverance.

Heritage was good IMO, I feel the dark is probably one of my favorite songs, love love love the writing.

My first big foray was with Watershed. Goddamn I love that album still. Then I started to listen to Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries and Still Life. So damn good. I really need to go back to take another crack at Heritage.

My first big foray was with Watershed. Goddamn I love that album still. Then I started to listen to Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries and Still Life. So damn good. I really need to go back to take another crack at Heritage.

He first few tracks are phenomenal. Both I feel the dark and the Devils orchard are amazing tracks. Check out there early stuff too, My Arms Your Hearse is amazing.

I know I'm rambling a bit, but this news came outta no where! So excited!

Now I just need a new QOTSA album and some mastodon and I'm good.

It's kinda odd, I've been listening to Opeth on and off for a good five years or so now but I've only really come to love them recently. My personal favorites are Blackwater Park, Still Life and My Arms Your Hearse, though Ghost Reveries has been really clicking for me too lately.

The new single sounds decent enough. Mikael's clean vocals are the best part of the track imo.

He first few tracks are phenomenal. Both I feel the dark and the Devils orchard are amazing tracks. Check out there early stuff too, My Arms Your Hearse is amazing.

I know I'm rambling a bit, but this news came outta no where! So excited!

Now I just need a new QOTSA album and some mastodon and I'm good.

I've listened to basically every song they've done so far, and honestly My Arms Your Hearse isn't in my top 3 albums from Opeth.

1. Blackwater Park
2. Still Life
3. Watershed
4. Damnation
5. Ghost Reveries
6. My Arms Your Hearse

I don't know how to rank the others.

Hulud

Haven't listened to Opeth in a while but this seems a lot slower than their old stuff.

They went fully down the prog rabbit hole when they realized it was pointless to try to top blackwater park. This is actually faster than most songs off their last 2 albums lol

Eh, not a big fan of this song. Too slow and chugging. It doesn't have that melodic virtuosity that attracted me to Opeth in the first place.

I think it's got some odd musical desicions and I'm not entirely digging the guitar tone. BUT I absolutely love the lyrics, visuals and theme. If the other tracks are stronger it could end up being a favorite of mine though so far I don't see it touching their 90's work.

That chugging riff is pretty awful.

It's not that bad but there's still no reason to listen to anything other than the first five albums.

geardo

I loved these guys up until that first prog album - just couldn't get into it. I haven't listened to them in years now.

Edit; damn it's almost 30$ for the cd on Amazon?? Oh well take all my money opeth.

Also, Any bloodbath fans here lol?

CD's listed as $16 on US Amazon with vinyl at $30. Vinyl has 2 extra songs

Add me to the group that 1) likes this song and 2) needs to listen to the rest of their discography. All I've heard is Watershed and this, and I love it.

Heritage really bore me, and Pale Communion, while good, wasn't stellar. Hope this album bucks the trend. I just miss Blackwater Park era...

bounchfx

Gotta say MAYH was one of my least favorites for a long time and then one day it just clicked with me. I think damnation and blackwater were my favorites at first, then ghost reveries, then watershed, then it became still life, and eventually hearse crept up.

Right now I think still life and mayh are in my top three

Heritage was ok but had zero staying power for me. I listened to pale communion way more but even then I rarely got past the first half of the album. I just really enjoy sun above moon below

Kuros

Not really feeling it.

Obviously can never be as bad as Pale Communion. But I'm not digging the lack of beefy guitar tones. Wish Steve Wilson was producing.

Blackwater park can never be topped and they shouldn't try to but I just feel it's been a bit meh since Ghost Reveries. I wasn't really a fan of Watershed and I can see why Mikael decided on a change of direction after it.

Will not please all the fanboys on Facebook who want Cookie Monster vocals back. I thought he may have blown his voice after Watershed as the subsequent tour didn't feature any harsh vocals but they have gone back to playing older stuff live so it is just a straight musical choice.

Still one of my favourite bands ever.

Deadstar

They went fully down the prog rabbit hole when they realized it was pointless to try to top blackwater park. This is actually faster than most songs off their last 2 albums lol

Weird. I like blackwater park era but am not a fan of the growls. I wish they kept the same musical style but used all clean singing. This song sounds way too slow and boring.

I've listened to basically every song they've done so far, and honestly My Arms Your Hearse isn't in my top 3 albums from Opeth.

1. Blackwater Park
2. Still Life
3. Watershed
4. Damnation
5. Ghost Reveries
6. My Arms Your Hearse

I don't know how to rank the others.

I can totally respect that list, and the fact that you even made a list! I cannot rank em lol.

BP was my first opeth album as well, after hearing Harvest on Pandora. I bought the album just based on Harvest, and man I was pretty shocked at how the rest of the album was, especially after hearing The Leper Affinity. But man that album is amazing.

My favorite opeth song is probably Deliverance. That Intro just blows me away every single time I hear it.

And anyone that likes death growls opeth should defiently check out Bloodbbath. Even though mikes no longer the lead singer, all bloodbath albums are awesome, especially Unblessing the Purity.

Just great great stuff.

Edit; just listened to the new single, sounds pretty good. So this album is gonna be like the last two, clean vocals only?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Actually really liked the song, except the very beginning. but I'm someone who also loved the last two records. Them going for are darker, somewhat stoner rockisch guitar sound is a nice change of pace.

I wasn't really digging it until the last 2 mins or so, I really liked that ending.

Sounded like a little Melvins influence peeking through there with the downtuned chugging guitar riffs.

Gotta say MAYH was one of my least favorites for a long time and then one day it just clicked with me. I think damnation and blackwater were my favorites at first, then ghost reveries, then watershed, then it became still life, and eventually hearse crept up.

Right now I think still life and mayh are in my top three

Heritage was ok but had zero staying power for me. I listened to pale communion way more but even then I rarely got past the first half of the album. I just really enjoy sun above moon below

April Ethereal followed by When is the winningest combo ever. So amazing. I can't say it enough lol

RDreamer

Honestly not feeling the song terribly much now. Might be better in context. I know Pale Communion's first single released is kinda like that, too. Didn't do a ton for me alone but works quite well on the album. Still really hyped for anything Opeth does.

Personally I really liked Heritage, especially after seeing it live. Their best concert I've ever seen them in was touring for Heritage. Pale Communion is a fucking prog classic in my opinion.

I just hope Mike can continue to do whatever the fuck he wants. I feel like he's earned it for me. They've put out consistently great music and I love seeing artists I'm a fan of genuinely do what they want.

Also, if we're ranking Opeth albums:

1. Ghost Reveries
2. My Arms Your Hearse
3. Blackwater Park
4. Pale Communion
5. Deliverance
6. Still Life
7. Damnation
8. Watershed
9. Heritage
10. Orchid
11. Morningrise

RangerX

Banned
The track is decent but the chugging part wasn't that great. I absolutely adored Pale communion so this has a lot to live up to. I'm suprised at the indifference to it here. I thought the album was generally well received. I do wish some of the death growls would come back though.

The track is decent but the chugging part wasn't that great. I absolutely adored Pale communion so this has a lot to live up to. I'm suprised at the indifference to it here. I thought the album was generally well received. I do wish some of the death growls would come back though.

Yea, I kinda like the clean vocal songs like Burden, windowpane, my time of need. For me, PC didn't have any songs close to them, imo. Not that is was a bad album, I liked cusp of eternity.

Edit; just listened to the new single, sounds pretty good. So this album is gonna be like the last two, clean vocals only?

AFAIK, nobody knows for sure, but it's a safe bet (clean vocals). Mikael has said in previous interviews he stopped being enamored with growling vocals, also... he is getting old and you can tell when playing live his growling is not as good as it used to be (which was really awesome).

Kuros

AFAIK, nobody knows for sure, but it's a safe bet (clean vocals). Mikael has said in previous interviews he stopped being enamored with growling vocals, also... he is getting old and you can tell when playing live his growling is not as good as it used to be (which was really awesome).

I think he's likely just sparing his vocal chords nowadays when he growls live now. Doing it night after night for 15 years isn't healthy and he could end up ruining his clean singing as well.

Look what happened to Hetfield and he wasn't even a full on cookie monster in his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom