• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Opeth Album Sorceress out September 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's likely just sparing his vocal chords nowadays when he growls live now. Doing it night after night for 15 years isn't healthy and he could end up ruining his clean singing as well.

Looks what happened to Hetfield and he wasn't even a full on cookie monster in his prime.

Mikael really needs to get a vocal coach like Melissa Cross. She works with Randy from Lamb Of God and Tommy from Between The Buried And Me so they don't destroy their voices.

I think he's likely just sparing his vocal chords nowadays when he growls live now. Doing it night after night for 15 years isn't healthy and he could end up ruining his clean singing as well.

Looks what happened to Hetfield and he wasn't even a full on cookie monster in his prime.

It could be, yeah.

Kuros

Mikael really needs to get a vocal coach like Melissa Cross. She works with Randy from Lamb Of God and Tommy from Between The Buried And Me so they don't destroy their voices.

I think that ship sailed a long time ago. And the times I've seen LoG live Randy has definitely been "saving" his voice as well.

It's just the way it goes.

My favorite opeth song is probably Deliverance. That Intro just blows me away every single time I hear it.

Edit; just listened to the new single, sounds pretty good. So this album is gonna be like the last two, clean vocals only?

My man!! That song is my absolute favorite! 13min of lusciousness!

I was never into them, as in, never paid much attention to them until I went to see them live with a buddy of mine. Fucking amazing how tight and perfect they sound live! A bunch of people around us were shitting on them because of Pale Communion not being heavy enough. I love that album.

I'm all for heavy shit as I still try to find the heaviest shit i can, but I've never been a fan of their growly vocals, especially with his great singing voice on PC. Here's hoping they keep the clean vocals but dial up the heaviness.

I wasn't really digging it until the last 2 mins or so, I really liked that ending.

Sounded like a little Melvins influence peeking through there with the downtuned chugging guitar riffs.

Ever listen to Netherlands? They've got a crunchy stoner metal vibe to them. Great, catchy stuff! The album is called Audobon.

platakul

Banned
Seems bad. I liked pale communion well enough so I'll give it a shot. Morningrise is far and away my favorite, so i like meandering stuff, but they need to chill with the lazy riffs

pablito

Look what happened to Hetfield and he wasn't even a full on cookie monster in his prime.

Yeah I ruined my growls after just a few years of doing it improperly. Used to be able to play almost all of Opeth's discography up to Ghost Reveries on guitar and vocals, but now attempting to do any kind of harsh or raspy vocals hurts very badly. Trying to sing in a higher register hurts sometimes, too. If he stops doing them it's for the better.

Ya'll crazy, this song is fucking beautiful.

Album ranking? Album ranking.

11. Heritage
10. Orchid
9. Pale Communion
8. Still Life
7. Morningrise
6. Ghost Reveries
5. Damnation
4. Watershed
3. My Arms, Your Hearse
2. Deliverance
1. Blackwater Park

11. Heritage
10. Pale Communion
9. Orchid
8. Ghost Reveries
7. Watershed
6. Morningrise
5. Deliverance
4. Damnation
3. My Arms, Your Hearse
2. Blackwater Park
1. Still Life

Keep in mind my ratings are this.

10/10: 8 Opeth albums
9/10: 2 Opeth Albums
8/10: 1 Opeth album

If Heritage included the bonus tracks instead of Slither and The Lines in My Hand as songs, it would be a nine.

The title "My Arms, Your Hearse" always sounded like an album title from an emo band. Freaking amazing album, but that title always strikes me as odd.

The title "My Arms, Your Hearse" always sounded like an album title from an emo band. Freaking amazing album, but that title always strikes me as odd.

It comes from a line from a band called Comus. Check them out.

Baying of the Hound also comes from a line from Comus. Check out the album First Utterance.

pablito

Keep in mind my ratings are this.

10/10: 8 Opeth albums

9/10: 2 Opeth Albums
8/10: 1 Opeth album

If Heritage included the bonus tracks instead of Slither and The Lines in My Hand as songs, it would be a nine.

Good, makes me not hate you putting Still Life so low :p

For me it's like 2 10s, a 9, 2 unrated, the rest 8s.

Good, makes me not hate you putting Still Life so low :p

For me it's like 2 10s, a 9, 2 unrated, the rest 8s.

Still LIfe used to be my favorite, actually. It's very personal in ratings for me, since it's one of those bands that I think probably averages the highest rating median, next to Meshuggah and Death. And I own all albums from those guys, unlike so many other bands where I don't have their entire discography.

Manu

God tier
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Deliverance/Damnation
Ghost Reveries

Awesome tier
Morningrise
My Arms, Your Hearse
Watershed

"It's okay" tier
Orchid
Heritage

Meh tier
Pale Communion

kingslunk

I dont think it has anything to do with losing his voice. I think he just isnt in that mindset and is more interested in making prog like music. It's not like he quit doing it live.

I dont think it has anything to do with losing his voice. I think he just isnt in that mindset and is more interested in making prog like music. It's not like he quit doing it live.

His growling has definitely gotten weaker in the concert setting. I would actually say his clean singing has gotten better though.

Gray Matter

Slightly off topic, but this is good to hear. BTBAM has been my favorite band for almost a decade now and I just couldn't imagine the band without tommys screams and growls. I'll be seeing the band play coma ecliptic in its entirety in September, can't wait.

Anyway back on track, mikaels vocal style has (had) always been on the extreme side in the early years, although there were lots of parts/songs that had clean vocals, the vast majority of their songs included his awesome growls. From recording and touring I'm not surprised that he stopped doing it altogether, but still a bit disappointing that we'll probably never get another heavy opeth record.

Harmen

I really liked that new song and I am excited that they seem to be embracing a bit more of their (previous) metal side too. I liked their previous two albums, but the contrast between mellow and heavy was quite a big part of what made their music speak to me, and I missed that. With heavyness I don't mean the growls perse, but their recent music also kind of lost its darker pieces/themes.

Furthermore, Mikeal does seem to be going for some more rock type of vocals here and there (also on Pale Communion). I think he is expanding on his clean vocals by singing with more dynamics.

Slightly off topic, but this is good to hear. BTBAM has been my favorite band for almost a decade now and I just couldn't imagine the band without tommys screams and growls. I'll be seeing the band play coma ecliptic in its entirety in September, can't wait.

Im insanely jealous. I want to see them again so bad but they're not coming anywhere near me :(.

As for Opeth, I feel like Mikael got tired of chasing the Blackwater Park perfection and went the opposite route back to his 70s prog roots. I miss "heavy" Opeth but i appreciate the new stuff in a different way.

mhayes86

God tier
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Deliverance/Damnation
Ghost Reveries

Awesome tier
Morningrise
My Arms, Your Hearse
Watershed

"It's okay" tier
Orchid
Heritage

Meh tier
Pale Communion

Huh, I'd say that this is pretty much my opinion of Opeth's discography as well, but move Watershed down to 'okay'.

Opeth was my favorite band for years starting back around 2002, but around Watershed's release I began to listen to them much less. I checked out Heritage and Pale Communion, but found myself turning on an earlier album instead. I listened to the new song from Sorceress today, which had some nice parts to it, but overall wasn't very interested. I'll still check out the album when it's released.

Cudder

Honestly not feeling the song terribly much now. Might be better in context. I know Pale Communion's first single released is kinda like that, too. Didn't do a ton for me alone but works quite well on the album. Still really hyped for anything Opeth does.

Personally I really liked Heritage, especially after seeing it live. Their best concert I've ever seen them in was touring for Heritage. Pale Communion is a fucking prog classic in my opinion.

I just hope Mike can continue to do whatever the fuck he wants. I feel like he's earned it for me. They've put out consistently great music and I love seeing artists I'm a fan of genuinely do what they want.

Also, if we're ranking Opeth albums:

1. Ghost Reveries
2. My Arms Your Hearse
3. Blackwater Park
4. Pale Communion
5. Deliverance
6. Still Life
7. Damnation
8. Watershed
9. Heritage
10. Orchid
11. Morningrise

Morningrise in last place... I never thought I'd see the day!

Gray Matter

Im insanely jealous. I want to see them again so bad but they're not coming anywhere near me :(.

As for Opeth, I feel like Mikael got tired of chasing the Blackwater Park perfection and went the opposite route back to his 70s prog roots. I miss "heavy" Opeth but i appreciate the new stuff in a different way.

Ah man, you gotta get out there. This will be the first tour where they play the entire album. I'm super pumped.

RDreamer

I want to know your ratings, personally.

I'd probably have to give it a ton of thought and I'm not sure the actual rankings would end up the same afterwards. I kind of feel like Opeth is one of the hardest bands I know to actually rank. I would say for sure that Ghost Reveries and MAYH have floated to the top. Other than that it's kind of a clusterfuck. I have the most nostalgia for Deliverance. Damnation is hard as fuck to compare to anything. Heritage too, kind of. I haven't honestly listened to Orchid and Morningrise in a while so my memory on those might be hazier. I mean, I love them, it's just been a while compared to some of the others. I feel like Heritage probably would have come in last if it weren't for the live show they put on for that tour that really made me fall in love with it much more.

I guess my quick instinct is something like:

1. Ghost Reveries 10/10
2. My Arms Your Hearse 10/10
3. Blackwater Park 9.5/10
4. Pale Communion 9.5/10
5. Deliverance 9.5/10
6. Still Life 9/10
7. Damnation 9/10
8. Watershed 8.5/10
9. Heritage 8.5/10
10. Orchid 8.5/10
11. Morningrise 8.5/10

I am proud of this. The immaculate musical titan that is Opeth deserves to be immortalized for all eternity.
Agreed, such a magnificent band and Benighted is probably my favorite acoustic song to play on guitar. Can't see myself ever falling out of love with this band, especially if this album is as good as that review says it is.

I heard the title track. It's good, but not what I'm looking for. I'll always have Blackwater Park I suppose. One of the most amazing albums I've ever heard and my gateway to tons of music. Also, Mikael is able to capture the absolute raw emotion of sheer sadness so well on that album, sweet jesus. I cannot get over it, even all these years later I can still get chills from that album.

Altazor

as long as it's good... 'cause I didn't like Heritage or Pale Communion that much, actually. Outside of specific songs, specific moments, the albums themselves didn't mean much to me. And I like prog.

So, anyway, if I end up not liking Sorceress... I don't think it'll be due to its lack of quality or whatever. Opeth is still an excellent band, but their latest releases haven't been for me. And that's alright, I think.

I heard the title track. It's good, but not what I'm looking for. I'll always have Blackwater Park I suppose. One of the most amazing albums I've ever heard and my gateway to tons of music. Also, Mikael is able to capture the absolute raw emotion of sheer sadness so well on that album, sweet jesus. I cannot get over it, even all these years later I can still get chills from that album.

SICK LIAISONS RAISED THIS MONUMENTAL MARK
THE SUN SETS FOREVER
OVER BLACKWATER PARK

what a fucking ending. It's chilling as fuck.

as long as it's good... 'cause I didn't like Heritage or Pale Communion that much, actually. Outside of specific songs, specific moments, the albums themselves didn't mean much to me. And I like prog.

So, anyway, if I end up not liking Sorceress... I don't think it'll be due to its lack of quality or whatever. Opeth is still an excellent band, but their latest releases haven't been for me. And that's alright, I think.

SICK LIAISONS RAISED THIS MONUMENTAL MARK
THE SUN SETS FOREVER
OVER BLACKWATER PARK

what a fucking ending. It's chilling as fuck.

One of the most powerful songs ever written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom